Build The Cheapest Gaming Computer - Fun Topic

InkofDeath

I don't mean to physically go buy one and make it, just on here, go to sites that offer the products and build a gaming computer. However the gaming computer has to be able to play the majority of 3D games at max settings with over 30 FPS. Computer needs to be able to boot in less than 7 minutes as well. The maximum price should be $1000. As well use parts from sites that will ship to your country, don't place links to newegg if they don't ship to your country/area. Foreign sites that do ship to your country are allowed though. I'd also recommend not using Linux as the O/S, but that's debatable and just a personal choice majority of the time. Must be a desktop. =P

This is just meant to be a fun topic for several reasons. For one it shows how quickly prices begin to drop as our economy gets worse, and technological advancements put prices down (considerably). Lately many sites have been showing off how cheap you can get for a decent gaming computer for under $800. Not to mention we can show those console freaks that PC gaming isn't expensive, and that to me is enough reason to build one.

Anyways here's my go on building the cheapest gaming computer:

*I used everything from one site:

Case: iablotek CPA-802 ATX Mid-Tower - $53.99

PSU: Power Up - $53.99

MotherBoard: Biostar TP43D2-A7 - $119.99

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 - $139.99

HDD: Seagate Barracuda - $49.99 x2

Graphics Card: Saphire 4830 - $139.99

RAM: OCZ SLI-Ready 4GB - $39.99

Monitor: Acer P201Wd 20" LCD - $172.97

Right here the cost is $808.88 (Canadian). This doesn't include the devices below. I'm separating because the majority of people who build their first computer would already have the below components, but to be truthful to be building a comp from scratch I'll do em anyways - even though it's redundant:

Optical Drive: Lite-On DVD Drive - $33.99

Keyboard: Adesso MultiMedia Keyboard - $13.99

Mouse: Adesso 1600DPI Mouse - $19.99

Speakers: Logitech X-140 - $27.99

Headphones/Mic: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3092939&csid=_25]Logitech ClearChat - $26.99

Final Total: $931.83 (Canadian)

Overall I could have gotten half of the price for the 4gigs wit just 2, could have gotten a 17" monitor, a cheaper headset, or just got no speakers at all, would have gotten only one HDD, but for recording gameplay two HDD's is a must, could have gotten a $20 case, but it would be cramped. All of that probably could knock off $100. Then again I didn't include an O/S since you could get Linux, or get W7 when it's released, but I guess Xp would have done until W7 was released, then upgrade. Also my prices are Canadian, not American, so I don't really know how much that would be in American. =P

Still I'm pretty happy with that result. It will play everything especially since you can easily OC that 4830 to a 4850 or higher, without needing any extra equipment.

Your turn.

Sites:

tigerdirect.com

tigerdirect.ca

newegg.com

newegg.ca

CPU- AMD Athalon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6ghz $60

GPU- EVGA 8600GT 256MB $40

RAM- Corsair 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR2 800 $45

HD- Seagate 400GB 7200RPM $50

CD/DVD- LITE-ON 16x DVD 48x CD $18

Mobo- BIOSTAR nForce 520D $49.99

CASE- Linkworld /w 400W PSU $36.99

OS- Microsoft XP OEM $90

Total Price: $390

Me and Ultima did this a little bit back. A sub $400 computer that can run any game you want it to (even Crysis on low/medium probably). Prices have probably cheapened too.

I know this isn't from the listed sites nor is it the cheapest but since this is a fun thread I thought I'd post the most expensive computer I could find/make.

# CPU - Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

# RAM - 32GB (8x4GB) (Most expensive part of the whole thing)

# Mac Pro RAID Card

# HDD - 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s x4

# Graphics Card - NVIDIA Quadro FX 5600 1.5GB

# CD Drives - Two 16x SuperDrives - ~$100 each

# Monitor #1 - Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel) - $1,799.00 each

# Monitor #2 - Apple Cinema HD Display (30" flat panel)

All of this (and a few things not listed) came to a total of $26,958.95

Someone buy one and send it to me@@@

And please tell me what someone is going to do with 32GB of RAM?

~~Chaise91~~

It's called high high end rendering station, Chaise. I mean that's what the FX5600 is for anyways. Fun fact, but that rig probably would not play games very well at all. :)

Yeah I know Macs aren't really good for gaming but good for companies that do 4D designing and crap like that.

The other option was 4 NVIDIA 9800(?) cards. Wonder if those would be good. :P

~~Chaise91~~

CPU- AMD Athalon 64 X2 5000+ 2.6ghz $60

GPU- EVGA 8600GT 256MB $40

RAM- Corsair 4GB (2x 2GB) DDR2 800 $45

HD- Seagate 400GB 7200RPM $50

CD/DVD- LITE-ON 16x DVD 48x CD $18

Mobo- BIOSTAR nForce 520D $49.99

CASE- Linkworld /w 400W PSU $36.99

OS- Microsoft XP OEM $90

Total Price: $390

Me and Ultima did this a little bit back. A sub $400 computer that can run any game you want it to (even Crysis on low/medium probably). Prices have probably cheapened too.

Niice :)

I might actually do a build similar to that soon.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

It's called high high end rendering station, Chaise. I mean that's what the FX5600 is for anyways. Fun fact, but that rig probably would not play games very well at all. :)

Yeah I know Macs aren't really good for gaming but good for companies that do 4D designing and crap like that.

The other option was 4 NVIDIA 9800(?) cards. Wonder if those would be good. :P

I'm not talking about macs, just render stations in general. Macs aren't really used for 3D design.

Also 4 9800s wouldn't be that crazy. Highest would be Tri-SLI GTX285's.

^ I'd say... :shock:

No no, what's that super-high-end card by nVidia... Crap I can't remember. In any case, total /drool.

Are you referring to the GTX295?

Avatar by Unoalexi :: Signature by Skull_Emblem

Illumination Graphics :: Click here to download the BeyondGFX resource pack!

beyondgfx.png

Jason321.png

No no, what's that super-high-end card by nVidia... Crap I can't remember. In any case, total /drool.

The highest end was GTX295 (which is SLI GTX280 cores on one card). However, the GTX285 IIRC is just a higher clocked GTX280, and Tri-SLI GTX285 beats out the SLI GTX295 in tests (since you can't tri SLI it). [1]

Oh and this is what Tri SLI GTX285's do to crysis.

trisli285_g_08.gif

The highest end was GTX295 (which is SLI GTX280 cores on one card). However, the GTX285 IIRC is just a higher clocked GTX280, and Tri-SLI GTX285 beats out the SLI GTX295 in tests (since you can't tri SLI it). [1]

Oh and this is what Tri SLI GTX285's do to crysis.

trisli285_g_08.gif

I can't see the picture, and says Forbidden when I try to load it directly.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Have fun trying anything to run with wine :lol:

I had a look at the cheapest alienware build, was about £850 D:. The only main thing I could see that was better about it was the card (4850 HD), it didn't even include a screen.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Have fun trying anything to run with wine :lol:

I had a look at the cheapest alienware build, was about £850 D:. The only main thing I could see that was better about it was the card (4850 HD), it didn't even include a screen.

Well, some things work with it. I only tried it briefly a year ago.

I got XP licenses here, but i guess that wouldn't be the "spirit" of this topic? Using an OS you already got?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I might be interested in Nadrils computer :o

My pc I own atm is a pain for playing games so ..

When building your own pc , you just put all dah stuff in da case?

ffvsiefh7.gif

What-the-deuce.jpg

Signature by Littleboy

Runescape and impatient people are like ying and yang, they exist as one, they need each other

If you aren't sure your best bet is to find someone to do it for you. If you've got a local 'computer guy' type person they'd probably be able to show you how, for a small fee (hopefully).

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Make sure you have sandpaper (to make sure the edges fit and you don't hurt yourself), blowtorch/welding gear (to make the metal bits stay) some static electricity generators in order to start your PC for the first time ever.

eggzs.png

Make sure you have sandpaper (to make sure the edges fit and you don't hurt yourself), blowtorch/welding gear (to make the metal bits stay) some static electricity generators in order to start your PC for the first time ever.

Don't forget a hammer to pound the pieces together :roll:

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Don't forget a hammer to pound the pieces together :roll:

..And some duct tape to keep the processor on the mobo.

~~Chaise91~~

Cheap and gaming don't really go together does it? To play new games with decent FPS on a typical monitor (1680x1050) you'll need at least a decent CPU and GPU (cost about $300?) which doesn't include motherboard, RAM, etc.

I'm planning to build a PC this summer and hopefully I won't cross the 1k threshold (this including the other hardware - lcd, kb+m, etc.)

Cheap and gaming don't really go together does it? To play new games with decent FPS on a typical monitor (1680x1050) you'll need at least a decent CPU and GPU (cost about $300?) which doesn't include motherboard, RAM, etc.

I'm planning to build a PC this summer and hopefully I won't cross the 1k threshold (this including the other hardware - lcd, kb+m, etc.)

Look at my build Shadow. The entire computer and OS costs $380. (maybe a little more or less, some of those may have been "deals" at the time we did it).

PC gaming is only expensive if you don't know where to look.