PvP is alot less safe then you could imagine (DDOS'ing)

n00bfiterpk6

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should learn not to mess with modes you don't know.

Indeed. Sorry that you lost Claws and so on, but you do have to be quite unintelligent to give away your IP in such a way. Learning the basics of protecting you and your identity online will go a long way. :thumbup:

DDOS or direct denail of service attack has been more popular after I first saw it happen to theuberelite. Now there are people making videos about the highly illegal act. It was also rumored that one of Jagex's servers in the US got ddos'd causing the worlds it holds to be down for a few days.

DDOS stands for distributed denial of service.

Also I think he was DOSed rather than DDOSed.

Application level floods

On IRC, IRC floods are a common electronic warfare weapon.

Various DoS-causing exploits such as buffer overflow can cause server-running software to get confused and fill the disk space or consume all available memory or CPU time.

Other kinds of DoS rely primarily on brute force, flooding the target with an overwhelming flux of packets, oversaturating its connection bandwidth or depleting the target's system resources. Bandwidth-saturating floods rely on the attacker having higher bandwidth available than the victim; a common way of achieving this today is via Distributed Denial of Service, employing a botnet. Other floods may use specific packet types or connection requests to saturate finite resources by, for example, occupying the maximum number of open connections or filling the victim's disk space with logs.

A "banana attack" is another particular type of DoS. It involves redirecting outgoing messages from the client back onto the client, preventing outside access, as well as flooding the client with the sent packets.

An attacker with access to a victim's computer may slow it until it is unusable or crash it by using a fork bomb.

My sympathies to you noobfiterpk. Getting cheated by out of game methods hurts worse than losing stuff legally ingame.

a8aa5bbc88.png

People who ask our advice almost never take it. Yet we should never refuse to give it, upon request, for it often helps us to see our own way more clearly.

--Brendan Francis

So can this only occur if you're doing something that allows another to see your IP? If a Pker simply only had Runescape open they would generally be safe from such an attack?

If a forum mod (or admin, depending on how tip.it has it set up) went pking with you, he would have access to your ip. However, I doubt TIF mods would do this, they still could. Any IRC you're in could possibly give access to your ip (including Tip.It's). If you use a BNC, like the poster did originally, then you should be fine. I'm surprised that he would use a BNC and then not see the obvious reason for them not wanting him to use it(why was he even using it then? Did his dad tell him to?)...

So if you stick to tip.it forums, and don't join any "pking" forums, you should probably be safe.

w4M8t.png

Didn't read the full topic, but when that happens, call your ISP, tell them you have been DDOS'd and they will track it and the guy will likely be cut from internet by his ISP.

Didn't read the full topic, but when that happens, call your ISP, tell them you have been DDOS'd and they will track it and the guy will likely be cut from internet by his ISP.

Doubtful. 1, he could hide his tracks, just like you can hide them to protect from DDOS. 2. A DDoSer won't initiate the attempts from their own connection, as this would cause them to lag. 3. The ISP will not go through the hassel if said DDoSer did step 1 and 2 rather well. (Would be a lot of work)

PS: Would everyone forget about the symantics of DoS and DDOS..as they are so similiar,that there is no need to argue.

w4M8t.png

Even if we forget the fact that A) you were rushing and B) it was your own fault this happened to you, it still doesn't explain why you were risking that much unless you were willing to lose it before you crossed into wildy.

Actually, he mentions that he's risked and lost a great deal before in the wild. Though those were due to his own mistakes, and in that case he just "lol'd" as anyone would. The fact that he lost it due to a DDOS is what is [bleep] messed up about this.

Anyone who hacks to get the better of someone else is just [bleep].

Sucks, sorry for the loss.

And for those of you who have been posting about 'pk honor', I'd like to know where the honor is in DDOS'ing. If rushing is at a certain level of cowardice then I'd like to know where hacking falls.

PS: Would everyone forget about the symantics of DoS and DDOS..as they are so similiar,that there is no need to argue.

Similar true, but it is different in terms of how its conducted. But i know its a DoS since I know what program/method the majority use. And as for saying that they don't use their own connection, i have seen many that do (and it does not take many resources to run it). Although the likelihood of anyone getting action taken against them from it is pretty slim. :(

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

yeah, this is the 2nd time this has happened to me but this time I got BS'ed.

090606021923.png

090728125657.png

I can avoid ddos attacks any other way but BS'ing? not really a way to avoid that when someone whos been your friend for like a year does it.

EDIT: Yeah I changed my IP btw.

Started free trade with 1.5m cash. 2 weeks later, have hit max cash 2x.

PvP drops: 359 Brawling Gloves, 11 Vesta's Longswords, 41+ Zaros/Ancient Statues

9 Dragon Full Helms, 3 Dragonfire Shields on the old PvP loot system

Brawler guide is being finished!

Similar true, but it is different in terms of how its conducted. But i know its a DoS since I know what program/method the majority use. And as for saying that they don't use their own connection, i have seen many that do (and it does not take many resources to run it). Although the likelihood of anyone getting action taken against them from it is pretty slim. :(

If it's a program, it probably uses a host server, as what good is a DDOS if you're going to put as much traffic on your lines as the lines you're trying to congest?

w4M8t.png

If it's a program, it probably uses a host server, as what good is a DDOS if you're going to put as much traffic on your lines as the lines you're trying to congest?

God, its a DoS! its not distributed via any other source :P I'm not going any further on here, as i'm sure its against TIF rules. But if you want to correct yourself about the method used try googling it, that's how i came across it.

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

Sigh.....people are just lame these days.

Once again got DDOS'ed, this time by an old friend who I've pked with before.

090728125657.png

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

First of all, it's more likely that DoSing is being used here, rather than DDoSing... I doubt they'd have the resources required for the latter.

1. someone you DIDN'T KNOW asked you to join an irc, that is a little bit dodgy by itself

2. You're a pjer, thus should expect to be killed and targeted by any real pker with half a braincell. If you want to fight for real, which you probably can't, i'm happy yo volunteer. If you're going to pj, do it properly like bruno.

3. You die a lot, can't say this surprises anyone here. Lrn2pk/pj.

4. Letting them see your full ip address? wow, honestly. There's a reason that certain people on this forum have PRIVELEGES to be able to see people's ip addresses. Showing your full I.P to someone you don't even know? incredible

You, me and everyone else on this forum show our IP addresses to hundreds or thousands of people we do not know. It's not private information and never will be.

I don't need any special privileges on this website to get your IP, and there are many other ways than IRC to obtain it. Every network connection you make to another computer, sends out your IP address. Every website you view, every picture, video, every game you play... doesn't matter. IP addresses were never designed to be private. That is how the Internet works and there's nothing you can do about it. You called it incredible that he "showed" his IP address to those people. I guess we're all incredible, then. Hooray for equality!

Sincerely,

Giving out your IP address to random people is like giving out your social security number. But I've never been in an IRC channel for more than five minutes, so it's not like I know much about those. Sorry you got DDOSed. :cry:

At your first sentence, I am trying hard to resist repeating the "lololololol" 100 more times, or smashing something. For my good health, sir, please leave the Internets.

I know you're a girl. Sir sounds funnier.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

I can avoid ddos attacks any other way but BS'ing? not really a way to avoid that when someone whos been your friend for like a year does it.

Thats just sad on their part. Honestly, even though it would be pathetic to do it before the whole wilderness update (i.e. you would have dropped all your loot), to BS someone you've known for a year to get some random loot which probably wont even surpass 200k is quite idiotic.

First of all, it's more likely that DoSing is being used here, rather than DDoSing... I doubt they'd have the resources required for the latter.

Giving out your IP address to random people is like giving out your social security number. But I've never been in an IRC channel for more than five minutes, so it's not like I know much about those. Sorry you got DDOSed. :cry:

At your first sentence, I am trying hard to resist repeating the "lololololol" 100 more times, or smashing something. For my good health, sir, please leave the Internets.

Um, runescape identity theft, hello. Havn't you ever called Bank of Runescape (Formerly Bank of Varrock)? Thats how you verify your identity ;)

However, posting your IP to the general public isn't really a good idea. Right now, only forum mods have access to it. You may fall victim to a DoS(if they wanna waste their time) just to piss you off.

w4M8t.png

Um, runescape identity theft, hello. Havn't you ever called Bank of Runescape (Formerly Bank of Varrock)? Thats how you verify your identity ;)

However, posting your IP to the general public isn't really a good idea. Right now, only forum mods have access to it. You may fall victim to a DoS(if they wanna waste their time) just to piss you off.

Let them, I really do not care; I wanted to prove my point.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Thats just sad on their part. Honestly, even though it would be pathetic to do it before the whole wilderness update (i.e. you would have dropped all your loot), to BS someone you've known for a year to get some random loot which probably wont even surpass 200k is quite idiotic.

I'm sure it's for something more than the drops. I would be shocked if the majority of DoS attacks were just for messing around or getting loot.

wl7w9j.png

So can this only occur if you're doing something that allows another to see your IP? If a Pker simply only had Runescape open they would generally be safe from such an attack?

If a forum mod (or admin, depending on how tip.it has it set up) went pking with you, he would have access to your ip. However, I doubt TIF mods would do this, they still could. Any IRC you're in could possibly give access to your ip (including Tip.It's). If you use a BNC, like the poster did originally, then you should be fine. I'm surprised that he would use a BNC and then not see the obvious reason for them not wanting him to use it(why was he even using it then? Did his dad tell him to?)...

So if you stick to tip.it forums, and don't join any "pking" forums, you should probably be safe.

was actually using bnc or the customised adress it gives when i entered channels + keeping my nick logged in all the time was nice.. the added security was just a bonus really.. id been using irc without a bnc for a few years and never been attacked so i figured i was pretty safe anyway.. and as other people have pointed out.. its easy to get an ip even through a bnc.. there are alot os methods

Say no to DDOS'ing punks on these forums, anyone?

Anyway, that really sucks dude. Good luck getting it all back.

Steviej.png

My account spent most of the last 10 months "locked"

Thanks. I guess I'm rather safe with the forums too since my IP changes everytime I'm on the internet (dial up). I suppose the risk would be showing my IP without reconnecting the internet before going pking.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png