Holiday Quests

Me_Hate_Libs

First off, not a rant. This is also not about the new easter event event.

Okay, the new Easter event is not what you'd call "original." Basically it's the same thing again. I understand why. It's easy to simply use old code when you develop a piece of content that's only going to last a couple of weeks. This is why Holiday Quests were a great idea. People still had the 2 weeks to complete it, whether they be f2p or p2p and after the two weeks were up, the quest became members. Nothing went to waste. The holiday quests that they did are still there and still being completed.

I think that it was a great idea that they have foolishly abandoned in favor of rewrapping old content into a brand new event. What does everyone else think?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I also enjoyed holiday quests, sure i had all the time in Gielinor since i was members, but they felt way more original and well-developed compared to this year's easter event.

But i will refrain myself from comment until i see april fool's.

Yes, this year's event was unoriginal, contrived, and boring. Not that I blame them for that. I wouldn't waste time on temporary content either. That's why the quests were such a great idea.

Guys, stay on track. (I removed your posts if you were wondering)

Secondly, I haven't done the event yet, and am I right in guessing from what you said that it isn't a quest? If so, I don't know how to feel. Eh, I will have to go take a look for myself.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

and am I right in guessing from what you said that it isn't a quest? If so, I don't know how to feel. Eh, I will have to go take a look for myself.

4234.png

Depends on what your definition of a "quest" is.

And when you mean "quest," OP, is that like Swept Away and Myths of the White Lands (I can tell because those are my only two P2P quests in my log)? I think keeping the quests after the holiday has passed doesn't make it seem festive. To me, it's sort of like having Christmas Crackers lying on the ground everyday. If what I'm talking about doesn't make sense, then I have completely missed the point.

zBSYE.png

^ Blog.

Zh0c4.gif

I would agree, but I really do not want to end up with 5 christmas, halloween and easter themed quests in RS...

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

How about Jagex stick to what they were doing, and just hand out the Holiday items in a small event or simply no event. I'd say everybody who was there for Rubber Chickens, with the easter bunny and handing out chocolate eggs, would say that that event was the best of them all. How about we just get a repeat of that event every year instead a quest that I didn't like the first time I did it.

Holidays in Runescape are getting out of hand. We have all these new events popping up every other holiday. I'm starting to wonder how much time is actually spent on creating these things, and with april fools coming up I'm dreading to see another waste of Jagex' time. I'd rather see something useful in this game that gives me a reason to play it, rather than something that I log in just to complete.

Stellactic.gif

Yes, I was talking about Swept Away and Myths of the White Lands. The beauty of the quests was that while seasonal, they weren't really holiday oriented. One issue is that not only are the vents awful, boring, and unoriginal, they're also incredibly short too. It's a waste of time on temporary content. That time could be better spent doing practically anything else.

Yes, I was talking about Swept Away and Myths of the White Lands. The beauty of the quests was that while seasonal, they weren't really holiday oriented. One issue is that not only are the vents awful, boring, and unoriginal, they're also incredibly short too. It's a waste of time on temporary content. That time could be better spent doing practically anything else.

You bring up a good point, the quests weren't exactly Christmas and Halloween oriented, they were just a bit seasonal but would really make sense anytime during the year. As long as none of the quests are too specific about the holiday they'd be associated with then I'd love to see them bring the quests back.

Yes, this year's event was unoriginal, contrived, and boring. Not that I blame them for that. I wouldn't waste time on temporary content either. That's why the quests were such a great idea.

Theyre the same THINGS, theyre NOT different. Theyre THE SAME THINGS. A quest IS an event, do you NOT get it???

35hedkh.jpg

Theyre the same THINGS, theyre NOT different. Theyre THE SAME THINGS. A quest IS an event, do you NOT get it???

Your awful posting style aside, the reason they're not the same thing is that the quests can stay after the holiday is over and the events are all for naught. If they stayed around they might put a little more effort into the quests than the events which are rather unoriginal.

My thoughs exactly, but one thing i liked from the event was tehf actory management, if they made a minigame based on it, i'd be gratefull actually.

I like the factory management part for this year's event. I always consider them as event not as quest. I think its a little bonus if you become member and that you can do it if you missed it in the past.

Being said that, I guess more people prefer the old style where event should stay around for certain time and disappear forever after it was done? Just for comparison, how was the first few Easter events compare to the recent Easter event now? Is it bigger or smaller for the most part? But my favoritism always been simple and short for most holiday event since I hate to solve puzzle for most part, and try to complete those event as fast as I can (still enjoy them nevertheless)

Story wise, I guess its a continuity from previous Easter to see how is the Easter Bunny Junior is doing with their family business. I guess based on the player feedback, Jagex could always make a bigger event next year.

a happy Runescaper

I honestly think they should do away with the events. I don't give half a crap about the runescape easter bunny or santa. I even couldn't care less about the Grim Reaper (though the Halloween Events tend to be better than the others.)

A season themed quest but one that isn't exactly specific are so much better. It broadcasts the "mood" so to say, but the content isnt wasted.

enex2sigjpegkm3.jpg

Do you hate Wyverns or Warped Terrorbirds? Think again! Misunderstood Monsters!

Want to become a Champion of Champions like I once was? Champion Scroll Guide!

Feeling Bored? List of Sidequests

Rare Drops: Dragon Sq Half : 1, Dragon Med : 2, Dragon Claws : 2, Dragon Legs : 1, Dragon Boots : 60+, Granite Legs: 8

How about Jagex stick to what they were doing, and just hand out the Holiday items in a small event or simply no event. I'd say everybody who was there for Rubber Chickens, with the easter bunny and handing out chocolate eggs, would say that that event was the best of them all. How about we just get a repeat of that event every year instead a quest that I didn't like the first time I did it.

Holidays in Runescape are getting out of hand. We have all these new events popping up every other holiday. I'm starting to wonder how much time is actually spent on creating these things, and with april fools coming up I'm dreading to see another waste of Jagex' time. I'd rather see something useful in this game that gives me a reason to play it, rather than something that I log in just to complete.

I was grounded off the computer during the rubber chicken. my brothers and friends all got, except for me. :( I got a yo-yo though!

And I like events better than quests, sorry.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

I liked it better when they did the quests, thought it was really cool...

I think they struggle to keep things fresh with holiday events next easter they've dropped hints at a bunny suit which if it comes with the mask/head part then bunny ears are pretty much useless

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

The concept behind holiday quests is nice. However in 5 years time you'll end up with 15 seasonal quests, 5 winter, 5 easter and 5 hallowe'en.

I think they're right to re-use the same basic layout for each event, as it probably saves alot of time when designing it. Jagex just need to be inventive with their events. Perhaps re-use the toy-factory for Christmas and cycle through the different areas once every few years?

So:

2010: Easter Bunny Workshop, Hallowe'en at Deaths House, Christmas in the Toy Factory

2011: Give out chocolate eggs to random NPC's, Hallowe'en go trick or treating, Christmas go to see Jack Frost.

2012: Easter Bunny Workshop but different, Hallowe'en at Deaths House but different etc etc etc.

A two year cycle with varying events but the same basic layout would ease up on the workload and stop people saying "oh this was the same as last year". Although no doubt some haters would then say "oh its the same as two years ago". But screw them :)

asrhasrh.jpg

My thoughs exactly, but one thing i liked from the event was tehf actory management, if they made a minigame based on it, i'd be gratefull actually.

Actually, unless I'm mistaken, it's based on a mini-game already in the game called Manage Thy Kingdom.

Silverfox30.png

If you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.
^^^At least I'm not the only crazy one

I for one am sick of the stupid BS items that we get 10 of every year. They're just stupid USELESS collectible items that I'm forced to log on to get because if I don't get it now I can NEVER EVER EVER get it again later.

Why not reuse some of the old ones and stop filling up my toy box with junk?!

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

I think events are the correct approach in the way that they make some distinction as to how long a person has been playing, it's a fun extra. Under the assumption they are active enough throughout that time of year that is (for example, I missed the chicken suit since I took a break from RS at that time/was in Greece).

I'd rather see them keep that "feature" of the holiday events and as such I'm against the quest idea.

However, I would like it if a bit more time was put into the event. This Easter event seemed too much like "just a copy", though the factory management was a nice addition.

10y3vig.png

proudtitan.png

Yes, but Swept Away gave us both a quest and the broom, though anybody playing the broom can get it anytime. I think we have enough pointless event items.