Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

PvP is alot less safe then you could imagine (DDOS'ing)

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

Bouwzie
[ Display Name History ]

Bouwzie

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,934 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Bouwzie

Why did you give the IP....Didn't you have any idea of what they could have possibly done?. Hope you learned your lesson :S.

In my own opinion, this is a noob way to 'PK', if you can even call it that

in my opinion this doesnt count as pking

then your an idiot and you "opinion" is invalid. there is no "opinion" on what does and doesnt count, there is simply pking and different ways to do it, and everyone has a style they prefer. its people like you, trying to brainwash people into thinking that your way is the only way to do something, that make us all look bad. please, try to use some common sence in the future

:wall:

2j3qh46.jpg

Hunter360x
[ Display Name History ]

Hunter360x

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • RSN:Tridantes
  • RSN2:Wolf Sennin
I'm pretty sure that this thread was 'bout ppl who have been ddos'd and methods to prevent it. Not about attacking pj'ers and rushers in general.

That said, a good way to prevent ddos is to setup a firewall with ingress and egress filtering.

Cheers

Hunter
Posted Image
Thanks to Goldwolflord, megadedhed, willmcdermot, Biabf, jak722, born2die, Mediumwell, xxxShade, Random, speedofsound, edtheripper, and Alduron for the awesome sig

n64jive
[ Display Name History ]

n64jive

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,153 posts
It may seem like the posters here are pretty sour, which can be explained by 3 things.

1. You were rushing. No one likes rushers. Even people who don't pk dislike rushers because there is a good chance that they're friends that do pk don't like them.

2. You were negligent. You didn't assume any risks, and ended up becoming victim of a scam.

3. Plays into 2, but pvp isn't more dangerous with this added scam. It's like when people lured merchanters into wild. Most people would realize what was happening, and move on. The wild is still just as safe/dangerous, however being on un-trusted IRC's is in fact dangerous.

Sorry for your loss, but I agree that rushers really are pathetic. I don't care if it's more efficient then 1v1 pking. If you use claws as a spec weapon, then it's cool. But standing in high bonus gear with protect melee on, waiting for an innocent victim is a joke.
Posted Image

Trollface
[ Display Name History ]

Trollface

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • RSN:RandallFlagg
  • Clan:DGS
Most people can't switch weapons well, like me. I tried using my d claws in 2 fights, I switched too slowly and allowed my opponent to eat twice. It's why I prefer the AGS over the D claws, as D claws are only useful for pjing and killing targs in a no armor fight. Why do you see so many d claw pjers? It's because most people suck at switching.

Golvellius
[ Display Name History ]

Golvellius

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,685 posts
You ought to know better than to use 3rd party crap or take things you don't want to loose across the ditch.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Michael
[ Display Name History ]

Michael

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,917 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Trollgazer
You should learn not to mess with modes you don't know.

Limey-Llama
[ Display Name History ]

Limey-Llama

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • RSN:Limewire54
  • Clan:Slayers of Dangerous Beasts
Well, One point, Karma for Dragon claw rushing, anyhow to the posed question, I've been Ddos twice, One was kinda my own fault, one was something just lame.

First one, I went onto a friend's account and did jad for him, account got hacked and he hadn't logged on it since i did, so the hacker wanted to ddos my friend, instead dosing me.

Second time was pking with a friend, using his own Teamspeak server, From what i know you can see people's IPs via the server, guess he wanted backstab me, and ta-da.
Posted Image
Avatar and Signature made by myself :P

3hitm4g3u
[ Display Name History ]

3hitm4g3u

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
Even if we forget the fact that A) you were rushing and B) it was your own fault this happened to you, it still doesn't explain why you were risking that much unless you were willing to lose it before you crossed into wildy.
Posted Image

darkb0wzer
[ Display Name History ]

darkb0wzer

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 109 posts
I myself have been ddos'd and I was not even in a irc channel I just see 2 random people i don't know come up to me start saying "hey darkbowzer" "i love you" 3 seconds later lost connection and came back dead in edge

Lord_Omar_Iv
[ Display Name History ]

Lord_Omar_Iv

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 582 posts
  • RuneScape Status:F2P
  • RSN:Lord Omar Iv
  • RSN2:Bobby Lite
sounds like to me that according to you, u weredoin fine soloing. so why on earth would u team with randoms u dont even know. i would never trust anyone on the game to team and pk with that i didnt know for awhile on the game. it was a dumb choice on ur part and i hope u learned from it

Sirscrap
[ Display Name History ]

Sirscrap

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 354 posts
What is a BNC?
Posted Image

Click sig for blog ^^

6,627th to 99 fletching
33,986th to 99 attack
4,871st to 99 thieving

Whip drops: 28 / Dark Bows: 7 / Hexcrests: 7 / Focus Sights: 1 / Staffs of Light: 6 / Dragon Chainbodies: 2 (1 KQ Solo 1 Dust Devil)

Chained_life
[ Display Name History ]

Chained_life

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 369 posts
  • RSN:Chained_Life
  • Clan:The Death Monkeighs

What is a BNC?

Sort of like an automatic proxy for the IRC... From my understanding.
Posted Image

n00bfiterpk6
[ Display Name History ]

n00bfiterpk6

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 731 posts

Even if we forget the fact that A) you were rushing and B) it was your own fault this happened to you, it still doesn't explain why you were risking that much unless you were willing to lose it before you crossed into wildy.

i dont think anyone enters the wild wanting to lose there items.. but i was aware of the danger and all.. if i had died due to something stupid like pray running out or soemthing (like my other 2 claws) then i would just laugh.. but when people have to be this pathetic its kinda sad

dumbolder
[ Display Name History ]

dumbolder

Chicken Feather

• Members
  • 15 posts
You guy's realize that it is possible for anyone who can post here to get your ip when you view their siggy? Would just take some more effort, but you'd be none the wiser as to who did it.

bored321
[ Display Name History ]

bored321

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,095 posts
  • RSN:Tera

You guy's realize that it is possible for anyone who can post here to get your ip when you view their siggy? Would just take some more effort, but you'd be none the wiser as to who did it.

Posted Image

True but there is no way of really telling who the user is. Sending someone a link to a page or an image would be enough however. Whereas IRC is alot more accurate.

Anyway its a DOS not DDos, pretty sure its just constant pinging of the rs port which could easily be done from one source.

Simple way around it is BNC or reset your IP before pking and don't visit any IRC while doing so..

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

Etta
[ Display Name History ]

Etta

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 364 posts
Please don't flame n00b he is just trying to bring a problem to light and to warn you all of the risks; if you want to be a [bleep] to him go do it elsewhere.

Like in IRC. L.

Bad luck on the claws :thumbdown:

Mil
[ Display Name History ]

Mil

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,138 posts
  • RSN:Mil

You should learn not to mess with modes you don't know.

Indeed. Sorry that you lost Claws and so on, but you do have to be quite unintelligent to give away your IP in such a way. Learning the basics of protecting you and your identity online will go a long way. :thumbup:

Aidos Drakon
[ Display Name History ]

Aidos Drakon

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 196 posts

DDOS or direct denail of service attack has been more popular after I first saw it happen to theuberelite. Now there are people making videos about the highly illegal act. It was also rumored that one of Jagex's servers in the US got ddos'd causing the worlds it holds to be down for a few days.

DDOS stands for distributed denial of service.

Also I think he was DOSed rather than DDOSed.

Application level floods

On IRC, IRC floods are a common electronic warfare weapon.

Various DoS-causing exploits such as buffer overflow can cause server-running software to get confused and fill the disk space or consume all available memory or CPU time.

Other kinds of DoS rely primarily on brute force, flooding the target with an overwhelming flux of packets, oversaturating its connection bandwidth or depleting the target's system resources. Bandwidth-saturating floods rely on the attacker having higher bandwidth available than the victim; a common way of achieving this today is via Distributed Denial of Service, employing a botnet. Other floods may use specific packet types or connection requests to saturate finite resources by, for example, occupying the maximum number of open connections or filling the victim's disk space with logs.

A "banana attack" is another particular type of DoS. It involves redirecting outgoing messages from the client back onto the client, preventing outside access, as well as flooding the client with the sent packets.

An attacker with access to a victim's computer may slow it until it is unusable or crash it by using a fork bomb.

My sympathies to you noobfiterpk. Getting cheated by out of game methods hurts worse than losing stuff legally ingame.

a8aa5bbc88.png

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.

--Brendan Francis

Dexek
[ Display Name History ]

Dexek

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,534 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Dexek
So can this only occur if you're doing something that allows another to see your IP? If a Pker simply only had Runescape open they would generally be safe from such an attack?

Posted Image

Poetry
Indexed Picture 1
Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

Posted Image

dragon312
[ Display Name History ]

dragon312

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,778 posts
Sucks for you but you learned a lesson, and yes I've been DDOS'ed and pinged on Tibia (another MMORPG) where you have even sadder people then on RS.
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users