When do we get a REAL update?

Lep

People have been complaining more about updates in the past year (ever since they deemed it "upgrade" year) and this year has been no better so far.

I would say that those of you who see no problem with the updates of the past 1-2 years simply were not around before that. When RS2 came out, we got a huge flood of fresh, interesting, and challenging updates. Almost every month brought some type of new quest or feature that the community was genuinely interested in. It is truly sad that it has been many years since the release of Slayer and Barrows, yet the whip and barrows armor are still the standard for most people.

I blame RS HD. I think that the new engines and graphics are probably too complicated to deliver the type of updates we were recieving 4 years ago. I mean, back when we had much simpler graphics, updates like barrows, elven lands, etc...were all being released with no such complaints from the community.

Now we are getting tiny updates that are full of glitches, and interesting content is taking far too long to come out.

It is pretty interesting that, when they released Summoning, it was basically a huge flop. If you were around during RSC, you know that for years and years the players were expecting summoning to come out. Finally, it comes out, and they rushed it, didn't put enough thought into it, and the skill was basically only half done.

That isn't the Jagex I used to know 4 or 5 years ago. People say the updates have been bad for a year, but honestly it has been longer than that.

I think you've been delusional. Not to mention that you're talking about a time when the game had barely anything, compared to now. The players of the past were starved and easily satisfied, but not today. That doesn't mean that updates are not the standard that they used to be. And yes, I was one of the few guys trying out RS2 when it came out. Should the game begin today with the standards of RS2, it doesn't even stand a chance for people to bother trying out.

When I'm bored sometimes, I'll surf the tip.it general chat from the last page, which is still around the time where BTSs were around. It's pretty much the same level of complaints as now, so I'd say that the game is doing it right. :thumbup:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I now consider Runescape to be a game of Jenga that has long been completely unstable. No matter what small move they do, something else is completely screwed up. I don't blame them for fearing large updates because look at what small updates can do. I still think that they should have said last year, "Screw it. No updates for 6 months. We're going to fix our damn game," and gone on and fixed all the code and suffered the monetary consequences.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I only pay membership to play the game really, if Jagex announced they were gonna stop updating the game, I would still pay for the additional content. Updates are an added bonus.

Thank you, this is exactly what I think. When I was active in Runescape, my goal wasn't to go for the new content when it came out on the first day, sure it was a bonus to have new updates, but my goals of being a member was never to be waiting for the next update, the next added thing, it was to play the content that I'm already paying for.

~Dan

On another note: Although I haven't done this yet, I bet if you compare the number of high level updates from 2009 to previous years, you may actually find that the amount of "High level" content you received was relatively high.

[Edit]: After looking through all of 2009 vs 2008:

The amount of High level content, I'm not even including just plain good updates, I'm talking about updates that are specifically targeting people within the high level ranged, there would be 12 of these updates in 2009, whereas in 2008, there were only 7 of these, and most of them are quests, with "decently high" requirements (60+). However, just as an overall, even the quality of the updates from the past year has been sufficiently better than the ones from 2008. If you actually go back and look at many of the updates, most of the High level updates from 2009 have been in the 2nd half of the year, and most of the first half of the year was to improve the overall quality of game play, whereas 2008 definitely was heavily focused on quests and "fixing" up pvp.

To add on another point, most of the High level updates that were added in 2009 are still used everyday, where as if you compare this to the high level content from 2008, some are seldom touched by high level players. How many people actually craft blood runes, how many people actually hunt grenwalls (until recently due to the Herblore update), Scarabites: the task that everyone hated. The 4 updates that people still use from then are: Armoured zombies, Corporeal beast, and the Slayer Helm and Tormented Demons.

2009 updates that people still use: Extreme/Overload potions, Living Caverns, Dragon Pickaxe, Evil Trees, High Level agility courses, Ivy, Kuradel's dungeon, and probably some other that i missed.

Note: I do realize that summoning was released in 2008...but, is that considered High level content given that it targets "everyone"?

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

I thought January was a pretty decent month. :P

All the others, despite this sudden urge from a lot of people for 'high level content', I have to agree with some thoughts that have been echoed through the posts, not everyone is a high level and Jagex can't be catering to them all the time, the other players deserve something they can do. (I do know of lower leveled people who were absolutely thrilled with recent updates as they could participate in them, they enjoyed them too!)

Plus the way I see it personally, I think as the year passes, we are gradually building up in the requirements of quests and new content, it reset after January. We are back to the low leveled updates and over the year we will see more and more difficult content. (I can't really remember the start of last year, but it kind of had a similar pattern didn't it?) Plus we have a new skill coming out soon, which should keep us very busy.

Until then, even though I don't have as much time to play I have plenty of tasks to complete to keep me occupied, I can only see someone having reason to'demand' content is when they have 200M XP in all skills. XD You just have to look around and get out of your comfort zone to try something new in RS, to keep you busy. :P

Plus the way I see it personally, I think as the year passes, we are gradually building up in the requirements of quests and new content, it reset after January. We are back to the low leveled updates and over the year we will see more and more difficult content. (I can't really remember the start of last year, but it kind of had a similar pattern didn't it?) Plus we have a new skill coming out soon, which should keep us very busy.

That definitely was true for 2009

All the High level content was concentrated after July.

~Dan

2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

On another note, I don't think we need to consider all the high level content under development. This is should be in regards to released content.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I remember the days when we only had updates once a month and nobody complained, ever.

There is absolutely so much in this game that you can do to pass the time. Also remember that not everyone is maxed out and a few months ago during the high-level bonanza, plenty of people were complaining that there was nothing for low/mid levelled players.

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

Hunting to me marked the start of decline of RS.

Sure there have been a few bright spots but its all fluff compared to the old days.

This year was looking promising but really took a dive after that effin hp screw over. :mad:

Now the game is back focused on players level 1-40 again.

New skill, meh.

Take back hunting, farming ,and summoning first and make them into something nice.

I swear I get more use out of firemaking than them lol.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

This year was looking promising but really took a dive after that effin hp screw over. :mad:

Now the game is back focused on players level 1-40 again.

They changed how Hp works, simply adding another digit at the end and not actually effecting much in the game.

They release a free to play quest and some more nice updates for the lower level players among us, and all of a sudden everything is aimed at low levels? Eh, I think not!

Haven't we already seen what some would call elite content? Yes, we have. Will those low levels be able to use that content, any time soon? No, they won't. Will you? Yes. Probably right away, I bet however you weren't complaining because others couldn't take advantage of what you had available. You can, too, use the content they're releasing. Yet, still complain. I'm positive there's content in this game that you haven't completed so why not take a swing at that, and by then you'll see some more "High level updates", which we have been seeing quite often, in-fact.

Why is a large portion of the community will never just take a step back and say to themselves:

"Well, we have this content and it's just great! And I'm glad to see Jagex aren't just catering for us, but also for the lower levels. I'm sure they'll release more content for us in the future, so lets go ahead and play what we already have rather than complaining about everything that's released that doesn't quite suit our needs."

Lets pray that that day comes at some stage.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

On another note, I don't think we need to consider all the high level content under development. This is should be in regards to released content.

Future updates should be considered. Sure, the last few months have been 'dry' for epic updates, but when you look at the end of 09 and January 2010 there were some fairly large updates in there. Jagex can't just keep pumping out epic update after epic update otherwise a) they'll go broke from all the R&D money they spend, and b ) come to and end-game scenerio much faster.

From the sounds of things, Jagex is looking at 4(?) 'epic sized' updates confirmed for this year. That's good enough for me. But what I don't want them to do is what WoW does, just hold all the little updates that are done until they have enough updates to just throw out all at once. I would much rather have Jagex do what they're doing. Make large updates at a decent pace but have smaller 'filler' updates in between. Although, if you want an huge update every month, I'm sure Jagex wouldn't mind as long as you pick up the tab...They're just simply not a big enough company to make giant, game changing updates a normal occurance.

New skill, meh.

Take back hunting, farming ,and summoning first and make them into something nice.

Hunting has a lot of good uses. Herblore, range, hides for summoning, implings with sweet loot.

Farming gives us herbs (what would herb prices be like without farming?), foods, trees that we can cut privately.

Summoning is THE most usefull skill there is. There are so many types of familiar from BoB's to fighting familiars. This is the only skill I really miss when I go F2P.

I only pay membership to play the game really, if Jagex announced they were gonna stop updating the game, I would still pay for the additional content. Updates are an added bonus.

Thank you, this is exactly what I think. When I was active in Runescape, my goal wasn't to go for the new content when it came out on the first day, sure it was a bonus to have new updates, but my goals of being a member was never to be waiting for the next update, the next added thing, it was to play the content that I'm already paying for.

~Dan

On another note: Although I haven't done this yet, I bet if you compare the number of high level updates from 2009 to previous years, you may actually find that the amount of "High level" content you received was relatively high.

The amount of High level content, I'm not even including just plain good updates, I'm talking about updates that are specifically targeting people within the high level ranged, there would be 12 of these updates in 2009, whereas in 2008, there were only 7 of these, and most of them are quests, with "decently high" requirements (60+). However, just as an overall, even the quality of the updates from the past year has been sufficiently better than the ones from 2008. If you actually go back and look at many of the updates, most of the High level updates from 2009 have been in the 2nd half of the year, and most of the first half of the year was to improve the overall quality of game play, whereas 2008 definitely was heavily focused on quests and "fixing" up pvp.

To add on another point, most of the High level updates that were added in 2009 are still used everyday, where as if you compare this to the high level content from 2008, some are seldom touched by high level players. How many people actually craft blood runes, how many people actually hunt grenwalls (until recently due to the Herblore update), Scarabites: the task that everyone hated. The 4 updates that people still use from then are: Armoured zombies, Corporeal beast, and the Slayer Helm and Tormented Demons.

2009 updates that people still use: Extreme/Overload potions, Living Caverns, Dragon Pickaxe, Evil Trees, High Level agility courses, Ivy, Kuradel's dungeon, and probably some other that i missed.

Note: I do realize that summoning was released in 2008...but, is that considered High level content given that it targets "everyone"?

What I think you may be overlooking is the relative definition of "high level" as the years go by. When slayer was released, it seemed like only the most elite of players could get 85. People simply werent as good at the game, and there werent as many "vets" who had been playing long enough to achieve high levels. But sometime in the past year or two, the player base grew a lot, and also the amount of high levels skyrocketed. I remember that max skill total used to seem like almost nobody could achieve it. Now, to even make it on the front page, you need to max your total AND train up some extra exp to boot.

People are just higher leveled now. When barrows was released, 70-80 level in the combat stats was actually pretty good. I would say that the level of "rarity" of 70 defence back then is probably analogous to level 80-90ish today. The frustration comes from high level players because as the player base has grown in level, the game has not grown accordingly.

Compare this to other sucessful MMORPGS where the player base maxes out one expansion, then every new piece of content added to the game is designed for the high levels who "completed" the previous expansions already.

I am definitely not saying RS should be like this, but it could stand to be a LITTLE MORE like it.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

New skill, meh.

It's always amusing how the people who whine the most about wanting new content are incapable of understanding and using the content they already have.

Those are three of the best skills in the game. Summoning is by far the most versatile, Hunter and Farming are superb money skills.

Learn how to use the gear shifter and the steering wheel before you bug the car company for more bells and whistles. And if all you want is a new dungeon with "uber st00f" drops released every month, you're playing the wrong game.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

New skill, meh.

It's always amusing how the people who whine the most about wanting new content are incapable of understanding and using the content they already have.

Those are three of the best skills in the game. Summoning is by far the most versatile, Hunter and Farming are superb money skills.

Learn how to use the gear shifter and the steering wheel before you bug the car company for more bells and whistles. And if all you want is a new dungeon with "uber st00f" drops released every month, you're playing the wrong game.

I wouldn't say hunter is a GREAT skill.

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

Overall, Hunter is the best money-making skill in RuneScape.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Hunter is a far better skill than Runecrafting. You can make lots of money right from the start; there is a lot more variety and ways to train the skill and make money, and at high levels you can make more than anything you can get from Runecrafting -- IF you know what you are doing.

signew2.png

Note: In no way is this directed at the OP.

Sorry, but to be blunt, it angers me (to put it very politely) when people complain that they're paying for something that they're not happy with and say they're not getting what they're paying for.

Not happy with it? Then stop paying for it and don't play. The point of members is to have added content. It doesn't mean you'll always get kick-[wagon] updates, it doesn't mean that they're going to cater to YOU and only YOU. Just because you can shell off a few bucks a month doesn't mean you are the CEO, CFO, and the Head Development for the game. Throw out that elitist feeling just because your family helped you pay for members, or that you paid for it yourself, because you chose to use that money on the game instead of something else that would probably give you more satisfaction then if you're so unhappy.

You're not forced to pay for the game, you're most certainly not forced to play the game. And there is no restriction to how you should play the game. You don't have to do the quests, you don't have to participate in the activities. Go do something you want to do or leave it.

I for one am quite happy with what's given. Better something than NOTHING at all.

pkfrlg031.png

We all have our opinions on how the updates are going, but please, don't make it sound like you ordered Jagex to do something and they failed to meet your expectations just because you pay.

[hide]

~Dan

[/hide]

What I think you may be overlooking is the relative definition of "high level" as the years go by. When slayer was released, it seemed like only the most elite of players could get 85. People simply werent as good at the game, and there werent as many "vets" who had been playing long enough to achieve high levels. But sometime in the past year or two, the player base grew a lot, and also the amount of high levels skyrocketed. I remember that max skill total used to seem like almost nobody could achieve it. Now, to even make it on the front page, you need to max your total AND train up some extra exp to boot.

People are just higher leveled now. When barrows was released, 70-80 level in the combat stats was actually pretty good. I would say that the level of "rarity" of 70 defence back then is probably analogous to level 80-90ish today. The frustration comes from high level players because as the player base has grown in level, the game has not grown accordingly.

Compare this to other sucessful MMORPGS where the player base maxes out one expansion, then every new piece of content added to the game is designed for the high levels who "completed" the previous expansions already.

I am definitely not saying RS should be like this, but it could stand to be a LITTLE MORE like it.

Fine, but even now, what is the definition of a high level? If you want Jagex to release updates for a certain group of people, in which you as a player always fall in, then what about everyone else? If, for example, one year ago, the category you fell into, was the "High level" people with around 1700 total, and by that standard, you assumed that to be high leveled, and thereby, Jagex should've been releasing updates for that category, and now, with the "High level" people with around 2100 total, and you fall within that category, they should release it for this group? I don't get it, why should Jagex not focus on the majority of the people, who still fall into the category of the "1700 total" (Making up a number here). Even now, if you consider what high level means, the lowest of the top 5% of players on Runescape haven't even made it to 1900 total, having Jagex release updates that are directed towards a minority of people who fall into the "High level" category, that is less than half a percent of players, perhaps the top 20,000 players might fall into your category of "High leveled". Jagex is releasing High leveled updates, just that you and me are beyond High leveled, and still waiting for the 99.5% of the population to catch up.

Also, when you mentioned other games, there is one significant difference between how many other games are built compared to Runescape, the majority of other games are focused on the combat aspect of the game, rather than unique skills and non-combat mixed in with combat skills. By having such a model where there is such a broad range of skills to train and do, I don't get how we even need more updates right now to satisfy us, if Runescape was not updated for 6 months, I'm sure all of us would still have plenty of new things to try and do. And also, if you actually have read earlier posts, the year progresses in difficulty (in general), with the beginning of the years offering new skills, simpler quests with a few "difficult" things scattered througout, and later on in the year, the concentration of High level updates are released.

Perhaps we need to learn more patience and learn to appreciate what we have. Getting new "toys" can be fun, but the more we want and the more we get, the more we forget about what we already have.

~Dan

2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

Agreed with MHL/OP, they couldve just put all these crappy updates in one system update, theyre too tiny to even make a post for imo. its like something a mediocre game developer would do in 8 hours.

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Agreed with MHL/OP, they couldve just put all these crappy updates in one system update, theyre too tiny to even make a post for imo. its like something a mediocre game developer would do in 8 hours.

Really? Have you ever actually done game programming and design? Can you implement all of this in 8 hours with nearly no bugs, good artwork, storyline? If so, you should be working for a game company right now.

~Dan

2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

I think someone doesn't quite understand what goes into an update. You don't simply enter in the text to your idea and have the system create it all, from scratch. And would you rather nothing for a month or small updates that make you go, "Oh, that's a nice little update :)". I think I'd rather that, not expecting what's coming and even if it is something that's not some high level content or whatever but you simply reacting to it with an attitude that's not hostile.

I say keep 'em coming Jagex, you're doing a wonderful job. :thumbup: I don't expect everything that's put into this game to be playable by me, and I simply don't care if it's something that isn't useful for me at all. But there's going to be others that will appreciate it. They're the ones that aren't on here praising Jagex, and even if they were, their voices would be outdone by those who are whining and gaining these so-called "Supporting" lists.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Hunter is a far better skill than Runecrafting. You can make lots of money right from the start; there is a lot more variety and ways to train the skill and make money, and at high levels you can make more than anything you can get from Runecrafting -- IF you know what you are doing.

It's not as good as herb farming though <3

MstrMonopoly.png

I piety the fool.

Sheesh, Can't you people appreciate the hard work they do?

They may be small updates. But they're still updates.

They are merely using the force to hynotise us into thinking that there is such a thing as a bad update.

Bringing me back to the Minigames (activites) subject.

They are not there for the rewards sometimes.

Sometimes you are supposed to do them because they are fun.

Take Duel Arena for an example.

Do you earn new items? Not usually.

Do you make money? Maybe miniscule.

Why do people play it you ask?

They play it because they think it's FUN!