DDOSing In Scape

Cinos

I just find it moronic that I orginally posted a nice and helpful post covering the sheer basics of how to avoid most of the simple ip grabbing methods. Keeping it in nice simple terms since not everyone is tech savvy yet foolish people have to try and dissect what I said.

Firstly by picking out the opening phrase and ignoring the fact many of the other issues they mention I did cover in my initial post and also trying to insist I was claiming all kinds of crazy things when my claim was simple:

A firewall that controls who/what accesses your connection blocks out a simple method of ip grabbing.

Nothing wrong with that at all, its a perfectly true statement.

If I had said it was fool proof, or blocked them all, sure take issue. But I didn't.

I even went on to cover forums and links and acknowledge that there was little you could do about most determined attackers.

I wasn't trying to attack you in anyway. You're not giving out bad advice, however it far from solves the problem. Even if my home network was as secure as the NSA, accessing any runescape related forum(even tip.it) puts me at risk of being (D)DOSed. And yes, by contacting your ISP, they could take action against a (D)DOSer.

w4M8t.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of us that don't know what a DDoS is: Think of an elementary school teacher, trying to talk to another teacher, with about seven or eight other kids trying to get her attention as well.

Internal LAN IP address = irrelevant; all that matters is that they can see *your* outside IP address. Then, they proceed to flood it with nonsense, causing your machine to stop whatever it's doing and pay attention to their requests.

You can turn on your firewalls to drop excessive session connections, and you can also make sure it blocks excessive pings as well.

If you're concerned about it: Don't go anywhere where your IP address can be seen by anyone other than an administrative authority.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

DDOS only takes down servers. They probably just used his IP address to send him a virus of some sort.

Um...Wow.

Without going into extensive detail, A server is a pc that is built to handle more "wear"(for lack of better term.) If you can take down a server, you can take down a PC.

BTW, old computers are often used as servers for testing by small companies.

w4M8t.png

Honestly, that's why RS doesn't like people using other software (such as Swiftkit). Not because they think it's unfair or because the dude who created it is going to hack you. It's because RS cannot control those other programs.

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

Honestly, that's why RS doesn't like people using other software (such as Swiftkit). Not because they think it's unfair or because the dude who created it is going to hack you. It's because RS cannot control those other programs.

DDOS is very illegal. Record the IP of the DDOSer and call up your ISP. Probably best thing to do.

w4M8t.png

LJ13 got it right people should listen him.

n64jive its pretty hard record the ip of the ddosser. Availed dced me at mb and all i got is random list on 1000 ips across world sending me packets. Also the way they got my ip was from RSC since someone has acess in their admin cp.

ill post more info once i get off work.

Nukearcher.gif

Ranged 101/99, Str 105/99, Att 105/99, Hp 106/99, Def 100/70, Magic 102/99

lol I still find it funny.

Certain people are unable to comprehend the fact of I am not talking about LAN IPs or trying to claim the firewall is a miracle cure.

It still stands perfectly viable without a hardware firewall anyone can directly access your network and read any ip they wish include the WAN and LAN ips.

Thus a hardware firewall usually in your router, but some times can be on the pc itself, blocks out 1 or 2 basic methods of getting your ip.

And I in noway claimed the firewall would stop an attack, I simple stated it stopped some basic ways of getting you're ip off you.

And as for people banging on at me about forums and what not go back and read my original post I covered all the basic bases of avoiding getting your ip taken, which included the basic firewall, forums, chat servers and website links. With acknowledgement of the fact that it was impossible to outright stay 100% safe and that you can't block an attack once they have your ip.

It's a sad world when I have had to say the same thing like ten times because people continually respond with stuff about LAN ips and how firewalls don't stop the attack, when I said absolutely nothing about such things.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

And still epic fail at reading because the most basic straight forward ways of getting ips are blocked out by most firewalls.

If you note my psot was a progressive thing, I clearly said firewall blocked the basics and then listed the other wasy to dodge the more advance systems and that it was impossible to dodge all methods.

Its a fact THE most basic ways of getting an pc's IP is directly accessing their network due to a lack of firewall, along with a few remote assistance and other such base methods. All of which are so so so so basic, but all of whihc the firewall knocks out.

This does not mean there are no straight forward or relatively easy ways to do it. It means the most basic are blocked by a firewall

Please, for the love of god, SHUT UP

NO VIRUS SOFTWARE/FIREWALL SOFTWARE CAN HIDE YOU IP.

Your public (WAN) IP is one of the most vital organs of your internet: the server that has to send you data back has to know the location to sent to, so it has to know your IP. So if you ever went hiding your IP you wouldn't be able to retrieve any data from the internet.

Similarly, connecting to any server (webservers even) makes your ip clear to someone. - There's theoritically nothing that can be done to prevent ddos attacks. Even blocking the offensive IP's at your firewall won't do any good: they'll not get on your network (so the lan works), but they still are capable of blocking all internet traffic. (All data still goes to your router, where it's blocked). - At least, if they used an UDP attack (TCP/IP attacks wait for a confirmation reply/till timeout, where UDP just sends data as fast as possible).

Also notice the difference between a ddos and a dos: a distributed denial of service attack uses a lot of infected pcs to send data towards the victim: making the power much larger, and making it next to impossible to detect.. (The ones who actually do something are "victims" themselves too: they are infected by some virus, and their upload will be used for the attack). dossing - on the other hand happens from 1 single connection (and is trackable)..

The only thing that can be done is using triggers at your ISP level: if lots of similar packages come from a lot of hosts in a very fast rate (at the same time) your ISP should maybe block them.... I know large parties (companies, goverment etc) often do such things.. However it's a long time since I heard of ddos-ing users. There's a lot of trouble involved in building a bot-network: most modern virus-scanners/firewalls easily see if your are infected with a bot that goes ddos-ing someone. - Also under XP (and up) a lot of unsafe connections are closed by default, so the bots have to use specific ports..

That said: users won't be able to catch your IP from IRC (it's actually designed to cloack your IP - so other users can only catch the ISP part). - Yet IRCOPs can of course get your IP (since they are the owners of the IRC-servers).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Again.

I DID NOT SAY IT HIDES YOUR IP

I said it blocks out ONE singular method of people finding out you're ip.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Learn to read.

Virus and firewall block out the SIMPLE methods.

Simple methods being the straight forward computer illiterate people can do it methods.

Pulli23 is 100% correct.

Firewalls never block people from viewing your IP. Your external IP is decided and public by your ISP. I can get anybody's IP who has a Firewall, Norton, etc, just by talking to them on MSN, in TeamSpeak, etc.

I think you confuse what a Firewall's job actually is.

And before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm a programmer for Symantec and developed Norton 360's Sonar technology.

For the person that said that they have a script running that monitors incoming requests and they can send them back. Unfortunately that won't do any damage. They use a bot-net of different servers. These can easily handle request you send at it.

09144a99bb.png

Learn to read.

Simple methods being the straight forward computer illiterate people can do it methods.

Pulli23 is 100% correct.

Firewalls never block people from viewing your IP. Your external IP is decided and public by your ISP. I can get anybody's IP who has a Firewall, Norton, etc, just by talking to them on MSN, in TeamSpeak, etc.

And before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm a programmer for Symantec and developed Norton 360's Sonar technology.

For the person that said that they have a script running that monitors incoming requests and they can send them back. Unfortunately that won't do any damage. They use a bot-net of different servers. These can easily handle request you send at it.

Well at least you're polite but you seem to of missed half my message, in between all the preaching about things I didn't comment on.

I'm not saying a firewall will stop them getting your IP or do anything to block the attack.

I was simply saying the firewall stops 1 method of getting your ip, namely being able to connect directly (or indirectly if done over the internet) to your network and thus know all your WAN and LAN ips.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

[hide=Quotes]

Learn to read.

Pulli23 is 100% correct.

Well at least you're polite but you seem to of missed half my message, in between all the preaching about things I didn't comment on.

I'm not saying a firewall will stop them getting your IP or do anything to block the attack.

I was simply saying the firewall stops 1 method of getting your ip, namely being able to connect directly (or indirectly if done over the internet) to your network and thus know all your WAN and LAN ips.

[/hide]

The only problem I see with what you are saying is, if they are able to connect to you directly, they've already got your IP. ;)

09144a99bb.png

[hide=Quotes]

Learn to read.

Pulli23 is 100% correct.

[/hide]

The only problem I see with what you are saying is, if they are able to connect to you directly, they've already got your IP. ;)

I know but while they theoretically have it you still have to work technical-ish stuff to find it out.

If they actually connect it will pretty much tell them on screen the ip with no effort at all.

My point has just been obscured by all the ranters, going on about the difference of LAN and WAN and that a firewall won't block the attack and that there are other ways to get your ip. But if you go back to my very initial post and some of the responses you can clearly see I have not disputed anything they have said as its all right. But equally none of what they have said has the slightest ounce of relevance to what my point was.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Let's dissect it fully then.

Original Post:

In all honesty is pretty hard to get someones ip if they are smart.

Most, if not all basic virus software and firewalls block out the most simple ip getting methods.

Only if that computer isn't allowed access to the Internet in anyway... The moment you go loading a website or start talking to people online, your WAN IP is visible to either those with admin privileges or to those who are desperate enough to get your IP. I don't know what other methods you have going on in your head, but they just don't make sense.

Firewalls and Anti-virus programs stop people getting onto your network/computer. However the moment you go loading the Internet up on it, you have shared the WAN IP (The one used to DOS) - Thus rendering your firewall and anti-virus defenceless in the stopping your IP being visible.

This is the main reason why we were trying to set you in the right direction, however you still seem fairly adamant that getting onto the network before getting the WAN IP is one of the "most simple methods"

Then as long as you only use well known or run by people you know and trust chat servers and forums you can be assured that all the mods etc who CAN see you're ip aren't gonna pull stunts like this.

Welcome to the Internet, You can't really trust anyone these days, People can breach in to get these IP's, they can have people on the inside, they can simply make you view an image.

Then of course don't click random links. If you don't know the person and the link isn't heading to a major site (eg mysapce, youtube, yahoo etc) don;t hit it.

Sure you can never be 100% safe but most of them time you gotta make an error for them to find these things out, I mean the reall advance ways you're never gonna block; but I doubt some nerdy rs hacker is gonna know or even use such high end methods.

Your generalisation that a RS hacker wouldn't know "advanced" methods is a bad one. It's when you do this, that your likely going to end up facing some unexpected surprise.

Then, you try saying we can't comprehend the facts you're talking about. Well that's kind of hard to do when what you're talking about contains the wrong information and methods behind it.

lol I still find it funny.

Certain people are unable to comprehend the fact of I am not talking about LAN IPs or trying to claim the firewall is a miracle cure.

Well that's what a Firewall does see, For WAN IP protection it is fairly useless, because when your on the Internet, it has become visible. You can use your firewall to stop the web browser having access and such sure... But then you wont be having any Internet. Kind of defeats the purpose especially for this discussion which is based on you being on the Internet in the first place.

It still stands perfectly viable without a hardware firewall anyone can directly access your network and read any ip they wish include the WAN and LAN ips.

Thus a hardware firewall usually in your router, but some times can be on the pc itself, blocks out 1 or 2 basic methods of getting your ip.

Well you are going to be connected to them through the WAN IP (Unless a VPN is set up and the username & password is posted for all to see)

So... Yeah, same as I said above, No Internet = No IP. The moment you go loading that web forum or anything coming from a hosting server, your IP is available to those with access (Which happens to be the easy methods)

And I in noway claimed the firewall would stop an attack, I simple stated it stopped some basic ways of getting you're ip off you.

Well your idea of what a Firewall does has been based on flawed knowledge throughout. Hence the reason we keep trying to tell you the difference between WAN and LAN IP.

And as for people banging on at me about forums and what not go back and read my original post I covered all the basic bases of avoiding getting your ip taken, which included the basic firewall, forums, chat servers and website links. With acknowledgement of the fact that it was impossible to outright stay 100% safe and that you can't block an attack once they have your ip.

You only acknowledged that you should stay with the people you know and trust. For someone who is desperate and willing enough to do this to you, that doesn't help.

Because you're constantly going to be requesting and downloading data from the various hosts out there as you view any forum etc.

It's a sad world when I have had to say the same thing like ten times because people continually respond with stuff about LAN ips and how firewalls don't stop the attack, when I said absolutely nothing about such things.

Well yes, Yes you did. Because you brought up "connecting to their network" and you even stated an example being that you could be in bed and see peoples networks that were unprotected. Well, These are LAN based, and this is why we keep on trying to tell you the difference.

:thumbup:

*yawn*

If a network is unprotected you can very easily connect to it and get the WAN Ip

Network is protected by having a firewall.

Firewall therefore blocks out 1 single method of getting you're ip.

You are still arguing things I'm not saying.

The whole as soon as you go on a forum bs is not something I have denied.

Again read what I HAVE ACTUALLY SAID

A firewall makes it so people can't directly join you're network without permission, so they therefore cannot get a direct read out of you're WAN ip via this method.

This has NOTHING to do with how you're ip is aviaible through chat programs, chat servers, forums or anything else on the web.

This is solely and totally related to if you connect to a network you can read its ip very freely, this does NOT mean they were not other ways to read it fairly easily. The firewall can stop connection to your network for unauthorised parties, this means that one option to find you're ip is blocked.

I mean jeeze come on now, stop for a second and think.

Forget forums, forget everything you do when you're on the net.

The only dispute you are all throwing up is essentially:

If you block/hide your ip with a firewall you can't access the net.

While on the net websites etc still get your ip.

I am in NO WAY AT ALL denying that when you're on the net people can get your ip and there are very simple methods to do this.

The entirety of my point is to do with DIRECT access to your network.

It is perfectly true if you connect to someone's network you can quite simply read there ip - so it is a simple method to get someones ip

It is perfectly true having a firewall to control who can access you're network means people cannot do this method.

Therefore the firewall DOES prevent one method of obtaining somones ip. This bears NO relation, however, to ip masking or blocking or the fact websites etc etc all obtain your ip freely. The ONLY counter arguments I have seen thrown out all refer to these various factors that my firewall comment has NOTHING to do with.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

*sigh*

DIRECT access to their network is done by sitting outside of their house and connecting to the router via wireless (By sitting outside of their house, I mean, as long as you are within range to connect to it). Or you are hooked up to it via Ethernet.

It's a LAN connection.

But in the context of what this discussion is on about is carrying out a DDOS on another runescape player, And you are not going to be directly connecting to their network because obviously you wont be sitting outside the house of every player you'd want to DDOS.

It's only "simple" if the network is unprotected and you're in range. Well it's becoming rather common practice now to secure the network in the first place, and doesn't require a level of smartness.

See, your scenario is based LAN, while ours is based on getting victims over the other side of the world.

You didn't even initially state this, instead you threw your firewall protection at us. It's only logical that we would get confused and argue against you, as the scenario you're basing it on is different than ours.

You can quite easily connect to another network across the web and not via direct lan connectivity.

And i explained very early on what the point was and that I had kept it simple for the non-tech savvy.

The whole issue has been everyone inferring things into what I said, fair enough querying my first post where it kept it very basic. But after I explained and it made explicitly clear the firewall point was referring to the method of direct (or indirect via the web) connecting to a network and thus being able to read off their ip with ease. And in no way related to blocking the attack, blocking you're ip or other internet activities; yet every argument thrown up added in how I was "wrong" because there are other easy ways to get the ip on the net etc, which was never an issue.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

You can quite easily connect to another network across the web and not via direct lan connectivity.

And i explained very early on what the point was and that I had kept it simple for the non-tech savvy.

The whole issue has been everyone inferring things into what I said, fair enough querying my first post where it kept it very basic. But after I explained and it made explicitly clear the firewall point was referring to the method of direct (or indirect via the web) connecting to a network and thus being able to read off their ip with ease. And in no way related to blocking the attack, blocking you're ip or other internet activities; yet every argument thrown up added in how I was "wrong" because there are other easy ways to get the ip on the net etc, which was never an issue.

Correction: you can not connect to another unless you know their IP-adress. (Unless they set their connection up using specific protocols to communicate around the Internet Protocol, ie hamachi/VPN - but even then it's far from "easily"). - Sorry but I will keep correcting you untill you stop spreading mis-information about this.

ANY connection that is made NEEDS to know the IP - heck even LAN connections NEED to know the IP of the router. (You connect with the router, NOT with the PC directly, the router often behaves like a hardware firewall, and blocks data tranfer FROM the router, to your PC - However DDOSing happens outside the router, you pc doesn't need to recieve any data for a ddos attack to work).

That you need to have an IP before you can establish a connection should be pretty much common knowlenge (and even common sense). - Your IP adress is like your Postal Adress: if you sent a letter(data) to someone you need to know their postal (IP) adress. If you didn't know it how would anyone know where to send the data to? - How would your internet explorer get the data from the webserver if they didn't know your addres (so they knew where to sent to?).. - How would you connect to someone's lan if you didn't know where he is "located"? What would you say, how do you DEFINE a person? - For these you all need to knkow their IP..

And saying 'well but if you could connect you would just see their ip'. - When talking about hacking etc there is no such thing as "see": it's "in the memory", and you manually describe what should be showed - however with these things there isn't a standard anymore!

Anyways, back on topic, it still startles me how anyone would be capable of creating a bot-network for a ddos, yet wastes this network on a simple RUNESCAPE account. (You can get mega money selling a bot-network to certain companies)..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

No, you cannot, not unless the router/switch's default settings have been changed to allow VPN connections, and many routers don't even support the feature

Like yourself.

As I and others have said, if you even once connect to another person or site you have given away your ip, people don't need to try to find something that is given away every time you perform any connection online. People can't connect to you to try to get your ip, because if they can do that they already have your ip. There is no "indirect" method of getting someone else's ip, nor does a firewall have ANYTHING to do with preventing anything like you have claimed it does. There are no other ways to get an ip besides the web as ip's are what make the internet work. The only reason you continue to post in this thread is you do not understand the correct things that are being told to you and yet you continue to type misinformation. Look up NAT, firewalls, tcp/ip on a reliable source or take a class in networking or even code your own bot before you continue to make yourself look more like an idiot.

And as a bonus, open your command prompt and type "NETSTAT -A" becuase its that simple to see the IP of every connection to your machine.

You make it sound like running through a few level 87 monsters is hard which it really shouldn't be at your level.

riptide_mage.png

riptide_mage.png

Keeping it simple for the non-tech savvy is exactly why crap like this gets spread through the community. You have to be blunt, clear and know WTF you're talking about in the first place if you're going to go trying to "calm the masses". If you aren't, they brush it off and keep on going. Bringing up a direct, wired connection in a discussion about DDOS attacks is beyond stupid. Further muddying the waters by flipping your definition of direct makes the situation more unclear and undermines your own point. Yeah, I can DDOS your LAN if I plug into it, but that isn't anything close to what is being talked about here, so please, shut up and go home before you do more damage to the already basic understand most RS players have of the internet.

This, just like the CastleWars "lower IP makes you faster" claim, is nothing more than someone thinking they found some new activity, spreading the rumor and the stupider people in the community latching onto it and spreading it like it's the truth because they think they know what they're talking about. DDOS has been around longer than many RS players have been alive. Sitting here arguing over the finer details because you think you know how to protect everyone isn't going to help a damn thing. If anything it will only make it worse by giving them yet another boogy monster to worry about while they play.

There is nothing you can do to "hide" your IP address. It's public information. The fact your modem is turned on makes your IP public. The firewall you installed (software or hardware) doesn't hide it. You trying to be smart by not visiting links doesn't hide it. You want to hide it? Unplug your modem and go outside. Sitting here trying to "secure" yourself from DDOS is akin to thinking you can shut off the city water system by turning off the water to your house. The city is still sending water, you may not see it at your faucet, but it's still there pushing on the valve to your house whether you like it or not.

Anyone worrying about this is wasting their time. If someone wants your IP, they're going to get it whether you like or not. If you think you can hide it, you're wrong. Go learn about networking. For those that just don't understand it, don't worry about it and go play your game.

Keeping it simple for the non-tech savvy is exactly why crap like this gets spread through the community. You have to be blunt, clear and know WTF you're talking about in the first place if you're going to go trying to "calm the masses". If you aren't, they brush it off and keep on going. Bringing up a direct, wired connection in a discussion about DDOS attacks is beyond stupid. Further muddying the waters by flipping your definition of direct makes the situation more unclear and undermines your own point. Yeah, I can DDOS your LAN if I plug into it, but that isn't anything close to what is being talked about here, so please, shut up and go home before you do more damage to the already basic understand most RS players have of the internet.

You can connect to someone else network via the worldwide web, in a way not dissimilar to how proxies work you don't have to be in range or plugged in.

Equally a method of getting your IP, all be it unlikely for any serious DDOS attacker, could be to infect your system with something that reports back to them. Unlikely cause it beats around the houses, but never the less possible. This can also be diverted by a firewall.

My entire firewall point was a tiny passing issue as a general basis of advice to at least attempt to avoid some the basic ways people grab you're IP (whihc incidentally encompass a few obscure ones). It's been blown out of all proportion by people sticking other things into it to try and say I was wrong, when I wasn't. And now by people having to return to a dead issue with blatant flame baiting and further basing it off things I haven't said and by implying I made some huge point about firewall will save all.

Hopefully this "argument" will die out now, but as a finisher I'd just like to return to what my original point was, but with some extended wording since people are so insistent that it can't be "kept simple"

For those out there concerned about getting this kind of attack who aren't so tech savvy:

1) Make sure your network is protected, usually via a firewall built into you're router or modem. This does block out some simple, though some what obscure ways people could get your ip. Doesn't do a huge amount as using the net puts your ip out there, but even so worth having regardless to save you from keyloggers and such-like.

2) Try to avoid chat servers and forums with/run by people you do not trust. Every chat service and forum very obviously monitors your ip, though this info is usually restricted to moderators on non-main stream sites moderators can easily be collecting ips for DDOS attacks.

3) Be careful with links you're clicking. Non-mainstream RS sites strangers link to can easily be embedded with keyloggers or ip harvesting coding. Keep to tip.it, runeHQ etc and you can dodge most of this kind of attack.

4) If someone is planning to attack you there is very little you can do other than contact your ISP to get a new ip address. There isn't really any effective way of blocking such attacks

5) No matter how careful you are its still extremely easy for people to get your ip as its public as soon as you use the internet.

Better?

Plv6Dz6.jpg