Doors

Poopingman

Let's take a moment to analyze how remarkably inconsistent Jagex has been in the realism department regarding Runescape.

In a game world that is self-aware of all of the cliches (Look at any random quest, they are full of ridiculous one-liners and jokes about gaming culture) as well as a growing number of "quick-use" options to help speed up areas of the game that are well-traveled to help ease repeated dialog; isn't it a bit strange how we still end up getting stuck on doors that mysteriously close, constantly interrupting our walking path?

Let us take a look at a basic path I take daily: I travel to Al-Kharid, walk south to Shantay Pass. I quick-buy a Pass from Shantay, I then quick-pass the Shantay Pass, all sacrificing realism for conveinance. Once out in the desert, I quick-travel the carpet to my destination. If you can't already see a trend here, Jagex is sacrificing the realism of our game world to help spare us repeated boring dialog and actions required to access certain areas.

Bringing me to my main point, why do doors have to mysteriously close and more importantly, manually be opened? Why does it have to obstruct our marker on the mini-map, forcing us to open the door separately before continuing. The imagination employed is incredible with how inconsistent it is. I suggest that to maintain the realism level, have doors open and close; however have the character automatically open them as they walk through, instead of having to stop and click, then click again on the map to continue. Get with it, Jagex.

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

Agree, those [bleep]es piss me off.

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

Let's take a moment to analyze how remarkably inconsistent Jagex has been in the realism department regarding Runescape.

I agree. You'd think this game was set in a fantasy land or something. I've seen stone golems in real life, and they do NOT have that kind of hunch when they walk.

In a game world that is self-aware of all of the cliches (Look at any random quest, they are full of ridiculous one-liners and jokes about gaming culture) as well as a growing number of "quick-use" options to help speed up areas of the game that are well-traveled to help ease repeated dialog; isn't it a bit strange how we still end up getting stuck on doors that mysteriously close, constantly interrupting our walking path?

No...It's not mysterious at all. It's part of the anti-bot mechanics.

Let us take a look at a basic path I take daily: I travel to Al-Kharid, walk south to Shantay Pass. I quick-buy a Pass from Shantay, I then quick-pass the Shantay Pass, all sacrificing realism for conveinance. Once out in the desert, I quick-travel the carpet to my destination. If you can't already see a trend here, Jagex is sacrificing the realism of our game world to help spare us repeated boring dialog and actions required to access certain areas.

Sacrificing the realism of the game because you don't want to click on doors. Oh, I see. Ooh, let me make a conclusion out of an irrelevant proposition!

Jagex is clearly supporting the communist movement because combining a banana and Karajama Rum makes the bottle useless! Srsly, Rushins.

Bringing me to my main point, why do doors have to mysteriously close and more importantly, manually be opened? Why does it have to obstruct our marker on the mini-map, forcing us to open the door separately before continuing. The imagination employed is incredible with how inconsistent it is. I suggest that to maintain the realism level, have doors open and close; however have the character automatically open them as they walk through, instead of having to stop and click, then click again on the map to continue. Get with it, Jagex.

Exactly, what are Jagex, stupid? Who ever heard of manually closing and opening doors? IT'S JUST NOT REALISTIC. Why in my world, doors open automatically for me, and the floor moves, and when I start my four hour per day job hitting a button making sprockets, I get woken up halfway through by Mr. Spacely.

I'm a busy Runescape man, I can't have these "doors" blocking my way. Who do these doors think they are anyway? Forcing me to move my hand and waste .0000000000000000000000000000001 seconds of my time I could be spending making rants about some other non-issue. You have to think REALISM Jagex, when I walk towards doors in real life, they open and close with no problems, why can't you do that in game? Realism! If I keep saying realism, maybe I'll make a point somewhere.

Oh and Jagex,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDA4lcw8k1g&feature=related

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Well... that was certainly an overload of sarcasm. :thumbup:

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Well... that was certainly an overload of sarcasm. :thumbup:

In my defense I would have been much warmer if the OP hadn't pulled out the "realism" card. The realism card is always followed by something that has nothing to do with realism emot-pseudo.gif

Granted, I still wouldn't support, and it's still lazy on the part of the OP, but my answer would have simply been, don't be lazy, and the mechanic is there to hinder bots.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Oops, forgot about the unofficial Tip.it post police. I'm not even going there.

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post can and will be used against you by Omali. You have the right to a moderater. If you cannot afford a moderater, one will be appointed to you. Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?

;)

'Rock Hard' boss pure - 60/60 Attack | 99/99 Range | 1/1 Defence | 44/44 Prayer | 99/99 Strength | 99/99 Mage - level 79 combat EOC

## '07 Server ## "Best Runescape update ever: Removing 6 years of updates."

Rock_Hard.png

"Warning: If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all that claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think every thing you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told to want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned- Tyler"

mmm so you've never seen a door close on its own IRL?

Happens all the time in old houses, due to the slopes, airflow and other variables they seem to close completely on there own.

Have you need seen quick-pass options IRL neither?

Numerous places have them, in fact Alton Towers (its a good example as it works pretty much the same as shanty pass, you buy a ticket then can directly skip 90% of the wait) have trialed them numerous times and still offer them now to a degree. There are lots of places implementing it too speed up the long winded things.

Remember is a game above all, so realism isn't ever going to be a priority.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post can and will be used against you by Omali. You have the right to a moderater. If you cannot afford a moderater, one will be appointed to you. Do you understand these rights as they have been read to you?

;)

That's a trick statement. No one can afford the Tip.It moderators, not even Bill Gates.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

;)

That's a trick statement. No one can afford the Tip.It moderators, not even Bill Gates.

That`s probably the reason why everyone loses then...

"An Amateur practices until he can get it right. A Professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

nimetnbb.jpg

Quests just keep bringing me back to this game.

Doors are a hassle in runescape. So are stairs, ladders, the wilderness ditch... I could go on.

I'm happy that doors are the way they are, especially since the "stuck" update, where people who closed doors as soon as they opened to annoy others could no longer do so.

I could care less about how realistic runescape is.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Remember the door-spammers? Bored kids with nothing better to do than irritate those around them. God, at least they got rid of them.

Yeah I tried doing this to an AFKer for the lulz and it didn't work. Slowed him down a bit though, he kept running all the way round the furnace.

Remember the door-spammers? Bored kids with nothing better to do than irritate those around them. God, at least they got rid of them.

Yeah I tried doing this to an AFKer for the lulz and it didn't work. Slowed him down a bit though, he kept running all the way round the furnace.

lol, yay bots.

I was talking about people like the ones who would camp out at say Castlewars and keep shutting the door on anybody who tried to open it for their own amusement.

rssig2.png

Regarding doors, if you run fast enough you can actually run "through" the door, ignoring its closed state. This has happened to me numerous times while cabbage-porting.

Also, if you are ranting about door-shutters, the door gets stuck open after a while, so no need to worry about that.

And how coincidental, I created a rant about people who close doors for no reason a few weeks back. I still think those people are just pointless.

Just be thankful that newbie gates automatically open for you... most unnecessary thing ever.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Realism in RuneScape? You must be joking.

Carrying a bag full of coal ores doesn't increase your strength but using a dagger to kill a rat does...

A billion gold pieces doesn't weigh anything...

Hitting a trained warrior (i.e. knights, etc) for 1 damage gives you less attack exp than hitting a big fat giant for 5 damage...

The list goes on with many more illogical and severely unrealistic things.

Don't try using the realism card in RuneScape. People will at least respect your post if you simply said "why must doors automatically close" and not try to use "realism" to back up your answer.

Realism in RuneScape? You must be joking.

Carrying a bag full of coal ores doesn't increase your strength but using a dagger to kill a rat does...

A billion gold pieces doesn't weigh anything...

Hitting a trained warrior (i.e. knights, etc) for 1 damage gives you less attack exp than hitting a big fat giant for 5 damage...

The list goes on with many more illogical and severely unrealistic things.

Don't try using the realism card in RuneScape. People will at least respect your post if you simply said "why must doors automatically close" and not try to use "realism" to back up your answer.

Exactly, nothing is realistic. So why do doors need to realistically be opened and/or closed? Bank doors are eternally stuck open for conveinence reasons, why not all doors? So inconsistent!

Metal fans, check out my band!

Poopingman.png

Still the King....

I actualy think the doors are quite realistic, they close automatically after a while, just like if the wind blew them shut.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

Although I don't really have an opinion on the doors, (they don't really bother me that I sometimes have to open them), I have a problem with a lot of the posts on this thread.

Did you guys even read what he said? He isn't complaining about the lack of realism in closing doors.. He's complaining how there is NO realism in many things, skipping dialouge to make our game quicker and smoother. Yet there is PLENTY of realism in the doors closing, and us having to open them to get through. His point is, why is this inconvenience there, when it has been removed in so many other places? SACRIFICING realism in those places. Read and understand the post before you reply.

I still don't give a darn about whether or not the doors stay open or close on their own, so please don't attack my door belief's. And for heavens sake, READ my post before you reply to it. Thank you and good day.

Blakdragon39.png

Did you guys even read what he said? He isn't complaining about the lack of realism in closing doors.. He's complaining how there is NO realism in many things, skipping dialouge to make our game quicker and smoother. Yet there is PLENTY of realism in the doors closing, and us having to open them to get through. His point is, why is this inconvenience there, when it has been removed in so many other places?

Have you read any of the earlier posts. I already explained more than once now that it was put in to stop bots, not for realism.

SACRIFICING realism in those places. Read and understand the post before you reply

Hurr durr irony. emot-regd09.gif

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Perhaps, over the years, Shanty has learned that when people press 5gp into his hand, they don't want a waterskin for the most part. Perhaps the guards have learned their stuff enough to know you ARE serious about going into the desert as you hand them your pass. And of course, perhaps when you name a destination, Ali has stopped paying them extra for lengthy explanations on the very fact that yes, it is a carpet, and yes, magic does exist.

As for the Al-Karid boarder guards that you forgot to mention quickpaying past.... well, lets just say there was an indecent some time back >.>