Saradomin godswords uses for slayer

But you should not own a sgs in the first place, sure maybe if you buy it because you like it but apart from that no reason to.

Check it out, huge amount of effort has gone into this massive mod!

ODG6e0M.png

[hide=old sig]

newsig.png

[/hide]

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But you should not own a sgs in the first place, sure maybe if you buy it because you like it but apart from that no reason to.

Depends, if you have the cash lying around, why not? If you have a EE and a stack of unproductive 70million cash in your bank, you can always convert that to a SGS to replace EE, especially if you're a heavy user of EE. A SGS would make that 100% special bar even more productive in terms of healing.

For most slayers starting out, the issue is always the amount of cash you have and the rate at which you make them. The general trend for me was starting with

-rune plate, dragon skirt, amulet of glory, dragon scimitar and food, helm of netiznot and other crappy slot items

-replaced rune plate with granite plate

-obtained black mask

-replaced scimitar with whip

-obtained barrows gloves

-obtained Guthans to heal

-obtained dragon boots

(At this point I started realising the potential of boss hunting)

-hunted my own bandos chestplate and tasset

-obtained cannon

-obtained zamorakian spear

-obtained 68 summoning

-obtained amulet of fury

-obtained EE as part of trying to complete everything in game

-obtained 89 summoning

By this point in time, I could have gotten a SGS to upgrade EE as well. But I also don't think that I'll slot "Obtained SGS" any earlier than right now, since there are other more useful and/or easily obtainable options to go for. And when you're used to 96 levels of no SGS slaying, another 3 levels won't hurt much.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I don't think you can rationally justify any gs but the bgs for any activity. Luckily it's a game, so we can simply play to have fun. 75m extra for an ags to see higher hits? sure! as long as that's what you find fun

Actually, the BGS and ZGS both fail.

their stats are identical, specs are very infrequent in the grand sceme of hits. would you pay 75m to have your whip do a claw spec, or sgs spec? i doubt it.

You're trying a LITTLE too hard when you try to argue that the SGS special can outdamage a D claw special. :rolleyes: Granted I don't have any statistics on my hand, but you can always prove it otherwise.

It really depends on the opponent. Doing four zeros on a critter with high defence doesn't help you any more than doing one zero. Dragon claws have a fancy special but are a very weak weapon overall.

The ideal situation is to have all the tools available to you. SGS, D claws, EE, food, familiars, Soul Split....but if I can't afford everything, or have to sacrifice one for another, I'll just sell the SGS without hesitation in exchange for say, a pair of claws + summoning levels.

Yes, it's a luxury item for those who can afford it. But it is one of the most useful of luxury items. It's convenient and fun to use and enables modes of gameplay not easily accessible to those without it.

In many ways the SGS is my "security blanket". I often have to test with a whip for various guides where I don't want to assume fancy expensive gear, and I always feel naked without the SGS. It's just comforting to know that I can pull some prayer and food "out of a hat" twice every 5 minutes.

I paid 72m for mine the week after the GWD came out. I've probably saved half that much in food and potions since, and it's still worth roughly what it cost me.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

It really depends on the opponent. Doing four zeros on a critter with high defence doesn't help you any more than doing one zero. Dragon claws have a fancy special but are a very weak weapon overall.

Let's assume that you're right on the dragon claw spec being less accurate than a SGS spec. Out of the whole list of slayer task, how many strong critters are there? Anything that you can hit fairly accurately with a whip, d claws spec would be decently damaging as well, which would mean a large proportion of the task.

I paid 72m for mine the week after the GWD came out. I've probably saved half that much in food and potions since, and it's still worth roughly what it cost me.

Probably not. Try injecting a few numbers in yourself and estimate how close you are to saving 30million GP off a sword.

On a sidenote, I prefer the special animation of EE, which is why I don't bother with a SGS. I carry my EE around for quests and clue, just so that I can heal without even a single monster around, and don't have to worry about carrying an expensive item in my inventory.

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

would you pay 75m to have your whip do a claw spec, or sgs spec? i doubt it.

I would pay it in a second.

PM me in game anytime

It's a lot easier then that for an idiot to sound smart on the internet.

That's exactly what you're doing right now... just saying.

Probably not. Try injecting a few numbers in yourself and estimate how close you are to saving 30million GP off a sword.

It's not really very estimable. But given that this works out to around what, 35k per day since I've had it, the number might actually be too low.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

It's not really very estimable. But given that this works out to around what, 35k per day since I've had it, the number might actually be too low.

I can calculate it for you, based on just your rate of slayer EXP per hour.

Zepheras.png

-F1775

Why you would want to camp is beyond me.

Banking is good especially since the value of alot of common drops (herbs, seeds, bones, and gems) is high.

Personally, SGS is no more valuable than ZGS or BGS to me.

Food, excalibur, and, soul split is all I use.

I wouldn't waste my money on expensive summoning junk or hoarded items like SGS.

If i did want to camp I would just dust off my guthans.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

You have some good points....however, a few things bug me:

Soul Split. Yeah, ok, it rocks, it's better then the healing effect of SGS....er, except, if I sold my sgs and spent all my money on dragon bones....I wouldn't have soul split.

Interest. Assuming 1% interest on 35m. Ok, if you merch stuff at the GE that's fabulous. I don't. There's no bank on RS I can just shove 35m in and expect interest.

And, personal preference, I don't like specs like dragon claws. Perhaps it's because last time I owned a set (for like 10 minutes lol) I used the special twice on two level 21 guards in Edgeville and failed to kill them. And I personally don't like the idea of a special which only helps on one monster.

Oh and I do like TD's :P

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

DDS specs are the best use of your special bar on most tasks.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

You ask: "Why use SGS with so many options available?"

I ask: "Why do that other stuff when I could use SGS?"

You think that D claws speed up your task in comparison to SGS, yet you seem to neglect all the time you spend picking up bones and turning them into peaches and eating them.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

The use for which most people recommend the SGS is slayer. I'll quote my analysis of the SGS vs Dragon Claws for slayer from another thread:

Say you play 5 hours a day, and spend 4 hours of that slaying, and you use combat prayers. SGS will save you 15 prayer points and 300 hp per 5 minutes (full bar, averaging 300 damage per spec). But, you only save 100 hp more than if you used an SGS. This equates to 180 prayer points and 1200 hitpoints per hour. This saves a player 15k in prayer potions and 5k in food. 30k saved per hour. So you play 4 hours a day, so you save 80k per day with the SGS. However the SGS costs 35m more than dragon claws. If we completely disregard the combat benefits of the claws, you lose interest on that 35m. If you can manage 1% a day (VERY easy, you can get 10% in two 4-hour periods), you lose 350k a day by owning an SGS over a dragon claws.

So even without considering Dragon claws' use, SGS saves you 80k a day but you forgo 350-3,500k a day.

When you add in the fact that every 5 minutes you get to increase two attacks of your Abyssal whip's average hit of about 280 (320 in Kuradal's) to 625 (785 in Kuradal's) with dragon claws, or 690 (930 in Kuradal's) free damage per bar. So every hour you get about 3.3k free damage (4.5k in Kuradal's). If you assume you're getting the BEST tasks for xp (in which Claws make the least difference, to be conservative), you'd be getting about 120k xp outside and about 160k xp inside. Claws will save you about 99 seconds per hour outside and 135 seconds per hour inside. and If you assume 3m/hour (VERY conservative for someone with the requirements to get these rates), you'll save 82.5k worth of time (112k in Kuradal's). On TOP of that, you'll be making about 27k (37k in Kuradal's) in drops per hour.

So here's what claws do, per hour: 109.5k, 149k inside Kuradal's. If you slay for 4 hours (as assumed), you'll save and/or earn 438-596k a day. Beats the 80k of SGS or the 350k of 1% interest. Claws are always better than SGS for slaying. The more you play per day, the better claws become over the interest rate, too.

tl;dr: Claws are 6-7 times better than SGS.

Not only is math wrong in this, and many things overlooked, but it fails to realize that sgs isn't about saving food and prayer because of costs, but because it makes a trip last longer. If that extra HP and prayer you get from sgs allows you to kill 20 dragons before banking and claws allow you to get 15 kills, you have to count all the extra time you spend banking. The time it takes to bank far outweighs the extra time that claws save (did you count that dragon claws isn't just an extra 625 damage because you take a combat turn using special?)

On Topic: I feel that SGS isn't needed anymore because how many ways there are to heal w/o food. Generally using a combination of one or two of those methods keeps you healed on most slayer tasks. SGS is an option, but is way more expensive for little to no advantage over other healing methods. I see SGS as a status symbol of wealth, showing that you have mil's to spend on something you use for a special.

Also you forgot to mention guthans. Although its ignored by high level slayer for more efficient options, It still deserves a spot on your list. Its great for when your taking a lot of damage where other methods can't keep up (tanking and DK's anyone?)

Soldin_911.png

The use for which most people recommend the SGS is slayer. I'll quote my analysis of the SGS vs Dragon Claws for slayer from another thread:

Say you play 5 hours a day, and spend 4 hours of that slaying, and you use combat prayers. SGS will save you 15 prayer points and 300 hp per 5 minutes (full bar, averaging 300 damage per spec). But, you only save 100 hp more than if you used an SGS. This equates to 180 prayer points and 1200 hitpoints per hour. This saves a player 15k in prayer potions and 5k in food. 30k saved per hour. So you play 4 hours a day, so you save 80k per day with the SGS. However the SGS costs 35m more than dragon claws. If we completely disregard the combat benefits of the claws, you lose interest on that 35m. If you can manage 1% a day (VERY easy, you can get 10% in two 4-hour periods), you lose 350k a day by owning an SGS over a dragon claws.

So even without considering Dragon claws' use, SGS saves you 80k a day but you forgo 350-3,500k a day.

When you add in the fact that every 5 minutes you get to increase two attacks of your Abyssal whip's average hit of about 280 (320 in Kuradal's) to 625 (785 in Kuradal's) with dragon claws, or 690 (930 in Kuradal's) free damage per bar. So every hour you get about 3.3k free damage (4.5k in Kuradal's). If you assume you're getting the BEST tasks for xp (in which Claws make the least difference, to be conservative), you'd be getting about 120k xp outside and about 160k xp inside. Claws will save you about 99 seconds per hour outside and 135 seconds per hour inside. and If you assume 3m/hour (VERY conservative for someone with the requirements to get these rates), you'll save 82.5k worth of time (112k in Kuradal's). On TOP of that, you'll be making about 27k (37k in Kuradal's) in drops per hour.

How many slayer task actually forces you to make more than a trip if you don't have a SGS, but have other methods of healing? :mellow:

So here's what claws do, per hour: 109.5k, 149k inside Kuradal's. If you slay for 4 hours (as assumed), you'll save and/or earn 438-596k a day. Beats the 80k of SGS or the 350k of 1% interest. Claws are always better than SGS for slaying. The more you play per day, the better claws become over the interest rate, too.

tl;dr: Claws are 6-7 times better than SGS.

Not only is math wrong in this, and many things overlooked, but it fails to realize that sgs isn't about saving food and prayer because of costs, but because it makes a trip last longer. If that extra HP and prayer you get from sgs allows you to kill 20 dragons before banking and claws allow you to get 15 kills, you have to count all the extra time you spend banking. The time it takes to bank far outweighs the extra time that claws save (did you count that dragon claws isn't just an extra 625 damage because you take a combat turn using special?)

On Topic: I feel that SGS isn't needed anymore because how many ways there are to heal w/o food. Generally using a combination of one or two of those methods keeps you healed on most slayer tasks. SGS is an option, but is way more expensive for little to no advantage over other healing methods. I see SGS as a status symbol of wealth, showing that you have mi's to spend on something you use for a special.

What kind of banking are you talking about, banking due to a full inventory or banking due to a lack of healing resources?

Zepheras.png

-F1775

All the tools you need for power-slaying: Proselyte, fury, zerker, slay helm, b gloves, dragon boots, whip, Z spear, rune defender, fire cape/sw cape and karils top & bottom. With these items in your bank, you can do pretty much any task there is and do it fast. Although some levels are also required, like: 90+ herblore for extremes, 95 prayer.

I think it sums it up. Personally I have never owned an sgs for slaying and I probably never will. I turmoil all of my tasks and when I run low hp, I soul split it up. Guthan/SGS are so 2008.

I'm not so sure about that. One thing he mentioned is right, you have that 100% special bar, and you either use it to speed up your kills, or heal. But with so many healing methods, SGS has very little use especially if we're talking about slayer. Assuming that a player who can afford a SGS is somewhat decent in his combat stats, majority of the number of slayer tasks can be completed with just bunyip for healing, or a unicorn if you need more, and you speed up your task using DDS/D claws. The only tasks that can justify SGS usage are the ones in a multicombat zone, where you might consider a combat familiar, and heal with SGS.

The value of d claws is severely overestimated when it comes to fighting tough critters. It has a nice special but it is still a weak weapon that misses frequently -- you're talking a difference of about 75 points in both accuracy and strength. The SGS also has an undocumented bonus that comes into play in its special that appears to increase damage -- I always get higher hits with the special.

If the goal is speed then it's necessary to look at everything in context. An SGS allows you to cut down on travel and banking time, and to save money on not just supplies but by being able to use a beast of burden to carry drops instead of a healing familiar. You can also use boosting prayers to enhance combat more easily.

With a good familiar, healing with SGS is worthless. That leaves the prayer, which doesn't make much of a difference, considering you're giving up the chance to D Claw or DDS for around 10 P Points.

And, yes, D Claws are amazing. You say SGS has an "undocumented" power boost, but I think that D Claws also have an undocumented accuracy boost. I almost NEVER miss with them using extremes+turmoil. I take them to Bandos GWD and even Sara GWD, and it almost always hits. It may have lesser attack bonuses, but it still outhits every other special weapon in the game (except for VLS).

guido_49.png

With the SGS, healing familiars are mostly worthless. This is one of the ways that the SGS saves a LOT of money -- you can use a forager or BoB instead of a healer. It adds up very quickly. I use a bunyip rarely, and can't remember the last time I summoned a unicorn.

Do the d claw proponents generally use them all the time, or only for the spec? If the latter, what do you use when not spec'ing?

signew2.png

With the SGS, healing familiars are mostly worthless. This is one of the ways that the SGS saves a LOT of money -- you can use a forager or BoB instead of a healer. It adds up very quickly. I use a bunyip rarely, and can't remember the last time I summoned a unicorn.

SGS is only useful in slayer, and I can't remember when I used a healing familiar for slayer, either. I almost always have a combat familiar or yak out. For healing, I use Soul Split, which is a lot more useful than SGS.

Do the d claw proponents generally use them all the time, or only for the spec? If the latter, what do you use when not spec'ing?

I use D Claws for specs, yes, but I could ask you the same thing. Do you use SGS for specs and combat? If so, I have some bad news for you... I almost always use whip for slayer (the only place where you can argue SGS is useful for), and D Claws for special.

guido_49.png

SGS is only useful in slayer

Hardly.

For healing, I use Soul Split, which is a lot more useful than SGS.

Not sufficient for a lot of tougher monsters, unless you want to use prayer pots or spend every second prayer flipping (which I refuse to do).

I use D Claws for specs, yes, but I could ask you the same thing. Do you use SGS for specs and combat? If so, I have some bad news for you... I almost always use whip for slayer (the only place where you can argue SGS is useful for), and D Claws for special.

I usually use the SGS for both combat and spec. I know it's often slightly slower than a whip, but I enjoy it more so it doesn't bother me much.

I'll test this at some point I suppose. Intuitively, though, I have a hard time believing that the d claw spec is much better than just using a DDS in most PvM situations.

signew2.png

Atm the only GS I use is AGS and BGS. Ags for pure laziness of clicking claw + clicking spec (yes, I am THAT lazy) along with lending out junk. BGS for corp is the 2nd best spec weapon after SWH. My ZGS and SGS has been sitting in my bank now for 2 weeks doing nothing but gathering dust and looking pretty. Honestly if I did not feel the need to have a full GS set, I would not even glance at those 2 things.

120dgl.jpg

Hardly

Examples?

Edit: Forgot TD's. SGS is win for TD's, since it can get you about 3-4 extra kills/trip.

Not sufficient for a lot of tougher monsters, unless you want to use prayer pots or spend every second prayer flipping (which I refuse to do).

If a monster is too tough for Soul Split, it's too tough for SGS, in which case I'd rather use a healing familiar.

I usually use the SGS for both combat and spec. I know it's often slightly slower than a whip, but I enjoy it more so it doesn't bother me much.

I'll test this at some point I suppose. Intuitively, though, I have a hard time believing that the d claw spec is much better than just using a DDS in most PvM situations.

Well, this is about which weapon is more efficient. What you enjoy doing more doesn't apply to anything. Also, D Claws are much better than DDS because DDS has horrible accuracy and strength.

Edit @ yuriqiu: BGS is a horrible weapon for Corp. You barely ever hit more than a 20, which is obviously less than 5% of Corp's total defense. If it's obviously less than 5%, then DL is the better option.

guido_49.png

How dare you, log into tipit but not msn >=(. I think this topic has become another version of 'slayer sucks', really.

Back on topic; I'd say Sgs is outdated, but I'm no slayer, so I couldn't really comment. In Kuradel's dungeon (assuming you do Kuradel tasks), I would think the ferocious ring 32 damage bonus for claws far outweighs the 20 hps you get from Sgs.

But, to be fair, I'm no slayer but Dclaws will always be over Sgs. Too bad it's alch value is so low and is sometimes risked if you carry barrows..

To each their own.

I prefer SGS, so i don't have to summon another Bunyip 40 monsters before the end of the task.

Prayer restore... I can use berserker prayer with no fear of prayer going out. No, i won't bring prayer pots to non-prayer tasks.

It rocks at TDS.

You'd need to SAVE 22.6k bunyips to make SGS worth it there. Bring 1 p pot a task and you can use berserker 100% anyways. If you have any skills at TDs, SGS is useless. AGS/claws are better. More damage, fewer shield raises, more kills/hr. Banking isn't really a factor at TDS. Essentially, you have a psychological attachment to your SGS, but little practical use.

For DKS, I am not quite sure. Personally, I prefer EE. For solo maging, I don't have to switch off auto cast surge, and I don't have to find a spino to hit. For 2.5briding, I don't have to lose the extra range defense to spec sup, so I don't as easily lose the healing I get from spec wep. It is probably better for traditional hybriding though.

However, one of the reasons I prefer the EE is the defense boost. When solo maging, I very rarely brew, if ever. Thus the extra defense is very handy. For 2.5 briding, similar, although not quite the same. As well, you are sure of 200 hp regained, unlike SGS which could spec a 0, although on average it heals what blade put.

Also, ABC, kill/trip is rather irrelevant at TDS. Kills/hr is FAR more important, since banking and getting back takes 3 minutes.

And Queltar, DDS takes 4 attacks to spec a monster, whilst Claws take 2. Not to mention, from personal experience, claws do more damage, especially with the extra 1.5 or 2 whip hits you get in, that you couldn't get in with DDS. Not to mention, I kept track. I hit a 0-1 a grand total of ONE time ever on a slayer task, and that was on a steel drag.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]