Reading

AndyPandy

Best SF novels are the Hyperion series from Dan Simmons. They're amongst the best books I've ever read. Especially the third part, Endymion. Brilliant.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would totally suggest Ender's Game to any Sci-Fi fan. It was normal sci-fi stuff, but the ending was so unexpected, it came from nowhere. Amazing.

Are you kidding me?

You mean the part when [hide=]he was actually fighting the battle the whole time?[/hide]

if it is that then it was [bleep] obvious.

I didnt see it coming. I read it last year, I enjoyed it, especially the part with Locke and Des

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

Anybody read the foundation series? I read two of them (I think the Second one and Foundation and Earth) and I was wondering what anyone else though of them. I'm probably going to "get" the rest of the series so that's likely to be the extent of my reading this summer since there's 15(?) of them.

Edit: Apparently the whole "Foundation Universe" is 29 books. I've got a lot of reading ahead of me.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Anybody read the foundation series? I read two of them (I think the Second one and Foundation and Earth) and I was wondering what anyone else though of them. I'm probably going to "get" the rest of the series so that's likely to be the extent of my reading this summer since there's 15(?) of them.

Edit: Apparently the whole "Foundation Universe" is 29 books. I've got a lot of reading ahead of me.

I really liked that series, especially Foundation and Empire. You should try reading the rest of the trilogy before the others, though. ;) The story makes more sense that way, and the books by Asimov are by far the best IMO.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

I've read the robot ones and Foundation. The Irobot series or whatever is pretty good, but I never could get into reading foundation.

Got Ender's Shadow. This one should be good. Also wondering if anyone has read Tales of the Otori? The author has one of the cleanest writing styles I have ever read.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

[hide=]Yeah, I mean when they went to the planet to colonize it and found that they read his mind and created the giant and the tower and found the baby. Though really, to tell the truth, I never did think he was actually fighting the buggers until that last battle where he blew up the planet. At that point I was like "Why is it that everyone has to come into the room in order to watch? Maybe it's a real operation."[/hide]

I really did think that the whole colonization chapter was very nicely done.

Really? I thought it was overdone and just weird. Like the 4th Harry Potter, just too much at the end.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

My dad and grandpa raised me on Asimov. He's one of the few sci-fi writers that I can stand these days. The Foundation series is excellent, are the rest of the books set in the same universe. His short stories are something that I really enjoy. The Black Widowers Club (I think it's called - it's been a while) stories are very enjoyable mystery stories, and Nightfall is probably the best piece of short sci-fi I've ever read.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

This past month, I got a lot of reading done:

Alas, Babylon (Pat Frank)

Interesting book. Had to read it for school. Very realistic and personal. Made me a little paranoid about being prepared for a total nuclear annihilation of the States, but apart from that a very good choice for a summer reading project.

The Lord of the Rings series

Eh. I saw the movies first. That ruined it.

Ilium and Olympos (Dan Simmons)

Sci-fi at its peak. Hopping between Ilium in 1000 BC to what's left of the solar system four or five millenia from now effortlessly, infusing a dozen stories together and still shocking you with the ending (which is, inevitably, going to make you smile due to a cheeky 20th-century reference), well, that's what Dan Simmons kicks [wagon] at.

The New New Journalism (I forgot who)

A bunch of interviews with journalists who really get into their subjects. One guy almost got killed during his reporting. Pretty cool.

Steal This Book (Abbie Hoffman)

Haha, I love reading 70's stuff. Really neat to look into the mind of one of the great activists. Plus, his "Yippie Survival Handbook" can teach one a thing or two.

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide (Douglas Adams)

All the Hitchhiker's Guide books. [bleep]ing love it. I understand so many references now that I used to use without even understanding them. Douglas Adams had such a great outlook on life. He recognized how depressed and whiny people are, but also how important staying happy and keepin' on truckin' are.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

The New New Journalism (I forgot who)

A bunch of interviews with journalists who really get into their subjects. One guy almost got killed during his reporting. Pretty cool.

You should look into the original New Journalism movement. Tom Wolfe - who was one of the more important figures of the movement and went on to write Bonfire of the Vanities - compiled a good book of articles, simply called The New Journalism. Hunter S. Thomson is in there, amongst a few other fairly well known journalists.

I like to read a variety of books. It just depends on if they're well written. Recently, for summer homework in AP English Language, I've had to read the investigative journalism book Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. It's a pretty interesting book even though it's not too recent and it shows fast food's grip on American society in more ways than just what we eat.

My dad really likes those books.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Yes, I read. I am currently reading 'The Day of the Triffids' by John Wyndham.

I love all of wyndhams stuff

Its just so epic, its rare to find other novels which deal with science fiction"what if" topics on such a global scale. I liked day of the triffids but i loved the chrysalids, web and the krakers.

I have thoroughly read herbert, asimov, card and frank but i would recommend wyndham above them all especially the chrysalids: timeless

NICKELEY102.png

Does anyone know some good editorials I can follow? I need to read and respond to editorials as summer homework for my language class next year. I need to read a minimum of 10 and respond to them with 1 handwritten page in a journal :P .....

Too much summer homework, I'd rather read what I want, :lol: .

I really liked that series, especially Foundation and Empire. You should try reading the rest of the trilogy before the others, though. ;) The story makes more sense that way, and the books by Asimov are by far the best IMO.

I read the series but i found the first three too dated and much preferred foundation and earth and the prequels.

On that note i preferred xenocide (the one with the ocd planet) of all the ender and shadow saga.

I still recommend wyndham over both asimov and card though

NICKELEY102.png

I just bought the Ender Quartet. Reading the second book. I do say, it takes a while to get interested in it, because many things are unexplained. But, I like it so far.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|

I just bought the Ender Quartet. Reading the second book. I do say, it takes a while to get interested in it, because many things are unexplained. But, I like it so far.

Have you read Enders Shadow, because it's the same time as Enders Game?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

I finished Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway yesterday. It's a fantastic piece of literature, and something I found myself identifying with very much. A lost generation filling the gaps left by the old systems of value and belief with alcohol and frivolity... Timeless really. On a darker note, I really enjoy Hemingway's misogyny. I don't know if that makes me old fashioned or doomed.

With Fiesta out of the way I started reading Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. Yes, I know it's cliche with the film coming out recently, but better to read it than not I say.

I'm finally almost done Grisham's The Associate. I started it 2 months ago, but couldn't find it for a long time. Now I am well past the halfway point, so I'll finish it this before I go to work on Tuesday. It's a very good book so far, though.

That's weird. I just did the same thing with a Grisham book. I bought King of Torts a long time ago and got halfway through and lost it. I just found it the other day, under my bed, so I am reading that now. It's kind of disappointing so far, though. I am finding it hard to like the main character as he is doing some sleazy lawyering for some even sleazier people, just to make a lot of money. I'm hoping it turns around soon.

"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

I'm finally almost done Grisham's The Associate. I started it 2 months ago, but couldn't find it for a long time. Now I am well past the halfway point, so I'll finish it this before I go to work on Tuesday. It's a very good book so far, though.

That's weird. I just did the same thing with a Grisham book. I bought King of Torts a long time ago and got halfway through and lost it. I just found it the other day, under my bed, so I am reading that now. It's kind of disappointing so far, though. I am finding it hard to like the main character as he is doing some sleazy lawyering for some even sleazier people, just to make a lot of money. I'm hoping it turns around soon.

Yeah, the guy in this one is having a rough time. I actually just finished it a couple of hours ago. I think I'm gonna re-read The Rainmaker next, then maybe The King of Torts.

I'm trying to read Ender's Shadow, but because I've already read through everything that happens in Ender's Game I'm really not interested. But I have to push along just because I am sure there will be quite a bit of extra story that I need to know to move onto Shadow of the Hedgemon.

Needed a book for the plane to Florida, and something to read in my free time there, so while shopping with my Mom at Sam's Club decided to pick up Public Enemies. Looks like a good historical book, it's told in more of a story format so you learn while reading an exciting story. It's not like the movie though, I guess the movie is kinda based on it. Looks good, talks about Dillinger and all the other gangsters, along with the birth of the FBI. Tell you in a couple weeks whether it's worth a read or not.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

I just read Animal Farm, which was annotated by my dad in the 1960s. I'm fairly certain he was a communist :lol:

Now i'm trying to find other Orson books in his library.

1. Its Orwell(no biggie)

2. Why do you think your dad is a communist from his annotations?

3. 1984 is a very good book; in a way its plot is shallow, but its so powerful and haunting that its still an amazing piece of work.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I have not. Depending on my liking of the rest of the three books, I may decide to buy that as well, and more of Card's books.

naturenf7.jpg

|Signature by Jason321|