Player tested content?

Howlin0001

It isn't currently linked to as we are still performance testing it - our players make very good guinea pigs!

Mod Seb said that in the Jagex topic about the Adventurer's Log on the RSOF

Adventurer's Log

Do you think Jagex will be using players to test out new content or do you think the Adventurer's Log is a one off thing?

I think(and hope) Jagex will be letting the users test out more content.

howlin1eeveesig.png

I can't comment much on the Adventurer's Log at the moment, but I can confirm that it is not possible to see anyone else's Friends List. As some of you have suspected, the website feature was launched quietly to make sure it was running properly. I can't give you an estimate on when it will be relaunched, but rest assured we want to make sure it's as useful as possible for all of you.

Doesn't sound like it was an accident to me.

I like the idea of players testing stuff, even if it's not actual game content.

100523232837.png

Are you winning The Game?

I doubt if, ever, we'd be testing content that it'd be anything more than this. They did say that just minutes after a new piece of content's released that it'd take more than a year for the real QA team to find all the bugs as there's literally hundreds of thousands of people going at it at once. So really, just small things like this if ever we're testing something I'd expect.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

I doubt if, ever, we'd be testing content that it'd be anything more than this. They did say that just minutes after a new piece of content's released that it'd take more than a year for the real QA team to find all the bugs as there's literally hundreds of thousands of people going at it at once. So really, just small things like this if ever we're testing something I'd expect.

They could ensure only a small portion of players can use it, though. Maybe make it a one-world deal or something. I assume it wouldn't be TOO hard.

I don't play enough to REALLY care, anyway.

They could ensure only a small portion of players can use it, though. Maybe make it a one-world deal or something. I assume it wouldn't be TOO hard.

Can you imagine how many people would be complaining if others got such "special treatment"? I can.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

If they let players test, how many would they chose? Who? Why? If you chose high level players the low levels complain. If you chose low levels the high levels complain. If you let veterans test the newbies complain...I can do this all day. The only way to make everyone happy is to let everyone test it. But then again, isn't that just releasing the update?

Short of letting thousands of players beta test from their own homes which is risky with people leaking or stealing updates all Jagex can do is just keep doing what they are doing now. Unless, of cource, they want to let P Mods beta test :pray:

Also, if you start giving some players advance info like that they will no doubt buy items related to that update to make profit off of Jagex's trust. I know I would :twisted:

All that up there :thumbsup: was regarding in game updates. For something like the Adventurers Log it was actually a good idea. Release it but don't tell anyone about it. That was only the people who care and snoop will find it. That decreases the typical hoard of players that jump on anything new (changing names anyone?). That way the number of players who are aware of the feature slowly grows and gives Jagex time to work on any bugs that people find. That way when they announce it, the initial wave of players checking it out is lower then it would be and a large chunk of bugs are gone.

You shouldn't call it "content": but instead a "feature"..

What I mean is: well testing of features like this would only be good, it will get more people involved and it gives a nice feeling to see what jagex is actually doing.. However for CONTENT updates: updates that increase/change the actual game content I doubt this is a good method: what if there are serious bugs (like dupes)? - I think the problems are too important to let players do testing with content..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Can you imagine how many people would be complaining if others got such "special treatment"? I can.

But in making it a single-world release, everybody has a fair shot at it. I'm not saying it is the way it should be, but I'm saying it is an option.

I don't think it can happen, if the idea is scrapped then people will complain, if it's kept and people don't like it further moaning.

Plus where is the excitement? BTS goes and twitter hints to add more of a cryptic feel to the updates as people complained about now if we had play testing wouldn't that just spoil it?

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Do you think Jagex will be using players to test out new content or do you think the Adventurer's Log is a one off thing?

Members could test HD as a beta before it got released so it already happened before.

[404] Signature not found.

They always let the players test stuff.

99% of the content never has what I would consider full testing (opinion), they just fix the issues when players find them.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

As far as I remember, Jagex have done "player tested" things 3 times.

Once - Ingame content.

Second - USB security keys.

Third - Adventurers log

The security keys...? How, exactly? It's basicly a USB stick, I'm sure Jmods themselves tested it, but needing "normal" palyers to..? I don't quite understand the need. Not like they're going to experience it any different than anyone else..:?

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Player testing...

Well, things in the Patch Notes were all discovered by players so it's technically "player testing".

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Jagex do have a reputation for fixing updates after the release :P Further player testing would be highly beneficial to ensure a high quality standard of each update. I would love to see GOOD updates every month, instead of a weekly sometimes rushed one. This gives more time for player testing for those that wish to take part

jd4mfinalsmal0jp.gif

Proper Daily blogging including Starcraft 2!

Includes goal for 80+ all stats

Sorry, just to add to this: I found where it said hours of thousands of players is equal to years of one small team testing:

So we launched our new version, and after a couple of hours of launching the new version with over 100,000 simultaneous players, the amount of play from that many players at once equates to about 20 years of testing in just 2 hours! As you can imagine 20 years of testing DID try a lot more permutations and a few things which didn't quite work the same after all were discovered.

Found Here: http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/view_post.ws?post_id=14&page=3

So yes, I still reckon the current system that's in place will do just fine as it has done.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Sorry, just to add to this: I found where it said hours of thousands of players is equal to years of one small team testing:

So we launched our new version, and after a couple of hours of launching the new version with over 100,000 simultaneous players, the amount of play from that many players at once equates to about 20 years of testing in just 2 hours! As you can imagine 20 years of testing DID try a lot more permutations and a few things which didn't quite work the same after all were discovered.

Found Here: http://services.runescape.com/m=devblog/view_post.ws?post_id=14&page=3

So yes, I still reckon the current system that's in place will do just fine as it has done.

What, you mean steal millions from players? Cause all monsters to not retaliate when attacked? Ensure that minigames are unplayable on release?
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Thanks I was hoping someone would post this as I always forget to bookmark it.

2*100000=200000 hours

Say each member of the team works the average (according to wikipedia, using the values for the UK) 1652 hours per year.

200000/1652=121

121/20=6

Yes according to Andrew the whole testing team for a game with millions of registered players only has 6 testers. Yes thats 6 testers.

I highly doubt they play the game, think edgeville bank issue, running and eat/drinking/changing equipment which the average player found in a few minutes of logging in.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

2*100000=200000 hours

Say each member of the team works the average (according to wikipedia, using the values for the UK) 1652 hours per year.

200000/1652=121

121/20=6

Yes according to Andrew the whole testing team for a game with millions of registered players only has 6 testers. Yes thats 6 testers.

I highly doubt they play the game, think edgeville bank issue, running and eat/drinking/changing equipment which the average player found in a few minutes of logging in.

Yet this update changed everything, you should never expect Jagex to find all bugs in something new.. I wouldn't expect them too. There's just too much!

RIP Michaelangelopolous

2*100000=200000 hours

200000/1652=121

121/20=6

Yet this update changed everything, you should never expect Jagex to find all bugs in something new.. I wouldn't expect them too. There's just too much!

Think of it this way.

About 50% of the activities most players do day to day are universal and are small things. I'm talking using banks (including walking in and out of them), entering combat, using spells, changing equipment and using common items.

You've got about 25% which is semi common and shared with a majority of players but less then the mentioned above. Things like safe spotting, more advanced combat (familiars, multi weapons, multi styles, etc) and so on.

The remainder are understandable to miss.

My biggest gripe is how long does it take to test the day to day stuff which 99% of players notice within minutes.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]