Looking at people buying their XP sorta makes me wanna cry..

dannyb103

Where did the old Runescape go? When everything was not all about money to buy skills. When prayer wasn't trained by buying bones for 2k each then running to Guilded Alters with your war tortoise for weeks (or bull ant... or terrorbird).

Other than herblore and farming, I mostly DIY train. (With acception to my 56 construction which I speed trained because I thought I could be one of the first to 99.. then realized how expensive it would be... :oops: )

I know this rant is sort of falsified by the logical opinion of "people have every right to do what they want, it's just a game", but it sort of reflects the world of greed we live in.

Runescape is and will always be a peaceful place where I can just mine 1k iron ore and 2k coal, make 200 steel bodies and alch without having to worry about greedy merchants at the G.E.

It also upsets me when I see untrimmed fishing, mining, and WC capes. Not just because they're selling their goods for pure/instant profit, but because they could have manufactured ALL that stuff collected and gotten another skill to 99.

People do not realize the logic behind how easy Jagex made it to level up manufacturing skills. The reason why the XP ratios are so higher is not to make them buyable, that was not their intention, I'm sure! But instead, it gives people the freedom to level up in both skills, and have the choice to sell some of their extra raw goods if they wish.

Note: I am not claiming that every XP that I have on my account is DIY, and that I haven't bought/sold raw goods for XP or cash. I am simply saying that people could have higher resource skills AND their secondary skills if they played the game how it was originally meant to be played.

edit: Not to mention that for example... if you fished/cooked. You'd lose some of the potential profit, but you're still making pure profit anyways. And mining is better than wasting half of your investment in gold ore (since gold bars are like half the price of gold ores or something rediculous as that)

Summer's End

While Guthix Sleeps

3 more days until deadline!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also upsets me when I see untrimmed fishing, mining, and WC capes. Not just because they're selling their goods for pure/instant profit, but because they could have manufactured ALL that stuff collected and gotten another skill to 99.

Because, it takes time to manufacture all that stuff anyway, AND it loses them money when they could have simply sold the raw ingredients.

Jagex made the game unprofitable for 2ndary skills, thats why 2ndary skills are so unpopular and most people only get them for the cape, people are almost always better off just selling the things they get from primary skills like fishing.

O.O

Because, it takes time to manufacture all that stuff anyway, AND it loses them money when they could have simply sold the raw ingredients.

Jagex made the game unprofitable for 2ndary skills, thats why 2ndary skills are so unpopular and most people only get them for the cape, people are almost always better off just selling the things they get from primary skills like fishing.

Jagex did? how? :wall:

What is a loss of money from manufacturing skills on raw materials you got yourself, when you also get experience? Is the time cost not justified by that?

I'd say I'm also DIY mostly. I bought some skills up (Prayer mostly), but other than that, I get most of what I need myself.

edit: Not to mention that for example... if you fished/cooked. You'd lose some of the potential profit, but you're still making pure profit anyways. And mining is better than wasting half of your investment in gold ore (since gold bars are like half the price of gold ores or something rediculous as that)

You're forgetting the Opportunity Cost.

With the X amount of money I'd lose using the materials myself, I could be getting these other, better skills with it.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I don't get why people thing DIY is more fun than being efficient. DIY makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

I'd disagree, it's personal preference. I for one don't care if I'm wasting time, and getting everything from scratch is fun.

Not everyone plays for efficiency ( :ohnoes: *screams at idea*)

I don't get why people thing DIY is more fun than being efficient. DIY makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

This. I had the option of DIY 99 Smithing (mining and smelting Gold), but I decided to spend the money instead on 92 Smithing with iron bars.

DIY is not more efficient or more fun. It's a overglorified waste of time. And I refuse to play in a game where I have to make absolutely everything I need on a daily basis myself.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

What is a loss of money from manufacturing skills on raw materials you got yourself, when you also get experience? Is the time cost not justified by that?

I'd say I'm also DIY mostly. I bought some skills up (Prayer mostly), but other than that, I get most of what I need myself.

Well, if you sold the raw materials instead, you would end up with MORE money for LESS time.

O.O

Well, if you sold the raw materials instead, you would end up with MORE money for LESS time.

I'll use monkfish cooking as an example. Cooking would be a 40 coin potential loss, but at the same time you gain experience in that skill, at the same amount time it would have taken if you had bought it and trained.

That's what I meant, at least.

It all boils down to play style.

Skilcapes were a disaster for gameplay in Runescape.

Thats your excuse for anything skill related.

I think even though you wont get as much if you sell the second Items from a gathering based skill like woodcutting, you still get rewarded with EXP and can use that high level to make more money back. Thats why I've been farming for my Herblore...only problem is I keep forgetting to go and harvest my herbs 80% of the time :wall:

PS: on a side note, I thought you were talking about XP Operating System, then I looked at the top f the boards saying rants and had a facepalm moment. #-o

Popoto.~<3

It really was the skillcapes that made secondary skills go down the drain. Everyone wants skill capes, and if you can make profit doing these skills, and its fast, it was inevitable the profit wouldn't last long. I like to be self sufficient also. I farm my own herbs, quite often I mine my own ore to make my own arrows, I kill my own dragons for prayer and crafting exp, etc. :P It's how I choose to play. Yes, I wish we could go back to the time when secondary skills were actually worth looking at, but there isn't anything we can do.

Blakdragon39.png

I think even though you wont get as much if you sell the second Items from a gathering based skill like woodcutting, you still get rewarded with EXP and can use that high level to make more money back. Thats why I've been farming for my Herblore...only problem is I keep forgetting to go and harvest my herbs 80% of the time :wall:

PS: on a side note, I thought you were talking about XP Operating System, then I looked at the top f the boards saying rants and had a facepalm moment. #-o

That is the reason for everything skill related. The incentive for making food or potions or anything else is no longer to sell it for a profit, but to get a pixel cape. That is extremely bizarre.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

We are playing this pixel game. Your point?

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

It really was the skillcapes that made secondary skills go down the drain. Everyone wants skill capes, and if you can make profit doing these skills, and its fast, it was inevitable the profit wouldn't last long. I like to be self sufficient also. I farm my own herbs, quite often I mine my own ore to make my own arrows, I kill my own dragons for prayer and crafting exp, etc. :P It's how I choose to play. Yes, I wish we could go back to the time when secondary skills were actually worth looking at, but there isn't anything we can do.

Actually, it was the advent of the G.E. that made secondary skills "go down the drain". And, TBH all this did was bring RuneScape in line with most other MMO's: by placing a value on the potential experience in said raw material.

OT- It really doesn't bother me if people want to "buy" skills, it's always an option to do it yourself, and while no one else will know you did it the hard way, you will, and that should be what counts.

newge4.png

Where did the old Runescape go? When everything was not all about money to buy skills. When prayer wasn't trained by buying bones for 2k each then running to Guilded Alters with your war tortoise for weeks (or bull ant... or terrorbird).

Other than herblore and farming, I mostly DIY train. (With acception to my 56 construction which I speed trained because I thought I could be one of the first to 99.. then realized how expensive it would be... :oops: )

I know this rant is sort of falsified by the logical opinion of "people have every right to do what they want, it's just a game", but it sort of reflects the world of greed we live in.

Runescape is and will always be a peaceful place where I can just mine 1k iron ore and 2k coal, make 200 steel bodies and alch without having to worry about greedy merchants at the G.E.

People do not realize the logic behind how easy Jagex made it to level up manufacturing skills. The reason why the XP ratios are so higher is not to make them buyable, that was not their intention, I'm sure! But instead, it gives people the freedom to level up in both skills, and have the choice to sell some of their extra raw goods if they wish.

Note: I am not claiming that every XP that I have on my account is DIY, and that I haven't bought/sold raw goods for XP or cash. I am simply saying that people could have higher resource skills AND their secondary skills if they played the game how it was originally meant to be played.

Take a look at your bolded text. That is a complete contradiction of your rant.

Mystik01.gif

How is not training the DIY way a bad thing, it's not like the money you use for training a skill just falls out of the air, you actually spend time getting the money which is needed to train a skill, IMO there isn't a lot of difference between the two. If you want to train smithing, you go mine some ores first, then smith them and make money from the products. If I want to train smithing, I go make money for the ores, and then buy and smith them, while losing some money. Then i go train mining when I feel like it, because i still want the xp, but i can sell the ores and make some profit from that, which is more then i lose from smithing.

We both end up with smithing xp, mining xp and a small profit. Probably your pure profit would be bigger, but that is because it took you a lot longer to get it.

It's an MMORPG, where people have a choice of how to play, I don't see how you can get upset if someone takes a different road.especially when it's technically better :P

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

That is the reason for everything skill related. The incentive for making food or potions or anything else is no longer to sell it for a profit, but to get a pixel cape. That is extremely bizarre.

Seriously guys, I agree with TheDayRsDied. I mean, look at what we were doing with skilling before skillcapes: Curing diabetes with herblore, ending world hunger with fishing and cooking, tearing down the rainforest with woodcutting, building homeless shelters with construction, hunting dangerous beasts with hunter and slayer, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor with theiving, and making kickass parkour videos with agility.

Now Runescape isn't doing those great things irl. We just want skill capes. If you guys can't see how skillcapes ruined the point of the game, you're alfjsl;jg;lhfowuirodjkl;jglhgagf-urk...I think I'm having a stroke.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

To Do-It-Yourself is terribly inefficient. Perhaps the "old RuneScape" died when people gave opportunity costs a thought and did some simple calculations. I "buy" the levels in every skill I can, because it's the most efficient way to train.

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

To Do-It-Yourself is terribly inefficient. Perhaps the "old RuneScape" died when people gave opportunity costs a thought and did some simple calculations. I "buy" the levels in every skill I can, because it's the most efficient way to train.

I'd think it died when people gave absolute efficiency and e-manhood pride over playing the game, personally. I know a guy that got 85+ fletching simply because it made him money. Nowadays the community looks down on fletching because it's fast and at best you make a small profit. Nobody gets it for any other reason than a skillcape.

There are also players who will not touch minigames because they aren't an efficient use of time. The point is, very few players seem interested in playing the game to kill time, relax, be with friends, etc anymore.

The oldest RuneScape I know is 2005. After reading the complaints of many "loyal veterans", what I gathered was the one thing wrong in the game today, or even before the GE was that people didn't do things simply for skillcapes and money. I can't confirm this, however.

The point behind MMORPGs is that you can take your own path and play any way you wanna play.

Post subject: Re: Looking at people buying their XP sorta makes me wanna cry..

TheDayRsDied wrote:

Dark_Aura wrote:

TheDayRsDied wrote:

I think even though you wont get as much if you sell the second Items from a gathering based skill like woodcutting, you still get rewarded with EXP and can use that high level to make more money back. Thats why I've been farming for my Herblore...only problem is I keep forgetting to go and harvest my herbs 80% of the time

PS: on a side note, I thought you were talking about XP Operating System, then I looked at the top f the boards saying rants and had a facepalm moment.

Seriously guys, I agree with TheDayRsDied. I mean, look at what we were doing with skilling before skillcapes: Curing diabetes with herblore, ending world hunger with fishing and cooking, tearing down the rainforest with woodcutting, building homeless shelters with construction, hunting dangerous beasts with hunter and slayer, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor with theiving, and making kickass parkour videos with agility.

Now Runescape isn't doing those great things irl. We just want skill capes. If you guys can't see how skillcapes ruined the point of the game, you're alfjsl;jg;lhfowuirodjkl;jglhgagf-urk...I think I'm having a stroke.

+ :thumbup: