High ranking players not as "nerdy" as we think?

FirenLazah

Normally, the first time we look at the highscores we would think "wow do these guys even have lifes?" (Thats what I thought...) Seeing massive amounts of xp in each skill. Most people would consider high ranking players to be "nerds who live in basements" Or just people who sit inside all day.

Back then when most famous people didnt really give much information about themselfs, and rarely talked, it was widely accepted that these players didnt have much lifes. Then clan chats, youtube and other sources opened where high ranking players started opening up. We know Zezima is 23 (I could be wrong. Haven't read the interview in months -.- ) and goes to college. We know Gertjaars is 21 and doesn't live in a basement. Thanks to Youtube.

But thats only 2 people. I have no clue about Season or Neversoft5 or Lover Romeo. I have met plenty of kids irl who spend way too many hours on this game. And of course we've all seen Hell slayer H. But really. I doubt the high ranking players are these 12 year old kids. If they were, I'm sure there parents would do something.

So do most people get the wrong idea about these players? The ones who get 200M xp skills extremely fast, im not too sure..But other top 21 players. And I can see why most people would think they play the game too much. (read n0valyfes interview...)

Discuss.

kazmahalfsize.png

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly in RS getting to a high-level just takes TIME.

And if you want to spend less time, just be more EFFICIENT.

If a person dedicates that much time and effort to RS does that make them a nerd? I dunno, seems more like a rhetorical question.

Nerd denotes some sort of anti-social meaning.

Where-as RS is quite the social game due to it being an MMORPG.

Will be interesting what others think.

End__User.png

I really don't think that high levels are super nerdy, anyway. Many of them work, support families, and even do side-projects with their free time. It's just that they figure out the best way to train Skill-X, and get gobs of experience in it (or, like Larryr, simply like a skill so much that they do it ad infinitum).

Just because they spend their free time on some game doesn't make them a nerd. It doesn't make them a social outcast. It just means that they have a lot of free time on their hands, which, mind you, we are in no position to critique.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I consider them people with TONS of patience. I have a mod friend who has 99 farming untrimmed. Hes actually a man who has a wife who does play rs, and he has a job. And still managed to find time to get 99 farming pretty quickly if you ask me.

Same could go for high ranks too.

kazmahalfsize.png

They are probably geeky, not nerdy. I shall explain the difference for those who do not know. Nerdy implies that you have no social skills (e.g. making conversation etc), and you live in your mother's basement (a tiresome cliche). Geeky implies the same as Nerdy, but you have social skills and just know a lot about stuff which others consider nerdy (and you dont live in your mothers basement etc).

Well, I do think I have at least some experience in accumulating vast amounts of xp. It's quite simple actually. If you have played for quite some time, and like to train as efficient as possible, then maxing out is quite possible within a couple of years. Personally, I've gotten to the point where I'm almost maxed out.. in almost 8 years. I have a girlfriend, I have friends, I study at the university, where I currently perform cancer research and yes, I even do socialize irl. I just have a hobby, and that's playing Runescape. Being high levelled doesn't mean as much as some people claim it to be.

But it's true.. you have to play a lot. You have to really, really like this game to become high levelled. But everything can be achieved with having a healthy live and all. Allthough there are certainly high levelled people that just don't have any lives. But that's also simply due to the fact that you can't have been nolifing a lot if your stats are low.

Well its subjective what you mean by "nerdy.."

This is one of those.. I can do all this cool stuff so I am cool posts. ::'

If being intelligent (I have an iq over 160 *Brag rights*) and having high skills makes me a geek + Working and being in a relationship makes me a geek then so be it. That and the fact I am 22.. so I seriously do not care what some 12 year old American thinks of me lol. :D I dont look 'nerdy' infact im quite good looking and cute apparently. I might come across a bit geeky in certain situations but just because I read *gasps* -books- doesnt mean im a social outcast either.

I admit I prefer gaming to going out every night of the week. I am introverted so rather keep nights out lower compared to staying in. Besides that I do do other things besides game. I have to or I wouldnt have a female friend last too long. Which has its own form of entertainment. As a complicated person.. told by many people.. I do love repetitive tasks but im quite into trying new things. I do more wacky things or more things than the average person does. When it comes to activities and experiencing things. I try to keep doing things I havnt done before.

As for other high level nerds with no lifes I have no comment. Most of the ones I have met are 16+ with maybe less of a job but the older ones usual got a life to maintain so have a job. They dont seem any less different than other people I meet who dont play runescape. Some are quit extroverted while others are more introverted but there has never been anything wrong with that.

Addictiveness can apply to anyone. Just because your higher doesnt mean your addictive. Just because you go out drinking every night of the week doesnt make you cool. Do what you find fun as much as you can, make people happy.. Live your life the way you want to. Etc Etc.

As a side personal note. I bet I done alot more for charity than those people who say 'lol nerd no life!' etc. (Simply because they dont sound very mature..) I can waste my time the way I choose to tbh. I love this game and I love helping people etc.

Its a whole school thing anyway. I rarely get called a geek in real life and if I do its usually by immature people >.> Or a compliment.

Normally, the first time we look at the highscores we would think "wow do these guys even have lifes?" (Thats what I thought...) Seeing massive amounts of xp in each skill. Most people would consider high ranking players to be "nerds who live in basements" Or just people who sit inside all day.

Back then when most famous people didnt really give much information about themselfs, and rarely talked, it was widely accepted that these players didnt have much lifes. Then clan chats, youtube and other sources opened where high ranking players started opening up. We know Zezima is 23 (I could be wrong. Haven't read the interview in months -.- ) and goes to college. We know Gertjaars is 21 and doesn't live in a basement. Thanks to Youtube.

But thats only 2 people. I have no clue about Season or Neversoft5 or Lover Romeo. I have met plenty of kids irl who spend way too many hours on this game. And of course we've all seen Hell slayer H. But really. I doubt the high ranking players are these 12 year old kids. If they were, I'm sure there parents would do something.

So do most people get the wrong idea about these players? The ones who get 200M xp skills extremely fast, im not too sure..But other top 21 players. And I can see why most people would think they play the game too much. (read n0valyfes interview...)

Discuss.

When i see someone who's achieved a status or a goal in game, i just remember them for a bit but i don't think about it after that.

I find this topic stupid, as it discusses players. It's no point to discuss about others...

It's like saying "How well do you Know Zezima" or "How many times have you seen Zezima", "Does Zezima know you", "Spot Zezima!".

Just give it a break already. It's a game..

It actually isn't hard to get massive amounts of experience in short time periods if you aren't just sitting around in a bank wondering what to do. The better players just use their time on RS more efficiently than most of us.

qs2X.png

"Only by going too far can one find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot

Unless we're in castle wars or something and go "l0l n00b owned rofl get a life nerd lmfao" (like quite a few 100-115's with loaned gs's in poh's), I usually respect the higher levels. They're most likely very intelligent about the game and usually life (shadow7 for example... whatever happened to him?). Anyone who calls them nerds or no-lifers are pathetic, trying to act cool by insulting them childishly.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Hell Slayer H is not ranked high what are you talking about...

Other guys, who cares, they have sweet accounts, I could care less if they are "nerds" or not.

Ooh yeah, I remember him. He's probably banned by now. He wouldn't count anyway, he wasn't high level. :P

When i see someone who's achieved a status or a goal in game, i just remember them for a bit but i don't think about it after that.

I find this topic stupid, as it discusses players. It's no point to discuss about others...

It's like saying "How well do you Know Zezima" or "How many times have you seen Zezima", "Does Zezima know you", "Spot Zezima!".

Just give it a break already. It's a game..

No one's discussing anyone in particular, at least, no one is saying how nerdy or no-lifey (not a word) Player X is. The simple discussion is that players with 1900+ are generally referred to no-lifes, and that's simply not true.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I get called a nerd primarily when I set up a cannon while slaying :P

I think most people understand that it's completely possible to get good levels without failing at life; nerd is used in the same way as noob in this game. :|

I just think because people do not know much about higher level players they stereotype them to the game. They would most likely be calling them nerds because they're better then they are at something. I just think they're smart and don't waste time when they do play.

John_Pax.png

Well its subjective what you mean by "nerdy.."

This is one of those.. I can do all this cool stuff so I am cool posts. ::'

If being intelligent (I have an iq over 160 *Brag rights*)

Lies.

I do think that high ranking players are quite geeky. Nerds are, by the definition I have learned, people who are quite intelligent, don't have too many friends if any, and are isolated (in study). Geeks are people who are enthusiastic about a subject and have quite a lot of knowledge, ability, or skill in that area. Examples include a computer geek or a band geek. I'm quite geeky about finding out the best ways to level in RuneScape, but I waste a lot of time and could have a significantly higher total level if I hadn't used a lot of time just browsing the internet or just playing minigames on RuneScape.

Now whether they have some real life acquisitions such as a good job/career/degree/education and good social relations depends on their efficiency, the time they have played (when they started RuneScape), and their time used on things other than skills in RuneScape. It really just depends and there are quite a lot of people who do an overwhelming job with keeping balance in their life while excelling.