Reading

AndyPandy

Do you read? What do you read? When do you read? Do you enjoy reading?

I love reading. I've read a lot of the CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore, they're really well written. I like spy books mostly, and I read before I go to sleep in the evening, helps to fill my mind with things to dream about.

Do you read?

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont read, but if I ever did it'd be the series of Dexter books.

I only read this forum ;), and games that need reading.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

I used to read a lot, but recently i've became lazy for reading and haven't read a book for a long, long time =(

I've read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings a lot + any "youth" book i got my hands on...

I don't really know what kind of books i would like now :P

chat.png

"Happines only real when shared."

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gag0.png[/hide]

I read around 4 or 5 books a week. I want to be a writer, so it's just like research for me. Lately I've been doing a lot of re-reading. In the last few weeks I've re-read 'The Old Man and the Sea' by Hemingway, 'Crime and Punishment' and 'Notes from the Underground by Dostoevsky', the complete Kafka, and am currently re-reading 'The Satanic Verses' by Rushdie.

I've also been on a foray into the drunk and decadent American writers such as Charles Bukowski ('Barfly', 'Women', 'Factotum') and John Fante ('Wait Until Spring, Bandini' and 'Ask the Dust'). My grandpa has also just given me a book of essays by Lytton Strachey which I'm very much looking forward to reading.

I think the fantasy novels that most people here seem to love are trash. Granted, I can't judge each individual book as I haven't read them, but I find the genre completely unappealing.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I love reading. I've read a lot of the CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore, they're really well written. I like spy books mostly, and I read before I go to sleep in the evening, helps to fill my mind with things to dream about.

Do you read?

CHERUB are love. You read the first in the Henderson's Boys series? It's just as epic as the CHERUB series. It makes me sad sometimes because I wish I could be a CHERUB :cry:

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

I think the fantasy novels that most people here seem to love are trash. Granted, I can't judge each individual book as I haven't read them, but I find the genre completely unappealing.
That genre simply allows people to escape reality and fantasize. Sure they aren't going to make those who read them more intellectual, but they are fun to read...so look at those books more so like you'd look at playing a game - for entertainment purposes only.

May the presents of our lord and savior, Santa, be with you this holiday season!

First annual Clausmas - 2009 December 25

Do you read?

CHERUB are love. You read the first in the Henderson's Boys series? It's just as epic as the CHERUB series. It makes me sad sometimes because I wish I could be a CHERUB :cry:

I love the CHERUB series, I feel exactly the same as you do about becoming one. :P

I used to read a lot, but recently i've became lazy for reading and haven't read a book for a long, long time =(

I've read Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings a lot + any "youth" book i got my hands on...

I don't really know what kind of books i would like now :P

Well, since you've read LoTR it shows you have some patience for some parts.

Try Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, or Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. Both are excellent books in my opinion, been meaning to actually get copies of them.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

Mixture of things, I'd say my favourite generes would have to be science-fiction and thrillers. I did read the CHERUB series ages ago back when there were only a few books out, but I've kind of moved on to other things. Recently I've been reading a lot of sci-fi, mainly the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov and Odyssey by Arthur C. Clarke. I'm not a big fan of fantasy though, I tried reading the first wheel of time book but I couldn't really get into it :|

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Do you read?

I love the CHERUB series, I feel exactly the same as you do about becoming one. :P

Same here :cry: It would be so awesome! I'd love to be mates with bruce. That guy covering your back would be cool.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

[hide=Madmanpur3/Lateralus quote]

That genre simply allows people to escape reality and fantasize. Sure they aren't going to make those who read them more intellectual, but they are fun to read...so look at those books more so like you'd look at playing a game - for entertainment purposes only.
[/hide]

I agree with Madmanpur3, i read books for entertainment, not to educate. Well, i've read some moral ones and those books about drugs, alcohol and other problems of teenagers. I think those were at least a tiny bit educational =]

I also like to read the books i really like several times:

LotR 4 times,

Harry Potter at least 3 times each book,

Bobri(slovenian for The Beavers. A book by Janez Jalen, slovenian writer. An excellent book about lake dwellers who lived in the area where Slovenia is now) 4 times,

Pod Svobodnim Soncem(Under the Free Sun. Another slovenian book, by Fran S. Fingar, about our ancestor the Slavs, who lived in the time of Byzantium emperor Justinian) 2 or 3 times,

and quite a lot of other books i enjoyed =D

Sworddude, thanks for reccomendation, i will definitely search for those books and try to read them. You gave me a good initiative to start reading again ;) Thanks!

chat.png

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

Gag0.png[/hide]

After school ended for me a few weeks ago I've read quite a bunch of classics (Lord of the flies, Clockwork orange, Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, Nausea) and a book about nanotechnology (Soft machines) and one about the history of America's christian right. I've just started with Crime and Punishment.

It's something I do to pass time.

I try to read as much as I can mostly as a form of escapism from boredom.

Read fantasy novels once in a long while, but just to put into context, over the last week I've read A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess), The Stranger (Albert Camus), The Consolations of Philosophy (Alain De Botton). I like reading not only the classics but also [relatively] new and interesting books. Leave me at Borders or Barnes & Noble for a day and I'd come out with a mountain of paper. I'd like to think I'll read all the books I want to, but the reality is that I read about 30% - 40% of all the books I'd like to. Take for instance some Edgar Allan Poe - Collection of Works and Basic Kafka Collection - (Bantam Edition) - I'd love to read and re-read those but I don't find the time. As to when I read - whenever I've got time. Trying to read god is not great, in the near future.

List of My Favourites :

The Catcher in the Rye

Animal Farm

A Clockwork Orange

1985 - (Yes, it does exist - ;))

Brave New World

Metamorphoses

The Death of A Salesman

The Stranger

The Castle

Most Books written by Bill Bryson

Most Books written by Christopher Hitchens (regards, lateralus)

*says in gangta style* "Reading is awesome, don't hate on it"

I personally love fantasy books, though I despise the one book that is a synopsis for the whole genre, LOTR :-#

My favourite author is David Eddings, I would recommend The Belgariad & The Malloreon series of books by him. Great, and very absorbing read!

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

Some of my favorites:

Harry Potter

Lord of the Rings (been meaning to reread them soon)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the other four(ish) in the triliogy. (Douglas Adams is amazing :thumbsup: )

Anything by Tamora Pierce (except the Circle of Magic/The Circle Begins quartets) Seriously, her books are amazing, I recommend The Lioness Quartet and Protector of the Small Quartet, as well as Trickster's Choice and Trickster's Queen.

Graceling by Kristen Cashore is a new one that's one of my favorites.

The Book of Five Rings by Myamoto Musashi is an excellent book about Musashi's school of samurai and stuff you can use in everyday life.

The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell is an interesting study into the monomyth.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and his other books in Ender's world are great.

The Last Apprentice and Ranger's Apprentice series are really good as well, I get them mixed up a lot due to the similarites (the main character's name is Will in both and the titles are similar)

There's books about Drizzt Do'Urden (I think that's his name), they're pretty good epic fantasy stuff in the D&D realm. Actually there's lots of good D&D novels out there, and Star Wars ones I like too.

I also like a lot of 'generic teen fantasy (aka vampire)' books... Yeah I love Twilight, but Breaking Dawn is my favorite, The Host (also by Stephanie Meyer) is great as well. The House of Night series is also a good vampire series... And The Chronicles of Vladimir Todd are aimed at junior-high kids but they're pretty good too.

I really like Eldest but I hate Brisingr and don't like Eragon that much.

I almost forgot the Pendragon series, those books are great too... And The Life and Times of Octavian Nothing (historical fiction, revolutionary war time) books are really good as well.

Also there's a thread on this in the Library if you want to discuss a favorite book: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=786455

and am currently re-reading 'The Satanic Verses' by Rushdie.

thats one of my favourite books, it also happens to be the book i found hardest to read

I used to read for about an hour daily but I stopped once I could use the internet in my room -.-

I mainly read sci fi, but any popular adult book is generally readable

NICKELEY102.png

I don't read much, I would like to read more, because when I read it pleases me. But it takes a lot of time, and I want to spend time on other things as well. When I read it's mostly books about movies and I'm reading The Jungle by Upton Sinclair at the moment.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

I've just came back from the library with Catcher in the Rye, Animal Farm and Brave New World and going to attempt reading one of them later today. They are not originals, but translated into slovenian language.

chat.png

[hide=Stats]Gago.png

Gag0.png[/hide]

I want to be a writer, so it's just like research for me.

That's exactly the way I've always thought of reading since I developed an interest in writing. It's more enjoyable than ever now.

If you at least want to give the genre a chance, I would try A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin. It's a series (fantasy is like that) beginning with A Game of Thrones. You really can't go wrong with them. Especially from a technical standpoint. Martin is arguably the most skilled writer in the trade (for fantasy at least) right now.

Fanboyism over . . . I finished Great Expectations a while back. Now it's Frankenstein. Both are fantastic.

Also reading The Dark Tower because I feel like I haven't done Stephen King justice. I'm on the second one don't quite know what to make of them yet.

p2gq.jpg

I still can't bring myself to read Julius Caesar.I've done up to after Antony's speech.Still got Octavius' part to go.

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

Do you read?

Can you tell me someone who read them books and didn't wish that?

howlin1eeveesig.png

I love reading. It's finding the right books that's hard for me.

Because I don't like being disappointed by a book, I tend not to read anything that hasn't been highly recommended by someone that knows me really well. Then, if I like the book, I'll go out and get all of that author's books and read through all of them over the next few months. Once I've read them all, I can go for months before I find a new author that I like.

I tend to either read in my living room on our armchair or in bed and can read at pretty much any time.

My favorite genre would have to be action/suspense and my favorite authors are Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti (If you haven't already, I suggest you go read House. Written by both Dekker and Peretti, that book actually kept me awake at night with fear if I went to bed right after reading it).

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found