Reading

AndyPandy

Just finished 1984 on the will to go without sleep.

Not sure if I liked it or brave new world more, ironically I think they are so different that I can't decide.

I have to admit though, that book really got to me; I think certain parts of the plot are a little unrealistic(interrogator is too far beyond sociopathic) but dang...

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read... mostly things that are not books.

I used to be the same way. But now I've started reading books, since I'm no longer forced to by any form of school.

I'm still looking for copies of most of John Grisham's books, so I haven't been reading a lot lately.

I finally decided, Brave New World is a better book then 1984.

I really appreciate the writing of 1984, but there are two things I find flawed that killed its edge

a. the ending feels rather contrived; not like the last page but the last few chapters just have a lot of stuff that felt unrealistic

b. I think its counterpoint to the obvious immorality(argument that perception is everything) is presented in a way that shows it as clearly "wrong". Brave New World has the beautifully written banter between John and Mustafa that really pulls the work together, a feature I think 1984 lacks

On the bright side, 1984 is degrees of magnitude more terrifying to read.

awteno.jpg

I like reading mostly fantasy, horror, action and well thought out mystery/detective books.

The book I'm reading atm is called Druss by David Gemmel. <- Quite a good read

Hunter

rawr7zv.gif

Thanks to Goldwolflord, megadedhed, willmcdermot, Biabf, jak722, born2die, Mediumwell, xxxShade, Random, speedofsound, edtheripper, and Alduron for the awesome sig

I really appreciate the writing of 1984, but there are two things I find flawed that killed its edge

a. the ending feels rather contrived; not like the last page but the last few chapters just have a lot of stuff that felt unrealistic

b. I think its counterpoint to the obvious immorality(argument that perception is everything) is presented in a way that shows it as clearly "wrong". Brave New World has the beautifully written banter between John and Mustafa that really pulls the work together, a feature I think 1984 lacks

what's funny is brave new world is OLDER than 1984 and it

s way more insightful and accurate, 1084 is just scare mongering it's ridiculous. it read more like an encyvkopedia when compared to bnw. wrote a comparative essay between the two for my senior year

I just started Brave New World and I have already completed 1984 this year. I have found both of them to be very interesting.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I just started Brave New World and I have already completed 1984 this year. I have found both of them to be very interesting.

I'm going to read brave new world sometime soon, I really liked 1984, made me think about things a lot. I'm currently reading World War Z, lots of zumbeh dreams again. :D D:

s way more insightful and accurate, 1084 is just scare mongering it's ridiculous. it read more like an encyvkopedia when compared to bnw. wrote a comparative essay between the two for my senior year

I think 1984 is very powerful; its been haunting me for a few days which I think is the idea.

BNW is showing what could happen if power is unchecked; 1984 is showing why we can't let power be unchecked(in a way, the world in bnw is something I wouldn't mind, after all whats actually wrong with it?

1984's main beauty is showing the sheer wrongness that can happen when you think about it

spoilers

[hide=]O reilley's sheer sociopathy beyond sociopathy is a key factor here. The fact that the party is pursuing power for the hell of it is evil beyond even hitler. Their isn't a goal of better life for one group, its just lets just screw up everything so we keep the party in power.[/hide]

I don't think 1984 is great plot wise since it kind of breaks down at the end, but I think its real beauty is in the central theme that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

awteno.jpg

I think 1984 is very powerful; its been haunting me for a few days which I think is the idea.

BNW is showing what could happen if power is unchecked; 1984 is showing why we can't let power be unchecked(in a way, the world in bnw is something I wouldn't mind, after all whats actually wrong with it?

1984's main beauty is showing the sheer wrongness that can happen when you think about it

spoilers

[hide=]O reilley's sheer sociopathy beyond sociopathy is a key factor here. The fact that the party is pursuing power for the hell of it is evil beyond even hitler. Their isn't a goal of better life for one group, its just lets just screw up everything so we keep the party in power.[/hide]

I don't think 1984 is great plot wise since it kind of breaks down at the end, but I think its real beauty is in the central theme that absolute power corrupts absolutely.

You should read animal farm, it's relatively short, and a good read.

spoilers

You should read animal farm, it's relatively short, and a good read.

I've read it; its a very good book, but again its rather simple(while effective) in its purpose.

Oh, on 1984; the poor being called the proles is a play on proletariat correct?

awteno.jpg

Right now I'm reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and I've just ordered Brighton Rock by Graham Greene.

That's right although I didn't know it originated in 1984, I just thought it was just a common way of shortening the word proletariat.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I had to get The Body of Christopher Creed for summer reading.

Me and my mom (lulz) went to go to a book store and it was sold out. The next store I got the last copy.

I figured it was just all gone because of the hot demand for school, but is this book gud?

I'm currently reading "The Ninja" By Eric Van Lustbader. It's pretty good so far. It was made in the 80's and you don't need to look at the copyright date to tell. Everytime I read some of it I feel like I am in that decade. Pretty good read. Can't suggest it till I finish it though.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Right now I'm reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and I've just ordered Brighton Rock by Graham Greene.

That's right although I didn't know it originated in 1984, I just thought it was just a common way of shortening the word proletariat.

Brighton Rock is great.

I've just finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. It's just a short little thing, but it's an excellent read. I've just started Not Quite World's End by John Simpson. As a journalistic writer he's almost unrivaled. Excellent tales to tell.

As for the Brave New World vs 1984 thing, I find 1984 to be much more powerful. It really is a horrifying read. The sentence "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face ... for ever" always gives me chills.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

As for the Brave New World vs 1984 thing, I find 1984 to be much more powerful. It really is a horrifying read. The sentence "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face ... for ever" always gives me chills.

1984 is much more powerful; but I think Brave New World does better as an actual distopian story. While 1984 is terrifying, BNW is actually believable.

awteno.jpg

This weeks reading (for me anyway)

-Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card (Pretty good so far)

-1632 by Eric Flint

-Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

Dune: The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert (Read the original 3 but have never gotten further than those)

Should be a pretty good set of books.

I've just finished Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. It's just a short little thing, but it's an excellent read. I've just started Not Quite World's End by John Simpson. As a journalistic writer he's almost unrivaled. Excellent tales to tell.

That's John Simpson the BBC's foreign correspondant right? His on camera work is good but I haven't read anything of his, might be worth a read.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

That's John Simpson the BBC's foreign correspondant right? His on camera work is good but I haven't read anything of his, might be worth a read.

Yeah, that's right. His writing is very good.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

I would totally suggest Ender's Game to any Sci-Fi fan. It was normal sci-fi stuff, but the ending was so unexpected, it came from nowhere. Amazing.

Are you kidding me?

You mean the part when [hide=]he was actually fighting the battle the whole time?[/hide]

if it is that then it was [bleep]ing obvious.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I would totally suggest Ender's Game to any Sci-Fi fan. It was normal sci-fi stuff, but the ending was so unexpected, it came from nowhere. Amazing.

Are you kidding me?

You mean the part when [hide=]he was actually fighting the battle the whole time?[/hide]

if it is that then it was [bleep] obvious.

But if you were talking about

[hide=]the bugger queen[/hide]

then yea, that was pretty unexpected.

At least, I thought it was.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

[hide=]Yeah, I mean when they went to the planet to colonize it and found that they read his mind and created the giant and the tower and found the baby. Though really, to tell the truth, I never did think he was actually fighting the buggers until that last battle where he blew up the planet. At that point I was like "Why is it that everyone has to come into the room in order to watch? Maybe it's a real operation."[/hide]

I really did think that the whole colonization chapter was very nicely done.