Prices for looks? Really?

Grimdark

This will be quick, but it's something thats been on my mind for a bit. PRICES HIGHER, FOR BETTER LOOKS?

This is mainly the Dragon Plateskirt-Platelegs arguement but, really..Almost 800k more for better looking legs..Seems pointless to me; Has Runescape really diverged into that much of a meterosexual community? Even items like Gnome Goggles have gone up in massive amounts: 20k-487k in two weeks..Thats insane!

So, i want to hear your discussions on this; Do you think items are really worth paying that much more, just because they look better?

widowsgrimm.png

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be quick, but it's something thats been on my mind for a bit. PRICES HIGHER, FOR BETTER LOOKS?

This is mainly the Dragon Plateskirt-Platelegs arguement but, really..Almost 800k more for better looking legs..Seems pointless to me; Has Runescape really diverged into that much of a meterosexual community? Even items like Gnome Goggles have gone up in massive amounts: 20k-487k in two weeks..Thats insane!

So, i want to hear your discussions on this; Do you think items are really worth paying that much more, just because they look better?

Of course people do it, and it's okay. Although when doing combat i'm wearing the gear that helps me out the most, i still use a lot of time hanging around, doing nothing. This is when I use a outfit i like a lot, and is there purely for looks. This includes a beret, which is worth about 500k.

Just look at treasure trail items. With a few exceptions, most of the items you get from there are purely for looks. There are no difference in the stats of a rune platebody, and a rune platebody(s), but still, it is over ten times more expensive.

Another point of this, is that in a game, unlike the real life, we don't have differing looks. All faces are the same, all are of the same length, and all are almost just clones of each other. The clothes therefore gives a bigger role in giving you an "identity" others can recognize with, and that perhaps also tells you something about yourself.

Scherzo.png

Of course people do it, and it's okay. Although when doing combat i'm wearing the gear that helps me out the most, i still use a lot of time hanging around, doing nothing. This is when I use a outfit i like a lot, and is there purely for looks. This includes a beret, which is worth about 500k.

Just look at treasure trail items. With a few exceptions, most of the items you get from there are purely for looks. There are no difference in the stats of a rune platebody, and a rune platebody(s), but still, it is over ten times more expensive.

Another point of this, is that in a game, unlike the real life, we don't have differing looks. All faces are the same, all are of the same length, and all are almost just clones of each other. The clothes therefore gives a bigger role in giving you an "identity" others can recognize with, and that perhaps also tells you something about yourself.

You raise a very good point, i was just thinking, would Merchanting clans have any effect on these sort of items?

widowsgrimm.png

[hide]

[/hide]

You raise a very good point, i was just thinking, would Merchanting clans have any effect on these sort of items?

Manipulating clans can certainly use tt items as objects for their manipulation, as they are high in demand, and low in supply. But for generally rising prices, manipulation clans don't have a big role, this is rather explained by the fact that people have more items in their hands nowadays, and therefore can afford to pay more. (But if you don't want to discuss economic matters as inflation and such, i would advice you to leave just that topic for now. There's plenty of people on here that would love to discuss that.)

Scherzo.png

Two points you should consider:

1) There's a lack of items in Runescape that are of high cost and high usefullness. Currently, the priciest thing worth getting for efficiency is AGS (for PvP'ers) or SGS (for PvE'ers). Not only is there an enormous gap in price for the next set of useful items, but these two items, and almost all items that cost 10m+ are far from required for anything. They're just small boosts in efficiency and convenience. What I'm getting at is, people have mountains of money left over for buying what looks good (want proof? Rares. Statless TT items.).

2) For your example of d skirt and legs, consider this scenario in real life. You see some pants and a skirt in a shop with the exact same pattern - both look equally stylish. The skirt costs half the pants. If you're a hetero guy, which do you buy? I don't know where you come from but where I live the choice is pretty damn obvious.

Yes I am insisting that majority of RS'ers are straight guys. That or they're kids who have yet to find out what they are and as such they would typically stick with the normal and go with legs.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

1) There's a lack of items in Runescape that are of high cost and high usefullness. Currently, the priciest thing worth getting for efficiency is AGS (for PvP'ers) or SGS (for PvE'ers). Not only is there an enormous gap in price for the next set of useful items, but these two items, and almost all items that cost 10m+ are far from required for anything. They're just small boosts in efficiency and convenience. What I'm getting at is, people have mountains of money left over for buying what looks good (want proof? Rares. Statless TT items.).

2) For your example of d skirt and legs, consider this scenario in real life. You see some pants and a skirt in a shop with the exact same pattern - both look equally stylish. The skirt costs half the pants. If you're a hetero guy, which do you buy? I don't know where you come from but where I live the choice is pretty damn obvious.

Yes I am insisting that majority of RS'ers are straight guys. That or they're kids who have yet to find out what they are and as such they would typically stick with the normal and go with legs.

Tell that to a scottish person :P, Kidding.

Yeah, isee your point, but if i had to either pay 10 bucks for a skirt, or 110 for pants, i'd just leave.

widowsgrimm.png

Yeah, isee your point, but if i had to either pay 10 bucks for a skirt, or 110 for pants, i'd just leave.

but this is where the point of how much money people in runescape have. We can easily afford to pay those 110 bucks for the pants, because we have nothing better to spend them on anyway.

Scherzo.png

but this is where the point of how much money people in runescape have. We can easily afford to pay those 110 bucks for the pants, because we have nothing better to spend them on anyway.

I guess i was kind of talking about myself..I just started making money. :D

widowsgrimm.png

Rares are expensive because they are rares, not because they look good, cause IMO they don't look good. They DO look good BECAUSE they are rare, but trust me, if they were 1 gp you wouldn't see a lot of people running around in halloween masks or partyhats.

another reason for the diff between d skirt/ d legs is that there are alot less females, and of those females, some of them prefer to wear legs. (when you see full dragon with skirt, you cant really blame them.)

also, skirt drops are somewhat more common then legs, i think.

finally, any males who wear d skirt deserve to die. it just looks soooo stupid!

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

another reason for the diff between d skirt/ d legs is that there are alot less females, and of those females, some of them prefer to wear legs. (when you see full dragon with skirt, you cant really blame them.)

also, skirt drops are somewhat more common then legs, i think.

I think both dragon legs and skirt have the same drop rate, just that the proportion of male to female players aren't equal, hence the lower demand on skirt. It did save me a lot during my early days as a member.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

It's that sort of attitude, 'Hur hur, that guy's wearing a skirt: LOL UR GAY!' that is why legs cost more. If guys weren't wimps and scared of being called girls, then there'd be more skirt purchases.

I don't agree with this at all.

Platelegs just look better. Plain and simple. It's not that anyone is afraid they're going to get ridiculed someone over an internet game for being "gay". It's just that a skirt doesn't look as cool as platelegs do.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

It's that sort of attitude, 'Hur hur, that guy's wearing a skirt: LOL UR GAY!' that is why legs cost more. If guys weren't wimps and scared of being called girls, then there'd be more skirt purchases.

I don't agree with this at all.

Platelegs just look better. Plain and simple. It's not that anyone is afraid they're going to get ridiculed someone over an internet game for being "gay". It's just that a skirt doesn't look as cool as platelegs do.

witch is why they need to redesign d skirt to match "heavy" d armor. maby even add a longskirt version.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

That's what you think, lad. I wear me kilt, and I am damn proud of it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as the discussion goes, I do find it ridiculous how prices will shoot up one hundred fold due to their aesthetics. I blame merchants, though.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

LOL Bandos tassets are "skirts" yet LOTS of ppl wear them. IMO d skirts look rubbish, thus there worth less than d legs.

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

I pay more to have nice bras from Victoria's Secret even though they do the same thing as a regular bra and no guys get to see them because I like girls and girls don't really care what another girls bra looks like because that kind of thing does nothing for us and since they also wear bras they know how stupid the whole thing is to begin with. -.-

So um, I can't really criticise them.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I used a dragon skirt for a while because I could then have a whip at the same time. I then bought the legs when I had a bit more money because they look better. The skirt just looks worse than the legs, and that's why it's a lower price. I'd really like to see a graphical change to them to match the heavy looks of the legs. It's not even much to do with the extreme male gender bias of the population, the skirt just looks worse.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

LOL Bandos tassets are "skirts" yet LOTS of ppl wear them. IMO d skirts look rubbish, thus there worth less than d legs.

That is because there is no "legs" alternative.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

That is because there is no "legs" alternative.

Touche.

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

I pay more to have nice bras from Victoria's Secret even though they do the same thing as a regular bra and no guys get to see them because I like girls and girls don't really care what another girls bra looks like because that kind of thing does nothing for us and since they also wear bras they know how stupid the whole thing is to begin with. -.-

WAY tmi!

punitivedsig.png

I'm sure someone's already stated this:

It's always been like this, why do you think p hats are expensive? For investments? Thats a load of bull for 80% of people, it's for prestige, and the looks that come with it.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

http://www.emporioarmani.com/item/realgender/Men/tskay/3FD17CD7/gender/U/men/fall-winter/Jeans/Slim-fit-5-pocket-jeans/cod10/36148108UE

http://shop.pacsun.com/denim/gravels-slim/Gravels-Slim-McTrick-Jeans/index.pro

Oh no, this situation is relevant to real life!

Do the more expensive jeans look better? Yes, by a little. Are some people willing to pay the obviously large price difference? You bet.

The big difference is that money is significantly easier to come by in Runescape than in real life :P

wl7w9j.png

WAY tmi!

That was no where near "to much information." I know a quick trip into a female's psyche might be hard for you, but you'll get used to it. :mrgreen:

On the topic: Caring about looks in a video game if you aren't designing the game itself is just a moronic view. You will have all the immature 12 year olds that plague this game at you regardless of what you equip, anyways. You will either be called out on the cheapness of an item (being called poor), the medium priced item that has better alternatives (being called both poor and inefficient), or for the expensiveness of the item (being called a pixel hugger). You're not going to win, so why buy for looks in the first place?

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.