Reading

AndyPandy

Hey guys, I'm a little bit of a Vonnegut and Bukowski fan, even though they're completely different types of writers, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on something that's a mix of the two ? Something semi-autobiographical which is also funny and to a degree morbid ?

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys, I'm a little bit of a Vonnegut and Bukowski fan, even though they're completely different types of writers, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on something that's a mix of the two ? Something semi-autobiographical which is also funny and to a degree morbid ?

Journey to the End of the Night by Céline and Hunger by Knut Hamsun would both fit perfectly. Two of the finest novels ever written in any case.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I just finished the Rapsody trilogy by Elizabeth Haydon. Great books and apparently there is a second trilogy. Heh while writing this I remembered I have to go to the library. But anywho the books (fantasy) are brilliant although some parts are a bit too corny for my liking; probably because I'm a guy. Before that I read Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodking hoping for 2 months worth of reading as the series is very long. For an international bestseller it was pretty awful. And by that I mean I wouldn't even use the book to whipe my butt. The average toddler book has more character development and it was full of plotholes. Anywho, off to the library.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Collapse by Jared Diamond can put anybody to sleep in 10 minutes but I will finish it!

I also recommend Life Ascending by ______ for anyone who's curious about the origins of life and it's filled a lot of fun evolutionary inventions.

hiccup.png

Journey to the End of the Night by Céline and Hunger by Knut Hamsun would both fit perfectly. Two of the finest novels ever written in any case.

Will definitely look into both of them, thanks ! :mrgreen:

I just started the The Gecko's Foot by Peter Forbes, excellent so far. It's about the industry of bio-mimicry, how science, although looking towards the stars billions of light years away can't always find the solutions to the problems that are most relevant to us. So, we look to nature and the of usages of natural forms within industry/technology. A bit wordy if you're not the science type, but he does really write fluidly. :thumbup:

Just bought the three Science of Discworld books, Science of Discworld, The Globe, and Darwin's Watch.

They pretty much go between one story chapter, and one science chapter, which is pretty awesome. Finished the first one, in which the wizards accidentally created the universe, and Earth. :3 The science stuff is really interesting too.

Also onto the second book of the second Sparhawk trilogy by David Eddings, The Shining Ones. They're so awesome. >_< I love the characters in them.

And, finally, almost finished Darkfall, by Isobelle Carmody. Pretty interesting stuff, I suppose. First of a trilogy.

And after these, I've got the Earthsea Quartet, by Ursula Le Guin to read, and the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson. From the synopsis I've read, it sounds pretty interesting, but I'm worried about the readability of it, kinda. One of his other series were pretty hard to read initially, but once it got rolling, it was pretty awesome, and my cousin said that this one was kinda similar to that. So, yeah.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I've slowly been reading a book called A Beaver is Eating My Canoe. It is a group of short stories (compiled by Matt Jackson, written by the people telling them) involving people and their misfortunes. Some of them are funny, some are dull, but overall a good collection. I'm probably going to get the rest of the books soon, but I'm not sure how many there are.

Since we don't need 2 threads dealing with literature, please use the more recent thread here. ( http://forum.tip.it/topic/262009-literature/page__st__80 )

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!