How much would it take to fix the Combat Triangle

sees_all1

Magic: Ever heard of....Ancients? Ice Barrage combined with blood barrage? Melee is now completely screwed? And in normal spells, entangle + blood rune spells? Stat weakening spells?

Melee: Overpowered. Godswords, whip, DDS, more variety, etc.

Range: Underpowered, but crossbows have fast attacks, add enchanted bolts... Still, range is useless as of right now.

The triangle is more balanced than you might think, other than the fact that range is [cabbage]. However, a ranger can still defeat a warrior if they use their advantages and play it smart.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Solution:

Give F2P ranged yew bows/rune arrows. Why? Because Green D'hide requires 40 defence and 40 ranged. While the max melee armour for F2P is also rune. Note how F2P can cut yew? That's another coincidence.

And to fix F2P mage, Give a better bind and the wave spells.

P2p should be fixed before F2p seeing as F2p is a demo.

Paying customers come first.

If you are going to make a stupid argument like "F2P is a demo" then at least try to prove it. F2P has never been and never will be a demo. A demo has limits, while F2P as a game has no limits. F2P just lacks the content that Members has. Therefore, you can't say that its a demo. Futhermore, Jagex has always affirmed that F2P is a full game with an available expansion called Members.

Go ahead and deny it and say "JAGEX FAILS LOLOLOLOL"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

They day the Combat triangle is balanced is the day Runescape dies.

True balance will never exist simply because the players will do what they always do: adapt and find ways of using the provided methods and tactics in ways the developers never expected to gain an advantage over their opponent(s). If you need proof, look at every good fighting game ever.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Proud of who I am and what I am.

The implementation of anti-hybridism. A person using melee in magic robes should have -melee attack modifiers. Basically you should not get any bonuses from using gear from a seperate fighting style class. Rangers should only benefit from dragonhide, meleers from armor, magic from robes. Enchantable armor could add some protection.Also, making spells which benefit each class of fighting and making magic more of a passive skill like prayer.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

I don't see how one person getting dominated by multiple people is bad or how that should even be considered along with the other issues.

If ten guys jump you, assuming ten people not significantly weaker/slower than you, you are going to lose, and that is how it should be in a game.

It is obviously unfortunate for the person getting ganged up on...but they should go get a gang of their own or avoid multi combat.

Note: I don't even vaguely care about pvp, so I don't have much experience, but the topic looked interesting.

Barrows: 9~2 V Brass,V Flail,2 Dh Plate,V Helm,V Skirt,T Legs,Malevolent Shield DKing: 48~6 W Ring,13 A Ring,8 M Staff,9 S Ring,7 B Ring,3 Seercull
Dragon Drops: 500+~50+ Med,26 Axe,3 Chain,10+ Legs,10+ Spear,2 D2h,10+ L Half,49 Boots,2 DDs,10+ Lump,9 Claws,50+ Dagger,14 Visage,50+ Mace,4 Scimitar,7 Hasta,Baxe,50+ Long,30+ Royal,2 Kite,4 Ward,2 Plate,Staff,Hammer,Limbs, Mattock,Halberd
GWD: 156~4 S Staff,50+ Shard,9 B Tass,13 B Plate,5 B Boots,6 A Plate,11 S Sword,8 A Hilt,4 A Skirt,9 A Helm,S Hilt,3 B Hilt,B Glove,2 A Buckler,Z Ward,Z Garb,2 Z Boots,B Shield,B Helm

Corp: 3~Elysian,2 Sp Sh Nex: 6~Torva Legs,Cere,P cowl,Z bow,2 T boots + GWD2: 9~2 Glaive,Wand,2 Crest,Blade,2 Essence,Core Araxyte: 5~Web,3 Pheromone,Fang + Raids: 4~3 Codex,P Boots  + Trails: 2~Bob Shirt,Fortunate

Etc: 64~3 Sceptre,B Mask,16 Whip,2 Focus Sight,5 D Bow,7 SOL,Ragefire,2 Steadfast,Arma Staff,6 Rider Armor,5 Vine,2 Razorback,2 A Wand,Abby Orb,3 Blood Shard,6 Hydrix,Gland,Asc Xbow
[spoiler=Capes]Quest Cape Aquired 12-7-07 ~ Level 93 + + + Completionist Cape Aquired 5-22-15 ~ Level 138
Hitpoints Cape Aquired 9-21-09 ~ Level 131 + Magic Cape Aquired 9-24-09 Attack Cape Aquired 3-5-10 ~ Level 135 Summoning Cape Aquired 3-12-10

Strength Cape Aquired 6-1-11 ~ Level 137 Fire Cape Aquired 6-23-11 Defence Cape Aquired 7-5-11 + Ranged Cape Aquired 8-1-11 Kiln Cape Aquired 2-26-12 ~ Level 138
Dungeoneering Cape Aquired 4-22-12 + Slayer Cape Aquired 6-25-14 ~ Level 200 + Herblore Cape Acquired 12-9-14 ~ Level 138 Prayer Cape Acquired 12-20-14
Agility Cape Acquired 1-4-15 + Hunter Cape Acquired 1-30-15 Construction Cape Acquired 1-31-15 Crafting Cape Acquired 2-22-15 Thieving Cape Acquired 3-18-15
Runecrafting Cape Acquired 4-14-15 Mining Cape Acquired 4-19-15 Fishing Cape Acquired 4-25-15 Firemaking Cape Acquired 4-26-15 Woodcutting Cape Acquired 4-26-15
Cooking Cape Acquired 4-26-15Smithing Cape Acquired 4-28-15 Farming Cape Acquired 4-29-15 Divination Cape Acquired 5-3-15 Dungeoneering Mastery 5-4-15
Fletching Cape Acquired 5-4-15 Max Cape Acquired 5-4-15 + Invention Cape Acquired 11-9-16 Invention Mastery 5-16-19 + Archaeology Cape Acquired 10-30-20

I'm no PVP expert, but from what I understand, a fully equipped mage can take down any ranger or warrior. It's no longer true that magic has no KO potential. Ranged is arguably a little bit underpowered compared to the other two classes, but I think the triangle is the most balanced it's been in years.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Just wondering how you all think about the combat triangle after the release of items such as the arcane stream necklace and such.

bandaids. this problem needs to be fixed at its core. magic at bare minimum needs a big base damage boost, and a better standard book holding spell, as well as better melee def. (nerf melee attack to counterbalance)

No comments about my void suggestion yet. I can't find any flaws in it myself.

This is just stupid. if you want to risk something that gives you alot of power, risk it! if not, dont take it. void is not the answer to everything...

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Solution:

Give F2P ranged yew bows/rune arrows. Why? Because Green D'hide requires 40 defence and 40 ranged. While the max melee armour for F2P is also rune. Note how F2P can cut yew? That's another coincidence.

F2P is not a demo. It is a stand alone game in it's own right. If it was a demo, then the "Demo" option on the login screen would be pointless.

Goal: 99 99rangeu.png & 99magic.png Through 99slayer.png

ardvarksoup2.png

Credits to Zokot for the sig.

(nerf melee attack to counterbalance)

If that were to happen, the Fally guards will never be the same.

The challenge of a mistake is not to avoid it. The challenge of a mistake is dealing with the outcome.

bc8ebae3b0.png

Solution:

Wow, people still think this? F2P is the core of the game, it's where the basic mechanics of the combat triangle lie because it's relatively simple. P2P should just expand on those concepts. If you haven't fixed the basic concepts, you're going to screw up the expansion.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

The bare minimum to fixing the combat triangle is... of course, gaining the courage to challenge legacy stats.

So what if you release balanced weapons now... the unbalanced ones are still out there. And of course, re stating the current weapons and armors to reflect modern gameplay would be a big step.

But no one has the courage to mess with these, as you'll catch some shrapnel, raving lunatics ranting, people who don't read their updates entirely confused.

Magic: Ever heard of....Ancients? Ice Barrage combined with blood barrage? Melee is now completely screwed? And in normal spells, entangle + blood rune spells? Stat weakening spells?

Melee: Overpowered. Godswords, whip, DDS, more variety, etc.

Range: Underpowered, but crossbows have fast attacks, add enchanted bolts... Still, range is useless as of right now.

The triangle is more balanced than you might think, other than the fact that range is [cabbage]. However, a ranger can still defeat a warrior if they use their advantages and play it smart.

I can't believe I missed this... Range underpowered? Fast attacks from Crossbows? Range useless? The Stat weakening spells in the standard spell book being brought into the equation? Saying that the triangle is "more balanced then you think" and then following it up with... That.

My head just exploded.

bc8ebae3b0.png

The fact is melee will always have a base damage advantage for the simple reason that a 10 year old can grasp. IT CAN NOT HIT OVER DISTANCES! Range is underpowered but crossbows with the specials somewhat make up for that, but it still could be fixed up a bit. Magic has a load of diverse properties such as binding and freezing. No meleer will beat a PKer who knows what he/she is doing if they are using blood and ice barrage.

I have lived my life to the best of my ability, but I have not been able to escape fate, anger, or pain.

Bring me the answers, and the road that leads to truth, reveal to me once and for all, how all of this will end.

Shadows cannot exist without the light. But without the shadows, the light has no meaning.

No meleer will beat a PKer who knows what he/she is doing if they are using blood and ice barrage.

But can a ranger beat them? Seems the mage can just farcast ftw.

What magic lacks in its KOability it makes up for in the "screw them to the spot".

Implementing a no-pjer system has fixed 98% of PJs... it still happens in rare circumstances (both players eatting).

Once jagex adds enough patches, it'll be the same as a complete overhaul in the fact that no one in their right mind would use the traditional weapons.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

how much is needed to fix the combat triangle? very little:

1. increased weight reduces running speed, not drain-rate of energy

2a. negative melee aggressive stats on dhide and other range armour.

2b. increased range defence on melee armour

2c. negative range defence on mage armour

3. a new set of shortbow / longbow above magic (fletchatble)

4. significant fletching requirements to wear range gear and increasing accuracy upto today's levels (making it a secondary range skill similar to attack for melee)

5. significant runecrafting requirements to increase the max damages of spells upto today's leveles (making it a secondary mage skill similar to strength for melee)

results:

bringing a lot of gear impairs you in combat, running away from fights is harder.

melees are more tanks, rangers and mages are more maneuverable, but more vulnerable

melee now consists of att/str, range consists of range/fletch, mage consists of rc and mage. This gives increased triangularity.

hybriding now involves wearing a lot more gear, which is penalized

run energy and weight are now involved in actual combat, meaning gear selection is more important.

it seems to me, the combat triangle could easily be fixed, if that was the focus of jagex. PVM, it's fine as it is today.

heres what i think would work:

-give all melee weapons a 10-15% decrease in total str boost

-make ALL melee armor have a slight increase in str (wearing a helm, plate, and legs will of a set will make up for the median decrease (all weapons) of str in that class)

obviously the above will take some tweaking with godswords and special weapons

-make all range armor give negative str bonuses and slight negative accuracy bonus (besides vamps)

-increase crossbow range by a few squares

-slightly decrease the defense of black dragonhide and all chaps (by 5 or 10%)

-give mage robes requiring defense small melee defense boosts

-make magic shortbow and dds 33% spec

-give dragon claws a cooldown time not allowing 4 specs in a row

-make chaotic crossbow better

-allow quicker casting of spellbook swap and make it not combat interupted

-the ability to intertwine spellbook swap with a combat spell to allow for autocasting, just at a slower rate considering the speed of spellbook swap

just my nooby ideas

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]