Reading

AndyPandy

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pendragon books are some of the best YA novels out there.

I would much rather people read Pendragon than Inheritance. Or Twilight. Or even a lot of adult fiction.

p2gq.jpg

I would much rather people read Pendragon than Inheritance. Or Twilight. Or even a lot of adult fiction.

I'm gonna get the final book after baseball today. :D

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Why do so many people like Pendragon? :lol:

No. The real question is why do so many people like Twilight?

Hell, I'll add in another.

Why do so many people like Naruto?

People like Twilight because of the intense action and the beautifully written relationship between Edward and Bella. It's also very realistic and Edward sounds hot

I dunno about Naruto, I think it's something to do with those ninja headbands.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

just read to kill a mockingbird. God Damnit, why'd the black dude have to die?! Not fair! Bob Ewell is the biggest douchebag concievable!

The person you don't want to die always does.

[hide=Spoilers]Hell, reading Elfen Lied, I didn't want Lucy/Nyu to die, well, she did come back I suppose, as twins (One representing Nyu, the other being the third, more human personaility, but hell, she had to die.[/hide]

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

just read to kill a mockingbird. God Damnit, why'd the black dude have to die?! Not fair! Bob Ewell is the biggest douchebag concievable!

So ture...and yet...it's a surprise almost every time. Except for dogs. If a book has a dog on the front cover and it won any award, 99% of the time, the dog dies :-#

Indie_Kids.png

"Don't push me; what's the hurry?" - Imogen Heap

I'm gonna get the final book after baseball today. :D

Sorry for double posting, but the book after Raven Rise is out? OMG, I'M GOING TO GO APE[cabbage]!

Indie_Kids.png

"Don't push me; what's the hurry?" - Imogen Heap

So ture...and yet...it's a surprise almost every time. Except for dogs. If a book has a dog on the front cover and it won any award, 99% of the time, the dog dies :-#

Eg:

mark_haddon_curious_incident.jpg

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well, you know, its a formula that works.

If a dog dies, little kids get a little upset, and its seen as a great book.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

I mainly read epic fantasy when I have time, as well as many "classics" for school (Advanced English and History, so I have to go through a ton of them).

My favorite series by far is the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin (thanks, N0M) and would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys Fantasy. Martin is an incredible writer, especially in the depth of his characters and the brutality he shows towards them.

Lately I've been reading the Malazan Book of the Fallen series by Steven Erikson. I'm halfway through the second book now, and it is really good so far, probably my second favorite series so far behind AsoIaF. It may take a while to get into the first book. The series is much more magic based than Martin's. Also, this guy writes some of the best battle scenes I've read...

Lately in my History class we've read Animal Farm by George Orwell, and I highly enjoyed it, so I picked up 1984 last night and am looking forward to reading it. For the same class, I have recently read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (one of the most boring things I've ever read) and The Trial by Franz Kafka (which would have been really good if it was actually finished). I'm currently reading Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe, and once I got over the lead character's obsession with manliness and yams, it is actually becoming pretty good.

My last few purchases included:

The Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield (historical fiction about the Battle of Thermopylae; i.e. 300)

The Darkness that Comes Before by R. Scott Baker (epic fantasy, really anxious to read, supposedly as good as Martin)

1984 by George Orwell

Candide by Voltaire

Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift

Oh, and just a random question: If I hated The Odyssey, might I still like The Illiad? Also have any of you read Candide? Is it good?

What's a good book by a female author?

(Apart from anything by Adeline Yen Mah)

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Delivered today:

Hunger - Knut Hamsun

Journey to the End of the Night - Louis-Ferdinand Celine

Memoirs from the House of the Dead - Dostoevsky

The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner

The Bandini Quartet - John Fante

The Plague - Albert Camus

This completes my collection of Camus and leaves me with only a few Dostoevsky left to go. I also went to see my grandpa yesterday to talk about what it was like in the Communist party and the war, and he gave me:

The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster

Principles of Literary Criticism - I.A. Richards

Ten Days That Shook the World - John Reed (Apparently very popular with communists)

Bonfire of the Vanities - Tom Wolfe

The New Journalism - Compiled by Tom Wolfe

Bookshelf is looking good.

Ten Days That Shook the World is an excellent book. Somewhat of a dreary read at times, however I suppose it gives you a good perception of a pretty dreary revolution.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

The black guy always dies.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

I'm going to start reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I passed a poster of it at the bookstore and was intrigued. The books sound really interesting.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'm going to start reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. I passed a poster of it at the bookstore and was intrigued. The books sound really interesting.

From what I remember they were really good books. Really interesting, I dont remember if the series is over though. :?

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

From what I remember they were really good books. Really interesting, I dont remember if the series is over though. :?

One of the posters that I passed said that the final book was released just recently (May 5th). And thanks for the review, they definitely sound very interesting. I'm looking forward to reading them :)

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

One of the posters that I passed said that the final book was released just recently (May 5th). And thanks for the review, they definitely sound very interesting. I'm looking forward to reading them :)

DO IT.

I started reading them when the first one came out (I was in 5th or 6th grade, I'm in 9th now). I've always liked Greek mythology, so I naturally liked the series as well. The last one did just come out, but I've been reading The Silmarillion as well so I haven't had a chance to finish it yet. The only thing is that they're aimed for a younger audience, but that means it's an easy read, which is always nice.

I think I'm going to go with 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World and the like this summer. Though I'm pretty sure I'll have a ton of free time, and if they're anything like what I've heard, I'll be done pretty quickly...Who knows.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

DO IT.

I started reading them when the first one came out (I was in 5th or 6th grade, I'm in 9th now). I've always liked Greek mythology, so I naturally liked the series as well. The last one did just come out, but I've been reading The Silmarillion as well so I haven't had a chance to finish it yet. The only thing is that they're aimed for a younger audience, but that means it's an easy read, which is always nice.

I think I'm going to go with 1984, Animal Farm, Brave New World and the like this summer. Though I'm pretty sure I'll have a ton of free time, and if they're anything like what I've heard, I'll be done pretty quickly...Who knows.

Yeah I don't mind an easy read. I'm pretty used to them actually. The kinds of fantasy books that captivate me tend to be written for younger people. The more difficult/adult books just don't captivate me as much (story-wise).

Posted Image

DO IT.

About Brave New World, you could really say it was spilt into three.

Though, as I've said before, the first few chapters seem to drag on a little, as they focus more on the method of how humans are created. So really, The first chapter then until the part where they go to the Reservation is pretty slow. The part in the reservation gets a bit more interesting as you see how they live, and mentally compare both societies. Then, after they leave, it starts to pick up a bit of pace, though does explain more why the classes feel and dream little about a better life.

All in all, its pretty interesting, and ends when it should, it doesn't need to go on longer than it does.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

[hide=]

DO IT.

Yeah I don't mind an easy read. I'm pretty used to them actually. The kinds of fantasy books that captivate me tend to be written for younger people. The more difficult/adult books just don't captivate me as much (story-wise).

[/hide]

Well I started and finished The Lightning Thief today and LOVED it. So I ran down to the bookstore and bought the series. I'm so mad at myself for missing the event at the store two weeks ago. The author was at the bookstore signing books and probably spoke or something. But the bookstore had a signed copy of one of the books left over (book four) so I was able to buy that! It's not as fun as getting it signed myself, but it's still cool to have.

I'm like 1/3rd of the way through the second book now :)

Posted Image

I've got a couple of books I am going to read this summer. First of all I'm going to read Catch 22, and then Moby [bleep]. After reading through this thread, I have decided to look into the Pendragon series and Brave New World as well.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I just started reading Pendragon. Its pretty interesting so far.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

My teacher reccommended Wild Swans by Jung Chang to me. It's about three female generations 20th century China. I haven't read it yet but something is telling me that it will be epic.

rc1tzc.png

☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢ CAUTION ☢