Earth_Poet

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price manipulation is legal

no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

You just proved his point. No where on that page, or on Jagex's page is their an official statement about Price Manipulation in Runescape. Sorry, but merch clans are doing nothing wrong...as of now

Price manipulation IS price fixing. That's like saying America is not USA

no

You just proved his point. No where on that page, or on Jagex's page is their an official statement about Price Manipulation in Runescape. Sorry, but merch clans are doing nothing wrong...as of now

either way runescape is runescape, and there are no rules against price fixing/manipulating for the game of RUNESCAPE. (People are so thick)

w4M8t.png

no

It's actually cornering the market.

Or this in case of stocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pump_and_dump

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

I don't think this is a good idea. The power to solve this problem shouldn't be put in more restrictions. The root problem of buy-outs lies in the GE mechanics. THOSE should be changed.

The biggest problem in the GE buy-outs lies, in my opinion, in the fact that the GE updates so slowly. People can hold onto items for days, even weeks, and totally destroy that market. Same goes for when it gets dumped. You don't want a dumped item when it's still high, so you wait.

Imagine a GE that updated every 20 minutes. Now, a buy-out happens. The price [bleep]es, and after 2 hours (6 updates), it reaches a limit and crashes again. After 4 hours, it's as if nothing happened.

Sure, there would still be buy-outs, but I think the influence will be much smaller.

Another thing where the GE is lacking, is of course price freezing, when no item gets sold because it is either under or overpriced. That's why the GE should be based on offers too. I'm not sure how they could implement this, without being susceptible for manipulation (they could drive prices up without even buying items), but I'm sure there could be some sort of system that prevents this more or less.

[hide=]

no

either way runescape is runescape, and there are no rules against price fixing/manipulating for the game of RUNESCAPE. (People are so thick)

[/hide]

Sorry, but that doesn't protect you from the law.

Truth is, merchants are criminals, and if jagex supports merchanting, then what jagex does is a crime, and you can complain in court about it.

Oh and they don't care about the silly little jagex rules or their game.

Great Idea but Lassiez-Faire is still the best (current method)

1. The problem with allowing clans to control the prices is commodities could rise in price significantly. and if several large clans control the bulk of resources, it will choke the economy.

2. No group of clans will always agree because no one will gain money because everyone will be buying and selling at the same time. there needs to be constant buying and selling to keep prices stable. other wise Runescape will have two economic cycles, dumping and launching

Good idea though, but its best not to fix something that isn't broken

tyluke.png

Tyluke.png

only 2 skills below level 50 :)

no

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Murder is against the law too, yet Runescape lets you kill guards, other players, etc. ...

And it's illegal in the real world, so therefore we should all be up in arms and demanding Jagex do something about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide

Where are the righteously indignant as far as this is concerned?

:lol:

Keep repeating to yourselves... the GE is not a store... prices can go up or down based on the whims of the market...

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

What do you think about removing all caps on the GE, and allowing players to set things at what ever price they want?

All the would remain is a recommenced price based on trades happening, so that could be the only thing that the Scamming clans (merching) could manipulate in this recommended price, which would have very little effect.

It would be extremely hard for RWT to take place do to the anonymity of the GE.

At best a RWT, could do is try and, buy a a rarely traded item for a very high price, but such a trade could cause a red flag to go off.

Prism_Swords.png

[hide=]

no

[/hide]

Sorry, but that doesn't protect you from the law.

Truth is, merchants are criminals, and if jagex supports merchanting, then what jagex does is a crime, and you can complain in court about it.

Oh and they don't care about the silly little jagex rules or their game.

At Rockstar Games HQ:

"You're under arrest, insert President's name here, for murder, gambling, grand theft auto, grand theft, homicide, vehicular homicide, manslaughter, owning a gun without a permit, owning illegal weaponry, encouraging others to break the law, and public nudity."

"Um... but those are games?"

"Sorry, but that doesn't protect you from the law.

Truth is if you support these actions, then what happens in the game is a crime, and you can complain in court about it.

Oh, and the Public Nudity charge occurred this afternoon. When you went out to lunch without your pants. Sorry."

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Dirk, the problem is Jagex won't even consider that, because they put them there to stop RWT. Opening caps does open up opportunity for RWT again. While I don't mind the caps so much, I really hate the price floors and ceilings.

[hide=lordkafei]

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Murder is against the law too, yet Runescape lets you kill guards, other players, etc. ...

And it's illegal in the real world, so therefore we should all be up in arms and demanding Jagex do something about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homicide

Where are the righteously indignant as far as this is concerned?

:lol:

Keep repeating to yourselves... the GE is not a store... prices can go up or down based on the whims of the market...

[/hide]

There is no murder in the game. All of those guards that you kill...they are codes put there for that very purpose in the game. Same goes in PVP worlds. If you are in pking, you are following exactly what was designed in the game. What happened when Jagex decided against luring though? The built the Ditch of Stupidity to make their point.

I don't follow the relevance to your argument. I'm not sure there is even one. It's just a distraction. "What about...what about thieving?" Is that next?

For those that are saying it's not explicitly written in the rules that it price manipulation is illegal, you're right. It doesn't explicitly say it is legal either. And we've already presented evidence that Jagex doesn't favor price manipulation. So that's one of the things I'm pushing for. I want Jagex to make an official post either way, because this current argument isn't favorable to either side.

[hide=tyluke]

Great Idea but Lassiez-Faire is still the best (current method)

1. The problem with allowing clans to control the prices is commodities could rise in price significantly. and if several large clans control the bulk of resources, it will choke the economy.

2. No group of clans will always agree because no one will gain money because everyone will be buying and selling at the same time. there needs to be constant buying and selling to keep prices stable. other wise Runescape will have two economic cycles, dumping and launching

Good idea though, but its best not to fix something that isn't broken

[/hide]

We must be playing two different games, because everything you point out as a reason not to change is exactly what I'm already seeing in the game. Large clans are buying out bulks of resources. There isn't constant buying and selling, it's constantly getting disrupted, because of constant cycles dumping and launching.

[hide=bedman]

I don't think this is a good idea. The power to solve this problem shouldn't be put in more restrictions. The root problem of buy-outs lies in the GE mechanics. THOSE should be changed.

The biggest problem in the GE buy-outs lies, in my opinion, in the fact that the GE updates so slowly. People can hold onto items for days, even weeks, and totally destroy that market. Same goes for when it gets dumped. You don't want a dumped item when it's still high, so you wait.

Imagine a GE that updated every 20 minutes. Now, a buy-out happens. The price [bleep]es, and after 2 hours (6 updates), it reaches a limit and crashes again. After 4 hours, it's as if nothing happened.

Sure, there would still be buy-outs, but I think the influence will be much smaller.

Another thing where the GE is lacking, is of course price freezing, when no item gets sold because it is either under or overpriced. That's why the GE should be based on offers too. I'm not sure how they could implement this, without being susceptible for manipulation (they could drive prices up without even buying items), but I'm sure there could be some sort of system that prevents this more or less.

[/hide]

I don't see how updating the GE faster will do anything but lower the risk even further for merchant clans and quicken the rate of rises and falls. It'd further disrupt any true value of an item, because it would be harder to tell how much it is with the constant shifts in the graphs.

[hide=xxxgod]

idk if this has been written yet as i dont have the time to scrutinize every single post, but wouldnt eliminating set prices eliminate manipulation? also, they could just have (m)SRP for all items so sellers and buyers have a sort of guideline on how to sell an item, but you dont have to follow those rules? like if someone really wanted 5 prayer pots really bad, they are free to pay 10k for each if they like, rather than pay the SRP of ~6k (i believe).

and the GE can still be here, just no price caps. of course expensive items (1m+) could be set to not be allowed to be sold for an insanely low amount (maybe just keep bottom caps for them) to make it so RWT cannot do their nefarious exchanges

[/hide]

It would help some to lift trade caps, but 1) Jagex wouldn't listen to that idea since they put trade caps in to stop RWT, which only keeping bottoms wouldn't eliminate, and 2) as long as everybody is on a one-world order trading system like GE, the potential for manipulation becomes magnified.

rssig2.png

Oh opps, I forgot the most important part of my idea.

There will still be trade caps on player to player trading, it shall be based on the "recommenced" (market price) of the GE, like it is now with trade caps, but the GE's caps will have been changed.

*edit*

I should proofread before I post instead of; posting > proofreading > editing :?

Prism_Swords.png

There is no murder in the game. All of those guards that you kill...they are codes put there for that very purpose in the game. Same goes in PVP worlds. If you are in pking, you are following exactly what was designed in the game. What happened when Jagex decided against luring though? The built the Ditch of Stupidity to make their point.

I don't follow the relevance to your argument. I'm not sure there is even one. It's just a distraction. "What about...what about thieving?" Is that next?

The point is: if you are going to pull real-world comparisons (as many in this thread are doing), then you open the door to throw the entire game out to the rubbish heap.

So when people start throwing in Wikipedia links about cornering the market and such being illegal in the real world, those notions deserve to have scorn poured all over them. IT'S NOT THE REAL WORLD. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

PvP is not for me

The point is: if you are going to pull real-world comparisons (as many in this thread are doing), then you open the door to throw the entire game out to the rubbish heap.

So when people start throwing in Wikipedia links about cornering the market and such being illegal in the real world, those notions deserve to have scorn poured all over them. IT'S NOT THE REAL WORLD. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Its wrong in game, because it is a scam, and scamming IS against the rules.

[hide=>_>]I almost started to 'mini-mod'. Stop SPAMMNG!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@![/hide]

Prism_Swords.png

Jagex obviously does not agree, as the forums are full of recruitment posts.

Not even the trigger-happy forum mods are taking up your cause.

I could go on and on...

If this is so against the rules, why doesn't Jagex intervene? :P

PvP is not for me

I could go on and on...

You already know why Jagex, has not taken action.

The scam is not changing the prices, the scam is telling players to buy items until prices are well above their natural amount, and telling players that they will make millions because of this.

If the clan leaders made no claim that you will make wealth then it would not be a scam.

The reason for no action being taken against scamming clans is that if Jagex, bans the clans leaders they will just go and, make scam clan sites instead of running the clans in game among other things among other things.

Jagex, must fix the way people are using the GE to scam, not fix the people who are scamming, you know this.

Prism_Swords.png

[hide=lordkafei]

I could go on and on...

[/hide]

You have a very good point. If it is against the rules, then why doesn't Jagex intervene? On the other hand, if it isn't against the rules, then why does the CEO of Jagex tell players this:

pricemanipulation.png

That's why we need clarity from Jagex on this issue before we can go on. That was my very first suggestion before anything else.

rssig2.png

master_smither . why are you so anxious to get certain players banned? They are obviously not doing anything illegal. (I see you have now turncoated to not calling it illegal, but "wrong", thats a step in the right direction).

These people are playing the game in a more creative way than most. And although they might be stunting the game for some , what other "good" reason do you have to ban these said people? Other than the idea that people will get "scared and stop".

Most people won't risk their account for 1m a day or so it's just not worth it. Banning them would cause them to quit hurting players which I will discuss later.

That's ludicrous. We aren't all 12 year olds and most of us are capable of free-thinking, meaning that if people want to continue they will continue, banning or not. Do people still try to macro? Do people still try to scam? Do people still try to steal other peoples accounts? Do people try hundreds of ways every day to abuse a flaw in the game system?

If you don't know these answers I'll help you and say yes, yes, yes and yes. Are they all bannable offences? Yes.

When you ban these players you help runescape as a whole so it's a good thing.

I know people richer than some of these merchant clan leaders, and they used their own skills to get their fortunes, combined with the luck of having played early in the game when certain items were dropped. Meaning that if they were to sell just 10-20 of certain items, they could, and would, outmatch any merchant clan leader, enabling them to corner the market however they seem fit. These people have every right to do so and I suppose you want these people banned as well, for the childish reason of "ruining the game for others", an arguement that is so used and abused in this debate, that it cannot be taken seriously anymore. People use this arguement to for their own selfish needs, as they in reality couldn't give a flying fluck about other people, but care about their own fortune, and we all know thats the truth 9 out of 10 times.

Well those "others" need to get off their rear and find another method of enjoyment and stop being so narrowsighted.

They arn't ruining the game for others the leaders lie to their members and tell them to dump days after they actually did and tell them to buy days after. Most players in up losing money from price manipulator clans. Of course you'll say "they have every right not to join them and participate. Yes thats true but when they buy out an item like super attack pots along with irits and irit seeds people can't buy the pots, make the pots, or get herbs for the pots. This hurts the players directly making them not able to train as efficiently as they should have been just because some people decided to have 100K+ of them in their bank for the only reason to manipulate others and make money.

So its now seemingly boiling down to the general consensus being, that a group of people should be banned if they are making a larger group of people not enjoy the game. According to your logic and the logic of several others. So what else does this include? Clan pking? Shouldn't the leaders also be banned, since they also are leading a large group of people to greatness, and at the same time stepping on other people to get there? :roll:

You can choose to never log into a pvp world in your life but you don't have a choice if the item you want suddenly gets bought out and either makes you pay more for it or they can't get it at all. They hurt players directly and the players can't do anything about it. That was considered a bannable offence when I first started but the rules have changed.

At least find some stronger arguements that might actually lead to something constructive. Because all these lame arguements for why clan merchants are such monsters are starting to piss me and alot of other people off. Sounds more like a bunch of spoiled teenagers who had their favourite toy broken, than people who want to solve this problem in a method where both sides feel their wishes have been met.(I guess thats too much to ask from a bunch of kids, but please feel free to prove me wrong!) But I guess thats a little too much to ask, from people who seemingly have so much hatred for another group of people, they they only see things from a hate-perspective. Which is one word - pathetic.

I have been offering the same strong arguments this entire thread and the thread before this it is that they hurt players and the players can't do anything about it. You and the others who support these price manipulators havn't provided us with one strong argument that has lasted the length of this thread yet. If you have one I realy want to here it.

On a side note. (I can't believe I'm saying this again). Please abstain from drawing parallels from real life events to Runescape. The only point you make clear when doing this is, that you fail to see that there is a difference between a virtual world, and the real world.

There are millions of factors that play into the real world market, and the real world market is also not controlled by fascists (Jagex). The simple fact that Runescape market is a controlled market in the first place differentiates the two markets on such a large scale that the RS economy might as well be on the planet Pluto.

I tend not to reference things to real life because I own this is a game and I'm pretty sure I havn't said anything about real life and runescape being related.

I know this post contains alot of negativity towards some and for that I truly apologize, but please try to see this as a wake-up call, not just to those people but to all of us.

My closing words will be these;

Instead of bickering, arguing, pointing fingers and witch-hunting, let us come together as a gaming community is capable of, and raise the bar to a higher standard, that being striving towards a common goal. A common goal being to improve the gameplay by contributing with positive input and not seeing the opposing part as your enemy, but your friend, albeit a wayward friend, but still a friend. One who you wish to help by constructive criticism, and not by being a loud-mouthed baby (babies cry when they want something, I've seen alot of crying here). Because face it.

I havn't seen anyone saying "omg they are meanies and they are bad n st00f" without giving a reason to why they are bad for Runescape.

Those players aren't going to just magically disappear.

They will also still be around, just like you, and who knows what potential positive input these players are capable of?

They've already proven themselves capable of thinking outside the box, something which should be rewarded, not criticized.

Abusing a system is thinking outside the box? Maybe but if your doing it and hurting others it's not something Jagex likes players to do. If your saying abusing a system is thinking outside the box then the same can be said about the people who found noclip glitchs which caused to millions being rwt'd and many people getting advantages over others. They thought outside of the box and found ways to no clip to places does that make them in the right? No infact it makes them in the wrong and many of these people get banned for doing this.

I sumed alot of this up but it's late and I don't have time to reply to everything you said.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

Try the "hide" option next time.

I'll respond in the same order as you have responded.

1) You are missing the point. First off the offence is not bannable and if it was, people would still do it until the root of the problem is solved. That was my point.

Less people would do it. And once you've banned the big ones, a lot less capital can be invested with manipulating.

2) No they aren't manipulating. They are merchanting with the means granted to them by the game. Get your facts straight.

They are. They can change the market how they want; or so you've said.

3) Read #1.

4) The general consensus did. Are you not reading?

As far I'm awared people are just against a larger group of people profiting of a smaller part with the abuse of the game mechanics.

5) I'm not comparing trading to pking. I'm comparing the ideology both are based on, that ideology being that a group of people coming together will always be better than a single person. (Why do I even bother responding :roll: )

You ARE comparing pking to trading. A player can choose to avoid pking. They cannot avoid the Grand Exchange.

6) No comment, other than at least I have a standpoint. What's yours? Other than being a suck-up.

I stated my standpoint in my previous comment. I thought it was rather clear I want to get them banned.

How is it narrow-sighted to ban price manipulators

7) It's not your game just because mommy and daddy pay $5 a month, remember that.

I don't have a daddy. And I pay for my membership myself.

8) How personal am I getting when I write "a bunch of kids"?

You're calling people that try to prove you wrong a kid(in advance). I have no doubt you are using it in a negative sense.

9) Cornering the market is a sleazy affair in real life, and yes you go to prison. However please state where you go to prison in Jagex rules, also please document where people have to do anything by force on Runescape. No one is forcing you to buy, but in real life there are certain necessities such as food, and you have to pay the price, or steal it and become a criminal yourself. Its also common knowledge that people who manipulate prices of non-vital commodities in real life take advantage of the greedy consumer. So you can blaim the people who buy the product as well.

No one is forcing you to buy stuff? Everyone buys stuff, even in Runescape. :thumbdown: .

100% self-sufficient gamers don't exist.

10) I bet alot of things are new to you. But please learn to read full sentences. I wrote "the real world market is also not controlled by fascists ". You broke it down only as an illiterate is capable of doing, that being not reading the full sentence therefore understanding it wrong.

Jagex tries to let the GE mechanic control the market. They rarely intervene.

11) Fascism is when a place, in this instance, Runescape, is controlled by a single party. That party being Jagex. I'm not here to tutor you though. I'd also love to go further into Fascism, but this post was meant to appeal to people like you, so I feel no need to dumb it down for one person.

Personal attack. Please restate this without calling me dumb and I'll gladly reply. :roll:

12) Your last comment underlines the fact that you more than likely are illiterate, or just "slow". Please learn, that there is, for example, a difference between calling someone an idiot without a reason. And calling someone an idiot, stating the reason, and than continuing to suggest how to solve the problem. In fact that is the whole essence of constructive criticism. Saying things bluntly but also following up with something constructive.

Last time I checked constructive criticism didn't include calling the person in question an idiot :?

It was just stating what the person is doing wrong, and telling them how it should be done.

And is your lack of arguments the reason you are playing me down #-o

Please give this a good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy