Reading

AndyPandy

This is a Runescape Forum, most people here read, avidly. I hate Reading. I used to love to read, now I can't stand it. Unless it's a good book, like A Long Hard Road Out Of Hell. I do want to read Brave New World though.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a Runescape Forum, most people here read, avidly. I hate Reading. I used to love to read, now I can't stand it. Unless it's a good book, like A Long Hard Road Out Of Hell. I do want to read Brave New World though.

I'm reading it right now. It's fantastic. It really makes you think about things. :thumbup:

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I just hope it doesn't dissapoint. 1984 sounded like a great book, as did Farewell to Arms, but when I read them, they were pretty forgettable, I guess you could say.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Clarification ahead: What did you think of it? :P

It was good as a piece of literature , but as something that appealed to the mind - well, think of it like this.

[There are 3 parts in the book by the way]

You build a gigantic tower using all this effort and many resources only to knock it down so you could test the strength of the material.

[best analogy I could come up with, I'm sorry]

Part 3 wont make sense without 1 and 2.

Part 3 is the "book". Part 1 and 2 [which is good writing by the way] is what Martel had to throw in to make the book complete.

So you have to piece all the parts together. It's as if Martel has spent all this time and backstory building and building just to come to some "spectacular finish" - which cheapens the book.

It's a good story but dont think too much when you read it. Just go with the flow.

I just hope it doesn't dissapoint. 1984 sounded like a great book, as did Farewell to Arms, but when I read them, they were pretty forgettable, I guess you could say.

You really didn't enjoy A Farewell to Arms? Hemingway writes so beautifully. He's not a story teller in the same way the Russians are, but he is a fantastic writer.

Rangeor - You can't go wrong with Capote.

La lune ne garde aucune rancune.

Oh, alright. I realized that Rocket Boys is the same as the movie October Sky, which I saw a year ago. So I'm going to read that book instead!

The Things They Carried is a collection of war short stories, including one of the same title which I read a few years ago. You might want to look into that.

p2gq.jpg

100 more pages to go in Battle Royale and then I guess I'll read Public Enemies. I'm still trying to look for some obscure spy novels. I really like spy fiction, they usually have tons of action and I'm an action junky.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

Eoin Colfer's written a fifth (? you never can be sure with Adams) book in the hitchhiker trilogy, with Adams' widow fully supporting the book. It's called And Another Thing and it comes out in September. I'm really looking forward to reading it as Colfer is one of my favorite authors and I think he'll do a great job.

Also if you're a fan of Colfer, The Wish List and The Supernaturalists are pretty awesome but lesser known books of his. I loved the Artemis Fowl series, the last book (red one, I think The Lost Colony) was my favorite due to the involvement of warlocks.

Also I have read P.C./Kristen Cast's The House of Night novels and I must say they're really good on plot but there's an excessive amount of teenagerness in the books which bothers me some (excessive swearing, romance crap, etc.) Haven't gotten to Hunted yet though.

Cassandra Clare has a couple of books that are pretty awesome (considering the first has quotes from Meyer, Holly Black, Tamora Pierce, and a few more well known female authors). They involve demons, vampires, werewolves, warlocks, and demonhunters plus some random romance nuances (but they're good because they involve PLOT!). Definitely something up Ratchet's alley, you might want to take a look. The first is City of Ashes, and the second is City of Glass. They're a good length too.

I just read the 5th book in Ranger's Apprentice (The Sorcerer of the North), it was epic.

Female authors of epicness:

Tamora Pierce (Trickster's Choice/Trickster's Queen, Lioness Quartet, Protector of the Small Quartet)

Kristin Cashore (Graceling)

Cassandra Clare (City of Ashes, City of Glass)

Holly Black (Spiderwick Chronicles with Tony DiTerlizzi)

J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter)

Stephanie Meyer (even if you hate Twilight, read The Host, it's good and sci-fi-y)

Thought provoking books:

The Book of Five Rings - Myamoto Musashi

The Hero with a Thousand Faces - Joseph Campbell

Eoin Colfer's written a fifth (? you never can be sure with Adams) book in the hitchhiker trilogy, with Adams' widow fully supporting the book. It's called And Another Thing and it comes out in September. I'm really looking forward to reading it as Colfer is one of my favorite authors and I think he'll do a great job.

That would be the 6th written. Mostly Harmless was the fifth.

I'm not to sure about this book. I love The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but it was Adams that made it so great. I enjoy Eoin Colfer's books, especially Artemis Fowl, but I'm not sure that he could capture the style that Adams had. We'll have to see though. It could turn out great, but until I read it I will remain doubtful.

Plus Adams didn't leave much room for a sequel, so it will be interesting to see how Colfer makes a story from what was left.

I'm not to sure about this book. I love The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, but it was Adams that made it so great. I enjoy Eoin Colfer's books, especially Artemis Fowl, but I'm not sure that he could capture the style that Adams had. We'll have to see though. It could turn out great, but until I read it I will remain doubtful.

Plus Adams didn't leave much room for a sequel, so it will be interesting to see how Colfer makes a story from what was left.

Was there ANY room?

[hide=]Didn't the world blow up?[/hide]

Was there ANY room?

[hide=]Well, there was a long Vogon ship left over with 1 Vogon on board. The Guide version 2 even crumpled out of existance, so there wasn't much room at all.[/hide]

Was there ANY room?

[hide=]Well, there was a long Vogon ship left over with 1 Vogon on board. The Guide version 2 even crumpled out of existance, so there wasn't much room at all.[/hide]

Yeah, so pretty much it would need another improbable twist, typical of the series. Yet, I love it.

Can anyone recommend any Dan Brown books?

Theres an offer on his books, buy one get one half price, I was tempted to buy The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.

Dan Brown is a hack.

But an entertaining one.

Currently reading the Big Sleep - Raymond Chandler.

Theres an offer on his books, buy one get one half price, I was tempted to buy The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons.

Dan Brown is a hack.

But an entertaining one.

So is that a go ahead and read it because it's good, or don't buy it because it's poo?

Or a bit of both? XD

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

Dan Brown is a hack.

But an entertaining one.

So is that a go ahead and read it because it's good, or don't buy it because it's poo?

Or a bit of both? XD

I've read them both. And thoroughly enjoyed them.

However beware - once you get hooked, it's hard to ween the addiction.

So I'd say yes.

I've read them both. And thoroughly enjoyed them.

However beware - once you get hooked, it's hard to ween the addiction.

So I'd say yes.

Should I start with Angels and Demons or Da vinci code?

Currently reading through Dark Calling by Darren Shan. Can't wait for the series finale in october \o/

starscapeyp6.jpg

Deviant Art Account

2 Signatures | 6 Photographs | 1 Other

I'm currently reading my dad's old version of The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. Even though I fully understand evolution, I still think I can get some enlightening information from this book.

^Jul26, and I'm only halfway through (page 224 of 425). It stopped being enlightening around page 120, but it's not that bad of a read and I'm pretty determined in finishing it.

Today I read Tuesdays with Morrie in 2 hours (on my long break), it's a meh book.

hiccup.png

Almost done with the Complete Hitchhiker's Guide. Just have to finish Mostly Harmless, which sticks to the general rule - contradict everything, confuse the [bleep] out of the reader, laugh.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Angels and Demons in the sequel, so start with Da Vinci's Code.

There's really no connection between them. Just a spin put on the back cover so that the publishers could get more money.

Read whatever you want first.

I just finished "Old City Hall" by Robert Rotenberg. It's a legal thriller (as stated to the back cover). Overall I liked it, but it seems like the author is going to be turning it into a series, which I did not like. I felt the plot was more of a one-book type.

I've started reading "The Secret Life of Bees" and it's good but not great. It's just another book that's been over hyped (like the Twilight saga).

Arguing with a fool proves there are two.

Angels and Demons in the sequel, so start with Da Vinci's Code.

I'm currently reading my dad's old version of The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. Even though I fully understand evolution, I still think I can get some enlightening information from this book.

LIES! Angels and Demons is the first, followed by the Da Vinci Code and then whatever his new one is. I don't particularly like his books.

Right now I am reading The Age of Ra by James Lovegrove. A very entertaining story.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Recently I've read:

Typee (pronounced tie-pee) by Herman Melville. After reading Moby [bleep] for my school, I grew to like Melville's writing style. Although I don't think this book totally captured his genius. Also, don't read this book if you want to read a book packed with plot: similarly to Moby [bleep], this book is around 30% plot.

The Virtues of War by Steven Pressfield. I hated this book, but for some reason persisted in hopes of it getting better. It bastardized the glorious and debaucherous life of Alexander the Great by making him narrate this historically inaccurate, romanticized, bombastic piece of crap in the most uninteresting way possible. This book was like a textual version of 300, except with even more repetitive, cliched battle scenes and "pseudo-epicness".

Just got Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad. Hopefully I'll have time to read it in between my busy schedule.

ALSO

I feel like reading some really morbid/depressing/disturbing/sad books, so give me some suggestions if you know of any. No Holocaust books please, sick of those.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]