What Social Class are you?

Racheya

Middle class really. I live in a fairly spacious apartment with my family. I would be upper-middle or be able to afford a house but my mom really screwed us over financially and we have a load of debt, but my dad makes quite a lot (computer job related to housing, works for the government indirectly) and we will soon be able to pay off the rest. I think they are going to have trouble paying college tuition :( , so I'm trying to achieve good scores in standardized tests and maintain a good grade.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you based my class by the looks of our house, you'd think we were upper-middle. Although it may be located in a lower-middle class (which is what I think we are) section of the city, my house is full of computers and digital cameras and printers, all bought from my dad's grant money. We also do a major renovation every summer (ourselves), so our house and backyard are beautiful. I'm sure that if we sold our house, we could use the money to buy two more on the same block.

hiccup.png

People really do not like your definition of upper middle class Bari :P

Out of curiosity, where did you get that from? Is it your own interpretation, or did you find it in a sociology text or something?

Something a sociology professor said down here. There are exceptions to every rule, however. But then again, realize that most people wouldn't admit to it if it was true :P. None of the people here are also the ones in charge of the wallets and making decisions on how to spend money, either. It's a matter of perspective. I think I revised my post earlier with there being a distinction between people who make 125k-499k a year and the "bourgeois mentality" associated with living in that bracket. I think my definition fit into the latter. When I worked in a deli, I was literally called "peasant" and "fool" by people who arguably had less assets than I did because they themselves were a part of that bourgeois mentality. Of course, most commercials for fancy cars or real estate seize on the appeals of the income bracket above, where products are aimed at those households or attempt to inspire lower brackets that the company's view of what constitutes society is indeed correct.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I would probably say about upper middle class. Both my parents work full-time in well paid jobs. My Dad owns his own business and my Mam is head chef at an amazing restaurant. We have never struggled for money and have pretty much been financially secure. Overall we are pretty well off. (we have to be to afford my habit of getting sick of a mobile phone within a few months, bye bye LG cookie, Hello G1.) \'

I think Bari has a point. Especially when it comes to clothing. We all know that we're going to be judged based on how expensive our wardrobes are, so even if you have little money you can still take the shortcut by only buying expensive things that your peers and neighbors will see.

I'm lower middle class. Sure I wish I could eat at restaurants or get a car, but life is still good for me. :) It sucks that I'm in a catch-22 right now though. I want a car and a job. I can't get a job because I don't have a car to get me there, and I don't have a car because I don't have a job to buy one for me.

I think Bari has a point. Especially when it comes to clothing. We all know that we're going to be judged based on how expensive our wardrobes are, so even if you have little money you can still take the shortcut by only buying expensive things that your peers and neighbors will see.

He definitely has a point about people living beyond their means, it's just a bit unfair to state that an entire section of society do it. People who try to keep up with the Jones' are quite irritating to me personally.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I think upper class, we have a nice home and go on trips regularly (Mexico on Monday). We have two BMW's and my dad owns a few racehorses. However, doesnt mean I'm spoiled rotten :(

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

@Bari:

Yes, there are certainly a ton of people who live like that (I can think of quite a few). Perhaps it does even need it's own classification. But I'm sure that it is only true for a fairly small minority of families that make between 125k and 499k (which is where my family also falls into).

[hide=just wrote it for the sake of writing it.]I think I've been in a couple different classes.

when I was younger, I'd say I was about lower middle class.

then my mum got remarried, and my step father had a really good job, we were really rich, lived in a 500 thousand dollar house, with state of the art kitchen appliances and everything, in a brand new development in a city outside ottawa. then he got colon cancer, we used a lot of money to try and help him not die, then he did die, and my mum had decent money. before he died I'd say we were upper middle class (not the terrible sounding description though), and when he died we went to just middle class.

my mum didn't end up getting a job for a couple years, and slowly used up the savings. we're now lower middle class, but for a while while my mum was unemployed I went to live with my dad, then he lost his job, and we couldn't afford food. or anything, and he had to sell his house and pay all the money to the debt he had.[/hide]

It is a very personal question, and I wrote it just for the sake of thinking about it and answering it.

upper class

Account created on Weds, December 21st, 2005

99 cooking on December 12th, 2010. 99 Agility on September 30th, 2011. 99 Fletching on August 17th, 2012. 99 Prayer on March 22nd, 2016. 99 Farming on April 4th, 2016.

Higher, lower, upper, middle.

Not kidding. Think about it.

middle upper middle?

Im the highest part of the lower part of upper middle class.

You're just overcomplicating things.

You're either rich, average or poor. Rich meaning you'd never have to work again if you just collected bank interest from all your current liquid assets. Average people work all their lives even if they may have reasonably comfortable lives. Poor people can barely afford the next rent, food or bills.

The entire notion of "classes" seems ridiculous, there is no ranking system for humans, you either have money, some of it, or nearly none of it.

I don't really like either of those groupings. Something as complicated as human life can't really be grouped simply.

(Although I prefer the other classes)

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream