aquariusman - 1

TheMather1 - 2

bongo_man - 1

Jeffwilson99 - 1

sanno7 - 1

Wugumasterx - 1

Mr_Cheese - 1

Mirrorforced - 1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Lateral Thinking Puzzle/Situation Puzzle is a type of puzzle where one person hosts the puzzle (e.g., usually by asking a question about the events of a certain situation), and other players ask questions which can only be answered "yes" or "no" (there are also others answers the host can respond with, such as: irrelevant, yope (yes and no), and irrelevant but assume yes).

For example:

A man walks into a bar, and asks the bartender for a drink of water. The bartender pulls out a gun, points it at the man, and [roosters] it. The man says "Thank you" and leaves. What happened?

The question and answer segment might go something like this.

1. Question: Could the bartender hear him? Answer: Yes
  2. Question: Was the bartender angry for some reason? A: No
  3. Question: Was the gun a water pistol? A: No
  4. Question: Did they know each other from before? A: No (or: "irrelevant" since either way it does not affect the outcome)
  5. Question: Was the man's "Thank you" sarcastic? A: No (or with a small hint: "No, he was genuinely grateful for some reason")
  6. Question: Did the man ask for water in an offensive way? A: No
  7. Question: Did the man ask for water in some strange way? A: Yes

Eventually the questions lead up to the conclusion that the man had the hiccups, and that his reason for requesting a drink of water was not to quench his thirst but to cure his hiccups. The bartender realized this and chose instead to cure the hiccups by frightening the man with the gun. Once the man realized that his hiccups were gone, he no longer needed a drink of water, gratefully thanked the bartender, and left.

http://en.wikipedia...._puzzle#Example

Lateral puzzles are an excellent way of expanding your mind and getting you to think outside the box. I figured it'd be fun if we thought of our own lateral puzzles and see if others can solve them.

Rules

I'll begin by posting a puzzle which you will have 72 hours to guess the answer to before I reveal the answer.

The person who answers correctly has the right to post another puzzle, but if he/she doesn't want to post one they can pass that right on to someone else. Also, if he/she doesn't post a puzzle within 24 hours from the host posts the answer, they will be stripped of that right for the current round and someone else will be chosen at random by the host.

If no one answers within the given time limit then the host must reveal the answer and choose a person at random to post the next question.

Points System

-1 points:If you answer a puzzle correctly but do not post another puzzle within 24 hours

0 points: If you do not correctly answer a puzzle

1 point: If you correctly answer a puzzle

2 points: If you are the host and no one correctly answers your puzzle

As promised, I'll begin by posting the first puzzle. To start the round off I'll start with a classic one.

A father and his son get in to a car accident. The father is killed and the son gets seriously injured. The son is rushed to the hospital and taken to the operation room. When the surgeon enters the room and sees the boy, they say "I can't operate on this boy! He is my son!" How is this possible?"

FMAsig.jpg

[If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's his mother.

Next one:

A most-wanted man is captured by the french in 1789, and he is told his last rights permit that he may choose the formation of his firing squad. After the squad arranges in the position, the general decides to abandon the the request, and let the man go, for the safety of his squad, who were not the best shooters. What position did he put them in?

Signature_FFVIIAC_Cloud.png

Toxicity02.png__

In a circle around him?

Sorry can't think of one.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

It's his mother.

Next one:

A most-wanted man is captured by the french in 1789, and he is told his last rights permit that he may choose the formation of his firing squad. After the squad arranges in the position, the general decides to abandon the the request, and let the man go, for the safety of his squad, who were not the best shooters. What position did he put them in?

Correct! And I'm going along with JoeDaStudd and saying they formed a circle around him (Joe gets the point if it's right obviously).

FMAsig.jpg

Was the easiest one I could think of. Not very good to start the thread off with a crusher, right?

Touche! Joe gets the point, and he can either post a new puzzle or choose someone else to do it.

FMAsig.jpg

Alright. A man falls out of the Empire State Building, New York's tallest building, being 1,400 feet from base to spire. He lands on solid concrete, but lives. How?

He fell out from the ground-floor?

FMAsig.jpg

Alright. A man falls out of the Empire State Building, New York's tallest building, being 1,400 feet from base to spire. He lands on solid concrete, but lives. How?

He fell out from the ground-floor?

Got it again. I'll think of some more on my way to work. See you later.

Signature_FFVIIAC_Cloud.png

Toxicity02.png__

Alright, but the point goes to Skull_Emblem, and since he passes I'll post one:

A teacher gives her class a test on their multiplication tables. Edward is renowned for being the smartest boy in the class, and Michael the stupidest. The teacher checks each student for possible cheating material, and after some time she confirms that none of the students have any hidden papers or objects that can help them on the test. She arranges the kids into test-seating positions; Edward and Michael end up sitting next to each other. The teacher gives them their tests and Edward quickly begins to fill in each blank with the correct answers. During his test, he catches Michael looking towards his direction several times and assumes that he's trying to cheat off of his test. Edward, having filled in half the questions on the test correctly, decides to answer the rest of the questions incorrectly and allow Michael to cheat off him, thus making him fail. Edward slyly nudges his paper towards Michael, allowing him to copy the rest of his answers. When Edward sees that Michael has turned his test paper over (indicating that he's finished), he quickly erases the wrong answers and replaces them with the right ones. The test finshes and the teacher collects and returns them the next day. When the teacher reaches Edward she hands him his test in which he scored 100%. When she reaches Michael she hands him his test in which he also scored 100%. How did Michael score 100% on his test?

FMAsig.jpg

A teacher gives her class a test on their multiplication tables. Edward is renowned for being the smartest boy in the class, and Michael the stupidest. The teacher checks each student for possible cheating material, and after some time she confirms that none of the students have any hidden papers or objects that can help them on the test. She arranges the kids into test-seating positions; Edward and Michael end up sitting next to each other. The teacher gives them their tests and Edward quickly begins to fill in each blank with the correct answers. During his test, he catches Michael looking towards his direction several times and assumes that he's trying to cheat off of his test. Edward, having filled in half the questions on the test correctly, decides to answer the rest of the questions incorrectly and allow Michael to cheat off him, thus making him fail. Edward slyly nudges his paper towards Michael, allowing him to copy the rest of his answers. When Edward sees that Michael has turned his test paper over (indicating that he's finished), he quickly erases the wrong answers and replaces them with the right ones. The test finshes and the teacher collects and returns them the next day. When the teacher reaches Edward she hands him his test in which he scored 100%. When she reaches Michael she hands him his test in which he also scored 100%. How did Michael score 100% on his test?

Michael did not cheat and answered the questions on his own OR There was a multiplication table on the wall in front of/beside him.

[spoiler= If I win]

A couple, on their way to Florida after leaving their home in Alaska, now lies dead in a cabin in the middle of a forest, somewhere in British Columbia (Western Canada). What happened?

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Michael did not cheat and answered the questions on his own OR There was a multiplication table on the wall in front of/beside him.

[spoiler= If I win]

A couple, on their way to Florida after leaving their home in Alaska, now lies dead in a cabin in the middle of a forest, somewhere in British Columbia (Western Canada). What happened?

@ bongo Man, he copied down the "answers" wrong?

@Aquarius. Plane Cabin, it crashed. :P

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

[spoiler= If I win]

Correct! There was a multiplication table on the chalkboard beside Edward, which is why Michael always turned towards his direction to see the chart. Nice job eusa_clap.gif ! And I think Saruman hit the nail on the head with that answer.

FMAsig.jpg

[spoiler= If I win]

Correct! There was a multiplication table on the chalkboard beside Edward, which is why Michael always turned towards his direction to see the chart. Nice job eusa_clap.gif ! And I think Saruman hit the nail on the head with that answer.

i would think copying the answers from a multiplication table counts as cheating

[spoiler= If I win]

i would think copying the answers from a multiplication table counts as cheating

I don't understand what you're trying to say. I didn't say Michael never cheated.

FMAsig.jpg

A chart on the wall was my first thought since it happened a lot in primary school, but the part about the teacher checking for cheating material threw me.

Keep in mind she only checked the students and not the classroom icon_razz.gif

And I guess I'll post another one for now:

Austin the Austronaut travelled around the globe in less than 1 hour. How did he do it?

FMAsig.jpg

Did he walk around one of the geographic poles?

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.