Reading

AndyPandy

After possibly two months of searching, I have finally procured a copy of His Last Command by Dan Abnett. It's funny, because it's in the middle of a series, but I could easily find all the books before/after in the series. As if the one in the middle was put out of print, but not the others.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't I already make a thread exactly like this?

Or did it just die...

But OT I like the Demonata series by Darren Shan

Cirque du freak was better imo, still, demonata is a great series too.

Have you read The City? That's also pretty awesome, the second book confused the hell out of me towards the end, I still enjoyed it though :D

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

Already finished reading one of my summer books, Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. Took me a while to get into the writing style, but once it clicked I couldn't put the book down.

Also read Volume 1 (books 1-3) of The Belgariad by David Eddings. Despite recommendations, including rave reviews from here on TIF, I found the books pretty bad and have no desire to finish the series.

Currently into Wizard and Glass (Dark Tower IV.) Nice quality fantasy after reading Eddings.

Yeah, from what I've gathered Eddings is pretty awful. I've also heard that the Dark Tower books get bad after book 3 or 4, though I wouldn't know as I'm only about halfway through the first one.

I'm currently reading The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. I'm about halfway through, and it is REALLY good so far.

Yeah, from what I've gathered Eddings is pretty awful. I've also heard that the Dark Tower books get bad after book 3 or 4, though I wouldn't know as I'm only about halfway through the first one.

I've also heard bad things about the latter Dark Tower books. I really loved the first three, and four is pretty good. Not finished with it yet, but it's almost entirely flashback. There was a huge gap in publishing between the first four and the last three, so that might have had something to do with it. I can pretty easily see why King would have stopped for a while if Wizard and Glass was as far as he had solid planning for. Use this book for all the backstory, then what?

The more I think about Eddings now the worse I think he is. It was a pretty easy read, and I had all these nagging issues that didn't really hit home until I got to the end of the books I had.

p2gq.jpg

I've also heard bad things about the latter Dark Tower books. I really loved the first three, and four is pretty good. Not finished with it yet, but it's almost entirely flashback. There was a huge gap in publishing between the first four and the last three, so that might have had something to do with it. I can pretty easily see why King would have stopped for a while if Wizard and Glass was as far as he had solid planning for. Use this book for all the backstory, then what?

The more I think about Eddings now the worse I think he is. It was a pretty easy read, and I had all these nagging issues that didn't really hit home until I got to the end of the books I had.

Oh God, Tamuli (3 in 1) was daunting

Understanding.png

"Probably the worst thing I do is take bubble baths. But manly ones."

No matter what the avatar looks like, I'm male

I just finished Ender's Game. What a fantastic book.

Have you read Ender's Shadow.

I liked it more than Enders Game, if I remember correctly.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I just finished Ender's Game. What a fantastic book.

Have you read Ender's Shadow.

I liked it more than Enders Game, if I remember correctly.

Both are great books. I like Ender better as a character, but as your typical nerd/geek, I find myself more similar to Bean. Either way, if you read one, reading the other is a great idea. :thumbup:

(I can't believe I'm still reading The Silmarillion. It's great, but it reads so slowly...)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

I thought Enders Shadow was the better of the two books, simply because Ender annoyed me and Bean was a badass. A four year old midget badass, but a badass none the less.

I'm also "reading" the The Silmarillion, but I've never gotten more than 50 pages in without giving up. It's just so in depth that it's difficult to keep reading. I set it down about a week ago and forgot about it and I don't think I could just pick up where I left off and have any idea what's going on.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I think I've asked before, but don't remember anyone replying.

Does anyone know any good/interesting books by a female author?

(I specifically need a female author)

Doesn't matter what genre is, but please don't recommend something stupid like Twilight.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Doesn't matter what genre is, but please don't recommend something stupid like Twilight.

I just realized that I don't have too many books written by females on my shelves ...

I don't know what you like, but try, Agatha Christie ? [Yeah, that narrows down the genre alot.]

Another prominent female author; Margaret Atwood.

Or if you want something specific, I could reccommend you - Frankenstein. You've probably done that already in school so, yeah.

If you're into girly stuff [though, not necessarily bad] , you could try Jane Eyre [that's a book] or Wide Sargasso Sea ?

Or, if you haven't read a timeless novel known as To Kill A Mockingbird, I suggest you do that.

I hope that helped.

You can try Bellwether by Connie Willis. Short and clever :thumbup:

Atlas shattered?maybe harry potter also.

Cybermullet.png

Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible was the first that came to mind, not that I liked it all that much. If you are looking for a very feminine narrative, there is always Anne Frank's diary.

I also recently read Outsourcing IT: The Legal Aspects by Rachel Burnett, for a school research paper. :-k

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible was the first that came to mind, not that I liked it all that much. If you are looking for a very feminine narrative, there is always Anne Frank's diary.

I also recently read Outsourcing IT: The Legal Aspects by Rachel Burnett, for a school research paper. :-k

Nah, I'm just looking for a book written by a female author. The criteria this year is to read 6 novels, with a minimum of 2 being female authors.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. :thumbsup:

I'll be sure to check them out. :)

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Atlas shattered?maybe harry potter also.

You mean Atlas Shrugged ?

That's far too long. And it's by Ayn Rand. I don't think Wongtong would like her, or her books.

How about the A House of Night Novels by P.C and Kristin Cast?

I just read book 4 in about 5 or 6 hours (about 420ish pages). I couldn't put it down.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Read something by George Eliot (real name Mary Ann Evans). Her books are published under the name George Eliot, and they're fantastic.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

just read catcher in the rye. considering it is supposed to be an all time american classic or something i thought it was pretty mediocre. i mean it's told in quite a funny way and stuff, but he doesn't really do anything at all in the whole book. pretty strange. :|

iteme3721.jpg

Wongtong, a couple more female-written novel suggestions I thought of: The House of the Spirits by Isabella Allende, Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Hurston, Journey into the Whirlwind by Yevgenia Ginzburg.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

just read catcher in the rye. considering it is supposed to be an all time american classic or something i thought it was pretty mediocre. i mean it's told in quite a funny way and stuff, but he doesn't really do anything at all in the whole book. pretty strange. :|

That's what I've heard as well, although I've never actually read it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti