A REAL Solution to Price Manipulation

Earth_Poet

Well, this thread turned into the same thing as all the rest. I guess everybody's more interested in flaming. "Merchants" don't want to change, apparently because it's just a game, and it's not my game, it's our game, and as long as it's our game, they can do whatever they want. I guess they really mean it's their game. I hope they do make set prices now. Have fun guys.

rssig2.png

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this thread turned into the same thing as all the rest. I guess everybody's more interested in flaming. "Merchants" don't want to change, apparently because it's just a game, and it's not my game, it's our game, and as long as it's our game, they can do whatever they want. I guess they really mean it's their game. I hope they do make set prices now. Have fun guys.

My post isn't really pointed at you directly JP, but everyone as a whole..

When you think about it, is freezing prices really a bad thing? Its basically a shop with players stocking it.

But when EVERYTHING is frozen, is it really an issue? You coal is always worth 150 everytime you sell. Your raw and cooked sharks are always worth 800 each. Your bandos godsword is always worth 20M.

In reality, in a fixed market everyone only buys items they actually plan to keep, and the only people who don't benefit are those who buy items simply to sell them back later for profit. Honestly, this is the way it should be. I hope they DO fix prices, because it would make it more fair for the vast majority of the community. No more worries about Inflation, or money coming into the economy or this or that being overpriced/bought out. And freezing prices is about the only solution I have seen on this thread that will actually fix the problem.

Alot of games (including MMORPG's) have fixed prices. It dosen't ruin the fun out of it at all. I almost see RS more successful if they freeze prices.

dawnsigblue-3.png

So, what happens to the people who solo merchant an item and a clan starts to manipulate that item? I can see a lot of wrongful bans over such a solution. I for one would rather have little or no action taken than wrongful bans left and right. If Jagex simply stated a threat such as banning players over manipulation (even a false threat) and showed up in some merchanting clans to preach, then I would feel a bit more comfortable. I think we could do with some ground control before any drastic and sudden updates. See where it goes from there.

I personally am only annoyed when I can't buy an item due to it being manipulated, and that doesn't happen too often anymore as I have learned to stockpile a variety of items in my bank. Just the same, I don't mind when an item I am selling is being manipulated, as I make a larger profit than I otherwise would have. I've come to adapt with the manipulation clans. I don't mind if action is taken, just as long as there are no wrongful bannings.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

My post isn't really pointed at you directly JP, but everyone as a whole..

When you think about it, is freezing prices really a bad thing? Its basically a shop with players stocking it.

But when EVERYTHING is frozen, is it really an issue? You coal is always worth 150 everytime you sell. Your raw and cooked sharks are always worth 800 each. Your bandos godsword is always worth 20M.

In reality, in a fixed market everyone only buys items they actually plan to keep, and the only people who don't benefit are those who buy items simply to sell them back later for profit. Honestly, this is the way it should be. I hope they DO fix prices, because it would make it more fair for the vast majority of the community. No more worries about Inflation, or money coming into the economy or this or that being overpriced/bought out. And freezing prices is about the only solution I have seen on this thread that will actually fix the problem.

Alot of games (including MMORPG's) have fixed prices. It dosen't ruin the fun out of it at all. I almost see RS more successful if they freeze prices.

The problem with fixing prices comes when the natural price moves out of the range of the set price. BGS's might always be 20 mill, but I would put good money down that selling one for that much would take quite some time; especially after you leave it there for a couple months and more BGS's come into the game and lower their value.

The only items I could see with a set price would be basic commodities like logs and ores, but even those can have massive fluctuations in price because of updates. What happens when a new, awesome use for logs that doesn't interfere or deter from their current uses is released or discovered? The demand for them will rise without an increase in supply and the price will (permanently) rise and, with set prices, make them (extremely) hard to buy.

Jagex could monitor this and change prices manually when necessary, but why do that when they can just let prices fluctuate on their own and find/use a different tactic for ending price manipulation? Using the banhammer and/or lowering prices of bought-out items right in the middle of the buyout might take some effort to begin with, but once the presence of merchant clans has significantly decreased or, possibly, disappeared altogether, they could just leave a detection system in place on the GE to tell them if another merchant clan comes along.

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

^^you're seriously an idiot...

Yes, idiots always have proof and valid arguments to back up their claims, whereas inteligent people insult others without any constructive criticism.

Proof and valid arguments?!? There is nothing valid about your argument. You argue that Jagex could be punished by some sort of judicial system if they don't do something about price manipulation. I'm curious, is this the MMORPG Police that handle this? British Government? International Law?...Lol seriously.

[hide=This is what you said!!]

Price manipulation is legal

no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

You just proved his point. No where on that page, or on Jagex's page is their an official statement about Price Manipulation in Runescape. Sorry, but merch clans are doing nothing wrong...as of now

Price manipulation IS price fixing. That's like saying America is not USA

either way runescape is runescape, and there are no rules against price fixing/manipulating for the game of RUNESCAPE. (People are so thick)

Sorry, but that doesn't protect you from the law.

Truth is, merchants are criminals, and if jagex supports merchanting, then what jagex does is a crime, and you can complain in court about it.

Oh and they don't care about the silly little jagex rules or their game.

[/hide]

Someone should call the military or NASA, because Jagex also PROVED that teleportation is possible. (and how to do it, obviously)

Somebody needs to get off the happy pills and discover the meaning of real and imaginary. (-1^(1/2))

w4M8t.png

you say price manipulation i say merchanting. its all supply and demand. it happens everyday in the real world. you can whine and cry over it, or face reality and live with it. its been around since before you even played this game, and will be around long after you stopped

Dragon Drops: 5 medium helmet, 3 left shield half

Obby: Maul 1, Cape 1, Shield 1

you say price manipulation i say merchanting. its all supply and demand. it happens everyday in the real world. you can whine and cry over it, or face reality and live with it. its been around since before you even played this game, and will be around long after you stopped

Supply and demand eh? Ya sure you can call it that but when you create demand and cut off supply your altering with the economy is a negative way. When there was price manipulation before the GE it was small and only lasted for hours and usually would only effect big time items such as rares or high level armour. There was no way possible to buy out every single super attack potion preGE because there was always this one herlorist out there willing to sell to you. It's not realy supply and demand and it wasn't there as much as it is now. I suggest you come up with some valid points and change the tone if you want to be taken seriously.

This thread is to come up with ideas to benifit both sides so noone gets hurt very much. It seems as this has become yet another what is right and what is wrong thread and I'm sure if it continues this way we won't get anything done and these ideas would be in vain because of a few people who decided to take this thread in the wrong direction.

Once more.....this thread is to discuss ideas to fix the GE and benifit both sides so get back to that topic!

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

I honestly think it will fix itself. The leaders of these clans are buying these items for a few days before they release the item to the rest of the clan. If someone else(not a leader, but yet fairly wealthy) was able to stockpile multiple items, and then be aware of when items were being manipulated, they could continuously dump before the leader does, which would cause the leaders to lose out as well.

If enough wealthy people who were angry with manipulation were able to do this, it would put fear into the eyes of people leading merchant clans, and help cease their existance.

Another thought is this. If merchant clans hurt the lower level members so much, then at some point people will no longer partake as they know that it can have a huge risk. The leaders rely on these peons. No peons = no merchant clans.

I think Jagex should give it a while before they do anything about it. As of now, it's not that big of an issue. So you spend a little bit more on an item, again all you have to do is try something else for a few days(which is good for you. Teaches you you can't always do what you want), and then take advantage when the market crashes.

w4M8t.png

This is a very good idea but there have been many other great ideas posted on this forum.

My only worry is Jagex will take this idea, which is a very good one, and change it to fit their ideas, whatever they may be.

I also believe this belongs in the suggestions forum? ::'

Jamje.png

null and void

Okay, I have rewritten my idea in a clearer manner (hopefully).

What do you think about removing all caps on the GE, and allowing players to set things at what ever price they want?

All that would remain is a recommenced price based on trades happening similar to the 'market price' we have now.

There will still be trade caps on player to player trading, it shall be based on the 'recommenced' (market price) of the GE, like it is now with trade caps, but the GE's caps will have been changed.

It would be extremely hard for RWT to take place do to the anonymity of the GE.

At best a RWT, could do is try and, buy a a rarely traded item for a very high price, but such a trade could cause a red flag to go off, and Jagex, would check into it..

This may seem simple, but simple ideas normally are the best.

Tell me what you think.

Prism_Swords.png

^^you're seriously an idiot...

Yes, idiots always have proof and valid arguments to back up their claims, whereas inteligent people insult others without any constructive criticism.

Proof and valid arguments?!? There is nothing valid about your argument. You argue that Jagex could be punished by some sort of judicial system if they don't do something about price manipulation. I'm curious, is this the MMORPG Police that handle this? British Government? International Law?...Lol seriously.

[hide=This is what you said!!]

Price manipulation is legal

no

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

You just proved his point. No where on that page, or on Jagex's page is their an official statement about Price Manipulation in Runescape. Sorry, but merch clans are doing nothing wrong...as of now

Price manipulation IS price fixing. That's like saying America is not USA

either way runescape is runescape, and there are no rules against price fixing/manipulating for the game of RUNESCAPE. (People are so thick)

Sorry, but that doesn't protect you from the law.

Truth is, merchants are criminals, and if jagex supports merchanting, then what jagex does is a crime, and you can complain in court about it.

Oh and they don't care about the silly little jagex rules or their game.

[/hide]

Someone should call the military or NASA, because Jagex also PROVED that teleportation is possible. (and how to do it, obviously)

Somebody needs to get off the happy pills and discover the meaning of real and imaginary. (-1^(1/2))

if you didn't know, kid, people can actually get sued, even if it's because of something over the internet

http://www.google.com/search?q=pirate+b ... tartPage=1

btw -1^(1/2) = -1 . Where's your math?

The root of -1 isn't -1.....

that's (-1)^(1/2) not -1^(1/2)

http://www10.wolframalpha.com/input/?i= ... 281%2F2%29

http://www10.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=-1%5E%281%2F2%29

I guess that makes 2 people that need to go back to school

You didn't really specifically state that ;)

And how does the statement ''The root of -1 isn't -1'' means I should go back to school? :?

And please stop calling people kids, I doubt you are much over 16 anyways.

And how does the statement ''The root of -1 isn't -1'' means I should go back to school? :?

I'm not the one that was making the math problems here so don't tell me I made a mistake, tell n64jive that, and don't try to make it look like you're cool after you made a mistake and blame it on other people

if you didn't noticed, I was arguing with some guy here, and it's not a good idea to just come in the middle of a discusion, say something ill-thought and expect to be "cool" because you're just gonna make people angry in the end

also: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=metaphor

edit: I am actually over 16, but I tend to call people "kids" when they bluntly show immaturity. Note that a kid can be more mature than a grown man, it's just a stereotype to expect kids to be immature and grown people to be mature. Just like saying women can't drive or all black people like to rap.

I'm not the one that was making the math problems here so don't tell me I made a mistake, tell n64jive that, and don't try to make it look like you're cool after you made a mistake and blame it on other people

if you didn't noticed, I was arguing with some guy here, and it's not a good idea to just come in the middle of a discusion, say something ill-thought and expect to be "cool" because you're just gonna make people angry in the end

edit: I am actually over 16, but I tend to call people "kids" when they bluntly show immaturity. Note that a kid can be more mature than a grown man, it's just a stereotype to expect kids to be immature and grown people to be mature. Just like saying women can't drive or all black people like to rap.

Sorry but in this situation, you were both showing blatant immaturity from what i see, but you seem to the the one antagonising others. You've gone way off topic, if you want to discuss maths problems, i'm sure theres somewhere you can do it in OT.

And as for the topic of laws, Jagex, military whatnot from the few quotes above, can people get real? Its a game, nothing goe's above the developers/producers in this instance, nothing, sue them for all you want you wouldn't make a penny. You can't seriously discuss anything on that line to be honest.

But yeah, still liking some other suggestions.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

[hide=]

Sorry but in this situation, you were both showing blatant immaturity from what i see, but you seem to the the one antagonising others. You've gone way off topic, if you want to discuss maths problems, i'm sure theres somewhere you can do it in OT.

And as for the topic of laws, Jagex, military whatnot from the few quotes above, can people get real? Its a game, nothing goe's above the developers/producers in this instance, nothing, sue them for all you want you wouldn't make a penny. You can't seriously discuss anything on that line to be honest.

I don't think you know what off topic means, and I hardly think you know what was going on, seeing as you didn't even check your post.

In short: he was giving 2 examples and you failed to see the point in them, you shouldn't had taken them seriously.

As for the rest, you clearly don't know what you're talking about, read and check the links, and stop using "whatnot" because that leads to "yeah, whatever, I don't care" and then you mind as well not post at all. If you don't make a useful imput on that subject, you're not going to make a differance, and in the end, you'll only waste your time.

To make it simple enough for you to understand, www.piratebay.com got sued for millions of dolars, and it was JUST an internet site, something a lot less than jagex

But at this point I just feel like wasting my time, and going too deep in this, as people here don't understand the fact that Jagex can actually be gone because of this. I don't expect other people to understand what's going on, people that didn't saw things like this happen before.[/hide]

What if Jagex made an example of some of the merchant clans? Many veteran players knows which clans I'm referring to. Just banning perhaps the major players in them and posting their names on the front page as a warning could serve as a very well warning. If people see these high-profiled people banned from the game for doing this, I highly doubt anyone else would be dumb enough to continue. Even if there are people still left wanting to play a part in manipulating, it would be a lot weaker than it is now.

P.S. Let's keep the discussion on topic >.>

120dgl.jpg

this thread is to discuss ideas to fix the GE and benifit both sides so get back to that topic!

My Solution: Freeze Price ranges with a 20% instant buy and 20% instant sell option.

And before you think i'm kidding, actually read the idea. It caters to almost every party and gives alot of benefits. Ive run this idea through several people including merchants, non-merchants, and even people who feel free trade should come back, all of which agreed it could work.

In this idea, prices are frozen on the G.E. with options to instantly buy an item from the game for 20% above the medium price, and an option to instant sell an item to the game for 20% below the medium price.

Example: Coal

Price range on G.E.: 135 min - 150 med - 165 high

Instant Buy: 170gp

Instant Sell: 120gp

Why this system would work? It freezes prices in a certain range so people cannot manipulate them. The instant buy options keep items from being bought out and an item is available at all times (at a higher cost). The instant sell prevents items from being unsellable. The instant buy/sell are both 20% apart from the median price so player offers will be more economical than the game's options thus keeping player trade a valuable part of the game.

The perk of this system is, with the instant buy/sell, items well ALWAYS balance out so the supply = demand. So in the end it will encourage players trading once a supply/demand has balanced out.

Another example is something like fire runes. Once this system comes in place, everyone with massive amounts of fire runes will instant sell them. At this point there will be a huge reduction in fire runes and the supply will eventually equal the demand, thus having players able to sell them to others.

The instant sell does bring money into the game, but the instant buy also takes a HUGE amount of money out. This system would keep prices within their ranges without items becoming "junk trades" since players can *buy* them from the G.E. store at 20% above the mid price. This ensures players offers are better than the games offers keeping player trade useful.

What about shops? Shops also sell at the 20% above medium price to keep player trade flowing. Shops buy items at the 20% below mid price, so as to not interfere with the G.E.

What about Rares? Rares are set in value just like any other items, but they are now a symbol of wealth and not just of having a *rare* item.

Rares can be instantly bought at 20% above min price, however they can also be instantly sold 20% below min price. So while buying them from G.E might bring more into the game, if to many come in and they are sold to G.E. 20% below min, the items will be taken out, decreasing the supply. So, while you might be able to purchase rares in a G.E. store, it will not effect the rarity of value of the item since they can be taken out of the game just as quickly.

What about Junk Trades? Junk trades would not exist anymore since all items could be instantly sold for 20% below medium price. This makes it more fair to everyone.

What about newly released items? New items on release will not be able to be instantly bought until 1-2 weeks after the item comes out. This ensures massive items cannot enter the game upon release making the update pointless.

What about individual merchants not abusing the system? Legit merchants could still benefit from this update as they can look at the G.E. trade information and, if predicted right, can buy items on minimum and median to sell for maximum player trade prices.

The whole goal of the 20% instant buy/sell is to keep prices of items in the min-med-max ranges so it will encourage player to player trade in and outside of the G.E. and will NOT allow people to manipulate items.

dawnsigblue-3.png

[hide=]

I don't think you know what off topic means, and I hardly think you know what was going on, seeing as you didn't even check your post.

In short: he was giving 2 examples and you failed to see the point in them, you shouldn't had taken them seriously.

As for the rest, you clearly don't know what you're talking about, read and check the links, and stop using "whatnot" because that leads to "yeah, whatever, I don't care" and then you mind as well not post at all. If you don't make a useful imput on that subject, you're not going to make a differance, and in the end, you'll only waste your time.

To make it simple enough for you to understand, www.piratebay.com got sued for millions of dolars, and it was JUST an internet site, something a lot less than jagex

But at this point I just feel like wasting my time, and going too deep in this, as people here don't understand the fact that Jagex can actually be gone because of this. I don't expect other people to understand what's going on, people that didn't saw things like this happen before.[/hide]

Sorry, but what? I'm trying to understand what your saying here. I know what off topic means, maths calculations aren't on topic, trust me, so if thats what your psot way trying to say, then please, understand that. And as for piratebay, do you understand the difference between a website dedicated to pirating music, and a games company? If you seriously think jagex can get sued or have anything happen to them in the real world due to price manipulation, you need your head examined.

Yeah, I think if jagex made a public post it would detter a majority of the people who jump on the bandwagon, but as you say, it wouldn't kill of the whole lot, there would still be people risking it to try and make quick millions.

Edit(Briante): I read the whole thign and it sounds workable, but, (not sure if i missed this in your post) what about if for example a new item comes out, with everything frozen in price, the item could be going for much to less/too high, and bring in tons of the new item on release. If that system was in place when dragon claws came out, they would still be Around 100k, instantly buyable, tormented demons pointless money-wise, and we would all be able to buy any new item on release.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Edit(Briante): I read the whole thign and it sounds workable, but, (not sure if i missed this in your post) what about if for example a new item comes out, with everything frozen in price, the item could be going for much to less/too high, and bring in tons of the new item on release. If that system was in place when dragon claws came out, they would still be Around 100k, instantly buyable, tormented demons pointless money-wise, and we would all be able to buy any new item on release.

You are correct in that, If a situation did come up like claws (for 400k) if Jagex saw to many were purchased they could easily raise the price manually.

But the reason I didn't mention that, is because I feel that is more an issue of Jagex doing their homework beforehand on how much an item really is worth, rather than a function of the system I proposed.

Still, prices can be adjusted manually by Jagex if the need to do so arises under extreme circumstances such as that.

EDIT: I forgot to add, new items on release should not be able to be instantly bought until 1-2 weeks after the item comes out. I will add that to my main post!

dawnsigblue-3.png

first off, -1^(1/2) is ussually represented as i where you treat -1 as it's own number. Most programs treat -1 as -1*1, which in order of operations, you would do the exponent first. Goto ms calculator and type in -1^.5, it all depends on the programming methods used. But your right, for safety, you should put parentheses around the -1. As for the difference between hosting a torrent website that allows copyright protected information to be redistributed and Jagex not doing something about manipulation of their own currency that they created...well, I'll let you figure that one out on your own, as you seem to have issues seeing the big picture, and instead argue your small point.

As for freezing prices and instant buys, I think it could have adverse effects. I feel it would get rid of demand, as the item would always be available. Like I said, who knows. Whatever Jagex implements, I'd bed 10 to 1 odds that it will make more people mad then happy.

w4M8t.png

You are correct in that, If a situation did come up like claws (for 400k) if Jagex saw to many were purchased they could easily raise the price manually.

But the reason I didn't mention that, is because I feel that is more an issue of Jagex doing their homework beforehand on how much an item really is worth, rather than a function of the system I proposed.

Still, prices can be adjusted manually by Jagex if the need to do so arises under extreme circumstances such as that.

EDIT: I forgot to add, new items on release should not be able to be instantly bought until 1-2 weeks after the item comes out. I will add that to my main post!

It's a pretty good idea, but a frozen price is not a good thing IMO. Look at seers rings. Imagine the prize was still frozen at 400k (price 2 years ago). Everybody would have sold these rings 2 years long for min, gaining 320k each ring, in stead of the 100k or whatever, they should get.

Now, you will come up with Jagex intervening, but seriously, they can't even make the GE work atm, when there needs to be very few, but still a few, adjustments to be done. Imagine a GE with frozen prices where dozens of items need to be updated a day. Nope, frozen items is a big no-no for me, it's just not natural.

I really think the only solution is a quickly updating GE. I'm not sure how hard it is to implement, but a GE that updates every 5 minutes is nearly like a free market. Buy-outs can still happen, but just like before the GE, they wouldn't last long. Sadly, this leaves a loophole for RWT who can manipulate an uncommon item and let it go up 100% or whatever, in just a few hours. But I'm sure that can be prevented too.

edit: nvm

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~