Reading

AndyPandy

I've read both of them. Moby [bleep] is good, I really enjoy it, the prose is much simpler than you'd expect for the time period.

I absolutely hated For Whom the Bell Tolls, though. I was curious last year (or in eighth grade, although if that's it I bet that's the reason I didn't like it), and read it. It took foooooooooooreeeeevvvveerrrrr. A Tale of Two Cities went faster than that book. It seems like hundreds of variations of the paragraph: "This guy wanted to blow up a bridge. He was walking towards the bridge. He still wants to." And then, in about eight pages, you get: "ACTION MICHAEL BAY EXPLOSIONS DEAAAATHHHHH".

Maybe I should reread it, having old opinions on books can't be healthy.

Am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that Moby [bleep] gets bleeped out?

mbqyk3.gif

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read both of them. Moby [bleep] is good, I really enjoy it, the prose is much simpler than you'd expect for the time period.

I absolutely hated For Whom the Bell Tolls, though. I was curious last year (or in eighth grade, although if that's it I bet that's the reason I didn't like it), and read it. It took foooooooooooreeeeevvvveerrrrr. A Tale of Two Cities went faster than that book. It seems like hundreds of variations of the paragraph: "This guy wanted to blow up a bridge. He was walking towards the bridge. He still wants to." And then, in about eight pages, you get: "ACTION MICHAEL BAY EXPLOSIONS DEAAAATHHHHH".

Maybe I should reread it, having old opinions on books can't be healthy.

Am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that Moby [bleep] gets bleeped out?

Nope. Haha, Moby [bleep], [bleep]'s sporting goods,[bleep] Cheney

99 Hunter - November 1st, 2008

99 Cooking -July 22nd, 2009

99 Firemaking - July 29th, 2010

99 Fletching - December 30th, 2010

I'm into longer books with a good storyline. For example, I've read the Harry Potter series and have re-read them quite a few times. Most other readings are school-assigned. I just don't have the chance to look for another book to read.

j0xPu5R.png

I'm going to get brave new world from the library soon. It seems like it would be an interesting read, I started re-reading 1984, a lot of things make much more sense now, and it's not nearly as hard to read as I used to find it.

I find most classics absolutely boring, except for Call of the Wild and My Side of the Mountain (Or the far side, whichever was first). Other then that I drown myself in fantasy. Read Eragon seven times, I've read Eldest four or five times and Brisingr twice, I consider it my favorite series. Read all HP books (book 7 in one day). If that book is ever called unpopular, I'd laugh, JK Rowling's money says hi. Artimus Fowl messes up my mind whenever I read it almost as bad as HP (in a good way). My mind talks in riddle and weirdly phrased sentences when I read them too much. And apart from those those series, the books I've read that I loved have been Magyk, Inkheart, Hitchhiker's Guide (only read So Long and Thanks For All The Fish :( ), Ranger's Apprentice, and the Bartimaeus trilogy.

I'm going to get brave new world from the library soon. It seems like it would be an interesting read, I started re-reading 1984, a lot of things make much more sense now, and it's not nearly as hard to read as I used to find it.

Yes, it's good. Brave New World :thumbup:

I was just given the complete works of Brian Keene. It's going to be a good week :thumbup:

I've also been reading Laurell K Hamilton (net is capped) lately. While not my cup of tea, they are very well written.

SoLawny.png

My friend just let me borrow the book "On the Road" by Jack Kerouac from him. So after I finish "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" I'll be reading this.

dcfclogo4.jpg

[Admin Edit: Attempting to publicly humiliate a user in your signature is inappropriate]

Quit Runescape... Dec 2001 - Jan 2008 on and off... mostly off.

I'm taking a break from The Origin of Species to read 1984 since everyone here liked it so much that they wanna marry Orwell :lol:

I love having a well read dad. I never have to buy books - I just go hunting for one in my basement for a few hours. And even though I'm only looking for one, I always come back up with 5 or more.

hiccup.png

I'm taking a break from The Origin of Species to read 1984 since everyone here liked it so much that they wanna marry Orwell :lol:

I love having a well read dad. I never have to buy books - I just go hunting for one in my basement for a few hours. And even though I'm only looking for one, I always come back up with 5 or more.

My dad has piles and piles of westerns and sci-fi books. And just plain wierd ones. I like looking through them, although a lot of them wouldn't interest me personally. I enjoy reading books on music, film, and the like nowadays. Although a good Dan Simmons can never hurt.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

At the beginning of this past summer I went shopping for some books to read. I got Animal Farm, 1984, and Brave New World. My dad came home that day, looked at the new pile of books I had on my desk, and said "Oh, I love these books. I have them. Somewhere."

Though I didn't end up reading them over the summer. I read The Lord of the Rings. (hehehehehe) Though I finished Animal Farm last night. (I'll go with 1984 next)

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Speaking of the Alchemist, I have to read it in Español for school.

Anyways, I want to read for leisure, but I've been so busy. I hate having a book just sit on my desk bookmarked at the same place for days at a time. -.-

Thanks for the suggestions Lateralus, I will definitely eventually check those out.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

I'm reading the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R.R. Martin, I love reading, I read in the evening and I read maybe 500+ words per minute(I'm a really fast reader).

Nice. Those are really good.

I read this book called The Knife of Never Letting Go and holy cow man, it was amazing. I just picked up the sequel, The Ask and the Answer, about to go read it now.

neraftdfw1.jpg

Sig credit goes to ThruItAll. :D

simpleholyhandgrenade.gif

I'm reading the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series by George R.R. Martin, I love reading, I read in the evening and I read maybe 500+ words per minute(I'm a really fast reader).

Nice. Those are really good.

YOU BET YOUR [wagon] THEY ARE.

It's Ice and Fire, by the way, not Fire and Ice. Common mistake from what I've seen.

Ahem. Sorry. I'm just overjoyed to know some people around here read quality fantasy. The constant mention of Eragon and The Belgariad makes me depressed.

Currently reading The Great Gatsby. I love AP Lit.

p2gq.jpg

It's Ice and Fire, by the way, not Fire and Ice. Common mistake from what I've seen.

Fire and Ice just flows better.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Fire and Ice just flows better.

Nah, Ice and Fire is much, much better. Ice is sort of weak-sounding in a dramatic context. A Song of Fire and ICE just doesn't have the oomph of A Song of Ice and FIRE.

p2gq.jpg

I read it this summer. It was quite interesting. I liked 1984 better though.

Why does this thread always go back to those two books?

I haven't had a good book to read in a while. I need to get started on a series so it will keep my attention. I think I'll look into Pendragon.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

Nononono, start the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons (4 books, about 400 pages each) or the Ilium/Olympos canon by him (like 1700 pages together).

Far-future science fiction. Very good. Don't be put off by how confused you are at the beginning. Dan Simmons' books take multiple readings to understand.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Nononono, start the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons (4 books, about 400 pages each) or the Ilium/Olympos canon by him (like 1700 pages together).

Far-future science fiction. Very good. Don't be put off by how confused you are at the beginning. Dan Simmons' books take multiple readings to understand.

I'll look into it then. Science-Fiction is my favorite genre so that will work well.

Forum Updates & Suggestions <------ Let your voice be heard!
Forum Games <------- Coolest place on Tip.It
Tip.It Forum Rules <------- Read them!

I read it this summer. It was quite interesting. I liked 1984 better though.

Why does this thread always go back to those two books?

I disliked Nineteen Eighty-Four. Although I really enjoy Orwell's other classics [Animal Farm being my favourite] something about 1984 was just off.

I prefer writing style over content.