10th July 2009 - The Jagex Anti-Hijack System and DevBlog

Mil

38% would definitely buy one if money wasn't an issue, because of that I think it's a good move. No one has to buy one and quite a lot of people really like the idea.

I think they'll be rather disappointed when they find out that the vast majority of that 38% are f2p preteens who can't get their hands on one. :lol:

They asked the wrong questions.

The first question was "if you could have one, would you use it?" and a lot of people probably thought "omg I won't get hacked, ok."

The second question was "how much would you be willing to pay?" Whereas it should have been "at what price would you actually buy one" in which case most people would have voted they wouldn't have gotten one.

2496 Completionist

Since the new CEO was hired, Runescape is going downhill.

emot-dogout.gif Your sentiment is shared by a tiny minority. Downhill? Yea, because I loved the old days where mentioning Tip.It or saying [wagon] would get your muted, where bots ruled the game, and I couldn't make a single post on the RSOF marketplace forums without every offer being "lol com to neer egevil wildy, ill traed u there" because every 10 year old and his brother thought they were a l337 scammer.

One of the basic-principles is abondened. Everyone is equal, you won't get advantages through buying. But now 'poor IRL' F2P'ers will suffer.

Good job, new CEO. I want Andrew back :( . I miss the BTS as well.

They'll "suffer"? How? Are they suffering now? No? Then be quiet. Yes? Then nothing will change.

Also, Andrew hasn't been CEO since 2001. Constant Tedder was CEO, followed by Geoff Iddison, followed by Mark Gerhard. But don't worry about facts, they're usually biased.

Now whole accounts are bought. Yay. And some of the most-loved parts of the game are taken away.

Furthermore, it's not fair in my opinion that some F2P'er have more bankspace than other F2P'ers, just because they can afford it.

sigdk2fa4.png

Here's my blog: restoring it soon | Achieved 99 Crafting

Quoting yourself is laaaaame

Personally I don't care if they sell the security device or not. I do however have a major problem with in-game incentives to buy something from Jagex. If they start with that what is to stop them from adding in-game incentives to purchases made from their shop? What's next, free dragon plate with the purchase of a t-shirt? Slippery slope that should not even be started going down.

For those that say Jagex wouldn't go there, if this happens what will stop all the kiddies from asking for in-game incentives to buy things from the store?

^^ Heavily disagree with you there Michaael.

The updates are good it's the players who want sailing and old wilderness back that suck.

I wasn't saying either of those, I couldn't care less about sailing or the old wilderness. I'm talking about bugs.

Boss monsters weren't fighting back during one update, and Mobilising Armies caused players to lose huge amounts of cash. I'm just feeling cautious about anything new they put out now :?

On the note of the device itself, it sounds awesome. I'm definitely buying one whether it comes with bank space or not (just after a week or so after release :P ). Never being hacked again is a :thumbup: in my book any day.

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

If I do, then I believe that you're clutching at straws here.

I must include that the possibility of an in-game incentive is simply on the table, and it's not in stone - in fact, it might get changed or removed altogether based on the out-lash/complete misinterpretation of the community. I've said that the offering of this token (be it bank space or something else) is simply nothing more than an incentive, and anything further would definitely be reading too deep into this.

I also fail [quite hard, by the way] to see the problem with Jagex offering bank space in exchange for cash. Members get that as part of their perk. Freeplayers have a unique way to manage their entire game career into 68 spaces, and there's always the option to upgrade solely for that.

As far as I see it, it's just an incentive. Nothing more, nothing less. Buy the dongle that radically increases your account security, and we'll give you a few bank spaces. That's all they're saying - that's all they're mumbling about. Why are you reading so deep into this?

I agree with giving in game incentives for spending real world money. After all thats the whole separation between members and f2p.

What I am saying is that I wish they wouldn't have made a statement that "Since your account will be more secure, we will trust you with more bank space." Again, I am not sure if this is a joke, or if they are trying to use fallacies in advertising (which is one of my pet peeves). I hate stuff like infomercials, where they lure you into thinking that the product is more amazing than it actually is.

In my opinion, what I wish they would have said was "We are thinking about adding in-game perks to give away when you buy merchandise from the Jagex store." Again, I'm sure that they were just trying to make an attempt at humor or something, but it just SOUNDS like they could be trying to pull the wool over our eyes.

With what they said, it sounds like they are trying to say that the REASON you get added bank space is just because your account is secure. This isn't true at all. The reason you are getting extra bank space is just because you gave them extra business. Again, I am not sure if they are just kidding aorund here, or if they are ACTUALLY TRYING to fool us into believing that they aren't giving in game rewards due to financial transactions, but rather that your reward just comes from being "secure".

Simply stated: the way they worded their offer sounds like they might be trying to trick/lie to players. This would be upsetting if they intended their statement to be taken literally. It sounds like they could be trying to hide the fact that they are selling bank space (which would be unnecessary, because they are already selling other game content so I don't see why it would be a problem to sell other game features).

Maybe they were just being sarcastic, but I know that a lot of children who play this game, or stupid people in general, could have read that statement and actually believed that their current bank space is limited by their account security.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

So runescape is turning to one of those games were they alow buying items for real cash....hmm...this sounds like a way just to get f2pers to buy some key, just for bank space...seems like a sleezy way of getting more money from the players that dont pay (and the ones that do!)

vcz3sx.png

PSN: Skaterguy1224 Tactical Nukes - 22

Sounds like we have an option for "member+" here: Pay Jagex more cash and get extra bank change, some thing for your keyring.

If these things would be free (/very cheap) and there wouldn't be a "RUNESCAPE" or "JAGEX" tag on them, I'd order 1.

Okay, look.....never mind. You guys saw this already, right?

Seriously, I think the reason why we can't have good stuff anymore is cause everybody always second guessing second guessing second guessing. Why can't you get your heads outta your [wagon] and start trying to be helpful for once? I mean, this game's already cheaper than almost every other MMO out there, you could start being realistic about your expectations for once.

Also, I think it's funny how having the name of the game or company on it would be "ugly" even though you're all fans of the game. Or are you just a bunch of secret masochists?

(I think if anything, a good reason to not have the name on it would be to hide the place that you use it for so that nobody will steal it and be able to know what you could use it for. Then again, they probably would know your username if they were trying to steal it, so at this point trying to hide its purpose would be meaningless.)

8f14270694.jpg

Sounds like we have an option for "member+" here: Pay Jagex more cash and get extra bank change, some thing for your keyring.

If these things would be free (/very cheap) and there wouldn't be a "RUNESCAPE" or "JAGEX" tag on them, I'd order 1.

$10 is cheap. For the security of an account you work for thousands of hours, even $20 is bargain.

It's not members+ either, the extra bank space (who REALLY needs this anyway? Anyone with a full bank can easily clean up 1/4 of his stuff without any inconvenience) is just an incentive for the not so tech savy people who are stuborn enough to believe they're unhackable.

In the end, if you really don't want one and you don't get it the only thing you miss out on is security. Jagex are trying to help us and are willing to invest REAL LIFE money in OUR interest.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

I don't see why people are complaining about "how this will encourage RWT". You're basically paying for a device that can be added to your key chain. Once you order it, it will be sent to your location. All the device does is generate a string of numbers and letters that help you keep your account secure.

It's not that big of a deal.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Giving more bankspace on the basis that you bought something of JaGeX, I think is slightly disappointing, personally added security great, but if your up to date with your security and are not completely gullible to buy into things random people tell you then there shouldnt really be a problem.

I'm glad JaGeX takes this seriously but they shouldnt need to add bankspace as an incentive to buy this product, they may aswell give players 1M gp if you buy the device, been a member for 7 years and I won't be buying one, been hacked once, told someone my password who bank dropped, friendslist whiped... won't do it again i've grown up since then.

Sounds good especially if you share computers or use a computer at a friends house you dont trust or something, then the device will be perfect, but since I don't share a computer, I don't feel the need to have one, nice idea though JaGeX just shame about the bankspace thing.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Certain 2 factor auth would help secure your system but purchasing keyfobs is pretty expensive. May i suggest you look into phonefactor.com which simply uses a cell phone call back for accomplishing 2 factor auth.

Best of Luck to you!

Now whole accounts are bought. Yay. And some of the most-loved parts of the game are taken away.

All MMO's evolve to face current issues. Jagex even admitted that the system used in the wilderness pvp was an obsolete one, albeit one they brought back in various fashions as mini-games because of player support. Accounts were always bought.

More so: you can still pay with a credit card and Jagex is still in business. So there. Discussion on the 2007 updates went spoiled in early 2008.

Furthermore, it's not fair in my opinion that some F2P'er have more bankspace than other F2P'ers, just because they can afford it.

Your opinion. Doesn't make it correct. Life's not fair. Is it fair that kids who pay by RS cards have to pay 3 bucks more than someone paying by credit card? No, but too bad. If this tiny amount of bankspace really makes or breaks someone, knowing someone else has it, playing Runescape, then maybe they're not ready to start using the internet or converse with real people.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png