Is RS Your 'Dirty Little Secret?'

Assume Nothing

Found this on the RSOF, thought tif could discuss on this too :D :

I was at my local public library today checking out some books and I noticed this person was playing Runescape on a public library computer. He's allowed to do that of course, the kid nearby him was playing a shooting game, the librarian doesn't care.

But I soon noticed that whenever someone is about to walk by behind him, he'll quickly change his tab to another website. Then he'll immediately change tab back into Runescape when the person walked on. This happened for every person that walks by behind him. He didn't notice me because I was standing behind a bookshelf at an angle that he can't see unless he completely turned around.

So this got me wondering, how many people out there really treats Runescape like it's some kind of dirty secret that you'd rather keep to yourself?

Also if someone asks you what games you play, would you be comfortable to say "I play Runescape"?

Basically, yeah, do YOU treat RuneScape like a dirty little secret? And if you do, why? I never really hide the fact that I play RS, I mean, it's not like looking at some inappropriate sites... only time I do hide it is at school because of the WoW vs RS arguments turn ugly...

Edit - Changed title to be more eyecatching :D.

Edit (again..) - This thread springs to mind:

Okay, I think this thread appeals to younger players like myself (age 13). But it could appeal to older players too, I really dont have the experience...

Has anyone ever heard you talk about RuneScape, or seen you play RuneScape, then they say something like, "Eww, you (still) play RuneScape? Nerd. Im gonna tell _____!" This happens to me on occasion, since I do play RuneScape. A lot of my friends used to play RuneScape, and Ive always been the best out of them all. By now, Im the only one left who still plays RuneScape, and everyone else is on to PS3, Xbox 360, or other MMORPGs. So they make fun of people to play RuneScape because they think that the game is for people of the age that they were when they were playing.

As for myself, I dont go on much, maybe 8-10 hours per week, max. So its pretty easy for me to hide the fact that I still play. But my friends who find out can get pretty annoying. If anyone asks me if I play RuneScape, then I just say no and then they go like, "Why you lieing?" or "Yeah, OKAY...".

I have some good friends who are okay with the fact that I still play, but someitmes I wouldnt even say that I play. Id just say that I go on for updates only, and thats it.

So basically, Ive hidden my RuneScape life from the real world. All because people my age care a lot about what their peers think and say about them, and its pretty annoying.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think anyone in my circle of friends even knows what RS is, so they're actually curious when they see me playing it. RSHD looks nice enough anyway to look like a good game to a passerby. :P

In short, not really. :)

"Hey, what's that called, Run Escape?"

*facepalm*

That's happened a lot :lol:

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

I really don't think anyone in my circle of friends even knows what RS is, so they're actually curious when they see me playing it. RSHD looks nice enough anyway to look like a good game to a passerby. :P

*facepalm*

I play in lowdetail, cuts out alot of lag on bad machines. I've had some dude ask me wtf I'm playing before, seriously wanted to punch the guy in the face though.

Why would I be ashamed in the first place? :lol:

But yeah, loads of people ask me what I'm playing and why do the graphics fail, since I generally play in LD when they see me... Several of them play WoW, so I kind of avoid talking to them about gaming. :wall: :-w

When it's just an idiot saying that RS fails, I just feel like punching him and get over it :XD:

animsig.gif

Thanks to Vey for the hawt siggie <3

*facepalm*

I play in lowdetail, cuts out alot of lag on bad machines. I've had some dude ask me wtf I'm playing before, seriously wanted to punch the guy in the face though.

hehe, i wont tell anyone at school because of the argument you mentioned ;)

And i wont play it on a public computer simply because i dont go onto public computers ;)

sigei.png

trechter.png

picture9hn2.png

another reason not to join bsc/esc/fsc

angel2w.gif

I don't hide it, but its not that I yell it of the rooftops either. But if someone asks me what games I play I do mention Rs, nothing to be ashamed of right?...Right?

~edit, playing Runescape on a public computer in the library? You can better just scream out your password on the street then #-o

mdeosig.png

hytbanner2.png

Proud (retired) Tip.it Times Editor! Tip.it Times Archives TET event forum

NO. although i have to admit, runescape carries many connotations relating to: time consuming or too much clicking yade-yada. it shouldn't justify having you ashamed of playing a computer game that you enjoy.

I don't often talk about RS because nobody knows the game and I don't want to describe it in every detail. But if somebody asks me what I play occasionally then I won't hide it. Yeah, and I really mean nobody. I still don't know anyone irl who also plays RS. #-o

[404] Signature not found.

well im from that time when runescape was 1 of the biggest hits around school and now i'm one of those few that didnt quite... usualy when i tell pll i still play runescpae it 'omg, dont u have a social life' or 'isnt that a game for 12year olds?'. in the begining, i found it odd and enoying, but yea, that was like 3years ago.. now i just ignore them or oblige them to try it again and often i get recactions like, wow it has changed alot and well in fact it was a fun game etc

you should be ashamed of playing a online game like runescape if you see other games like WoW or COD, even more time consuming and there are way more addicts then with rs

claneurope.gif

exercitum-1.png

[hide]visage drop 11/01/09

goals:

all skills 70+ (completed)

all skills 80+

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER![/hide]

My dirty little secret has to do with my best friend's sister. Nothing to do with Runescape.

I'm glad you have the "Best Friends" in there :-#

I don't see the point in hiding it if you play, 22 and don't give a flying duck who knows.

My best friend is 38, and her Husband both play, maybe he was just ashamed of his lame account?

My mother and father used to have mt play runescape, but as of now they dont care. However, if they come into my room to talk, I always close the game out :-#

35bvvh1.png

[hide=Quotes]

Albel/Justin

Albel doesn't say anything anymore, just comes in, leaves an arrow and vanishes into the night :(Probably
practising some euphonium

You nearly had me fooled, you fooler you

Euphonium/10.

9/10. To me, always associate Albel with musical stuff in OT.

Everyone with a goatee and glasses is Albel now.

lmfao albel m8 wat r u doin, hi though.

[/hide]

[hide=Runescape Achievements]99 firemaking(2007), 99 woodcutting(2008), 99 fletching(2009), 99 magic(2010), 99 cooking(2010), 99 farming(2011), 99 construction(2011), 99 runecrafting(2012), 99 Hunter (2014),  99 ranged (2015), 99 HP (2015), 99 Slayer (2015), 99 attack (2015) 99 Defense (2015) 99 Prayer (2015) 99 Summoning (2015) 99 Strength(2015) 99 Herblore (2015) 99 Dungeoneering (2017)  99 Mining (2017) 99 Crafting (2017) 99 Smithing (2017) 99 Thieving (2017)  99 invention (2017) 99 Fishing (2018), 99 Divination (2018), 99 Agility (2018), MAXED (05/17/2018)[/hide]

My mother and father used to have mt play runescape, but as of now they dont care. However, if they come into my room to talk, I always close the game out :-#

Be careful with that. Most parents take it in an entirely different way if you switch or close out tabs right when they walk in...

Baci in 5th grade where every kid played Runescape, it wasn't a shame to play but rather an honor. Then now in high school most kids are insecure about being a runescape player. Most claim that they "used to play" and don't anymore. Some are telling the truth like those people who moved to other online games. But I know just from looking at them that some are just insecure about whether or not playing runescape would ruin their social lives. As for me I'm sort of like one of those types of people, I usually just don't discuss games online at all and I only confess to runescape playing if someone admits to playing it first.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

Be careful with that. Most parents take it in an entirely different way if you switch or close out tabs right when they walk in...

Baci in 5th grade where every kid played Runescape, it wasn't a shame to play but rather an honor. Then now in high school most kids are insecure about being a runescape player. Most claim that they "used to play" and don't anymore. Some are telling the truth like those people who moved to other online games. But I know just from looking at them that some are just insecure about whether or not playing runescape would ruin their social lives. As for me I'm sort of like one of those types of people, I usually just don't discuss games online at all and I only confess to runescape playing if someone admits to playing it first.

Haha I know, I closed a tab right when the comp admin walked by and I got kinda.. punished for that, my fault for going on proxy's on the school internet I suppose.

I wouldn't mind talking about RS on msn, I mean, it's the internet afterall, but Irl I don't think I would much, it's not exactly a good discussion topic with so many "WoW Nerds" around.

Only 2 of my friends play Runescape too.

So I don't talk much about it.

However another friend of mine plays some other MMORPG and he just can't keep quite when he has gotten a lvl or something.

Sometimes it gets annoying after a while. :lol:

But if someone asks me what games I play I would start to say what sort of games I like (MMORPG, RTS, RPG, ...) and when they ask further about the mmorpg, I will mention Runescape.

KADrb.png
260pifq.jpg

No, RuneScape isn't my "dirty little secret", but I don't tell anyone that I play, unless they ask of course. And to be honest I don't care if people know. Only one of my real life friends play as all of the others quit... Or did they? Maybe it's their a dirty little secret. :lol:

Tired_Dood.png

2,041st person to achieve 99 Runecraft.

Errr no. If Runescape is one of your worst secrets... then you need a life :(

I have far worse things to be concerned about. Tbh Runescape is good compared to a lot of the other things :lol:

You mean... 4chan? We're striding a little offtopic though =/.

I have far worse things to be concerned about. Tbh Runescape is good compared to a lot of the other things :lol:

Not specifically, I has some... vague... ish... life outside the intertubes too.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Not specifically, I has some... vague... ish... life outside the intertubes too.

Oh Teh Noez! :ohnoes: :lol:

Depends who I'm talking with. If I'm with people who play other mmo's or runescape, I have no problem saying that I play RS. If I'm with people who simply don't play computer games, the subject is never brought up. But moreoless yeah, it's my little secret <3:

16185_s.gif