Swedish/folk/finish/ metal

yaff2

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

UK, Norway, USA >>>> Sweden, Finland
I hate Norwegain metal apart from a few.

Finalnd shouldn't even be grouped together with Sweden.

UK, USA, Finland > Norway >>>> Sweden

Sweden gave us melodeath, Opeth and Meshuggah. I used to love all of those, but then I listened to better and more interesting stuff from other countries. Anata is a nice Swedish band though imo.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finland and Sweden have the greatest metal bands, by far. I also like a lot of their female fronted (power)metal bands, but I haven't named them here.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah good one.

I'm very sorry for you.. but it's my opinion, so you can't challenge that.

Finland and Sweden have the greatest metal bands, by far. I also like a lot of their female fronted (power)metal bands, but I haven't named them here.

I can name a few.I still enjoy old NightWish and Epica.

Nightwish is still my most played band :)

UK, Norway, USA >>>> Sweden, Finland

If that's your opinion, fine, but gtfo this topic then.

Sorry, I just did. Are you going to defend yourself or keep [bleep]ing like a [bleep]?

lol nightwish? you are a [bleep].

no, it's not opinion, it's fact, you idiot. i know more about swedish/finnish metal than you anyways.

p915h.gif

Opeth, Meshuggah, and Necrophagist. <3:

(And Cynic. Half of the current lineup is Dutch. ;) )

Almost forgot Meshuggah and Opeth. :o

By the way, saying half the lineup of Cynic is Dutch is kind of deceptive. Paul and Sean are easily the two main members of that band, and they're American. It's an American band.

Hence the winking smiley! Twas a joke.

;)

I met Paul and Sean when they played their second show in the US on February 2nd.

50935101io6.jpg

Sorry, I tend to look at many smileys as having ambiguous meanings, so it's hard to tell what people are trying to say with them.

It's really cool that you met Paul and Sean though. Paul is definitely one of my favourite guitarists in metal at the moment.

Adio, god damn stop trolling in this thread.

And as they say "there's always a bigger fish", meaning that i know more about Scandinavian metal than you (annoying sentence by me, but i felt the need to say it).

Bwahaha... The elitistics of metal.

Anyways, Impaled Nazarene might be worth checking out also.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

And as they say "there's always a bigger fish", meaning that i know more about Scandinavian metal than you (annoying sentence by me, but i felt the need to say it).

no. and please, leave the "proverbs" out of this - we already know that I know more than anyone in this thread thus far about "Scandinavian metal" - funny how I hardly listen to it too! regardless, do you know even know what the word 'elitist' means as a noun? i didn't think so. now if you want to attack my elitist attitude, well sure, go ahead - doesn't change the fact that I'm still better than you.

wow, damn, i feel great. is it just hot in this thread or am i on ffffireeee? yea, i haven't felt like this in a while, woo!

p915h.gif

no. and please, leave the "proverbs" out of this - we already know that I know more than anyone in this thread thus far about "Scandinavian metal" - funny how I hardly listen to it too! regardless, do you know even know what the word 'elitist' means as a noun? i didn't think so. now if you want to attack my elitist attitude, well sure, go ahead - doesn't change the fact that I'm still better than you.

wow, damn, i feel great. is it just hot in this thread or am i on ffffireeee? yea, i haven't felt like this in a while, woo!

I know more about Post-industrial-ambient-death-fusion-metal than you. My favorite band is Äkklóûtisk. They have 23 members: 21 cellists, a drummer, and a glockenspiel. They're so obscure, they don't even exist. I saw Burzum in 1967 when James Hetfield was their bass player. What are your credentials, [wagon]?

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I know more about Post-industrial-ambient-death-fusion-metal than you. My favorite band is Äkklóûtisk. They have 23 members: 21 cellists, a drummer, and a glockenspiel. They're so obscure, they don't even exist. I saw Burzum in 1967 when James Hetfield was their bass player. What are your credentials, [wagon]?

Everything you just said - [cabbage]. Anyways, nice try, but it was a spectacular failure. I never mentioned the word 'obscure', (in fact, you probably listener to 'obscurer' bands than I do). So, I guess you're talking about a completely different thing.

F. - next?

p915h.gif

Yup.Metal sure is a genre for men,not whiny babies.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

At least it gives this thread something worth reading.

You can't go wrong with a little Nighwish. So, maybe you should try them. They make symphonic metal, and they used to have a great singer. She broke up with the band, but they've got a new one now. Dark Passion Play is a great album, with Anette Olzon on vocals, but she can't beat Tarja in my eyes. My favourite Nightwish album is the classic Wishmaster. It's got the classic Dead Boys Poem. It's such an emotional song, it makes me cry every time I hear it.

[yt]yOPqrG007Jo[/yt]

:cry: One of the best songs ever.

[edit] Azvareth is a fan as well. Maybe you can give him a PM on Nightwish. His knowledge stretches far. I heard he even drank a beer with their guitarist.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

At least it gives this thread something worth reading.

You can't go wrong with a little Nighwish. So, maybe you should try them. They make symphonic metal, and they used to have a great singer. She broke up with the band, but they've got a new one now. Dark Passion Play is a great album, with Anette Olzon on vocals, but she can't beat Tarja in my eyes. My favourite Nightwish album is the classic Wishmaster. It's got the classic Dead Boys Poem. It's such an emotional song, it makes me cry every time I hear it.

[edit] Azvareth is a fan as well. Maybe you can give him a PM on Nightwish. His knowledge stretches far. I heard he even drank a beer with their guitarist.

Tarja has a solo record now,I believe.DPP kind of changed their play style a bit,you can tell in the instrumental versions.I quite like Angels Fall First,though truthfully my favorite song is Over the Hills and Far Away (Cover of that guy's version,Gary Moore or something,not the Led Zeppelin one)...

And if Azvy had a beer with Empuu or Marco,I might have to seclude myself for a few years crying tears of jealous rage.

devilgod.jpeg

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Right, I'll never understand why some people like trolling on threads where they don't like the topic. Okay, you don't like it, whatever. Are people not allowed to have a discussion about stuff you don't like, without you coming in and posting 'oh, this sucks' and / or making more subtle trolling attempts? Seems very childish and pointless to me. It also makes some of the more mature posters not want to contribute anymore, because contributing to such a thread means you're immediately 'challenged' to a flame war. Is this fun? I for one don't think so.

"Metal isn't about violence or faggy whiny lyrics. It isn't even about who plays the heaviest and fastest. It is about invoking a sense of wonder and magnitude that no other genre can depict."

bluarosezk0.jpg

Right, I'll never understand why some people like trolling on threads where they don't like the topic. Okay, you don't like it, whatever. Are people not allowed to have a discussion about stuff you don't like, without you coming in and posting 'oh, this sucks' and / or making more subtle trolling attempts? Seems very childish and pointless to me. It also makes some of the more mature posters not want to contribute anymore, because contributing to such a thread means you're immediately 'challenged' to a flame war. Is this fun? I for one don't think so.

I agree, and by the way, I remember seeing that quote on your signature a while ago, and I thought it was the most brilliant description of metal I've ever heard. I now use it whenever someone asks me why I listen to what I listen to.

dgs5.jpg

I am indeed an, as you say, connoisseur of all things Nightwish - especially the post-Sami period (oh mr. Hietala <3). Try to find a funkier bass riff than the one on The Siren (hint: you can't).

Some fun facts: Emppu (the guitarist) has awful taste in beer, likes Gilmore Girls and thinks Black Sabbath with Ronny James Dio was the best Sabbath.

PM for more details.

2009rb9.jpg

I am indeed an, as you say, connoisseur of all things Nightwish - especially the post-Sami period (oh mr. Hietala <3). Try to find a funkier bass riff than the one on The Siren (hint: you can't).

Some fun facts: Emppu (the guitarist) has awful taste in beer, likes Gilmore Girls and thinks Black Sabbath with Ronny James Dio was the best Sabbath.

PM for more details.

He's not entirely wrong about Black Sabbath with Dio. :thumbup: I think I prefer Ozzy, but Heaven and Hell is a great album.

dgs5.jpg

holier than thou attitude - F. anyways, it was a good way to celebrate my one year anniversary at tip.it forums - stellar way actually. i love killing threads <3 and making them worth reading. :) so all these 'mature' members (ie: dumb people) can stop posting, no one wants their opinions.

p915h.gif

My favorite metal song of 2008

[yt]hTdhXxxWREo[/yt]

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Knowing Das he's srs buisness about that too. :P

While not hard music, the contrast of instruments and vocals are amazing

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

If it must be that album,I much prefer Poet and the Pendulum,or if I don't have 13 minutes,the Islander.

Last of the Wilds is pretty good too,but you know,its instrumental.

devilgod.jpeg

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

If it must be that album,I much prefer Poet and the Pendulum,or if I don't have 13 minutes,the Islander.

Last of the Wilds is pretty good too,but you know,its instrumental.

Hehe, that's exactly what I feel about the album.

I like the Celtic'ish feel on some of their songs (like Last of the Wilds)