So my friend got one red light(E-74) on his 360...

ugafan_2009

Well, today we were going to play some COD4 together when I get a text saying he did it. I had the same problem four months ago, and luckily mine broke a few days before the warranty expired. However, he was not so lucky, as his is 13 months old and Microsoft only covers it for a year. It should cost about $100 to repair.

Should he:

A) Suck it up and pay the $100

B) Buy an arcade since he has his hard drive and cables

C) Towel trick and try to force a RROD which is covered

D) Lie and say its a RROD and hope MS doesn't check it

Thanks.

Quit RS, combat 104, total 1651

ugafan2009.png

You are officially [bleep]ed and must have it repaired. Trust me, I've seen this before. 11 times as a matter of fact. C and D will not work, but if the hard drive is usable and an arcade is cheaper, buy that.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Weird, everyone on another forum recommended C or D. I've seen stories of it working, but I guess I'll tell him to suck it up and spend some money on it.

They probably don't have the power of foresight like the people on these forums do. D is just plain stupid, and one would get caught doing it. And C might work, but it dosen't fix it forever (The only case I have heard of it working forever is a friend of mine who keeps the xbox running 24/7 now, and has had it on for almost a year now), and if he were to want it fixed by MS, they would know.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Quick question on the RROD. If you get one, do you have to send in JUST the xbox, or do you have to send in the hard drive/memory card along with it?

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

What exactly does the towel trick do? My friend said it overheats it if you get the RROD so you can play it again? I don't really know he didn't make much sense.

It overheats the XBOX. It's [bleep]ing [developmentally delayed]ed and anyone who recommends it is [developmentally delayed]ed and should not be allowed near technology.

What exactly does the towel trick do? My friend said it overheats it if you get the RROD so you can play it again? I don't really know he didn't make much sense.
It overheats it, which could possibly turn the one red light into the RROD that Microsoft would cover.

May sound idiotic, but if he's leaning towards buying a new arcade, it is at least worth a shot at getting a free fix.

ugafan2009.png

the cause of the RRoD is because there's something inside the 360 that doesn't connect properly. the towel trick melts the inside (kinda) and forces the circuits to connect properly. that's as far as i understand.

i think that if (and only if) you know what you're doing, you really should force an RRoD. it's disgusting that MS refuses to fix something that they know exists for free.

For the love of god don't try the towel trick.

It's completely false, the temperature it generates isn't anywhere near high enough to meld solder, you'll just end up damaging your xbox more and risk setting your house alight.

spacescenev24.jpg

the cause of the RRoD is because there's something inside the 360 that doesn't connect properly. the towel trick melts the inside (kinda) and forces the circuits to connect properly. that's as far as i understand.

i think that if (and only if) you know what you're doing, you really should force an RRoD. it's disgusting that MS refuses to fix something that they know exists for free.

Bollocks does it. The towel would catch on fire and the chips inside the xbox would break before it reaches the temperature at which solder melts.

I'd say A or B, probably B.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Don't send it to microsoft, send it to wherever you bought it from if you can. Take it back, complain and get a new one for free maybeh? Works with everything else I've had that's broken. (External hardrive with all my pictures and music anyone? -.- )

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Don't send it to microsoft, send it to wherever you bought it from if you can. Take it back, complain and get a new one for free maybeh? Works with everything else I've had that's broken. (External hardrive with all my pictures and music anyone? -.- )
I doubt Wal-Mart will take a 13 month old 360 back.

And I've been researching and have seen a lot of reports saying to lie and say it's a RROD. I'm yet to see anyone get denied.

ugafan2009.png

• 2 weeks later...

E-74 I believe means your gpu is not getting a very good connection or the ANA chip is faulty. Its a cooling problem so it can also be caused by the fans not working properly. It has to be one of the hardest problems to fix and can be the most stressful lol. Open it up and take the x clamps off you will see two chips with x clamps one is your gpu and one is your cpu take them both off use alcohol to clean the melted compound off of them and then buy some artic compound from radio shack. Put it on the chip and make sure it covers the chip lightly. Now if your x clamps are still in good conditition you can go ahead and put it back together normally or you can put washers behind the x clamps to get a better connection. Do those steps and make sure the fans are working properly. When you start it up you will still have the error so you will need to disconnect the fans to overheat the system which will bond the compound and make a connection to your gpu and cpu thus hopefully solving the problem. If none of that works then its the 10% chance its your ANA chip which has to do with your av cables. I would do all the fixes I explained first though because theirs a 90% chance thats whats wrong. All the steps can be looked up on youtube if you have trouble finding the cpu/gpu and how to take the xbox apart.

Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.

Low_C.png

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow thanks. He felt uncomfortable lying and didn't want to pay the money. I'll be sure to let him know.

I got the E-74 today, I'm well pissed...

But I did some ploughing online. And noticed that website, I might try fix it myself (using the guides of course.) Might save me some time and hassle with dealing with Microsoft, But I wouldn't mind a freebie (if they still give them)

Luck be a Lady

• 2 weeks later...
I know a guy who

A. Had his 360 RROD 2 weeks after the Microsoft warranty expired

B. Had his 360 RROD 2 days before Halo Wars came out after pre ordering the collectors edition

I know a guy who

1. Had his 360 RROD

2. Had his 360 RROD

3. Had his 360 RROD

4. Had his 360 RROD

5. Had his 360 RROD

6. Had his 360 RROD

7. Had his 360 RROD

8. Had his 360 RROD

He has bad luck with refurbished boxes I guess.