DDOSing In Scape

Cinos

Recently one of my friends was in bh in expensive gear while he was in his clan's IRC chat. Someone new who was in the same bh world sent him a link which was supposedly a "dfs pk" which instead sent his ip to a group of people. Suddenly his internet disconnected as he was attacked.

His internet started working fine after 5 minutes and he logged on with all the stuff he was wearing on and entered the IRC chat channel where me and a few friends were in. A few people then entered who I didn't reconise and started saying things like "gf 100m" etc. I found out a few minutes later that they did something called "DDOSing" and that the person who did it to him was meant to be a notorious DDOSer going by the alias of "VegetaKid" or as one of my friends would call him "The prebuescent little nerd with a lisp"

I found out later about what a DDOS is and does, although I may not be 100% correct on it but it gives the just of what it does. DDOS (Distributed Denial Of Service) basically involves the hacker overloading the victim's connection to the internet through their ip making it impossible to do anything on it. The ones iv seen people use on runescape involve sending bots through open ports overloading your connection. It's illegal to do, but people who know how to do it most likely know how to hide themselves and even if you did find out where they were you can't exactly call the police cause u got haxed on RS :roll:

Recently after it happened to my friend i'v started to see it happening to more people, a couple of famous pkers lately have posted vids were they have been DDOSed and downed for quite a bit of stuff. A few other friends have had it to them while in pvp/bh and also I came under attack just as I left the armadyl boss room by someone I knew. He then showed me a list of over 1000 ips of famous pkers, and other scapers which he claimed he could DDOS at any time. Most of the DDOSers iv seen that do it on RS seem to take pride in their "work" and think it's "epic lulz" to do. They are even up their own arseholes so much they'v made themselves a memberlist on runehead.

I think it's sad that people would do this sort of thing on an online game, and I didn't relise that people could actually do it so easily with just an IP address, and thats the sort of thing firewalls, antivirus etc are meant to protect against. It's also sickening thinking that it could happen to you at any time if your not prepared. I know it's probably been happening for a while on runescape, but is it starting to happen at a higher rate than before? What is your opinion on the matter?

discuss

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your friend must be really stupid. Any pig with half a brain would know not the go to links/sites given by a complete stranger. I don't understand how people can actually fall for that. "It could happen to you at any time if your not prepared"--it would not happen at all if people start to be less gullible.

I think the people who fall of it are either stupid or need to get proper friends. No one should click random links, ever. Even on Tip.It, you should always copy link location and paste it into your address bar before entering it, making sure it's not a trick. The people who do the DDOS'ing need to get a hobby or a job, but there have always, and will always, be idiots like that around. It's all about learning not to do stupid things - you simply can NOT get someone's IP via the RS client so someone who plays it safe will never have a problem.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

I think it's wrong, but JaGex has rules about don't tell anyone your IRC or MSN therefore this kind of stuff won't happen... the only exception is µ bug. Crushpker makes a point albiet in a less subtle way, stop clicking links whilst doing dangerous activities. Damn!

Your friend must be really stupid. Any pig with half a brain would know not the go to links/sites given by a complete stranger. I don't understand how people can actually fall for that. "It could happen to you at any time if your not prepared"--it would not happen at all if people start to be less gullible.

They can get your ip easily, thats all they need to do it. you don't even need to click on a link even being in an irc chat is a risk as they can get your ip from that alone. :shame: Maybe if you actually read the topic other than the first paragraph you wouldn't be acting like a little ignorant slob.

Not really. These people are finding out the IP of another person (which is quite easy to do) via Ventrilo, I believe. Then again, just by visiting this site you give your IP away. So these DDoSers could also be linking people to a forum post which may contain a signature or avatar that they host on their own server; thus being able to find out your IP address. On the other hand, it may be difficult to find out who exactly the IP belongs to, therefore Ventrilo seems the best option for them to find it out.

Just doing this relatively safe things can result in stuff that you don't expect. You don't assume that anyone would use your IP against you in such a way. Just shows that you can't really trust anyone on the internet...

They can get your ip easily, thats all they need to do it. you don't even need to click on a link even being in an irc chat is a risk as they can get your ip from that alone. :shame:

I'm logged on RS right now, show me my IP. (TIF mods don't count ;) )

slayermask3.png

They can get your ip easily, thats all they need to do it. you don't even need to click on a link even being in an irc chat is a risk as they can get your ip from that alone. :shame:

I'm logged on RS right now, show me my IP. (TIF mods don't count ;) )

I said IRC chat not being logged into RS. Also people can get your ip from being logged into ventrillo/ts servers, clan forums etc.

Why do I get a feeling that you're Theuberelite's alt tif account...? Anyways, just don't click on untrusted links, simple.

:|

like i said there are so many other ways for people to get your ip than clicking links, it isn't exactly hard to do.

Why do I get a feeling that you're Theuberelite's alt tif account...? Anyways, just don't click on untrusted links, simple.

like i said there are so many other ways for people to get your ip than clicking links, it isn't exactly hard to do.

Indeed, visiting this forum (if you tell me your browser and OS I should be able to find your IP as you've just loaded my signature and/or avatar), joining a "clan" forum, Ventrilo, IRC (DCC etc), the list goes on...

I said IRC chat not being logged into RS. Also people can get your ip from being logged into ventrillo/ts servers, clan forums etc.

I know, that's why you use RS's clan chat system, which works even better than most IM's. I never log in to vent/IRC servers or add randoms on MSN unless they are good friends. Which brings me back to the point of make sure you know your friends.

It doesn't take a genius to have a secure computer, if someone really fails THAT badly at keeping your computer safe reinstall your computer with Linux or Mac OS X and throw out the most over-rated, piece of trash OS in the world, Windows. I'm not sure if Linux/Mac stop DDOS, but they give you near-immunity to millions of viruses, no anti virus required.

slayermask3.png

I know, that's why you use RS's clan chat system, which works even better than most IM's. I never log in to vent/IRC servers or add randoms on MSN unless they are good friends. Which brings me back to the point of make sure you know your friends.

It doesn't take a genius to have a secure computer, if someone really fails THAT badly at keeping your computer safe reinstall your computer with Linux or Mac OS X and throw out the most over-rated, piece of trash OS in the world, Windows. I'm not sure if Linux/Mac stop DDOS, but they give you near-immunity to millions of viruses, no anti virus required.

O god yes who doesn't love the RS clan chat system :roll: Filtered language, you have to be logged onto scape, no scripts, if you kick someone theres no way to invite them back in without everyone getting out the chat and going back in or waiting an hour, can't be logged into two different chats at once.

I have no problem with it. RS Filter's are pretty lenient now, although they DID used to be irritating as hell, I'll give you that. If you manage to have constant problem with the RS censor the way it is, I can see why you would have problem with getting kicked :roll:

You could always open up a web-based IRC client using a free proxy, while using your normal connection for RS. Proxies are typically slow, but for IRC it should be more than enough. Just get a trustable proxy.

slayermask3.png

Things like this are the reasons why JaGEX don't recommend the use of programs like SwiftKit. They also say in the rules not to visit websites advertised in game, if you're on IRC, you should be applying that rule to yourself, they haven't made the rule just so that you 'don't have a fun time' they're there for a very good reason.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

In all honesty is pretty hard to get someones ip if they are smart.

Most, if not all basic virus software and firewalls block out the most simple ip getting methods.

Then as long as you only use well known or run by people you know and trust chat servers and forums you can be assured that all the mods etc who CAN see you're ip aren't gonna pull stunts like this.

Then of course don't click random links. If you don't know the person and the link isn't heading to a major site (eg mysapce, youtube, yahoo etc) don;t hit it.

Sure you can never be 100% safe but most of them time you gotta make an error for them to find these things out, I mean the reall advance ways you're never gonna block; but I doubt some nerdy rs hacker is gonna know or even use such high end methods.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

It isn't something that can be stopped, so all a person can do is prevent it. Don't click on any links or visit any forums where you do not trust the administrators. Also if you have been DDoSed before, make sure you change your IP address (if possible) to prevent future attacks.

15q40gi.png

This is preventable while still making your IP public. For instance, I have a script that I activate that monitors incoming connection requests, and I can choose to deny the request(which is what ussually happens with firewalls), and send back a request. So for every request they send me, I'll send one right back(which would cause them to get overloaded)...

This so far has worked for me. DDOSing is popular in the clan world to prevent people from attending wars...etc. I've had people attempt to DDOS me, which I assumed they got my IP from other clans forums. Another option is to get a new IP(which can be done without uninstalling windows, whoever suggested that..), and then mask your IP. This would probably solve the problem(I havn't tried that yet, as there hasn't been a need...Yet)..

I'm sure there are other solutions. As for the computer illiterate, wait for a generous person to post a guide.

w4M8t.png