High ranking players not as "nerdy" as we think?

FirenLazah

40 hours for 13m Farming xp? with trees?

Dude, no.

I take it that you are implying it would take much longer. At 75+ you can do a run with magics, palms, and calquats in about 10 minutes and get about 130k xp which would be 13m xp in under 17 hours. 40 hours is a much more conservative estimate for 1-99 that I intended to take into account going from 1-75 with lower leveled trees, maybe growing yews instead of magics afterwards, and maybe farming herbs for cash. And buying the seeds, setting up your bank to do farming runs, figuring out how to do farming runs quickly, and making saplings. If you're one of those people who like to look at palms taking 20 hours to grow or whatever and count that as 20 hours of training maybe you should use your head and think about how much time you actually spend training.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ILU, Zarfot. Your a younger and less lazy version of me. I might have some serious debate competition if you start posting more often :-#

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Sorry about the "cutting remarks" before i guess i overreacted. but i must conclude from your long post that you are a nerd. But dont worry thats not neccearily a bad thing^^

So you judge people by the length of their post? Well, if I have to judge from your post, I'd say you're a moron.

Im not judging by the length of his post... i was trying saying that his post makes him sound like he is nerdy. Im not trying to insult anyone. E.g., look at this post

I take it that you are implying it would take much longer. At 75+ you can do a run with magics, palms, and calquats in about 10 minutes and get about 130k xp which would be 13m xp in under 17 hours. 40 hours is a much more conservative estimate for 1-99 that I intended to take into account going from 1-75 with lower leveled trees, maybe growing yews instead of magics afterwards, and maybe farming herbs for cash. And buying the seeds, setting up your bank to do farming runs, figuring out how to do farming runs quickly, and making saplings. If you're one of those people who like to look at palms taking 20 hours to grow or whatever and count that as 20 hours of training maybe you should use your head and think about how much time you actually spend training.

The "long post" thing was just an adjective i used, im not saying that that is the reason. Im saying that because what he is saying sounds nerdy. I mean, he is trying to prove that he isnt nerdy by coming up with a mathmatical formula. But then again, thats just my opinion.

Im not judging by the length of his post... i was trying saying that his post makes him sound like he is nerdy. Im not trying to insult anyone. E.g., look at this post

The "long post" thing was just an adjective i used, im not saying that that is the reason. Im saying that because what he is saying sounds nerdy. I mean, he is trying to prove that he isnt nerdy by coming up with a mathmatical formula. But then again, thats just my opinion.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nerd

1. a stupid, irritating, ineffectual, or unattractive person.

2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

Now, he's obviously not stuipd, irritating is subjective, ineffectual doesn't have anything to do with this argument, and attractiveness doesn't have anything to do with post lengths.

He's obviously intelligent, so he fits the first pert of definition two, but as demonstrated in the above posts, he is well rounded and certainly not obsessed with a nonsocial pursuit.

Sorry, but the dictionary proves you wrong. The correct word is 'intelligence', without all the negative nerd connotations. Long, detailed post means intelligent, not nerd. Learn the meaning of words before throwing around random nouns in an attempt to make yourself sound better then someone who obviously knows what he's talking about far more then you =D>

Also, he is indeed correct in not factoring in the time spent for growing trees. Do you have to stand next to your farming patch for 20 hours while your palm tree grows? Nope, you can tele away and do whatever you want for the next 20 hours before teleing back to check it. Since the travel times are factored in, it works out perfectly.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Um....not to go all "on topic" and such, but I don't think high level=nerdy at all. I play games on my ps2, and I play Runescape. Some people play Xbox and Runescape, some play Wii and Runescape...and so on and so forth. Some people just play Runescape. They're the one who are leveling up while I play SOCOM. People who are high level obviously enjoy the game as much as we enjoy other games, so unless we're all nerdy....they aren't either.

2. an intelligent but single-minded person obsessed with a nonsocial hobby or pursuit: a computer nerd.

Now, he's obviously not stuipd, irritating is subjective, ineffectual doesn't have anything to do with this argument, and attractiveness doesn't have anything to do with post lengths.

He's obviously intelligent, so he fits the first pert of definition two, but as demonstrated in the above posts, he is well rounded and certainly not obsessed with a nonsocial pursuit.

Sorry, but the dictionary proves you wrong. The correct word is 'intelligence', without all the negative nerd connotations. Long, detailed post means intelligent, not nerd. Learn the meaning of words before throwing around random nouns in an attempt to make yourself sound better then someone who obviously knows what he's talking about far more then you =D>

Also, he is indeed correct in not factoring in the time spent for growing trees. Do you have to stand next to your farming patch for 20 hours while your palm tree grows? Nope, you can tele away and do whatever you want for the next 20 hours before teleing back to check it. Since the travel times are factored in, it works out perfectly.

See what i mean? You're trying to prove your not nerdy by pulling out a dictionary. Different people have different opinions on what is "nerdy". And how exactly is he not obsessed with a nonsocial pursuit? Once again, "obsessed" means different things to different people.

See what i mean? You're trying to prove your not nerdy by pulling out a dictionary. Different people have different opinions on what is "nerdy". And how exactly is he not obsessed with a nonsocial pursuit? Once again, "obsessed" means different things to different people.

What does using an actual source have to do with being 'nerd'? Except that it completely ruins your argument about what it means. You may have a different definition, but I'm afraid the dictionary trumps you.

DeviledEgg24.png

You guys are leaving out a very important quality that high leveled players have: dedication and ambition. This could very well be why they are smart and successful for the most part. For all we know, Zezima could be Bill Gates of the future.

Nerd is such a popular term/insult for having originated from a 1950's Dr. Seuss book.

Summer's End

While Guthix Sleeps

3 more days until deadline!

You guys are leaving out a very important quality that high leveled players have: dedication and ambition. This could very well be why they are smart and successful for the most part. For all we know, Zezima could be Bill Gates of the future.

Nerd is such a popular term/insult for having originated from a 1950's Dr. Seuss book.

sitting on your arse "levelling" your account certainly is NOT dedication...

comparing zezima to bill gates is pathetic, bill gates didnt spend all his time doing something anyone could do.

comparing zezima to bill gates is pathetic, bill gates didnt spend all his time doing something anyone could do.

I am pretty sure bill gates did. It wasn't like he coded the whole of DOS by himself. Heck he even brought some of windows from someone else.

I am pretty sure bill gates did. It wasn't like he coded the whole of DOS by himself. Heck he even brought some of windows from someone else.

sure, but i doubt im able to do that.

however im 100% sure i could get 99 in every stat :/ its just a matter of time.

sure, but i doubt im able to do that.

however im 100% sure i could get 99 in every stat :/ its just a matter of time.

Still you can say that about almost anything. I could program a whole operating system it will just take me time.

First I need to learn how to program to a standard were I can create an operating system (takes time)

Then I need to go about coding it from scratch (takes time).

wow the one who pulled out the dictionary sounds like one of the peoples at my school that get beat up for being some smart #$@ everbody calls him a nerd cause he wears dragon clothes and twilight clothes and were going to go to highschool next year then when everbody calls him gay he pulled out dictionary and says gay means happy and everbody was like wow and then he was a nerd for life.

Mustangs407.png

What does using an actual source have to do with being 'nerd'? Except that it completely ruins your argument about what it means. You may have a different definition, but I'm afraid the dictionary trumps you.

Because using a dictionary to prove your not a nerd is stereotypically nerdy. And why do i have to explain that im not saying hes nerdy because of the length of his post more than 3 times? Also, so what if the dictionary "trumps" me. Plus you didnt even answer to what i said about different people having different views on different words. And the english language is changing everyday, how do you know that the dictionary holds the same views as everyone else in the world? And for some reason, im getting a vibe from you that your trying to say your not a nerd......

"Nerd" isn't nessarily an insult, but im glad your at least acknowleding that most high leveled players are ones. But how the heck does clicking on a picture of a rock all day have anything to do with being ultra smart? An amoeba with half a brain cell could get a million 99's if it wanted to. "dedication?" This is a game. I am dedicated to studying for exams and training for the swimming championships or something. In fact, a person that spends 10+ hours a day on a computer game would be the least likely "Bill Gates of the Future" Its your desicion if you want to click on a rock all day. And no, it doesn't take a Bill Gates to figure out how to do that.

wow the one who pulled out the dictionary sounds like one of the peoples at my school that get beat up for being some smart #$@ everbody calls him a nerd cause he wears dragon clothes and twilight clothes and were going to go to highschool next year then when everbody calls him gay he pulled out dictionary and says gay means happy and everbody was like wow and then he was a nerd for life.

Lol. This is exactly what im trying to say. Some people just don't understand... this one time a guy bought a rubiks cube to a party and when someone called him a nerd. He's like "well not really because this rubiks cube is only 4 by 4 compared to standared competitive ones which are blablabla"

I am Zarfot and am rank 21 overall.

I posted this a while ago somewhere else regarding how long 2376 total could take training very efficiently.

Slayer with stats 1-99 could average about 22k xp/hour = 600 hours total which would max 7 skills.

12M agility is needed because 1M comes from barbarian fishing which is 220 hours at DK. You can fletch adamant bolts while training agility and could get 30M fletching xp from this without losing much agility time at all.

13M mining could be done at 60k xp/hour average = 220 hours.

13M prayer could be done in 40 hours with dragon bones.

13M herblore could be done in 40 hours with brews.

13M magic and smithing could be done in 130 hours superheating gold.

13M crafting could be done in 60 hours with hard leather bodies then green dragonhide bodies.

13M construction could be done in 55 hours with oak doors.

91 Rc could be achieved in 150 hours with ZMI altar, and 99 could be done in 270 hours from then with 27k xp/hour with Graahk.

5M firemaking comes free from woodcutting with an inferno adze, and 8M can be done in about 30 hours with various logs.

13M woodcutting could be done in 200 hours at 65k xp/hour.

13M fishing could be done in 260 hours at 50k xp/hour average.

13M farming could be done in about 40 hours with trees.

2M cooking would come from fishing and 11M could be done in 40 hours with sharks.

13M hunter xp could be done in 130 hours at 100k xp/hour average.

13M thieving could be done in 70 hours blackjacking.

Add 100 hours for quests and other things and you have 2655 hours. Graahk runecrafting would supply most of the cash for the expensive methods, the rest would be obtained via merchanting with almost no time loss which is quite easy currently.

I think it's pretty clear that maxing is possible in well under 3000 hours which could be done in under 2.8 hours a day for 3 years.

Personally it took me over 3 years to max. Granted, I got 30m xp in runecrafting and also 99 slayer twice (since summoning came out after I got 99 slayer), and also RS evolves and faster/better methods are released/discovered, so I'm not claiming that I averaged 2.8 hours a day, but this shows that people with maxed stats do not necessarily play as much as many people believe.

Personally I am in school, in sports, play a musical instrument, and also work 6-10 hours a week. That keeps me very busy, more busy than most people tbh. However I chose to spend most of my free time on RS and that is my own choice. Playing RS for me does NOT affect what really matters- school, work, and sports- as those always get first priority. The reason I decided to try to quit was that I wanted to do other things with my free time besides just playing one game. However I just started playing another game so that is why I decided to go back to RS. Again, this is my FREE TIME and it is a person's own choice what they want to do with their free time. In my opinion people who do things like go do drugs or go to drinking parties during their free time are the ones who really should be picked on. RS is just a game and if someone wants to play it that's their choice.

By the way I sleep about 8 hours a night and have never stayed up all night to play RS and very rarely play past midnight.

oh come on, playing 3 hours a day, everyday, for 3 years? thats 'nerdy' enough as it is. :/

Just depends how long they've been playing I guess. I suppose it's acceptable to have a high levelled account if it's 5 years old. From personal experience I was far more nerdy at level 80 and 90 than I am now. Maybe that's maturity or maybe because the game was far more addictive at that stage. I could get home from school (this was about 2005/6) and play on RS for 5 hours easily. I feel awful if I spend more than 2 hours on it now.

My point is a lot of level 80s are the biggest gimps on the game. A lot of people with an f2p combat over 110 struggle to play.

I will honestly admit I have a lot of time to play Runescape, and some may call me a nerd. I go to school from 7 A.M. to 3 P.M., come home and play Runescape for 6-8 hours. I also wake up in the morning (I am a morning person so) and play a little before school. It's not that I don't have friends, or wouldn't mind hanging out with friends. I prefer relaxing in the house playing games. Now why don't I go play basketball, or ride a bike like I used to before I played? I want to enjoy those activities when im 20-30 years old to get the exercise I so don't need right now. Now I almost have a 1,900 total level, and I do play efficently. Some of my real life friends now how I play. I also play Call of Duty on the Xbox for 8-10 hours a day on the weekends. I keep a 3.8 GPA in school so I have no reason not to play. As for people that stereotype on the net, there is a cliff somewhere with your name on it. :thumbup:

Turnpikes.png

I will honestly admit I have a lot of time to play Runescape, and some may call me a nerd. I go to school from 7 A.M. to 3 P.M., come home and play Runescape for 6-8 hours. I also wake up in the morning (I am a morning person so) and play a little before school. It's not that I don't have friends, or wouldn't mind hanging out with friends. I prefer relaxing in the house playing games. Now why don't I go play basketball, or ride a bike like I used to before I played? I want to enjoy those activities when im 20-30 years old to get the exercise I so don't need right now. Now I almost have a 1,900 total level, and I do play efficently. Some of my real life friends now how I play. I also play Call of Duty on the Xbox for 8-10 hours a day on the weekends. I keep a 3.8 GPA in school so I have no reason not to play. As for people that stereotype on the net, there is a cliff somewhere with your name on it. :thumbup:

i think most people prefer to relax indoors than go out, whatever theyre doing.

dont you think your playings a little OTT?

I live a double life in a way, I'm not particularly high ranked but I spend a huge majority of my time playing castle wars and barb assault which don't give me any skill bonuses. None of my real life friends know that I play runescape and anyway from runescape I indestinguishable from the average teenager some people might even describe me as reasonably cool, runescape is simple my secret past time. I got into when I broke both my legs in rugby and have continued to enjoy it since. I find it very relaxing. I wouldn't think of myself as a nerd and I'm sure many high ranked people have similar reasons for playing. And to be quite honest nerds are perfectly nice people if you get to know them.

It's totally open for subjective debate. You could have someone who is literally playing the games all day and not doing anything else in their life. Or you could have someone that partition their time appropriately and play bit by bit everyday, and have school, and have a job, AND have a social life all at the same time.

Its funny how when you see a high level player and assume that they train for so long everyday, and that they must be someone wearing thick glasses and don't do anything except staring at computers. Most of the players didn't think that the game was open to public ever since 2000 (or somewhere around the time), that people could obtain that rank over the period of 7 to 9 years.....

Of course, to quote one of my friend's saying: "they judge and make fun of your in RS when they don't even know who you are in real life", so literally when people make those comments to me or my friends in game, we simple shrugged and carried on our business. As another famous player quote: "Ignore list is my best friend" that's what we use for those ignorant ones. (besides using them as note pads, another great tip from tip it, or someone I can't remember)

a happy Runescaper

I didn't read through all 8 pages - and i think i'm going to get a lot of flack for this post, but so be it.

Going by Zarfot's calculations.. WOW.. I've definitely played more then that.. I just calculated - 4000+ hours... :-#

I really don't know how to respond to this thread without shooting myself, as well as people I'm friendly with, in the foot...

No, not everybody in the high ranks is a nerd, but from personal experience, i would say that you probably will not find the polar opposite either (your stereotypical jock/pretty boy).

Although, people with high ranks are generally stereotyped, when in reality, if you take 20 random players who have a top 10, and 20 random players in general, you will probably get the same group of people, if you get what I'm saying. Bar the age difference, because I highly doubt you'll find many 13 year olds in the top ranks.

We've all had our 12 hour days though.. so it's not fair to pin the people with high ranks as the people with no lives, because also from personal experience, I've known people who play a TON and get virtually NO WHERE because all they do is stand around as opposed to concentrating on their gameplay.

In my opinion people who do things like go do drugs or go to drinking parties during their free time are the ones who really should be picked on.

This is why you are a nerd :oops: