Reading

AndyPandy

Haha, I just had a thought that if I want some good books to read I should look into all the ones referenced in Lost. The most recent one being Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor. Others include The Stand (which I've read, great book), Catch-22, Alice in Wonderland, Turn of the Screw, Our Mutual Friend ([bleep]ens <3: ), Of Mice and Men (also read), and a ton of others.

That is starting to sound like a really good idea as I sit here typing it :lol: EDIT: Full list of references from the show: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Literary_references

Brave New World is strange. I'm now weirded out by the word "pneumatic."

p2gq.jpg

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Malazan book of the fallen <3: It takes a while to get trough the first book, but after that it's absolutely great. It was a surprise it has only been mentioned once on this thread :-# Just finished the 8th book of the series, I heard the 9th one won't come out untill september. To bad...

o0_omega_00.png

Haha, I just had a thought that if I want some good books to read I should look into all the ones referenced in Lost. The most recent one being Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor. Others include The Stand (which I've read, great book), Catch-22, Alice in Wonderland, Turn of the Screw, Our Mutual Friend ([bleep]ens <3: ), Of Mice and Men (also read), and a ton of others.

That is starting to sound like a really good idea as I sit here typing it :lol: EDIT: Full list of references from the show: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Literary_references

Brave New World is strange. I'm now weirded out by the word "pneumatic."

Thank God i dont have to read that darn book ever again my life, i read it the first time in Year 9, and i thought it was good, then i found out we had to study it in detail and quotes and stuff and now i hate it lol. Just had the exam on it this morning. Was so-so, BUT I CAN BURN THE BOOK NOW! YAAAAAAAY!

shadowsigzeddude-1.jpg

Read some Poe short stories today. Edgar Allan Poe is [developmentally delayed]ed. It's a love/hate thing with him. His stories just drone on endlessly, pointlessly but he is a master at the use of language so yeah...

The Third Sunday makes you want to :XD:

anybody got any books they can recommend to me that'd make me think about things? I like books like that.

Can you be a bit more specific/Like, what are some books that have had that effect on you before?

I have just finished Neil Gaiman's American Gods, and it was quite a great read. The story is about a man named Shadow who is released from jail after three years to be told that his wife had died in a car crash . He gets a plane ride home for the funeral when he meets a man that calls himself Wednesday, who seems to know more about Shadow than anyone should. Shadow eventually begins to work for Wednesday and becomes involved in a great conflict between the old gods and the new. Even if this sounds cheesy, I would highly recommend this book to most anyone, though I admit that it is a mature read. The book never drags at all throughout its ~600 pages, and Gaiman's writing is stellar.

I don't read anymore due to the fact that reading a required number of books isn't required in high school like it was in 8th grade. Lately I've taken an interest to the school magazine, they've got some very interesting articles in there.

Also I used to read a lot of young adult realistic fiction, as well as science fiction.

What's a sig?

anybody got any books they can recommend to me that'd make me think about things? I like books like that.

1984/Animal Farm

George Corwell.

i think...

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

• 4 weeks later...

Brave New World just got in at my library, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. I also have The Bourne Conspiracy on hold, but it hasn't come in yet.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I read a book called siddhartha on a suggestion from my english teacher, first book thats actually brought me to tears in just about forever. I would suggest it for anyone interested in it, based in india and deals with some deeply religious stuff.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I read a book called siddhartha on a suggestion from my english teacher, first book thats actually brought me to tears in just about forever. I would suggest it for anyone interested in it, based in india and deals with some deeply religious stuff.

Good book. Herman Hesse won the Pulitzer for it. Still relevant today.

I also highly reccommend it.

Do you read?

Pretty vague. Doesn't really spark discussion

However, yes I read

Conn Iggulden (Emporer series, and that Genghis khan one-I'm too lazy to check)

James Patterson (Maximum Ride is going downhill from no.4, Alex Cross is good, Black Market suck...to name a few)

Tom Clancy (Rainbow Six is good, Op Center-call to treason not so much)

Read David Gemmell for a while

Raymond E. Feist (same as above)

More authors whose names I do not remember

Understanding.png

"Probably the worst thing I do is take bubble baths. But manly ones."

No matter what the avatar looks like, I'm male

Already finished reading one of my summer books, Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. Took me a while to get into the writing style, but once it clicked I couldn't put the book down.

Also read Volume 1 (books 1-3) of The Belgariad by David Eddings. Despite recommendations, including rave reviews from here on TIF, I found the books pretty bad and have no desire to finish the series.

Currently into Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower IV.) Nice quality fantasy after reading Eddings.

p2gq.jpg

Do you read?

*looks at page number* Well, looks to me like it has sparked discussion :P

Can anyone recommend me a few good books on personality psychology? It's been interesting me lately.

wl7w9j.png

Currently into Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower IV.) Nice quality fantasy after reading Eddings.

Argh! I've had the first 3 books in on my shelf doing nothing for months now. I just don't have the motivation, but I want to read them. I know it makes no sense, but yea... xD

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

I'm not the biggest reader, always been like that and this will haunt me when I go to college this summer.

I am however reading a book for summer reading called "The absolutely true diary of a part-time Indian"

This is actually a great book, and im enjoying reading now ::'

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

Currently reading:

Nothing...except for Nintendo Power. The lack of reading materials at our library disturbs me.

Last thing I read was this book called Beat the Reaper by a new author. It was fantastic. Funny, action packed. A great book.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Do you read?

*looks at page number* Well, looks to me like it has sparked discussion :P

Can anyone recommend me a few good books on personality psychology? It's been interesting me lately.

Damn my inability to see numbers and to register what they mean :oops:

Understanding.png

"Probably the worst thing I do is take bubble baths. But manly ones."

No matter what the avatar looks like, I'm male