Barrows Armor

funion987

[hide=]
Actually no.

Torag minus the hammers, is great for defence actually, actually the best.

Guthan, well guthan is great for slayer...everone should know that.

Verac, is great for dule arena, and for boss monsters, one example is the Kalphite queen.

Dharock, when used right is great to see some of the highest hits in runescape (max is 110? I really dont know)

Karils, eh... this one might be noob for the entier set. However, it can hit very hard and fast for ranged.

Ahrims, might be the worse, the full set of armor is great for mage, but besides that nothing eles.

TORAGS: You're wrong. Torags has the EXACT SAME defense bonuses as guthans and dharoks. The helm and legs also match the corresponding veracs pieces (but are inferior since Veracs gives prayer). So no, it's not the best. It's equal or worse.

GUTHAN: Obsolete really. Bunyip/Unicorn/SGS/Excalibur/Pizzas/Regen Brace/Rapid Heal have pretty much replaced every single one of its viable uses. Sure it's still GOOD in some places, but in no where I know of is it the BEST.

VERAC: Agreed on PvP, but it's worthless for boss monsters. As said before, it's GOOD, but not the BEST. Godswords deal with TDs, GWD, and DKS much better and the KQ is official obsolete as a boss monster.

DHAROK: The max is a perfect 99 on another player. Yes, it's great for the high hits. Agreed.

KARIL: Yeah, the xbow is awesome, but the major two turnoffs are irretrievable ammo and it being 2h. It's NOT noob for the rest of the set. It's the second best magic defense in the game. Only Armadyl is better, which costs like 20x more, and Armadyl gives negative melee attack bonuses. Only truly worthless piece is the coif.

AHRIMS: Agreed, but who else except a mage would use mage armor anyway? It's good for mages, and that's all that matters. The staff isn't so good, and the Farseer can compete with the hood, but the top and bottom is awesome.

[/hide]

True on Ahrims, I didnt think about the defence of it. :wall:

I still have to disagree with torag though. I used it all the time when I did do combat, and it seems to have the best defence is the game, but then again I might be wrong.

Ah well, if i ever do combat again, it will be with torag ;)

EDIT:1000th post im so happy :D

Well the best defense in the game is actually the PvP armors coupled with a Dragonfire shield or Elysian Spirit Shield (or the other one, you get what I mean). But if you compared the stats of Torags Legs, Dharoks Legs, Veracs Skirt, and Guthans Skirt, you'll find they're the same. So they're really equal.

Actually that's a lie, because Veracs is the best of the 4 (prayer bonus). But if you look at defenses alone, they're all the same.

Although Torags does tend to be the cheapest, you have to watch those prices carefully. Dharoks is currently the cheapest platebody.

Zaaps your wrong on the defences.

Torags and guthan's helms are tied for top defence, then it's veracs with less ranged def but pray bonus, then dharoks.

Torags, dharoks and guthan's plates have the same def, then veracs has lacks alot of defence on all faces but again, has prayer bonus.

Torags and dharoks tie on top defence for the legs, then veracs skirt has less ranged def but prayer bonus (and weighs less), then guthans skirt falls behind on almost all defence.

So you see, torags on the whole is the best defence, as the others all havea part that lacks, whereas torags is always the best.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only barrow armour that is close to useless is guthans, since 68 summoning beats it to the ground, and is really easy to get.

The others are all really good, in one way or another.

Guthans is still effective in say, the Fight Caves, right?

Not really, most people doing the caves realize the hassle and costs of bringing Guthans into the fight caves. Most people would just continually range with a huge prayer bonus anyways, and it would still be far cheaper than using guthans. (Prayer potions + Broad bolt & Rune C'bow method is really inexpensive and gets the job well done)

Care to explain the "cost" of bringing guthan's when it saves your prayer pots? I did it with a verac hybrid outfit too, but you really can't say guthan's is costlier.

Guthan's has no prayer bonus, and you must pray after the 360s start coming.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Barrows kicks Bandos's [wagon] in almost every possible situation. +1 hit max vs taking about half the damage you would with any other armour, it doesn't take a genius to decide which is better there. Unless you train on yaks/rock crabs with 70+ def (in which case your a bit of an idiot...), barrows is better.

Someone at your level should know better. If I use bunyip, there's almost nothing I kill that hurts me more than bunyip heals. That makes my armor's defensive stats irrelevant. I wear bandos all the time. I hit higher, I don't have to repair it, and I don't need the extra defense. There's a reason that Bandos costs a lot more than Barrows -- it's better. I've got nothing against Barrows -- I used it for a long time. But once you get the Bunyip, you don't need Barrows anymore.

punitivedsig.png

The only barrow armour that is close to useless is guthans, since 68 summoning beats it to the ground, and is really easy to get.

The others are all really good, in one way or another.

Guthans is still effective in say, the Fight Caves, right?

Sara Brews+ Purple Sweets works a lot better there imo

Anyway.. Guthans helped a lot before I reached 68 summoning, but Karils is useful on tasks such as Bloodvelds/Waterfiends/etc.

Barrows armor are not nooby, cheaper yeah, but definitely not nooby.

And to those who said that Bandos was nooby, you guys need a serious reality check. It may not be the best armor for your gp, but it still has nice defensive stats along with offensive and pray bonus. Anyone slaying with either a bunyip or using the SGS spec (with high defence) will find barrows armor to be somewhat of a waste on most monsters.

The best alternative then is to use bandos or proselyte with piety.

Each armor has its use depending on the situation.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

4 years to the date now and people are calling barrows the armour of the noobs although there is nothing that performs better that lasts more than an hour before disappearing.

And a big rofl at those who thing bunyips and ponies are better than guthans.

Best thing I ever summoning was that essence banking stiff and how useful is it to mine essence at 2k an hr for a high level? Lol...

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

4 years to the date now and people are calling barrows the armour of the noobs although there is nothing that performs better that lasts more than an hour before disappearing.

Best thing I ever summoning was that essence banking stiff and how useful is it to mine essence at 2k an hr for a high level? Lol...

If you like switching to an inferior weapon to get an unreliable healing, suit yourself. I'd gladly use my SGS spec of summon a buniyp on a single combat slayer task and keep my xp rates at the top. It certainly is not nooby, but if your aim is maximazing your xp rates, then you're not on the fast track.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Hmm if barrows is considered noob armour, wouldn't that make a wide majority of players noobs? Jokes aside, barrows armour is one of the best armour in my opinion, but they come at the price of you paying for its usage, so it's a situation that you're actually "hiring" the armour for use. Nonetheless, if you take a look at all the armour available for use, excluding PVP armour, barrows by far has the best defence among all the armour available to players; and the best part? It's almost dirt cheap now if you compare their price to that at the period of say the year 2006. Well I could say they're generally good except for Karil's, which has melee defensive stats far worse than black dragonhide, and the dumbest thing in my opinion is that it requires 70 defence to wear some armour which has melee defence stats worse off than one that requires 40.

The coif is an even worse letdown still. At 70 ranged and 70 defence, they only provide such a meagre boost that even Armadyl helm is much, much better than it is. But otherwise, the mage defence from Karil's is rather neat. Never underestimate barrows armour. :thumbsup:

jslim2.png

funny.png

88 summoning achieved: 26/06/09 :)

I resisted selling my guthans for a long time -- we had been through a lot of battles together. But I haven't used it since getting the bunyip. The spear sucks as a weapon. Against a tough monster, it's hard to hit enough to keep up with the damage you're taking. SGS totally powns guthans. I now use three things for healing -- SGS, bunyip and/or bones to peaches. My experience has been that there is no use for guthans when I have those three.

punitivedsig.png

If Barrows armor was "nooby" I wouldn't own nearly every set (except Dharok's).

Pirate Rosetta stone. Learn a language while you scape.

Sounds interesting, but these days how many people really speak Pirate?

Hmm if barrows is considered noob armour, wouldn't that make a wide majority of players noobs? Jokes aside, barrows armour is one of the best armour in my opinion, but they come at the price of you paying for its usage, so it's a situation that you're actually "hiring" the armour for use. Nonetheless, if you take a look at all the armour available for use, excluding PVP armour, barrows by far has the best defence among all the armour available to players; and the best part? It's almost dirt cheap now if you compare their price to that at the period of say the year 2006. Well I could say they're generally good except for Karil's, which has melee defensive stats far worse than black dragonhide, and the dumbest thing in my opinion is that it requires 70 defence to wear some armour which has melee defence stats worse off than one that requires 40.

The coif is an even worse letdown still. At 70 ranged and 70 defence, they only provide such a meagre boost that even Armadyl helm is much, much better than it is. But otherwise, the mage defence from Karil's is rather neat. Never underestimate barrows armour. :thumbsup:

Magical defense armor for Warriors (Not Rangers):

Best is Karil, 2nd is Dragonhide

Karil Vs Dragonhide for Ranged defence:

Karil wins

Karil Vs Dragonhide for Melee defense:

Dragonhide wins.

So both Karil and Dragonhide has great uses.

Karil for a monster that uses Magic and Ranged (Bandos boss room, Boss uses ranged. Magic sergeant uses magic and you are protecting melee)

Dragonhide body for monsters that uses magic and melee (Fight Cave)

Point is, a higher level armour shouldn't have lower stats.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

Err no. Nothing is 'nooby' it's just what people call things they think are worse than them.

The word noob would never exist without relativity. Thank you Einstein!

OT: Barrows armour is great. The only problem is that it is a bit expensive if you use it a lot.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

What armor are you refering to?

Karil's shouldn't have inferior stats to Black d'hide at all, especially not when it has higher requirements

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Karil's shouldn't have inferior stats to Black d'hide at all, especially not when it has higher requirements

But for any smart person, it has much better stats. If you are using karil's, you will either be ranging something, in which you could only get hit by range/mage, which it has higher def, or melleing something that uses a mage based attack, in which it has better stats. If your meleeing something that melee's you, using black d'hide or karil's will both be a bad idea, so the defence won't matter.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

But for any smart person, it has much better stats. If you are using karil's, you will either be ranging something, in which you could only get hit by range/mage, which it has higher def, or melleing something that uses a mage based attack, in which it has better stats. If your meleeing something that melee's you, using black d'hide or karil's will both be a bad idea, so the defence won't matter.

Karil has way better magical defense than D'hide, so it's far from inferior to it. Since Karil and Dhide is armor used mainly for Magical defense.

And....rest that Danqazmlp said. :thumbup:

Karil has way better magical defense than D'hide, so it's far from inferior to it. Since Karil and Dhide is armor used mainly for Magical defense.

You two forget the Coif and crossbow. Those 2 have almost no uses, a cheaper and BETTER alternative can be found with lesser requirements AND cost.

Karil's top and skirt has a total of...+4 more ranged defence. Magic defence is perfectly fine, Karil's top and skirt has a total of 13 less stab, 10 less slash, and 15 less crush. This means a set of armour that requires +30 more defence levels, give on average, ONLY 80% of the stats of black d'hide. Which costs 1% of the cost of Karil's.

This should NOT happen. A more costly and higher requirement armour should NOT be WEAKER.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

I more often see "noobs" in bandos than in torags (or any barrows for that matter)

Bandos is so overused. Your looks get old really fast when everyone wears it.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

You two forget the Coif and crossbow. Those 2 have almost no uses, a cheaper and BETTER alternative can be found with lesser requirements AND cost.

Karil's top and skirt has a total of...+4 more ranged defence. Magic defence is perfectly fine, Karil's top and skirt has a total of 13 less stab, 10 less slash, and 15 less crush. This means a set of armour that requires +30 more defence levels, give on average, ONLY 80% of the stats of black d'hide. Which costs 1% of the cost of Karil's.

This should NOT happen. A more costly and higher requirement armour should NOT be WEAKER.

This topic is about barrow armor not weapons.

It's simple:

If your gonna be at a enviroment with magical and melee monsters>Use Dragonhide

If your gonna be at enviroment with magical and ranged monsters>Use Karil

If you wanna complain or rant about Karil armor>Go rants forum.

It's simple:

Sorry. Didn't know Karil's coif wasn't armour. :roll:

And you still haven't explain why logically Karil's should have lesser melee defence.

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

It's simple:

Sorry. Didn't know Karil's coif wasn't armour. :roll:

And you still haven't explain why logically Karil's should have lesser melee defence.

The thing is, with sirhemen's line, that's not the case, in an area with magical and melee monsters, people will use melee armour and mage def pray the majority of the time. Karil's doesen't need melee defence, because theres an incredibly limited use for it to have it.

On the topic of the x-bow, at the time of its release, it was without a doubt the strongest ranged weapon in runescape, but time progresses, the bow is much like dragon, at once it was the best, but has been beaten by modern gear.

The same goes for the coif, when barrows was introduced, it was the best defence ranged helm in the game, and has always been fairly cheap, so has always been quite worth it.

zqXeV.jpg

You two forget the Coif and crossbow.

Karils armor is suited for rangers, Karil was a ranger.

Combat triangle says that a ranger is weak to melee, a mage weak to range and a melee weak to magic. So shouldn't Karils armory which is a range armor have those stats?

Also, does Karil need to be superior in melee defense to Dhide? No.