Abc1230

I want to be a writer but I'm afraid I would never make any money :(

Do it on the side.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

There's plenty you could do to supplement novel writing. Ever been interested in journalism? I recommend looking into a book called "The New New Journalism". I think it applies to nowadays more than the original new journalism movement. There's a lot more you can learn about writing for magazines (there will always be some of that, although now a lot of magazines are becoming purely online. Of course, the guys at Cracked make a pretty good living - could always do something like that!). But if you were to get trusted for a magazine or something, they'd set you up to send you places to write articles, pay most of he stuff, and still pay you in the end. Plus, if you get a publisher's attention, they pay advances and then royalties.

Look at your options. Go to college. Non-fiction is becoming just as popular as the novel. Unless you found a perfect target audience and were able to connect with them well (probably becoming a hack in the process), you likely couldn't make a good living. Ain't called starvin' artists for nothing.

But seriously, look into magazines and stuff like that. That's how you make the living.

Or, you could write novels on the side and work a job you still enjoy. Plenty of writers, even ones that make plenty of money, teach at high school or college-level as a primary income (well, I guess secondary for some).

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

Money shouldn't be a big issue for me. The only issue is time, I heard some lasik companys refuse below 21 yrs old since eyes can still develope. Thats the only problem. I plan to get them by the end of summer, If I have the money. I should since I believe I will be getting a good raise . ::'

That's what I was thinking. It seems some eye maladies worsen while you grow (my myopia does, for example), so you might end up wearing glasses some years after the surgery if you don't wait (until ~21 in my case). Can't you talk with an ophthalmologist about that?

This signature is intentionally left blank.

Do it on the side.

I agree. Even if it doesn't make you much money, it's still a lot of fun to write down your thoughts, devise your own plots and characters, and just let your thoughts flow through the pencil/keyboard. Language is a [bleep]ing awesome tool.

This is the last time I'll be asking about this topic, I swear (probably)

I've been trying to figure this out for a little while and I just don't get it. What is the point of friendship? People always say that they have so much fun with their friends. If you go to see a movie by yourself or with friends, the same thing happens, you've seen the movie either way. You can get as drunk by yourself as you can with friends. The only difference I can think of is that you're less likely do get killed by a car or something if you're by yourself. I'm sure there is something that I'm missing. I've never had friends. I've tried to make friends. I still don't have friends an it doesn't really bother me. Is it one of those things that you don't understand until you experience it? I know I've asked about this quite a bit... I just want to understand why everybody has friends. I'm not asking how to make friends, I'm asking what the point of having them is.

I've been trying to figure this out for a little while and I just don't get it. What is the point of friendship? People always say that they have so much fun with their friends. If you go to see a movie by yourself or with friends, the same thing happens, you've seen the movie either way. You can get as drunk by yourself as you can with friends. The only difference I can think of is that you're less likely do get killed by a car or something if you're by yourself. I'm sure there is something that I'm missing. I've never had friends. I've tried to make friends. I still don't have friends an it doesn't really bother me. Is it one of those things that you don't understand until you experience it? I know I've asked about this quite a bit... I just want to understand why everybody has friends. I'm not asking how to make friends, I'm asking what the point of having them is.

Friends are there to save your [wagon] when you get in over your head, convince you that the hot girl will totally say yes if you ask her out (she never does), convince you to do really stupid but very funny things, and let you copy homework or summarize the book you didn't read that you have a test on in 15 minutes (unless they're my friends and then it goes something like "dude, did you do the english homework?" "No, did you?" "No." "..." "[cabbage].")

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Think about the difference between masturbation and sex.

Yeah. One sentence just rocked your whole world.

catch it now so you can like it before it went so mainstream

I'm not trying to argue, to be honest it sounds like you don't like your friends, skull.

Hrmm why is that?

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

How does that sound like that?

Skull's mates seem to be doing what they should.

Stop acting all depressed, and work on getting some mates. Sure, I can go see a film alone, or I can go see it with a mate and have a better laugh at it.

Seriously, try going through a whole day at a place full of people without having anyone to talk to. It's boring.

Though since starting College, it's been a [bleep]ton better than High School. I've met a few guys there, and it's a lot better than doing everything alone.

For example, I'm doing "Computer Games and Digital Media", first day, we essentially had to go out and take pictures of different surfaces and [cabbage]. Sounds boring, though when it came to it, it was more fun than it sounds.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

I'm not trying to argue, to be honest it sounds like you don't like your friends, skull.

Hrmm why is that?

Friends are there to save your [wagon] when you get in over your head, convince you that the hot girl will totally say yes if you ask her out (she never does), convince you to do really stupid but very funny things, and let you copy homework or summarize the book you didn't read that you have a test on in 15 minutes (unless they're my friends and then it goes something like "dude, did you do the english homework?" "No, did you?" "No." "..." "[cabbage].")

I counter your question with a question.

What is the point of life without friends?

The point of havnig them is to have fun and stay sane. They can tell stories, jokes and make you laugh and feel better, and can help with damn near anything. Why not have a friend? Life is much simpler even with just one. Plus there's the whole "validation of life" crisis most teenagers go through, where they HAVE to be friends with everyone or they feel alone.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Hrmm why is that?

Stupid but funny = good. Funny = laughter = happiness. (for me anyways)

Letting you copy homework is good too.

You didn't prove your point.

Friends make you feel happy, and the point that Lent was trying to make: When you're doing it by yourself it's pretty good but when you're doing it with other people it's so much better.

e.g 1 When you're watching a movie by yourself it's pretty good but when you're watching it with other people it's so much better.

e.g 2 When you're playing with your parts it's pretty good but when you're playing with other people's parts it's so much better.

I dunno, my friends make me smile when I feel bad, I have fun with them; it's boring by myself.

edited for sword.

10postchm2105.png

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Hrmm why is that?

You've just reinforced Skull's point, also I've put a point you missed in italics.

So what if she doesn't say "Yes"? They've given you the confidence to actually go and do it, even if they think it's doubtful it'll be the answer you want. That's what good mates do.

Sometimes, doing stupid things is part of the fun. Again, they've given you the confidence to do something you normally wouldn't, then you'll look back on it and laugh with them.

Honestly, if a mate didn't let you copy their homework when you are in need, then are they a good mate? No, they're a pretty crap one.

Oh, and Wongtong, you might want to read over your second example, it made me laugh in an immature way.

The point Lent was trying to make was pretty close to what you think, however I think it's more of "Why do something yourself when it's more fun with other people?" or "It's always more fun when you do it with another person."

swordfinalqr7.jpg

I'll start by saying that I don't think friends are a necessity. I didn't really have any real friends up until 7th or 8th grade, only had one or two play dates as a kid. And I was a pretty happy kid, according to my parents.

Even now, when I do have a few good friends, I still don't think they're critical to survival. Though of course, there are the pros that come with them. Skull mentioned a few, such as being there to help cheer you up when you're down, and being there for you to copy off of when you forgot to do your homework. And they're simply fun to play with (oh, come on...). I mean, I had a blast playing solo games such as Portal and Half Life 2. But throw in a multiplayer aspect and I, among others, find games much, much more fun. And not just video games, (with exceptions) it's kind of hard to play sports by yourself. But of course, there are many things you can enjoy by yourself. I'd even argue that no, not everything is more fun with other people/friends.

If you think you're fine without friends, I'd suppose you could be. It can't really hurt to have friends though - unless you think you'll miss them a lot, like that dude who posted a while back about how he cried for hours and hours during his last days of middle school or something.

And then I'll leave you with this quote. I'm sure you can figure out where it's from. :P (don't know if you want to try to find some ridiculously deep message in it, but it just sounded like it'd fit)

"A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day...This day we fight!"

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

What is the point of friendship?

Two heads are better than one. You generally have more smiles, laughs, and epiphanies when you're around friends. Too many friends isn't a good thing though. You should reserve your friendship only to those who make it worth your while.

I'll start by saying that I don't think friends are a necessity. I didn't really have any real friends up until 7th or 8th grade, only had one or two play dates as a kid. And I was a pretty happy kid, according to my parents.

Even now, when I do have a few good friends, I still don't think they're critical to survival. Though of course, there are the pros that come with them. Skull mentioned a few, such as being there to help cheer you up when you're down, and being there for you to copy off of when you forgot to do your homework. And they're simply fun to play with (oh, come on...). I mean, I had a blast playing solo games such as Portal and Half Life 2. But throw in a multiplayer aspect and I, among others, find games much, much more fun. And not just video games, (with exceptions) it's kind of hard to play sports by yourself. But of course, there are many things you can enjoy by yourself. I'd even argue that no, not everything is more fun with other people/friends.

If you think you're fine without friends, I'd suppose you could be. It can't really hurt to have friends though - unless you think you'll miss them a lot, like that dude who posted a while back about how he cried for hours and hours during his last days of middle school or something.

And then I'll leave you with this quote. I'm sure you can figure out where it's from. :P (don't know if you want to try to find some ridiculously deep message in it, but it just sounded like it'd fit)

"A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day...This day we fight!"

You asked for that to be pointed out. Or maybe I'm just getting tired so find the slightest thing funny. Your quote is probably from LotR, knowing you.

Anyway, yeah, you are fine without friends, but really, what kind of exsistance is that? Being alone is the worst feeling ever.

Sure, maybe there are a few things which are better by yourself, such as reading, but you'd have to name others.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

You asked for that to be pointed out. Or maybe I'm just getting tired so find the slightest thing funny.

I hit post and saw your reply to Wongtong. Then I decided to add that in. :wall:

Your quote is probably from LotR, knowing you.

Well...duh? :lol:

Being alone is the worst feeling ever.

Not necessarily. I guess it depends on the person. Occasionally I simply want to get away from the world - I'll not log onto any IM services, though maybe I'll still check my e-mail and Facebook, and of course here, though I probably won't reply to anything. I talk at most with only my family, I stay in my house (I never do this when there's school).

And that can make me feel a lot better than being completely online, keeping in touch and joking around with my friends. Don't know why but it does.

I suppose doing this for only a few days is much, much different than doing it for just about my whole life, though you can definitely have human contact without having friends.

Sure, maybe there are a few things which are better by yourself, such as reading, but you'd have to name others.

Once again, depends on the person. For me, believe it or not, I prefer playing MMORPGs on my own. No parties, no guild. Of course this means I'm not fully efficient or whatever, but I like it that way. I'd also rather go running on my own than with friends, though that might be due to the fact that they're much faster than me. :P Another thing I usually do on my own is mope/grieve. Yea, I know friends are there especially for tough situations where you'd mope, but that's not the case for me I guess.

It really depends on the person. I'm more anti-social and introverted than most people. Also rather self-conscious too.

doublesmileyface1.png

You make some good points. I need to think more.

Sure, some times you want to be left alone, but at others, being alone is the worst feeling ever, can't remember what it was at one point, something to do with someone where I didn't want to talk to anyone, because they were acting like prats (And, because it's funny to mention who that was, it was RayOxide being a prat, I think Mage_Man came later after she had calmed me down a little, otherwise I would have been pissed at him too). Only ended up talking to that girl and getting over it, can't remember if she was the cause of it, or whether it was someone else. (God it sucks I can't put the name in when I want).

In a way, I'll agree with you on the MMOs, some of the ones I've played, I've done it alone, though in another, due to my class, I pretty much needed to get in a party (2 Warriors, Ranger (me), Healer) to train in a better area, and even in the area which was supposed to be do-able at my level, I still needed help (though it was fun going into one of the higher level areas with one of those Warriors, having him tanking the hits and taking down something we couldn't do alone).

But yeah, moping/grieving is a thing you'd want to be left alone for, doesn't make you feel better having people trying to cheer you up.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Haven't had a good debate in a while, this is kind of fun. Hope you don't mind us steering a bit off the road with your question, abc.

I guess I have to agree that being alone can be terrible, though if you have full control of your life perhaps you might never face a situation in which it is.

I have an older sister, so I've always been dragged along to her events - concerts, grade/class dinners (don't ask), etc. Since she's 3 years older than me, and most other people at those events were either her age or older, I never really had anyone to talk to or play with. Probably some of the most [bleep]ing boring times of my life, though I eventually learned to accept it and went into isolationist mode - y'know, sitting in the corner by myself and doing my own thing.

So it's all situational and also dependent on the person and the potential friends in question. Zierro might have hit it on the dot, you don't want too many friends, and the friends that you do end up having should be good ones.

doublesmileyface1.png

I need some help with my homework. Does anyone know what the first known record of a witch was? I've looked everywhere, but I couldn't find it. Also, I need to know what the proper name for the place where witches were put to death. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

mbqyk3.gif

I need some help with my homework. Does anyone know what the first known record of a witch was? I've looked everywhere, but I couldn't find it. Also, I need to know what the proper name for the place where witches were put to death. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :mrgreen:

"Witches" were around long before written record. The first recorded one? Idk. But! The death penalty for witchcraft was first issued by Emperor Charlemagne of Frankia in the 8th century.

Proper name? Europe or the Americas. Or if you want to get technical and go with the stereotypical "burning" of witches, that would be stake. eg. Burned at the stake.

Generally they just hanged them, though.

Don't cite me as your source.

"Witches" were around long before written record. The first recorded one? Idk. But! The death penalty for witchcraft was first issued by Emperor Charlemagne of Frankia in the 8th century.

Proper name? Europe or the Americas. Or if you want to get technical and go with the stereotypical "burning" of witches, that would be stake. eg. Burned at the stake.

Generally they just hanged them, though.

Don't cite me as your source.

Dusty668, www.tip.it/forum, 11th September 2009, "Burning Witches Comment", First, Online, 11th September 2009, http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=808746

If he wants to ... this is the prescribed Harvard System of Referencing. :thumbup: