Should the playing time be limited when playin RuneScape?

Gamerr

I don't feel that time should be limited for any one person, but if it gets in the way of their life (relationships, school, hygiene, work, and/or other responsibilities), then it's time for them to get cut. I really don't think that Jagex should really hold anyone's hand in this regard, since it's neither their fault nor responsibility that a person decided to spend 21 hours on their game.

Using the "I paid for it" argument seems fallacious...consider that drug addicts pay for their drugs, does that mean they have a right to use it? Or should they not seek help?

I think I opt for the first option. Why?

1) I think anybody here agrees that 8 hours or more a day on a daily basis is BAD. You are addicted, and you're playing much more than what's good for you. You can't fulfill your job decently, or can't go to school decently at that rate.

So we can all decide that we should encourage those people to play less, right?

We've got one group of people who say it's the parents job to tell their kids to play less, or the wife to tell the husband, or whatever. This is all nice and fine, but sometimes telling them is not enough. The only way you can ensure that it doesn't happen is by makign the game don't work.

I don't feel that Jagex should have to tell us when to stop playing, but I do think that parents keep forgetting that they can cut the power to the house. That usually turns off the computer (failing that, at least the modem dies).

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the "I paid for it" argument seems fallacious...consider that drug addicts pay for their drugs, does that mean they have a right to use it? Or should they not seek help?

Drugs are illegal. So the "I paid for it" I would think works here. Since RuneScape is legal. And by all means, if somebody wants to pay to waste their life away, let them. I won't be a :wall: in their way.

I think that it is the responsibility of:

A) the parents of the player, or

B) the player themselves.

Not Jagex.

Exactly. Parents are becoming more like distant relatives like uncles or aunts that the child rarely sees. The parents, after conception, birth, and getting the baby going (so its old enough to be distracted, and feed itself to some extent), have become tvs, video game systems, and computers.

The parents need to control their children. Even if that means adding a timer in game that parents can access with a password to lock their childs account after so many hours, or so they can only log in at certain times of the day. Neither I feel are necessary, but some kids avoid their parents, even if they are trying to be involved and keep them off their electronic families.

Parents need to do their jobs so Jagex can focus on improving the game, not choking it out.

35b9enp.jpg

Let's start with cigarettes, then Runescape.

Exactly, cigarettes, alcohol, coke, meth, crack, heroin. The list of things more important than game "addiction" goes on and on.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Exactly, cigarettes, alcohol, coke, meth, crack, heroin. The list of things more important than game "addiction" goes on and on.

Well... those things are more addicting because they're legitimately fun while you're on them.

O_M_G_Guasto.png

Well... those things are more addicting because they're legitimately fun while you're on them.

And runescape isn't?

(You should probably stop playing rs if you answer yes to that question).

besides cigarettes is much worse than most other things: it not only destroys the users body, but anyone near them!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Yes, people who play runescape excessively obviously have no self control, so they need some third party to regulate their play time.

Anyone against this obviously plays more than 10 hours a day, thus they are one of those people addicted. ::'

I pay for this game. Having my access restricted is not what I pay for. People need to take their own responsibility. Jagex does not need to parent their players.

Coming from a person with maxed stats seems like you need to take some responsibility

not everyone with high stats plays all day every day. if you play efeciently you can get high stats pretty easily
I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

Not to say above substances are not harmful, but you'd be amazed how many health problems and ruined lives gaming causes. I can't be bothered digging up numbers, but I researched the topic about a month ago from boredom and it turned out to be pretty interesting. Some guy in China played for about ~8 days straight and just dropped dead at the computer because he couldn't be bothered to eat/drink thanks to a WOW tournament, I'd say that's a pretty good wake up call to people to show how potent computer addiction can be.

Although, there is no reason why people can't start with both games and substances. Both deserve attention, and computer addiction is certainly much easier to cure from the addict's point of view. I think something should be implemented, but not 8hrs/day. There has to be breathing room in the game or you will just feel restricted. 10hr/day and 8hr/day average would be pretty good if you ask me. Since there are days where we all just having nothing whatsoever to do, reaching 8 hours doesn't really mean it's an addiction.

I may have misinterpreted the website, but from what I read apparently some parts in China have cracked down on computer usage and will stop anyone from accessing their internet for exessive amounts of time :shock:

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

Not to say above substances are not harmful, but you'd be amazed how many health problems and ruined lives gaming causes. I can't be bothered digging up numbers, but I researched the topic about a month ago from boredom and it turned out to be pretty interesting. Some guy in China played for about ~8 days straight and just dropped dead at the computer because he couldn't be bothered to eat/drink thanks to a WOW tournament, I'd say that's a pretty good wake up call to people to show how potent computer addiction can be.

Although, there is no reason why people can't start with both games and substances. Both deserve attention, and computer addiction is certainly much easier to cure from the addict's point of view. I think something should be implemented, but not 8hrs/day. There has to be breathing room in the game or you will just feel restricted. 10hr/day and 8hr/day average would be pretty good if you ask me. Since there are days where we all just having nothing whatsoever to do, reaching 8 hours doesn't really mean it's an addiction.

I may have misinterpreted the website, but from what I read apparently some parts in China have cracked down on computer usage and will stop anyone from accessing their internet for exessive amounts of time :shock:

Chinese...

Stereotype is correct.

Besides 1 moron dying because he was too [developmentally delayed]ed to get up and get some food isn't enough to implement limited playing time.

Yes, people who play runescape excessively obviously have no self control, so they need some third party to regulate their play time.

Anyone against this obviously plays more than 10 hours a day, thus they are one of those people addicted. ::'

I pay for this game. Having my access restricted is not what I pay for. People need to take their own responsibility. Jagex does not need to parent their players.

Coming from a person with maxed stats seems like you need to take some responsibility

not everyone with high stats plays all day every day. if you play efeciently you can get high stats pretty easily

I don't care how efficient you are, if you have really high levels, you play alot. I started playing this game in 2001 and I only have 1 level 99. Someone who only plays for a year or 2 and has almost all 99's plays a lot. Certain skills like agility and slayer, to name a few, take a long time to level up. Even other skills take a while.

smallsigr.jpg

I don't care how efficient you are, if you have really high levels, you play alot. I started playing this game in 2001 and I only have 1 level 99. Someone who only plays for a year or 2 and has almost all 99's plays a lot. Certain skills like agility and slayer, to name a few, take a long time to level up. Even other skills take a while.

I love how nearly everyone who brings up when they started playing started in 2001. And the funny thing is, they always have pathetic skills and their excuses? "I took breaks a lot" "I was hacked" "I was banned" "I'm not a nerd and plays a lot" etc.

I love how nearly everyone who brings up when they started playing started in 2001. And the funny thing is, they always have pathetic skills and their excuses? "I took breaks a lot" "I was hacked" "I was banned" "I'm not a nerd and plays a lot" etc.

I really did start in 01, late january of 01 actually. My first character was Vrookman. I got it to somewhere in the level 40 range, then got hacked and couldn't get my password back, so I played off and on on several characters until about a year and a half ago when I started back again.(also when i first got members) My total level is like 1646 now, which isn't amazing, but I consider it pretty respectable.

Anyway the story about the guy keeling over dead is [cabbage] anyway. You can only survive for about 3 days without water. So if he didn't drink anything for 8 days he would already have been dead. Even if it did happen, it's from idiocy, not addiction.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

Maybe because they did start playing in 2001 when many people were learning about RS. Why would you need an excuse for bad skills, you need an excuse for good skills because that means you may need to tone it down a bit.

smallsigr.jpg

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Any skill in this game, trained intelligently (read: efficiently), can go from 1 to 99 in a few months on no more than 2-3 hours a day. Maxed stats and 99 slayer which you mentioned can be achieved casually with relative ease if you have the patience.

The amount of time someone chooses to play video games is entirely their own concern. China-style regulations are not the answer.

satan_panda.png

Anyway the story about the guy keeling over dead is [cabbage] anyway. You can only survive for about 3 days without water. So if he didn't drink anything for 8 days he would already have been dead. Even if it did happen, it's from idiocy, not addiction.

You don't believe that an addiction can confuse a person's eating habits? You really don't think that an addiction to a game can make a person think that they're not hungry or thirsty when, in fact, they really are? Believe me, it can happen, and it's a decent warning sign when dealing with an addict.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

You don't believe that an addiction can confuse a person's eating habits? You really don't think that an addiction to a game can make a person think that they're not hungry or thirsty when, in fact, they really are? Believe me, it can happen, and it's a decent warning sign when dealing with an addict.

I've skipped meals and whatnot while playing games before. To not drink anything though? Just seems ridiculous to me. Anyway It doesn't change the fact that You couldn't sit at your computer until you literally keeled over dead. You would start to feel the symptoms of dehydration long before that, the person would get headaches, start getting nauseous, lightheaded, and disoriented. You wouldn't be able to continue playing through that.

[hide]

[/hide]

It should be the responsibility of the player, not the company. We don't need to be babysat. If someone makes the ridiculous choice to play 24 hours a day, it's on them. And how do you know they aren't just gonna turn their X-box on once they get kicked off RS? There's only so little you can do to control a person's choices. I hate rules and laws like this.

Fine, "they play too much". But you ramble about nonsense too much. Perhaps we need a restriction for that too.

I agree with most people here, I think it's the player's responsibility.

Plus some people will want different restrictions, some will recommend 5hrs whereas others will say 10hrs.

And if it's per account people will just make new ones so they can alternate; if it's per computer then people who share their computer with others will lose out; and it's the same problem with per modem.

And as someone said before, there's no restrictions on Xbox, PlayStation, Wii or DS so why should there be one online?

Iron_0utkast.png

Maxed 15/06/13

No, it's you're own responsibility.

but I do think jagex can warn players that if you play too long in a row you can get seriously health problems.

however, one thing another mmo called guild wars does is puts a message in the chatbox every hour to let you know how long you've been playing. after 10 hours (I think) the message expands to suggest you take a break, but nothing is forced.

I personaly think that a thing like this would work for a lot of people!

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

however, one thing another mmo called guild wars does is puts a message in the chatbox every hour to let you know how long you've been playing. after 10 hours (I think) the message expands to suggest you take a break, but nothing is forced.

I would like this, although I wouldn't be worried about playing for several hours since I never have that kind of time. I would just like to see how much I play on those days I am not working.

Would be nice, but i'd be bored for the rest of the day :cry:

Anyways, it would benefit Jagex by stopping a lot of macros/bots in Runescape.

There are three sides to any argument: your side, my side and the right side.

RS BILLYMAYS.png

Would be nice, but i'd be bored for the rest of the day :cry:

Anyways, it would benefit Jagex by stopping a lot of macros/bots in Runescape.

Wouldn't stop them from doing it completely. It may limit time per account, but several different accounts could solve this problem.

Fine, "they play too much". But you ramble about nonsense too much. Perhaps we need a restriction for that too.

HA! :lol:

Agreed. In my not so professional opinion, the body would do everything in it's power to get someone to eat and/or drink. Possibly a stomach rumbling or dry mouth, maybe a punch to the face. If only a game 'addiction' were like some others, this wouldn't be a problem, if it is a problem to begin with.

Besides 1 moron dying because he was too [developmentally delayed] to get up and get some food isn't enough to implement limited playing time.

Agreed. Is it even enough to constitute a problem? Are there any legitimate statistics as to how many people are 'addicted' to gaming? And I mean hard core, scientific, real not fake, stuff.

I personally don't see the need for any concrete limits - it's up to the person themselves to decide when to get off. For those of you who don't know how restricting this can be, copy-and-paste the following code into Command Prompt (Windows Key + R or Start --> Run):

shutdown[Caution: Executable File] -s -t 28800 -c "We don't want you on your computer for too long, now do we? :P"

If you actually did that, well, picture a timer like that coming up when you log in RS. Even if 8 hours is a lot of time, it would be as annoying as hell to worry about how long you've got left <_<

I'm against limiting play time. Now prove I play more than 10 hours a day. My highest stat is cooking, at level 40. And it's higher than my level 32 combat, too. Clearly I waste my life away playing RS over 10 hours a day :roll:. You don't have to be directly affected by something to be compelled to speak against it, and most people against this aren't playing 8+ hours a day either way.

I pay for this game, so if I want to play nonstop for 4 days straight, that's my right as a consumer. Besides I don't believe in "gaming addiction"

You don't believe in gaming addiction? I beg your pardon? So people who have to play RuneScape every day, become aggressive when they can't play it and do it more then 8 hours a day aren't addicted? (there were examples of people like that in the article)

That gaming addiction excists isn't even a point of discussion, it's a fact.

Pfft. No.

An addiction is a physical dependence. A game can never alter your body chemistry so that it feels it can't live without it. You can't go through withdrawals from not playing a game. It's all [cabbage].

You see back in the day people had a name for kids like that. It was spoiled little brats. Do you know how they solved it? They made their [wagon] look like someone had set them on fire.

It's not an addiction, it's a complete lack of discipline from parents.

You are talking about a physical addiction. Just because games are not physically addictive does not mean that they are not addicting. There can also be psychological addictions.

Again, no. with a psychological addiction you would begin to manifest physical withdrawal symptoms. Seriously, it's all just kids being [bleep]s because their parents won't let them do what they want. Everything bad in a person's personality is made out to be a disease these days. People should just learn to accept that everything in life is not rosy and that both kids, and adults will act like total [bleep]s if they don't get their way.

If you gain joy from something, or generally any emotion, it's the result of a change in the neurotransmitters in your brain. That's a chemical change, thus it is physical. In this manner, an emotional addiction can occur to generally anything, even in the same manner it does for addictive drugs :o. And there is a "withdrawal effect", too. I've known several people, myself included, who were significantly effected from avoiding the internet. I stayed off of the internet for over a year, not logging into any forums or playing MMO's, and even rarely going on Wikipedia. For this year, my grades significantly dropped, I was actually getting less sleep than before, I started falling asleep in class, I became more irritable, nearly got into a fight, etc... All this while eschewing the internet and the forums I had been very active on previously. And I've been on an actual withdrawal effect from real medications as well, so I know what it's like. My withdrawal from the internet was very much the same, regardless of the fact that going on the internet's not putting actual chemicals into my blood :o. In reality, it's all in the brain, and that's how addictions operate. The stimulus does not need to be a physical drug to create an addiction, the only requirement is that it elicits a chemical change in the brain, and games have been scientifically proven to be capable of doing this.

Uhm those problems of such "addictions" are really over exaggerated these days.. It seems like everybody needs to have kind of disease/problem nowadays.

exactly.

Teachers at my elementary school tried to get my mom to put me on Ritalin when i was like 8 because they claimed I had A.D.D.

I most assuredly do not have A.D.D. and my mom told them where they could shove their ritalin.

The same happened to me, although my school's policy was different in that manner. My mother was forced to put me on Ritalin, under the threat of them sending me into Special Education. Yeah, straight A's, mostly hundreds, and many, many Student of the Month awards, and they're still entitled to say I'm a sped who can't focus for [cabbage] :x. And it was only one teacher who had a problem with me, too :o. So my mom did it, and noticed me doing progressively worse, both educationally and socially :?. The doctor decided that constantly increasing dosages and changing brands would be a good idea <_<. There have been known cases of prescribed overdoses on ADD med's, but that didn't stop him. Then the doctor decided that I'm also apparently depressed, so he put me on anti-depressants -.-. Have you ever heard of an 8-year old threatening to hang himself before? :shock:

And I'm completely against suicide in any way whatsoever. Nowadays, I'd rather live to the very cold, hard end, regardless of how it may come, rather than committing suicide. Is it a coincidence that the only time in my life that I'd ever consider suicide was just a few days after I was put on anti-depressants? -.-

Or the fact that, recently, ironically during my "withdrawal" from the internet, I was prescribed with anti-depressants again, and barely two days later I nearly have a nervous breakdown and contemplate running in front of a car in the street :shock:. Psychiatrists are [developmentally delayed]ed. The two worst times of my life were both directly influenced by medicines they prescribed. Anyways, after I was suicidal at age 8, my mom decided to secretly stop giving me the medicines (both the anti-depressants and the ADHD meds), without telling the psychiatrist or the school. At first, as expected, I went into the withdrawal effect, but after that was over, I was finally back to normal. My grades went back up, I made more friends, and my teachers stopped calling and asking if I'd taken my medicine each day (yes, they were calling about this long before I had stopped taking the medicine, ironically :o). I think the only one good thing that actually came out of psychiatry [bleep]-ing up my childhood is the fact that I won't do drugs later in my life. The stuff you get on the streets is probably almost as bad as the [cabbage] psychiatrists prescribed me with :o :P.

Maybe because they did start playing in 2001 when many people were learning about RS. Why would you need an excuse for bad skills, you need an excuse for good skills because that means you may need to tone it down a bit.

What's your excuse for that 99 then? I'm proud to proclaim that not one of my skills have reached even level 50 yet! :P

(note: I will actually try getting a 99 or two this summer, which is probably going to be the first time that I'll actually be an active player :o. Until now, I've either lacked the time to play, or I wasn't able to play (i.e. 1 year avoiding the internet, three summers visiting relatives with no internet, etc...)

I would like this, although I wouldn't be worried about playing for several hours since I never have that kind of time. I would just like to see how much I play on those days I am not working.

I would really like a system like that, as I do tend to get carried away and waste time. I was surprised when I saw I played 6 hours on a new account I'd created, a message like that would have definitely resulted in me logging off sooner :oops:.

And, whocares, if you're counting, I've only been on that account 3 times in its existence, and it's the first time I've actually tried to seriously gain levels this year, so don't bother bringing up my level 7 account in your counterargument :P

skillgoal99fakingunderb.png

Fake Awards:

flatawardsbox.png

(The large number is the amount of awards I have gotten; only 8 are shown above. Click to see all of them.)

you either lazy and do nothing while online, or you dont know how to train properly

personally, most of my 99s were achieved pretty damn fast;99 herb for example, only took about 2 weeks, playing lazily. my mage was barraged, as were the charms for summoning. range was chinned, at roughly 325k/hr

my att/str/def however took a bit longer, but i didnt play nearly as much (maybe 2 hrs a day after school/weekends)

point; if youve been playing that long and your stats are that low, your doing something wrong

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come