Fansite Support (Re-launch)

Howlin0001

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this really a game of who can have the last word? federal highway money? I don't believe we have that act in England sorry, honestly let it go.

At the end of the day we wouldn't be here without Jagex and RuneScape, also undersold? we were never going to get the redcarpet treament honestly, Jagex LOVE runehq they invited them all for a big bash at the Jagex HQ last year remember? yet where was Tip.its invite lost in the mail? favouritism will always happen get used to it.

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Yes, but someone there knows the marketshare we possess. Now if some people don't like it that's one thing, but they know what we have to offer them. I think some concept art and the occassional Mod interview is quite paltry.

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I never called you a fanboy. I implied that you (collectively) had compromised your integrity in your desire to get high status in Jagex's fan site pantheon.

it's not so much integrity as it is making a deal, you can even call it a deal with the devil if you prefer, but a deal that sacrifices nothing for us - for more perks for users.

So... nice speech, but you didn't answer my question. Why ask Jagex to look at forums and threads if you weren't willing to be influenced by what Jagex said? Why claim you aren't being influenced by Jagex when it comes to content when you are running content by them for approval?

We have never ran creative content by them for approval, and i don't consider advertisements creative content

I think you mean "Jagex didn't like what we wrote and rattled our cage, so we caved, removed it and apologized". It's been a while but I don't seem to recall anything slanderous in that article -- Jagex just didn't like it.

The article I am referring too was a "Biased banning raises brows" which was 04? 05? and did not cite anything for fact to back up the fact that jagex biasedly banned players

Bruce Everiss took a principled stand, and stood up for his rights. You did not. So, rather odd that you'd bring him up here.

Bruce also had Evidence that backed his claims, it still went to court, it looked grim for a bit, and i've never seen any factual evidence presented by alot of people who bash jagex. People like to make accusations and theories, but have nothing solid to cover themselves making them on other than their own thought

The states went years and decades without Federal highway money. But now they're hooked on it, so the Federal government can dictate terms to them. You'll see.

Perhaps, I have a penchant for waiting to prove people wrong so i'll certainly be waiting for the day you can say - I told you so - Because I can tell with you our current admin team it will NEVER happen.

The conspiracy theory crap -- which you repeated right in this post -- is enough, to be honest.

Numerous users asides you (generalization) have said they have doubts, theories and bad ideas

My assessment of your collective intestinal fortitude or lack thereof is based on what you have already written. I don't need to see any confidential documents.

I've been banned from this forum for standing up for what i believe in, on how it should be ran and other things, I've never took crap from anyone, never have, never will, and i'll resign and make it public why before becoming anyones plaything or toy.

Yes it is: you sold out.

To you perhaps, To many they see it as a minor trade for more content. It's a buisness deal, as long as we are game legal to mention and get the gold/platinum level support we will uphold gaming adverts being removed - and worst case scenario if Jagex does change that, we will part ways, and still probably remove the ads, just because we have honor and class (And i'm not saying they don't,) and it's not affecting us to run them or not. If anything they will not be able to say we did not make a due diligence effort to maintain our word

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

Having said that, hyperbole aside, I further reiterate that the thing that bothers me most in all this is the treatment of Zybez.

I think it's been clear for a long time that jagex and zybez simply just don't get on, many factors have caused friction in the past, and probably still cause problems today, such as supporting swiftkit/switch and other worldswitching programs. and I don't really think they like RSC's userbase, which is basically most of the pkers in runescape (who tend to get up to some unorthodox stuff).

I don't think jagex and zybez will get into bed any time soon, but like i said earlier it's not like zybez needs it. they're doing fine

But muting people for naming their site and starring it out amongst other stuff? In this instance, Jagex tried to tell them what to do, they refused, and will now be subject to mistreatment.

But muting people for naming their site and starring it out amongst other stuff? In this instance, Jagex tried to tell them what to do, they refused, and will now be subject to mistreatment.

people just say "zyb" I think. I haven't heard of people being muted for it but if that's the case I agree that's a bit too much

There was a time in 04 or 05 when people used to post all the time in general they got muted for saying tip.it.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

it's not so much integrity as it is making a deal, you can even call it a deal with the devil if you prefer, but a deal that sacrifices nothing for us - for more perks for users.

It sacrifices nothing except your control over your own site, your independence, and your... integrity.

We have never ran creative content by them for approval, and i don't consider advertisements creative content

Your words: "We wanted to clarify other things such as the video game forum and wow thread and other content before jumping in head first ignorantly making a mistake."

That's content. You're backpeddaling.

I think you mean "Jagex didn't like what we wrote and rattled our cage, so we caved, removed it and apologized". It's been a while but I don't seem to recall anything slanderous in that article -- Jagex just didn't like it.

The article I am referring too was a "Biased banning raises brows" which was 04? 05? and did not cite anything for fact to back up the fact that jagex biasedly banned players

I just re-read that article. It made very valid points, including some issues that Jagex has subsequently addressed. Diddn't see anything libelous there at all.

Of course, Jagex didn't actually have to do anything, all they had to do was scare you a bit and you caved. And you've been walking on eggshells (not you, the Times) ever since.

Perhaps, I have a penchant for waiting to prove people wrong so i'll certainly be waiting for the day you can say - I told you so - Because I can tell with you our current admin team it will NEVER happen.

You already gave Jagex the opportunity to impact content here. It already HAS happened -- they were just nice enough not to take you up on it.

To many they see it as a minor trade for more content. It's a buisness deal

That's what selling out means: trading control, integrity and independence for money or prestige. It's the very definition of the term.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

What happened other than the fact that we have to ban game ads?

Nothing.

Abraham Lincoln

There was a time in 04 or 05 when people used to post all the time in general they got muted for saying tip.it.

Was stupid then, it's stupid now.

Your words: "We wanted to clarify other things such as the video game forum and wow thread and other content before jumping in head first ignorantly making a mistake."

That's content. You're backpeddaling.

I also said that they did not require it or ask and said they did not mind it, I'm paranoid and knew users would raise these questions. So I asked them. Forgive me for asking questions before blindly agreeing to a deal going *yayyyyyyyy*

I just re-read that article. It made very valid points, including some issues that Jagex has subsequently addressed. Diddn't see anything libelous there at all.

Of course, Jagex didn't actually have to do anything, all they had to do was scare you a bit and you caved. And you've been walking on eggshells (not you, the Times) ever since.

I was banned from the site during that time, however i'd like to say quite a few of our articles in the past year have poked at jagex a bit.

That's what selling out means: trading control, integrity and independence for money or prestige. It's the very definition of the term.

So every company who does a deal sells out?

We did not lose our integrity, nor are you our moral compass. We still control our creative content, we asked to ensure it, and we could give two shits about the prestige, we wanted the perks for our users.

Abraham Lincoln

Qeltar it seems that you are operating on the fallacious assumption that any compromise to obtain something is "selling out". To me it seems that you are saying it is morally wrong for Tip.it to change it's ad policy in order to get more content. It's not as if TIp.it is being in any way degraded by removing gold selling or other game adverts from their site. Essentially it was a barter of Tip.it losing nothing that was of great importance to get more content. Now if they had began censoring forums to fit Jagex's whims I would have much more of a problem.

I think the line between compromise and selling out does exist, but this compromise did not cross it. Because in order to sell out you must have a position on that issue in the first place, and I don't think other game adverts were a vital part of TIp.it.

britonlongbo.png

qeltar, I've never liked you, and your baseless claims just solidify my dislike, and they solidify your "I don't like Jagex just because they're Jagex, not because they did something wrong this time" stance. Stop arguing with Das- you're wrong. It's not like Tip.It prided itself on adverts anyways, specifically ads for other games. You just argue for the sake of arguing..

I was a bit peeved to see that we weren't on the platinum list, but hey.. we do fine without Jagex anyways.

demonslayer2.png

Retired Tip.It Mod || Admin and Founder of Caesar 3 Mod Squad! All are welcome!

Qeltar it seems that you are operating on the fallacious assumption that any compromise to obtain something is "selling out". To me it seems that you are saying it is morally wrong for Tip.it to change it's ad policy in order to get more content. It's not as if TIp.it is being in any way degraded by removing gold selling or other game adverts from their site. Essentially it was a barter of Tip.it losing nothing that was of great importance to get more content.

That's a valid argument.

I guess I just have a problem with the principle of what Jagex is demanding here. I've been in this business a long time, and it's really pushy for a company to pull something like this, and it's unfortunate that so many sites are willing to allow Jagex to dictate terms of something that should really be none of their business.

Now if they had began censoring forums to fit Jagex's whims I would have much more of a problem.

Yeah, well, it sounds like Tip.it offered to allow them to do that.

Lunar: I don't hate Jagex, and I've been very supportive of them many times over the last year. I argue when I feel strongly about something, and couldn't care less if you like me or not. Go graze somewhere.

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

We didn't. We said we asked if it would be a problem. It wasn't. Had it have been a problem we wouldn't have done it.

We didn't. We said we asked if it would be a problem. It wasn't. Had it have been a problem we wouldn't have done it.

Thanks for the clarification. Das, sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.

signew2.png

Tip.it has some of the most well-maintained forums, content, calculators, guides, etc. and Jagex only gives us gold. At first I was a little miffed, but now I really could care less. Everyone knows Tip.it is the best fan site out there. We don't need Jagex to define how 'good' of a fansite we are. [bleep] 'em.

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Thanks for the clarification. Das, sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.

It happens, glad everyone is on the same page now.

Abraham Lincoln

It happens, glad everyone is on the same page now.

Well, we are on that particular subissue anyway. ;)

signew2.png

Tip.it has some of the most well-maintained forums, content, calculators, guides, etc. and Jagex only gives us gold. At first I was a little miffed, but now I really could care less. Everyone knows Tip.it is the best fan site out there. We don't need Jagex to define how 'good' of a fansite we are. [bleep] 'em.

for calculators, scripts for when minigames start (fish flingers) etc. i rune wikia has a ton more information. their calculators including ge prices should be the envy of all other fansites. However, for discussion and analysis, off-topic boards etc. it's impossible to match tip.it

now if there was a way of having similar calculators as runescape wikia does, that would enhance tip.jit immensely. striving to improve is what makes any fansite improve, and retain its position of significance.

It's not as if TIp.it is being in any way degraded by removing gold selling or other game adverts from their site. Essentially it was a barter of Tip.it losing nothing that was of great importance to get more content.

I think the line between compromise and selling out does exist, but this compromise did not cross it. Because in order to sell out you must have a position on that issue in the first place, and I don't think other game adverts were a vital part of TIp.it.

Very well put and i agree. All Jagex asked for was the gaming adds to be removed, which should bump Tip.it up to a platinum rank. It's a small trade-off, which will result in more new content for the community.

I reckon in the long run, making one little, fairly insignificant change in return for new content would benefit the community far more than not doing it (however flawed the ranking list may be).

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction