What happens after your death?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. What happens after your death?

• Other (...)
    • Reincarnation
    • Nothingness
    • Eternal life

chances are there will just be nothing, i hope my immortality potion works

Just make sure it keeps your body living forever as well not just your mind/soul. What's the point in being immortal if your body still withers away.

howlin1eeveesig.png

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poll results are pretty interesting. I mean, nearly 60% of TIF is atheist (or at least doesn't believe in eternal life or anything else).

Now that you mention it, it would also be pretty interesting to have a poll for religion specifically. :)

It would be actually. I've always assumed that at least a decent portion of TIF was atheist, but I never realized it was 60%. Then again I wonder what the results of this poll would be if it were posted in the runescape section.

Or, as I posted somewhere else, earlier ;

[hide=]All the cool kids on the OT block are dumping down the RtotheEtotheLtotheItotheGtotheItotheOtotheN

Coz' we all wanna hip, yo'

You dawgs hearing me fo' shizzle ?

Can't get into all dis' HESUS [cabbage]. Yo' feelin' me ?[/hide]

I don't think this is really an accurate representation of what people feel.

I didn't know what you meant by that the first time around, but you're right. There are those who are scientific and come to their conclusions with proper reasoning like Venomai and Warri0r, and then there are those who just want to follow people like that around without doing any independent thinking for themselves. If you want to be an atheist there is nothing wrong with that, but it's a bit hypocritical to do the same thing religions do and blindly follow just so you can look like you're a bad [wagon]. I forget who said it, but that type of thing is pseudo-atheism.

*Teenager with Christian upbringings goes to listen to some metal band. Hears lyrics denying God.* "Whoa, not believing God? That's hardcore. I wanna be just like them."

Young minds are so impressionable.

I didn't know what you meant by that the first time around, but you're right. There are those who are scientific and come to their conclusions with proper reasoning like Venomai and Warri0r, and then there are those who just want to follow people like that around without doing any independent thinking for themselves. If you want to be an atheist there is nothing wrong with that, but it's a bit hypocritical to do the same thing religions do and blindly follow just so you can look like you're a bad [wagon]. I forget who said it, but that type of thing is pseudo-atheism.

*Teenager with Christian upbringings goes to listen to some metal band. Hears lyrics denying God.* "Whoa, not believing God? That's hardcore. I wanna be just like them."

Young minds are so impressionable.

Hehe. :thumbup:

Wait, I voted reincarnation, does that make me a Hindu or something?

No, it means you believe in reincarnation; you wouldnt say someone was automatically a christian if they believed in god.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

No, it means you believe in reincarnation; you wouldnt say someone was automatically a christian if they believed in god.

Nadril said that those who voted nothingness are Atheist...

So...

So...

i think reincarnation is buddhism guy

Reincarnation is generally linked to Hinduism. Buddhism also believes in reincarnation but differs significantly from Hindu beliefs.

So...

Oh, Im not sure if you were using the hindu argument to make a bit of an attack on that or not so I cant respond properly. My bad if I missed something simple there.

edit--reincarnation is part of a few religions; hinduism and buddhism are the two I can think of off the top of my head but Im sure there are a few others. Only reason I know the reincarnation one is that Buddhism grew out of the teachings of the budda similair to how christianity came out of judaism; in buddhism the reincarnation came from its parent religion.

awteno.jpg

how can you exist after you die if you didnt exist before you were born??

riddle me that

(he/she is probably a troll but;)

There is many many things about this world that we don't know, so I don't think anyone can explain that.

howlin1eeveesig.png

riddle me that

Because its possible god created the universe to develop life through natural selection and evolution, but he allows humans to continue living in a different way after they die.

Not that I believe in this necessarily, but its an answer to your question.

awteno.jpg

riddle me that

(he/she is probably a troll but;)

There is many many things about this world that we don't know, so I don't think anyone can explain that.

im not trollin i just can never find an answer to that question

well probably never know....

Kripsbmackin.png

(No, i dont actually think I'm in the crips.)

There is no such thing as "nothing at all" even a brick wall that once stood solid is still something when it is demolished. I'm not claiming there is life after death or reincarnation but I am claiming that once the physical self is dead, you will still be energy in the eye's of physics. Just in response to all those 'blind' at the very beginning. The question is, if energy never ceases to exist and everything is made of energy which continuously creates the universe, what part does your energy play? Even if the answer is nothing, you will always be something.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

There is no such thing as "nothing at all" even a brick wall that once stood solid is still something when it is demolished. I'm not claiming there is life after death or reincarnation but I am claiming that once the physical self is dead, you will still be energy in the eye's of physics. Just in response to all those 'blind' at the very beginning. The question is, if energy never ceases to exist and everything is made of energy which continuously creates the universe, what part does your energy play? Even if the answer is nothing, you will always be something.

You only exist as a final product of the body you are made of. Sure, all of the molecules in your body will no longer work towards this creation of the "you" when you die, they will go somewhere else. However, this cycle of molecules still happens when you are alive; in about twenty years from now you will be made of none or a very small amount of the atoms which make up your body today.

That is why I think it is irrelevant to talk about your actual body. The poll is addressing your consciousness and the "you" which allows you to perceive.

[iNSERT "I R EATIN TEH SHIX ATM" BILL COSBY SIGNATURE GIF HERE, LOL]

If everything is made of energy, that includes consciousness dear. It vibrates at a certain frequency which allows perception. Technically, I voted "other".

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

If everything is made of energy, that includes consciousness dear. It vibrates at a certain frequency which allows perception.

I don't believe everything is made out of energy, but rather energy is created by everything. Everything referring to the physical, and consciousness is not physical. I believe it is strictly a byproduct of the human mind interacting with the body.

I still stand with the neuroscientists & physicians with energy being everything; that perceived emotions & consciousness such as memories, ambitions, sadness, happy, your own sense of identity, free will are in fact no more than the behaviour of assembling nerve cells & associated molecules :P

igoddessIsig.png

All perceived emotions & consciousness such as memories, ambitions, sadness, happy, your own sense of identity, free will are in fact no more than the behaviour of assembling nerve cells & associated molecules :P

Thus proving my point but looking at it in a different way. These physical parts of the body can be compared to a hydrogen atom in the sun. When the atom is expelled, it becomes no more than a drifting hydrogen atom, and is no more of a part of the sun than the hydrogen atoms in your tap water. Our lone body parts are nothing more than meets the eye, but when utilized they create our impalpable consciousness.

Well not really you said that consciousness isn't physical, I say that it is. Either way, it just proves that there is no such thing as "nothingness" after death. Which (once again) is why I technically voted "other."

igoddessIsig.png

Yeah, the conservation of mass/energy argument that some have brought up is pointless in this debate. You metabolize energy from food, when you die you are no longer getting any energy and entropy takes it's toll on your body. Yes, everything follows the conservation laws, but it isn't your consciousness anymore.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

Well not really you said that consciousness isn't physical, I say that it is. Either way, it just proves that there is no such thing as "nothingness" after death. Which (once again) is why I technically voted "other."

I believe that without a complete body, and thus without consciousness, you will be experiencing nothingness.

For there to be something to experience after death, we would need to have some way of perceiving it. Separated atoms alone can't perceive in any way shape or form. If they could, and as I said earlier, we would be perceiving things all over the place, given the rapid pace that we molecules.

You metabolize energy from food, when you die you are no longer getting any energy and entropy takes it's toll on your body.

I think Goddess was referring to the actual energy exuded by each and every atom, or esoteric energy that causes consciousness.