Jan. 7 Poll Clues! Sailing Skill [NEW] Exploration Skill

Gandorf61

You're just being paranoyd. Even if they do decide to release the Sailing skill, it's not going to be any time soon in my opinion. And I don't think it was a hint or anything close to that whatsoever.

Personally i just think theyre trying to mess with people. Theyve done it in the past when people got too excited about certain rumours.

Besides, seems rather odd that they would announce that 2009 is going to focus on tweaks and updating old content, then less than a week after drop hints about a new skill. To me, it feels like they want to take a break from the whole "1+ skill a year" thing that theyve been doing for very long, to focus on what theyve already got, which would be a very smart move in my opinion.

Agreed.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I loved reading the debates throughout this thread. Good stuff. Personally, I believe in the possibility of Sailing.

Out of curiosity, has anyone genuinely checked the KBase and Hiscores for Sailing Icons/pre-released beta articles?

If Sailing were to be the next update, which I highly doubt, its articles' IDs would being at ID=876, which currently has no article registered (suggesting it isn't close to being released).

In Pyre Need Quest Article (latest officially released article): http://www.runescape.com/kbase/viewarti ... cle_id=875

Skills have no category organization that I can think of, Summoning is ID=24, ID=25 is a player gallery, and other skills are in the ID=700+ range

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

This stupid skill probably will come out. It doesn't even fit in with Runescape, all of the other skills have a sort of "second" to them. Such as Mining and Smithing...Sailing is just stupid and not needed. :? If they try to make it unique like they did to Summoning then it'll probably be even dumber and your boat can fly or something.

This stupid skill probably will come out. It doesn't even fit in with Runescape, all of the other skills have a sort of "second" to them. Such as Mining and Smithing...Sailing is just stupid and not needed. :? If they try to make it unique like they did to Summoning then it'll probably be even dumber and your boat can fly or something.

What's really stupid is that post.

I'll give you some pointers of the possibilities sailing brings forth.

The obvious, New maps. New maps needs something to them though, so that equals new content, and we all know we want it. New monsters, new equipment, new training spots, new quests, maybe even Player-owned-islands.

PvP battles, big fleets ruling parts of the ocean. Even the gnomes have a battlefleet, so why not us? Think big. Trading between harbours, increasing reward by the distance, being vurnerable to hijacking loot. Defending harbours, islands or a convoy.

People, PLEASE stop jumping on the "OMG SAILING IS STUPID AND IT'LL NEVER COME OUT" bandwagon. Seriously, it's getting old.

OT: It definitely seems like that hint was put out to advertise sailing. I have a feeling it's coming out within the next couple of months because of how Jagex showed how they work on skills and the time it takes to release it. Sailing could be amazing with these HD graphics.

Trapt45.png

People, PLEASE stop jumping on the "OMG SAILING IS STUPID AND IT'LL NEVER COME OUT" bandwagon. Seriously, it's getting old.

OT: It definitely seems like that hint was put out to advertise sailing. I have a feeling it's coming out within the next couple of months because of how Jagex showed how they work on skills and the time it takes to release it. Sailing could be amazing with these HD graphics.

yea, im not 100% for sailing but, it might and probably will happen.

also, who says that a skill has to have tons of great abilities that will make it the talk of the town(hint: talk of the town refers to the new "town managment" skill comming soon). but seriously maybe sailing will be almost like agility, what other skill is atatched to agility? what does agility even do? agility helps you go places, and go to places faster. maybe sailing will only have maybe 8 different islands to explore, but on the island there will be other stuff to do! and also with new ports sailing could help you get to places faster(perhaps you could actualy pay to use "private" dock and go up and down rivers, around coasts or other places. imagine being able to get to the jungle area of karamga(sp?) without having to telly ardy, boat to brim, wagon to shilo, exit shilo and walk all the way there)

i think sailing is a good idea :thumbsup: ...

ps. if you didn't even read my entire post dont flame me, for the love of guthix at least be open to new concepts even if you don't think it is a good idea

Y_Z.png

yea, im not 100% for sailing but, it might and probably will happen.

also, who says that a skill has to have tons of great abilities that will make it the talk of the town(hint: talk of the town refers to the new "town managment" skill comming soon). but seriously maybe sailing will be almost like agility, what other skill is atatched to agility? what does agility even do? agility helps you go places, and go to places faster. maybe sailing will only have maybe 8 different islands to explore, but on the island there will be other stuff to do! and also with new ports sailing could help you get to places faster(perhaps you could actualy pay to use "private" dock and go up and down rivers, around coasts or other places. imagine being able to get to the jungle area of karamga(sp?) without having to telly ardy, boat to brim, wagon to shilo, exit shilo and walk all the way there)

i think sailing is a good idea :thumbsup: ...

ps. if you didn't even read my entire post dont flame me, for the love of guthix at least be open to new concepts even if you don't think it is a good idea

Exactly, and honestly we all know how creative Jagex can get when they put their mind to it for all the people saying "sailing is stupid and a waste of time so how could it be fun?". Sailing seems to be boring and useless but we can only guess what they're going to do. New islands, random encounters (possibly with your friends), PVP ship battles, POS (Player Owned Ships) so you can make your ship a war machine or a party boat and that's only from 2 seconds of thinking.

Trapt45.png

We don't need a new skill. Hunter is only good for about 5 items, total failure. Farming was also a disaster. Construction is not a very popular skill and is rarely used. Summoning is the only recently released skill that has much relevance. Instead of new skills, jag needs to improve existing content. Like the area north of Varrock. I don't see many people there. Maybe they could let people fight there, or something.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

^ What is wrong with hunter, farming and construction?

Farming has a brilliant concept behind it that adds more than just repetitive clicking. Sure the game could go on without it but not every skill has to intertwine with everything else.

Construction on the other hand is extremely useful and helpful if you have the money to put into it. I love my house and think POH are a great part of the game.

I can see your point on how hunter doesn't have a lot of uses but even so it is still a skill that many love and enjoy. Red Chinning is great for range and a lot of the equipment is used in things like thieving and runecrafting. It's personally not my favourite skill but it does have a lot of potential.

Maybe Jagex will use sailing to add on to other skills therefore making game improvements but also bringing a new skill in.

I didn't feel like being one of those people who comes here, posts in question to why you are speculating, spams a bit about speculation, and then leaves. *leaves*

If we are to receive and update related to sailing, I hope it is that within the mini-game that they are working on. The ability to create our armies and then use both land and sea in order to conquer our enemies would appeal to me, as it would relate to some other RTS games that I enjoy.

I don't believe we need anymore skills unless they are extremely slow and expensive. I don't mean like construction or summoning. I mean a skill that will take a year to achieve 99 in and will cost 2B+ to achieve with the cheap, time consuming method. Then I won't train the skill, and just watch to see who else does. ::'

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

I didn't feel like being one of those people who comes here, posts in question to why you are speculating, spams a bit about speculation, and then leaves. *leaves*

Thank you for being considerate to our thoughts and opinions. ::'

If we are to receive and update related to sailing, I hope it is that within the mini-game that they are working on. The ability to create our armies and then use both land and sea in order to conquer our enemies would appeal to me, as it would relate to some other RTS games that I enjoy.

Oh that would be a cool idea. Hmm it would make sense too as Mobilizing Armies was supposed to come out in December but then they delayed it. Perhaps they will incorporate sailing into that minigame.

You're just being paranoyd. Even if they do decide to release the Sailing skill, it's not going to be any time soon in my opinion. And I don't think it was a hint or anything close to that whatsoever.

Personally i just think theyre trying to mess with people. Theyve done it in the past when people got too excited about certain rumours.

Besides, seems rather odd that they would announce that 2009 is going to focus on tweaks and updating old content, then less than a week after drop hints about a new skill. To me, it feels like they want to take a break from the whole "1+ skill a year" thing that theyve been doing for very long, to focus on what theyve already got, which would be a very smart move in my opinion.

Agreed.

Maybe they will release the sailing skill 2 months early, so they can fix it.

b6ebdf2a12.png

armycommandercopy.png

Agreed.

Maybe they will release the sailing skill 2 months early, so they can fix it.

lol, i dont think sailing batch one could top summoning batch one! [/sarcasm]

summoning batch one was absolutely completely horendously disgustingly un thought out and terribly horrible :x :x

i hope they learned their lesson about that (and releasing hints/development diaries 4 months early :evil: )...but nonetheless I would love a new skill to come out relatively soon, It's been about a year so I think we should be due for one in the coming months

I don't know why everyone seems to have an unnatural hatred for sailing, I can see it as a very viable skill.

imagine:hundereds of different randomly generated islands that add new content to almost all the skills. new monsters for slayer, new creatures to hunt, new ores to mine, new trees to plant, logs to cut, fish to catch, civilisations to theive from, herbs to make potions with.

a PVP pirate minigame.

player owned islands? could also introduce yet another factor to PVP, what with being able to loot other players islands?

please, if somebody really, really hates sailing, i would like to know why. fear of change? or can you just not see the good points?

2Xeo5.png

I don't know why everyone seems to have an unnatural hatred for sailing, I can see it as a very viable skill.

imagine:hundereds of different randomly generated islands that add new content to almost all the skills. new monsters for slayer, new creatures to hunt, new ores to mine, new trees to plant, logs to cut, fish to catch, civilisations to theive from, herbs to make potions with.

a PVP pirate minigame.

player owned islands? could also introduce yet another factor to PVP, what with being able to loot other players islands?

please, if somebody really, really hates sailing, i would like to know why. fear of change? or can you just not see the good points?

All fo those things sound real nice when you are TALKING about them, but they would be much more complicated to actaully implement.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

I concur that quoted post is indeed stupid. And in fact i just happen to have a game on computer (Tradewinds: Legends) where at one point in the game you can have a flying boat. Its not really that far fetched of an idea, in the game your boat just has a giant bag of gas/hot air over it secured by a net like thing. Hell, we could get a quest that would allow us to make flying ships if we have a certain level in sailing and completed that one hot air ballon quest (forget its name atm).

And can you imagine the possibilites of a flying ship in a realm of magic? There could be open portals to other dimensions you can fly through, mystical high flying creatures you could capture with the hunter skill or kill to get charms of that monster to summon a spirit familiar of it. Hell if they could make a ship fly in game there could be even flying cities that grow special types of herbs or wood, maybe even unique ore. If people would stop being so provincial they could see sailing has unlimited potential.

(also i accredit the inspiration for some of these ideas to: Tradewinds: Legends, (books): The Golden Compass series, and The Airborne series)

cool_sig1.jpg

a PVP pirate minigame.

All fo those things sound real nice when you are TALKING about them, but they would be much more complicated to actaully implement.

Yeha, they are hard and complicated to impliment, but thats exactly why we are playing a game designed by a multi-million dollar company!!!!

cool_sig1.jpg

Read my Sig.

Ever since that dumb fake on the hiscores, people have been paranoid about Sailing. Like this thread is, Sailing is a commonly used word in the English language with many viable meanings. Just because they said it in a sentence doesn't mean it's gonna come out. This thread is equivalent to me making a thread quoting basically every sentence Jagex staff personal have ever written and claiming that because they said the word "the" that a skill would be coming out called "the". That's just an example don't tell me that they wouldn't come out with a skill called "the" because they obviously would not.

patr1ckotg1.png

Read my Sig.

Ever since that dumb fake on the hiscores, people have been paranoid about Sailing. Like this thread is, Sailing is a commonly used word in the English language with many viable meanings. Just because they said it in a sentence doesn't mean it's gonna come out. This thread is equivalent to me making a thread quoting basically every sentence Jagex staff personal have ever written and claiming that because they said the word "the" that a skill would be coming out called "the". That's just an example don't tell me that they wouldn't come out with a skill called "the" because they obviously would not.

You are a complete and utter idiot if you can't acknowledge there is at least some possibility that the wording was intentional. Everyone knows Jagex loves to just hint and poke at things that are coming. And one of the most cryptic clues you can leave is a somewhat commonly used phrase that could have a deeper meaning.

And your also and idiot for saying just because someone faked a picture it isn't real. You can say the same thing about big foot or crop circles. But until you work for Jagex and are in on everything that is happening. You can not say there is not a sailing skill. And your a complete fool for saying you will quit if Sailing does come out, for all you know it could have some little tid bit that could just make you drool its so good.

God i've met Jesus-Freaks that are less narrow minded than you anti-sailing people.

cool_sig1.jpg

Yeah, well talking about it is the first step. How do you think the idea for Construction was formulated?

Read my Sig.

You are a complete and utter idiot if you can't acknowledge there is at least some possibility that the wording was intentional. Everyone knows Jagex loves to just hint and poke at things that are coming. And one of the most cryptic clues you can leave is a somewhat commonly used phrase that could have a deeper meaning.

And your also and idiot for saying just because someone faked a picture it isn't real. You can say the same thing about big foot or crop circles. But until you work for Jagex and are in on everything that is happening. You can not say there is not a sailing skill. And your a complete fool for saying you will quit if Sailing does come out, for all you know it could have some little tid bit that could just make you drool its so good.

God i've met Jesus-Freaks that are less narrow minded than you anti-sailing people.

Big Foot and Crop circles are fake, that's the key. All evidence to both has been discounted and revealed as false and impossible every time.

I can say there isn't a sailing skill in Runescape, because there isn't. What the logical community will not allow is people like yourself who throw the subject into a manner in which you cannot possibly lose the argument until Runescape shuts down. Until the day Runescape shuts down, you will continue to claim that it is on its way, and will never accept that you were wrong in your speculation.

Do not bring Construction into this; Construction was on the skill list for a year.

Do not bring Summoning into this; Summoning had the life rune, and was announced in March 2004.

Do not bring hunter into this. Hunter was actively hinted at in-game with the large amount of new animals Jagex added to the landscape before its release

Do not bring farming or Slayer into this. Just because those two skills were not hinted at or expected, does not mean that every skill nobody has ever expected will be coming to Runescape.

The idea of Sailing sounds fun. Leveling up and building myself a big boat through which I can traverse the open seas, fishing and cooking my catches, fighting sea monsters, and finding new areas, battling sea monsters, finding brand new items for various skills (New herbs, new ore, new plants, etc).

I can not, however, discount that there is no evidence for Sailing.

I'm not saying that those who believe in Sailing are idiots, or that it's never coming out. I'm just saying; don't get your hopes up. Don't go wild whenever Jagex releases what might be a cryptic hint, and don't be disappointed whenever they don't come through. Do you remember when you were a kid around Christmas and you were absolutely sure you were getting a certain toy or game? You pestered your parents for it so much it must be chiseled into their forehead, and the way they said "We'll see what Santa brings" with that smile on their face practically gave it away. Then Christmas comes, and there's no Gameboy Pocket underneath the tree. DAMN YOU SANT- :-# I'm rambling.

I'm just saying, healthy speculation is fine, but this whole debate is getting incredibly out of control, I feel like I'm witnessing two fanatic groups trying to kill one another over Runescape.

Oh and: Jesus freaks have a book to go off of that isn't in the fiction section. That does give them a slightly bigger edge of believability than Sailing. Not much, but slightly higher.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Read my Sig.

Big Foot and Crop circles are fake, that's the key. All evidence to both has been discounted and revealed as false and impossible every time.

I can say there isn't a sailing skill in Runescape, because there isn't. What the logical community will not allow is people like yourself who throw the subject into a manner in which you cannot possibly lose the argument until Runescape shuts down. Until the day Runescape shuts down, you will continue to claim that it is on its way, and will never accept that you were wrong in your speculation.

Do not bring Construction into this; Construction was on the skill list for a year.

Do not bring Summoning into this; Summoning had the life rune, and was announced in March 2004.

Do not bring hunter into this. Hunter was actively hinted at in-game with the large amount of new animals Jagex added to the landscape before its release

Do not bring farming or Slayer into this. Just because those two skills were not hinted at or expected, does not mean that every skill nobody has ever expected will be coming to Runescape.

The idea of Sailing sounds fun. Leveling up and building myself a big boat through which I can traverse the open seas, fishing and cooking my catches, fighting sea monsters, and finding new areas, battling sea monsters, finding brand new items for various skills (New herbs, new ore, new plants, etc).

I can not, however, discount that there is no evidence for Sailing.

I'm not saying that those who believe in Sailing are idiots, or that it's never coming out. I'm just saying; don't get your hopes up. Don't go wild whenever Jagex releases what might be a cryptic hint, and don't be disappointed whenever they don't come through. Do you remember when you were a kid around Christmas and you were absolutely sure you were getting a certain toy or game? You pestered your parents for it so much it must be chiseled into their forehead, and the way they said "We'll see what Santa brings" with that smile on their face practically gave it away. Then Christmas comes, and there's no Gameboy Pocket underneath the tree. DAMN YOU SANT- :-# I'm rambling.

I'm just saying, healthy speculation is fine, but this whole debate is getting incredibly out of control, I feel like I'm witnessing two fanatic groups trying to kill one another over Runescape.

Oh and: Jesus freaks have a book to go off of that isn't in the fiction section. That does give them a slightly bigger edge of believability than Sailing. Not much, but slightly higher.

1. Don't even get me started on Big foot, crop circles i'm iffy on, but i could write a damn college paper on big foot(s).

And i agree with you about the fanatic groups killing each other. I'm just on the side of sailing just because, it is plausible and the large ammount of people that are all "OMFG SAILING IS THE ANTI-CHRIST OMFG".

cool_sig1.jpg

My guess is that its not sailing, its the exploration skill. This guy posted awhile back on runescape forums with his idea of a skill exploration which included some sort of sailing. The topic went on for about 6 pages and every post was a positive post, around like the 4th page a mod posted and said that they would take this suggestion into very deep consideration. Tbh I hope it is exploration cause when I read his idea I was in awe.

Lemme see if I can find the link.

EDIT: found quick-find code - 76-77-139-57861125

DOUBLE EDIT: Lol now its at 33 pages of positive so check it out.

d6e4cdbc5e.png

a PVP pirate minigame.

Please, explain to me how it would be difficult to implement something as simple as new resources to cut/mine/fish/slay/make, etc.

I agree with him. Sailing has much potential that ignorant players seem to be overlooking. In my experiences anyway, most people who really choose to "hate" a skill are people who love combat more than skilling, aren't very high in total, or, quite frankly, are just 15 year olds who can't have viable opinions of their own because they don't research and/or think something through in its entirety.

I'm not saying you have to approve of the skill. But if you choose to "loathe" an idea, threaten to quit RS if the skill were released, and/or disapprove of an idea, you should at least have some constructive criticism to back it up. It's like people who say "Sailing would be SO lame. Sailing to an island? How is that fun?" don't really stop and think that perhaps the skill could be more than just sailing to an island. It could include building a ship (and being able to own a nice, larger, more expensive ship with higher levels), pirating and looting other ships, searching for treasure out at sea, allowing access to new islands where new slayer monsters, trees, rocks, fish can be caught.

There's so many amazing possibilities for the skill I just can't understand how people can threaten to quit over it.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png