What Social Class are you?

Racheya

After hanging around Tif and OT for a bit now, I've been curious.

What social class do you come from? Are you working class, lower middle class, upper middle class? Maybe there's some of you that are upper class?

I'm definately working class. I live in a council owned home, mum works in a call center, dad works fitting shutters (though he doesn't have a job right now). We live at the edge of a horribly Chav infested estate though luckily we're at the edge so we don't get the worst of it. For about 10 years for our holiday every year we've gone to Pontins (Butlin's holiday camp wannabe), but this year we might not even be able to afford that! And it's about £300 for all of us. I don't get any pocket money, I should and I did for about 2 weeks but I realised my mum couldn't afford to give me a tenner a week. Half the time I have to pay my own dinners for college too.

So... anyone?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I beleive I am lower upper middle class, We own the house in london and both my parents are in full tiem work and are able to support my brother in university, We hae a fairly reasonable standard of living. Some of my friends are richer though. And my house is small.

Luck be a Lady

Working class. Dad's a taxi driver and mom is cleaner at a high school and a "dinnerlady" at a junior school.

But I'd say we live comfortably. My dad works too much to be considered healthy to earn money for us and my mom takes on odd jobs for sewing (she is a master!). We go on a holiday to India once every two or three years which does take a lot out of my parent's pockets but it's all worth it.

Never had pocket money either but I get EMA now so no worries.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢

Middle Class.

Not flaming, but...

What do we discuss here ? At most people will maybe post 3 lines about their circumstances.

Well, I dunno. I just came up with the idea and was curious about other people.

We could do with a questionnaires forum for OT maybe.

Working class. Dad's a taxi driver and mom is cleaner at a high school and a "dinnerlady" at a junior school.

But I'd say we live comfortably. My dad works too much to be considered healthy to earn money for us and my mom takes on odd jobs for sewing (she is a master!). We go on a holiday to India once every two or three years which does take a lot out of my parent's pockets but it's all worth it.

I should really get EMA but I don't, it makes me rage because I know a lad who gets £30 a week but got a Wii, Xbox 360 AND a PS3 all in one Christmas.

My mum and dad's earnings were JUST over it >.< I'm going to apply again when the new tax year comes or next school year since my dad doesn't work now so I should get it.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Wow. Your parents are hardworking people.

Sorry Star,but when you said your dad was a taxi driver,I thought of Heroes,and Mohinder going "Where to my friend?" to every customer.

Iunno.Dad's an admin at Commerzbank and my mom took up two part time jobs.All my siblings and I are working,yet we still [bleep] about the economic recession.I guess middle?

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

I'm definitely middle class, I live in the south of England, in a detatched 4 bedroom house, my dad has a BMW and a Vespa scooter as a hobby. We have a large driveway, 3 computers in our house, a garage, 2 spare rooms, 3 toilets ( :) ) and a multi-leveled back garden. /showoff

spacescenev24.jpg

I now feel obliged to say I am in the Middle,though I am working my way to the High.

Goddamn,that was the only boring part of 1984.Goldstein is a bad writer.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Middle, probably upper. We have some financial troubles, and I have to earn most of my own money mowing lawns and stuff like that, but we're never at a loss for anything, and Christmas is usually accompanied by visiting family and a great time. We have a pretty nice house, and technically four cars, but we're trying to sell one. Well, five if you count my brother's, who lives with us.

My dad's a nuclear med tech, and my mom manages a bank branch here. We're doing alright.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I'd like to do some clarification here.

Upper-Middle is a middle class position where the people attempt to live as if they were upper class. They drive cheaper versions of the same car lines (BMW, Mercedes, etc), go for mock-tudor and other large homes, and dress extravagantly. In essence, attempting to live higher than their means. This often means that instead of being wealthier than anyone else, they simply have much more debt than anyone else. These people make up a large chunk of the recent US foreclosures (and to be honest, I don't feel sorry for them).

Other classes would be:

Poverty - catch all

Lower Middle - the "working class"

Middle - white collar

Upper Middle - already explained

Wealthy - catch all

I think we'd fit mostly in the middle there. Saving up for retirement/kids is more important to me than driving a fancy car or living in a beautiful house.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

I'd like to do some clarification here.

Upper-Middle is a middle class position where the people attempt to live as if they were upper class. They drive cheaper versions of the same car lines (BMW, Mercedes, etc), go for mock-tudor and other large homes, and dress extravagantly. In essence, attempting to live higher than their means. This often means that instead of being wealthier than anyone else, they simply have much more debt than anyone else. These people make up a large chunk of the recent US foreclosures (and to be honest, I don't feel sorry for them).

Other classes would be:

Poverty - catch all

Lower Middle - the "working class"

Middle - white collar

Upper Middle - already explained

Wealthy - catch all

I think we'd fit mostly in the middle there. Saving up for retirement/kids is more important to me than driving a fancy car or living in a beautiful house.

I suppose it does depend.

As according my my sociology teacher, working class are people who sya have jobs in industry, live in okay-ish accoomodation and just get by. Middle class would have jobs in more 'professional' areas eg owning a business, teaching, medicine ect. Your real upper class are like those who own great massive estates.

It just depends on how you're defining it.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I'd say Middle on the income, Low on Living Situation. Mom works as a cleaner at a Hotel, Dad works in the RAAF (Royal Australian Air Force) and we own some pritty crap cars. Our house is something you'd think from the outside "Damn thats alot!" but inside we hardly have the money to buy anything, including a new Washing Machine. We Spend 80% on Bills and my idiot Sisters partying Crap. I'mout of High-School but cant find a job because no one wants to pay for an 18yo because its alot, Despite having 4 Qualifications, still aint enough for a High-Business Job. Since I feel bad having to rely on my family for support I've been planning on selling everything besides the essensials and moving out to where ever I can. It might take me a while but I hate being a leech. -.-

Popoto.~<3

Probably lower middle. My parents have fairly good jobs, but 7 kids, so money disappears pretty fast. We don't lack the essentials though.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

I'm gonna say middle, although where we live we'd probably be seen as upper middle... Even though we own some pretty crappy cars we've got a nice house. (lol 3 computers + various laptops my dad has for work) My dad's (basically) an IT guy for for a big company, he supports their marketing server things and gets really nice insurance... My mom is a teacher's assistant. We did get a Wii for Christmas last year, and we're going to San Diego on spring break, so we're doing pretty (very...) well.

Probably between middle class and upper middle class. My dad has a construction company and my mom.... My mom.... I dont even know what the [bleep] my mom does but its weird.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Ugh... Somewhere between middle and upper class I guess.(Don't want to say upper middle since I don't like Barihawks definition of it)

My mom doesn't have to work since my dad earns enough. I'd say more but it'd feel like I'm bragging. :wall:

Retired High Leader of the Great Titans

linesig3bv2.jpg

DK: Dragon axe x55, Zerker x40, Warrior x44

GWD: Bandos hilt x2,Bandos plate x8,Bandos tassets x3, Bandos boots x 2, Armadyl helm x2, Armadyl hilt x1, Saradomin sword x3

Dragon drops: d chain x3, d left half x3, d legs x4, d skirt x2, d claws x6

I suppose it does depend.

As according my my sociology teacher, working class are people who sya have jobs in industry, live in okay-ish accoomodation and just get by. Middle class would have jobs in more 'professional' areas eg owning a business, teaching, medicine ect. Your real upper class are like those who own great massive estates.

It just depends on how you're defining it.

That's kind of outdated. Middle class have always been the moderately educated people. In today's world, the children of a plumber or electrician can go off to at least a community college and get the skills to manage and operate a business. To me, the lower classes would be groups where the kids don't give a damn about school or education and end up perpetuating their family into the lower classes for the next generation. There's a good difference between those who have a chance of upward mobility and those who don't. Hence the distinction given in my series.

(Don't want to say upper middle since I don't like Barihawks definition of it)

It would probably be just "middle class." I would call it a good branch since you have affluence, but the entire term "upper-middle" class has always referred to yuppies and the such. Back in the 80's what you describe would be upper middle class, but in today's world it's kind of iffy.

I'd call it "affluent middle class." To be upper class in the eyes of the law, you would need annual income of $500,000. I could retire a millionaire but if I make less than that amount, I am still middle class.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

What class would I be if I'm a programming student at college and live in a very small appartment, have no car, and that my income is smaller than what I need to pay the bills and the food?

Upper Middle Class. Though I'm the youngest of three siblings so it's not like I'm spoiled or anything.

And contrary to Barihawks skewed definition of Upper Middle Class, my parents don't drive a cheaper BMW-esque car and buy houses they can't afford.

It's pretty bad to generalize an entire class based on the actions of a few stupid people with little to no money management skills.

That's like saying people who are defined as being in the "working class" are stupider than those in the middle class, since they work in jobs that don't require a university/college education. Which is completely untrue since some people in the Upper class are horribly stupid.

I guess my approach is more towards the bourgeois upper middle class, then. Sorry if I confused you. Apparently there is a distinction.

Untitled.png