Tip.It Times: 10 May 2009

n_odie

Very nice, enjoyable as usual :thumbsup:

I think balance is already achieved. Skills get updates, and then combat gets updates.

Id argue that you should not blame the games creators for the bulk of the changes that have morphed Runescape into what it is, as well as what it will be.

Some things have morphed RS into good things. Some bad things. Intersting read, i don't entirely agree though.

johannase.jpg

Thank you to tripsis for an awesome sig!

RE: RS Imbalance

I'm willing to blame both parties for this. Blame the players for demanding an all-but combat centered kind of gameplay (emergent gameplay such as Combat pures are a testament to this), but blame Jagex as well for fostering this kind of atmosphere. There were dozens upon dozens of missed opportunities to give the skillers as fair a chance to make cash in the game, such as allowing them to craft various desirable Treasure Trail armors. This never happened (and probably never will), so combat will always remain the best way to make cash in the game, full stop.

With every new weapon being introduced in the game, the benefit of laboring to any high level in Smithing, Crafting or Fletching is all but moot. Not to mention Stealing Creation, the most rewarding skiller minigame, is nearly alone in its field (with Shades of Mort'ton and Great Orb Project not even coming close to its kind of reward system). When will it be that skillers get rewarded just as much (if not more) than warriors...?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Well, it could be because skilling has almost no inherent risk to it other than falling behind the rise of inflation.

But if you know what you're doing, there isn't that much risk in combat either.

I think it's players really, while more mature players may be able to see the benefits of skilling, the cliche teenage boy player who just wants to kill things and can complain REALLY loudly about things has warped Runescape because if they can't please these people their mummies might stop paying their game. Jagex is just being forced into a corner. I swear if there was a big update for Skillers tomorrow, even these forums (though mainly the RSOF) would be heaving with 'OMFG IT'S NOT FAIR WHY DO THEY GET UPDATES?!?!@@@@!?!'

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Well, it could be because skilling has almost no inherent risk to it other than falling behind the rise of inflation.

There's a much bigger POTENTIAL for risk, I think he's saying.

If you lag and d/c at Light Temple rune rocks, no one cares since you probably don't end up dead.

If you lag and d/c at Sara GWD you're a goner.

If you lag and d/c at Light Temple rune rocks, no one cares since you probably don't end up dead.

Woodcutting with Ents used to be dangerous :wall: But I see what you mean there.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

OT question: do you miss the retired randoms now that they're gone?

No way! I can Woodcut in peace now without having to be staring at the screen waiting for an Ent :wall: :wall: :wall:

lol just had the security guard come up to where i was mining and stood around so i clicked on him he said he was giving away free books what a hoot :roll:

I enjoyed both articles.(Nonfiction)

I think that skillers hsould get some updates but cb is and always will be the favorite pastime/money maker in runescape

Why should it be though? Why can't skilling be the more profitable way for an account?

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

If you lag and disconnect at the Light Temple Rune Rocks at the wrong time, you're in the same boat as the guy that lagged at Sara, although with much less of a blow (probably won't lose between 1 and 10M worth of gear).

... Jagex is just being forced into a corner. I swear if there was a big update for Skillers tomorrow, even these forums (though mainly the RSOF) would be heaving with 'OMFG IT'S NOT FAIR WHY DO THEY GET UPDATES?!?!@@@@!?!'

So how do they get out of this corner? That, my friends, is the hypothetical question of the year. Hopefully it gets answered soon, too - skillers should rise again, hopefully.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

If you lag and disconnect at the Light Temple Rune Rocks at the wrong time, you're in the same boat as the guy that lagged at Sara, although with much less of a blow (probably won't lose between 1 and 10M worth of gear).

Personally, it's happened to me loads of times and I've never gotten under half health. All that happens is a few prayer points gone and maybe a few hitpoints. Nothing too serious anyway, and you can get back there in under 4 minutes, provided you have a backup set of Mourner Robes.

There's a simple answer to the "Imbalance" article: Jagex removed free trade before creating content to make up for it.

All of these combat updates can be seen as a way of introducing new gameplay that is supposed to replace what was lost exactly 17 months ago. Many of Mod MMG's/Andrew's answers pointed to a shift in focus now that Bounty Worlds have been released.

That being said the lack of updates in general as well as the poor quality and testing of the updates that do come out has worried a lot of people. Hopefully something big is planned.

2496 Completionist

I enjoyed both articles.(Nonfiction)

I think that skillers hsould get some updates but cb is and always will be the favorite pastime/money maker in runescape

Why should it be though? Why can't skilling be the more profitable way for an account?

It doesnt have to e but i just know that it is and that will take alot to cahnge. If skilling will be the most profitable way alot needs to change.

blue_pika515.png

74.png

I liked both articles.

In the first one, I think its all about finding the balance, but the line between a good update and "0mfg fail updat3" is very thin.

On a lighter note, being a Scandinavian, I've always felt "at home" in the Fremennik Region ::'

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

In the first article, the writer seems to have forgotten, that all skills rotate around combat in the first place.

You mine so you can smith armor. You fish so you can cook food. You Make runes so you can do magic. You cut wood so you can fletch arrows to train ranged.

Etc etc etc.

I see no imbalance.

It also states that RS differentiates itself, by having the most broad variety of skills & activites than other mmorpgs. Even so, the skills revolve around combat skills.

Also, in my eyes skillers are just stumped players. A nonskiller can be everything a skiller can be at most, and than become even more.

About article #2... Well we've had a windmill in the game for a long long time :lol:

All in all some good articles which raise good questions though, :thumbup: :D

I'm afraid that windmills, while typically Dutch, had a plethora of different purposes in Holland other then just grinding flower :)

Look it up :P

I have proposed a new type of food, that would promote the usage of windmills in RuneScape a little bit better...

Also, expect a new Did You Know coming out soont hat will promnote Windmills, at least for the F2P player :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

The story is great, a lil intrugied now :thumbsup:

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

TL;DR

ruins.png De_Elite_One.png

Inefficiency = fun. That's objective and can't be debated. Ever.

Blog to 200m in all skills.

Max cape achieved November 5th, 2011.

Completionist cape achieved December 29th, 2011.

Final Boss title achieved December 28th, 2014.

Trimmed completionist cape achieved November 7th, 2015.