Good Friday = Bad Friday!!

TheLad1

Before I start - Yes I do feel Stupid & Yes I probably deserve everything I'm going to have thrown at me, but I feel my sheer stupidness may stop someone else making the same mistake.

Today for the first time in mr RL life I got scammed - it was the PM that asks you to vote for Tip-it. I hadn't read the previous topic warning about this & was in a hurry, so went ahead without even thinking & entered my log in details!!!!

Regrettably, I then had to go out for a couple of hours & when I returned lo & behold I couldn't log in.

First I thought 'Damn Caps Lock on again' however, it wasn't to be.

I immediately went to recover the account & within 90 minutes had control of it again (thank you Jagex).

Before I left I was just about to do my next Slayer task of Gargoyles, so was wearing Bandos Chest & Tassets, Slayer Helm, Drag Boots, Fury & Zerker Ring, DFS, Whip & SGS.

When I regained control I was in the GE minus the Fury, Zerker, Whip & D Boots, but with the following in inventory-

16m cash

Obby Shield

Obby Cape

Glory

42 Dragon Arrows

Dh Axe (0)

Rune Beserker Shield

72 Rune Bolts

81 Abby Bolts

8 Monkfish

& Fishing Brawling Gloves!!!

Now correct me if i'm wrong - I don't think I've done too bad out of the deal - Yes I've got some junk, but I never had any before so that will help when I lend out SGS.

My Bank is still fully intact - just as well as its got about 250m of stuff in it.

My advice to anyone now is:-

1) Make sure you have Recovery Questions set.

2) Always have a Bank Pin

3) Don't be a Stupid Idiot (like me) & reply to PM's from an unknown source.

Be Safe.........

the_lad_1.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i did the same thing as you but i left it over-night..got cleaned out of 80mil and got left with loads of junk and they used my account for pvp and did rubbish with it....they managed to get past my pin....what use are they if they don't help..

[spoiler=Sig]oliboli1992.png

Oliboli1992.png

I like to think of the Dark Bow like a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) - you get one shot and then you're screwed.

I got that PM too, but since it said that I would get banned from the community if I didn't answer it and that I know that the tip.it crew are nice people, I knew that it would steal my pass.

I was trying to do too many things at once & only skim read the PM - that was my 1st mistake!!!

the_lad_1.png

At least you got your stuff back for the most part :) It could have been worse.

Kind of a silly mistake, but it happens to most people at some point. I doubt you'll click a random link again like that without thinking about it first.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

First I thought 'Damn Caps Lock on again' however, it wasn't to be.

When tying in your RSN or pass, CAPS does nothing. I often type in my stuff in full caps.

I think I was probably clutching at straws, before my brain would accept the realisation that I'd been an idiot.

the_lad_1.png

What does it ask for login details of? And what does the site it takes you too look like?

If it asks for runescape details, then does the site look like the Jagex login? If it doesn't then somethings wrong with everyone. What was the url? Everyone should watch where they're putting any sort of login details. :D

Blakdragon39.png

I don't think it's possible for anyone at any point to prevent these scam sites from claiming users other than more warnings. Even then, there is always someone who thinks that it always happens to someone else.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

What does it ask for login details of? And what does the site it takes you too look like?

If it asks for runescape details, then does the site look like the Jagex login? If it doesn't then somethings wrong with everyone. What was the url? Everyone should watch where they're putting any sort of login details. :D

It takes you to a site identical to Jagex & asks you to log in.

Copy of Pm below.

Message subject: Vote for Tip.it on Runescape poll! *Important*

Sent: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:20 pm

To: TheLad1

Hello Tip.it users,

As you might, or might not know yet, Jagex has set up a new Poll to vote for the best Runescape fan site and community. Tip.it are one of those sites that can win WITH your help!

The poll ends tomorow morning or afternoon, so there would be no cheating on the polls. Please vote for Tip.it!!

Links:

To vote for Tip.it:

.com/[Please go to the Runescape website to view Polls]]http://[Please go to the Runescape website to view Polls]/c=GvCnKwNcrG8/vote.ws?id=299,1889,77,9=tipit

To vote for any other community:

.com/[Please go to the Runescape website to view Polls]]http://[Please go to the Runescape website to view Polls]/c=GvCnKwNcrG8/vote.ws?id=299,1729,89,2=choose

Again, this is very important event for us, so please vote!

Thank you!

Having re-read the PM I feel even dumber - gramatically it stinks.

An up date - the hacker left a new Friend on my Friends List, who just happened to be on-line, so I had a quick chat with him & he confirms that he purchased my tassets from a 'friend'!! I'll see if I can supply Jagex with his RS name so they can investigate.

the_lad_1.png

This is the PM:

top_left.gif

Hello Tip.it users,

As you might, or might not know yet, Jagex has set up a new Poll to vote for the best Runescape fan site and community.

Tip.it are one of those sites that can win WITH your help!

The poll ends tomorow morning or afternoon, so there would be no cheating on the polls. Please vote for Tip.it!!

Links:

To vote for Tip.it:

Link Removed

To vote for any other community:

Link Removed

Again, this is very important event for us, so please vote!

(Not participating in this major event might cause you temporarily suspentions from our community, as it only takes 30 seconds to vote!!)

Thank you!

strip.gifstrip.gifstrip.gifstrip.gif

lulz what ever happened to the good old days when scammers stood in the varrock bank basement convincing people that if they typed their password and then pressed alt+f4 then the bank vault would open?

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

lulz what ever happened to the good old days when scammers stood in the varrock bank basement convincing people that if they typed their password and then pressed alt+f4 then the bank vault would open?

Lol, i actually never saw that and i've been playing for a while, but I miss the days like that, where the poor sad noobs fall for it. like the scams "trade me your rune plate and i'll trade it back and give you 100k with it" I never understood the logic behind those o.O

cac29dfe51.png

image.png

Please click and warm up my egg.

I got the pm and forwarded it to an admin because I just don't click anymore links unless it's from a tip.it user I know.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I don't really get how anyone could fall for this. It's kinda common sense to realize that Tip.it mods aren't going to waste time sending a PM to every user. If there was a poll, there would most likely be a sticky announcing it, and there most certainly would never be a threat of banning for people who don't vote.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

TBH, you seem to have come out ahead with 16m for fury, zerker, whip and D boots. But common sense would dictate you don't trust PMs, ever, and if you approach it that way, you will be careful.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Very lucky.

This happened to me. Luckily, I was logged in at the time and was able to recover my account without the hackers ever getting on. I really hate scammers, but you seem to have come out far ahead.

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

Kaze_the_Ace.png

SLAYERGEEK

Phishing

All I can say is lol

and

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: When they get arrested by the FBI for phishing.

Tbh the FBI don't care about your Runescape account.

You made the global announcements though man! Congratulations :lol:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I feel sorry for you, even though you were a bit lucky. Be more careful next time. ;)

I got hacked like this when I was ~level 60 (quite a while ago)

Except the hacker made me about 1m before I was able to sucssesfully recover my account. :lol:

0neJudgement.png

Goals:

94 magic

94 ranged

55 slayer

Addy gloves-done

said user was banned.

Honestly i'm suprised people click on these things...

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln