What do look for in a movie?

How2PK

As the topic title already states. What do you look for in a movie? What are the most important aspects, in your opinion. Does it need to make you cry? An awesome score? The special effects? Acting? Directing? Camerawork? Tension, drama, comedy? You name it! Choose a few things a movie MUST have to make it work for you, and tell us WHY it must have those things in it. :)

I'll post mine later since I have to go for spinning in six minutes. :)

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

Ummm, it has to look not corny. Kung Pow looks corny.

It has to have ACTION! Unleashed had action.

It has to have some humour in it. Unleased had some humour in it.

Umm... Apart from that, I don't give a toss. As long as it's got fighting, racing, humour and no corny-ness in it, it's cool.

Edit: I can't be bothered explaining why, as it's personal preference. I like fighting, I like racing and I love humour.

dwmafianw7.jpg

Notoriously Trollish.

Acting. It's just damn important. Most movies have good acting, I mean good enough acting, so I guess I don't really look for it, but I like a good performance. If I see someone doing some bad acting, I don't like it because then the idea of me being able to do a better job will constantly pop in my head. And that's incredibly annoying when you watch/enjoy a damn movie!

DAMN YOU BAD ACTORS... DAMN YOOOOUUUU

Well lately I've just been watching violent movies and comedies. The best movie I watched recently was Green Street. God damn that was brutal.

thirdeyesig0tl.jpg

Dreaming of that face again

It's bright, and blue, and shimmering

Grinning wide

And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

I dunno, awesomeness I guess. when we sit in the cinemas we can literally just watch the trailers and say "seeing that" "not seeing that" "not seeing that" after each one...so i guess I look for a good trailer. they can lie though...god damned misleading Interpretor trailer...URRGH

logo.jpg

It has to be something I can immerse myself into. This doesn't necessarily mean believe, I can immerse into fantasy. That, I feel, comes with great acting, a great musical score and something original in camerawork. It's probably why I never get scared, or watch, horror films. They're so run of the mill nowadays it's ridiculous.

I'm not really sure, i dont watch that many films. I wish i did, but they don't appeal to me as much as music.

That being said, i mainly look for the general context if I'm watching a comedy, because alot of Comedies are mainly funny due to their situation.

If i watch a serious movie i like to have a good morale at the end, nothing confusing for the sake of confusing, but i dont mind a bit of thinking.

I'm a real light-weight when it comes to movies compared to you guys, but i thought you might like to know my un-educated opinion :P .

manipofsarahs1gg5.png

What do i look for?

- Captivating Plot

- Acting which you dont notice, and you just respect

- A film which leaves questions to be answered, providing the story is complete

- A good flow to the film, not letting it drag on

- Sufficient blend of action and dialogue,

==ice==

Dialogue. That breaks it or makes it for me. Realistic writing that sounds exactly like that character would say. All the stuttering, filler words, mispronounciations, and everything else that goes along with it. To me nothing kills a movie faster than dialogue that sounds like it was written for a speech. And I don't like when the characters sit there and give history lessons on everything thats happening.

This is the way the world ends. Look at this [bleep]ing shit we're in man. Not with a bang, but with a whimper. And with a whimper, I'm splitting, Jack.

Story, pure story. I couldnt care if it was a low budget movie, or the acting was crapy, or if the graphics sucked, its all about the story for me.

Also I kinda maters about the music, it helps set the mood for the story, and it helps me get into the part thats going.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

It really depends on what kind of mood I am in of course. I really like almost everything, it goes from underground horror movies to Gone with the Wind, from Andrej Tarkovsky to Kevin Smith, From Stanley Kubrick to Ron Howard, I really am open for everything. And even if I am in a certain mood, it still changes, like a mood in a mood, you know?

But of course there are certain things that come back in everything.

Camerawork (light, shadow, colours included), is one of the most important things in a movie, in my opinion. It changes everything, a lot of people maybe donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t notice it, but this makes your movie. This makes it look what it looks like, when done the good way it adds so much more atmosphere, emotion, it can make an actor/actress at its best, itÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s the difference between taking him/her serious or not, some good examples of this are later Visconti movies, The Godfather, Raging Bull, Reservoir Dogs, Una Giornata Particolare (!), SchindlerÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s List, Sin City, Once Upon a time in the West, and many others.

Soundtrack is of course very important, it adds so much to a scene (movie), a soundtrack can make it flop or make it a success, it makes you remember the movie; when you hear that soundtrack part you think of the movie, that kiss or death or that hilarious moment that made you and your friends crawl over the floor laughing, and you just relive that part (maybe not crawling over the floor laughing when you hear it at work or something, but you get what I mean), it adds so much emotional value, not only while the movie is playing, but also after the movie. ThatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s why a soundtrack is so important to me.

Space. There needs to be space in a movie, not space like a long way up in the sky, but space as in space to think, to experience. I like movies that you can watch in an active way, I donÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t like movies that are chewed on by staff and crew and then spit back in your face (there are exceptions on the rule of course), where you canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t experience the movie, where youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢re just a passive watcher. Some examples: Dogville, Reservoir Dogs (again), Charlie Kaufman movies (Adaptation, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Being John Malkovich), Otto e Mezzo, Donnie Darko and many others.

And of course then there are the other things, character development, can you associate yourself with the character, originality of the plot, etc. But I think the three things I mentioned earlier are the things that matter the most to me. Of course everything together is best, but that canÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t always be the case.

21o4pav.jpg

Dialogue. That breaks it or makes it for me. Realistic writing that sounds exactly like that character would say. All the stuttering, filler words, mispronounciations, and everything else that goes along with it. To me nothing kills a movie faster than dialogue that sounds like it was written for a speech. And I don't like when the characters sit there and give history lessons on everything thats happening.

I agree. Movies with bad scripts like Be Cool... that movie had so much gay dialogues in it, pissed me off so much :x

1. Epic Score: Movies like Gladiator were so successful partly because of their great, uplifting music.

2. No corny dialogue: Compare something like Topgun or any Star Wars film ("NOOOOOO!") with the likes of Shindler's List/Sin City/Shawshank

3. Not directed by QT :P

1. Epic Score: Movies like Gladiator were so successful partly because of their great, uplifting music.

2. No corny dialogue: Compare something like Topgun or any Star Wars film ("NOOOOOO!") with the likes of Shindler's List/Sin City/Shawshank

3. Not directed by QT :P

That's it get out! QT owns you!

Also Top guns homosexual shower scenes were brillient! BRILLIENT I SAY :cry:

Nice visual effects

A mythos behind at least a few elements in the movie (be they made up or real, it gives more depth)

Good actors definitely

And a little dab of scifi or action :)

smithie3.jpg

I just posted something! ^_^ to the terrorist...er... kirbybeam.

Acting is really important, but IMO the story is most important. Specifically the pacing of the story. I need to be gripped in and not just want to see what happens at the end, but see every moment and when the movies over, I want to want to keep watching. This is mostly done by uising a good pacing in a story, and it has to be about an interesting topic with interesting charecters.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

I really like movies that make me think, and leave some questions at the end. I also like the regular action movie with lots of special effects, but it cant have bad actors...(cough star wars episode 1-3).

I also like feel-good movies like Cinderella Man. And for some reason I really like Garden State, I think it was the sound track.

plot, acting, pace and score.

Obviously if the plot sucks I'm not going to like the movie much.

Then the acting. I've seen movies with the potential to be good crash because the acting was sub par. A pity really because some have been really good ideas.

I love pace. Seriously, if the movie takes too long to 'get on with things' (like developing characters and the story, etc) I tend to lose interest rather quickly - The God Father kind of does this to me somethings drags on a bit sometimes - and same goes as it is ending. If it packs 2hrs worth of suspence into a 10 minute finish I usually am rather pissed off. And like, if it's like... changing how quick the movie is going. Like one minute it's 'dragging out' then the next it goes through 5 days in 10 minutes or something... extreme but you get my point :P

Finally, the score. I think a lot of people would be suprised how much this can effect a movie untill they hear it with the score stripped from it. I supose the same thing could be said with sound effects and such but to a lesser extent.

That's pretty much it I supose.

That being said, i mainly look for the general context if I'm watching a comedy, because alot of Comedies are mainly funny due to their situation.

If i watch a serious movie i like to have a good morale at the end, nothing confusing for the sake of confusing, but i dont mind a bit of thinking.

Yup, I second that.

zippil6wp.png

Thanks for the sig, Runesmithie :)

RIP Steve Irwin

Well, the kinda movie I like is one where the whole family can sit down and watch it. Namely G and PG movies. With no swearing, and minimal violence. Believe it or not. There are good movies that don't have gore, sex, and mega violence.

Well, the kinda movie I like is one where the whole family can sit down and watch it. Namely G and PG movies. With no swearing, and minimal violence. Believe it or not. There are good movies that don't have gore, sex, and mega violence.

Like what movie? :o

21o4pav.jpg

Pixar films. Certain Disney pictures (pirates of the caribean for instance) and some of there animated greats. Lot's of Bible related films, The Story of Moses, The Story of Joseph, there are several more. And, they are very good, if you ever have the time to sit down and watch them. There are several out there. Though I spose it depends on your taste.

Righto... Here I go...

What I look for in a movie:

- Decent acting.

- Some well planned stunts.

- Rhys says "Boobies"

- Hot actresses.

- Fantasy.

- Aye.

And that's about it, as far as I can think of.

//Mitch

New sig to come!