Fansite Support (Re-launch)

Howlin0001

Good god, any 5 year old can make a site like that nowadays...

Don't want to sound like a [puncture]* or anything but Tip.it isn't a real great looking site either.

Content and community-wise Tip.it should definitely be platinum, though.

Is [puncture] really censored?

Edited by Racheya
Yes it is, please don't evade it :)
Click here to check out my Youtube channel!

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, at least this gives people something to talk (or rage) about while we wait for the next update. Gold, platinum.....I want a diamond ranking...... :rolleyes:

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

Whilst I havn't read all your comments and someone else may have said this....

We were not in Jagex good books because of the advertising which appeared on this site.

The admins have removed the adverts and complied with Jagex.

I am sure that they are now working flat out with Jagex to get us up there in the Platinum group.

Good work admins, don't let this little thing stop any of the team from doing what they do best.

Tip-it is The best Runescape fansite.

RSC Community English should be platinum, its the best website/forums. Never found Tip it very useful compared to Zybez, only use the forums here.

2376/2376 total achieved - May 2009

Retired Dec 2009

Runehq's fansite looks like... well... this

How the heck did it win platinum?

<image snip>

Its your computer. Not the website.

Dude, what about Sal's realm of HTML?

<image snip>

Good god, any 5 year old can make a site like that nowadays... (not to mention that awful german site, how can a local site be platinum anyway?)

Although certainly not perfect, nothing beats Tip.it.

The site is easy to navigate and it has popular quest guides. Other fansites are clustered with text, links, and advertisements.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

Im not sure how RuneHQ gets the Platinum award instead of us, everytime I visit RuneHQ Website I always see "Selling Runescape Gold 24/7" Etc..

a70kf.png

Divine Forces | #DF on irc.seersirc.net | Most Motivated |

http://rs-df.com/forums

Zybez (aKa RSC) is off the list because Jagex's advertising would have caused them significant financial harm, as i can imagine it is doing to the fansites who accepted jagex influence (including tipit).

Zybez made the right move, they have a very good mainpage and the forums are large, popular and still hold the main stake in clan community.

However, I have used Tip.It for a very long time and it is sad to see this happen. What will jagex ask for next? controlling threads? asking for posters they don't agree with to be banned?

I think this is a slippery slope.

I don't care about the akward, answer dodging interviews with jagex, the "exclusive" concept art and community events.

I don't care about stupid rankings, visits to the HQ. As a tip.it user i care about the quality of the site's content, which is brilliant now and has always been brilliant, without jagex approval or not.

Like i said, look at Zybez. Jagex did not treat them with the respect they deserve (read W13's correspondence with them). they took the decision, and they still succeed to this day.

Zybez (aKa RSC) is off the list because Jagex's advertising would have caused them significant financial harm, as i can imagine it is doing to the fansites who accepted jagex influence (including tipit).

Zybez made the right move, they have a very good mainpage and the forums are large, popular and still hold the main stake in clan community.

However, I have used Tip.It for a very long time and it is sad to see this happen. What will jagex ask for next? controlling threads? asking for posters they don't agree with to be banned?

I don't care about the akward, answer dodging interviews with jagex, the "exclusive" concept art and community events.

I don't care about stupid rankings, visits to the HQ. As a tip.it user i care about the quality of the site's content, which is brilliant now and has always been brilliant, without jagex approval or not.

Like i said, look at Zybez. Jagex did not treat them with the respect they deserve (read W13's correspondence with them). they took the decision, and they still succeed to this day.

Jagex wont ever try and control the forums/site.

1 - its illegal

2 - they wouldnt hurt their own business to police some fansite. (They have mods on the RSOF to ban you if you don't agree)

Jagex wont ever try and control the forums/site.

1 - its illegal

2 - they wouldnt hurt their own business to police some fansite. (They have mods on the RSOF to ban you if you don't agree)

I don't know why you think it is illegal, but in the past jagex has asked for editorials to be removed (and threatened legal action IIRC) they also have asked for guides not to be released for a few weeks after new content (my memory is hazy here but i'm sure i remember this happening across some sites, mep2 i think it was)

at the end of the day, this site is based on Jagex's intellectual property and therefore they can ask pretty much anything they like.

For all intensive purposes as best as I can figure out, instead of using Rankings to grade the fansites, they're using them more as a ploy to control website content.

So while not trying to deviate from the topic,

Jagex: Stop worrying about fansite support, clan support, etc. Sit down, shut up, and make a good game. <_<

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

they also have asked for guides not to be released for a few weeks after new content (my memory is hazy here but i'm sure i remember this happening across some sites, mep2 i think it was)

I wrote content for another site at the time of release of MEP2 and was personally asked by Mod Mark not to write a guide for it. However they can not in anyway, shape, or form stop people from writing guides. They can REQUEST it, and people (Tip.It for example) abided by it for respect for Jagex, not for legal reasons.

they also have asked for guides not to be released for a few weeks after new content (my memory is hazy here but i'm sure i remember this happening across some sites, mep2 i think it was)

I wrote content for another site at the time of release of MEP2 and was personally asked by Mod Mark not to write a guide for it. However they can not in anyway, shape, or form stop people from writing guides. They can REQUEST it, and people (Tip.It for example) abided by it for respect for Jagex, not for legal reasons.

thank you for the correction, I can't believe I even remember that happening as I was in no position to even start the quest when it came out.

It was kinda funny when they realized a few days later that guides were everywhere but the two or three big sites and just let it go.

Ya they can't really use "brute force" to control fan sites, but they can use back-stab attacks to control them.

All they have to say is: "Monitor all your threads and anyone posting a picture/knowledge of any unfair game-play/bug should be reported to us. If you don't comply with this your fan-site will be starred-out and reportable if said in-game."

With a small quick step they have control of any fan-sites they want, and in the same way promote the ones over those that do not follow them.

I'm not saying Jagex is "bad" per-say, I'm just saying its a move that, if not watched closely, could potentially end up ruining the great community we have produced here.

Limiting ad's doesn't bother me, but the moment censorship begins here for in-game content, I feel that would be the end of any community freedom and individuality.

Ya they can't really use "brute force" to control fan sites, but they can use back-stab attacks to control them.

All they have to say is: "Monitor all your threads and anyone posting a picture/knowledge of any unfair game-play/bug should be reported to us. If you don't comply with this your fan-site will be starred-out and reportable if said in-game."

With a small quick step they have control of any fan-sites they want, and in the same way promote the ones over those that do not follow them.

For once in my life, I wholeheartedly agree with Me Hate Limbs statement. And that's saying alot.

But that's not happening, nor will it happen.

For once in my life, I wholeheartedly agree with Me Hate Limbs statement. And that's saying alot.

I'm sure there are legal aspects they can use as control, English law is very good at being a blunt instrument for use by companies against people they don't agree with, but I don't know the specifics.

But yes I agree, and this is going to be a pivotal point if this is the way jagex is heading. But I don't know that.

and I was expecting more of a smackdown from MHL, i'm disappointed

I still find this whole affair to be very sordid and deplorable on Jagex's part.

For everyone in the past who could not figure out why I liked Runescape and disliked Jagex, here you go. :mellow:

-edit- Jonni, I would be a bit more outspoken, but from DarkDude's post it seems to be more to the story than I know. Despite what people might think I do not try to lash out on subjects I know nothing about.

Now if Dark wants to, or is allowed to by his Jagex masters :razz: , to explain the whole situation to us, then maybe I might have more to say.

I still find this whole affair to be very sordid and deplorable on Jagex's part.

For everyone in the past who could not figure out why I liked Runescape and disliked Jagex, here you go. :mellow:

-edit- Jonni, I would be a bit more outspoken, but from DarkDude's post it seems to be more to the sotry than I know. Despite what people might hink I do not try to lash out on subjects I know nothing about.

Now if Dark wants to, or is allowed to by his Jagex masters :razz: , to explain the whole situation to us, then maybe I might have more to say.

If he knows more, I'd love to hear it. I don't even know who runs the show here anymore, and I think hearing about stuff like ad revenues and backroom deals would calm people down.

but like you say as a site admin he's hardly going to say jagex is being stupid on a jagex approved forum

They are forcing sites to stop advertising competitors in order to gain recognition as RS fansites. If that's not exercising control, I don't know what is. It's not like Guido and Luigi were going to show up and break knees -- that's how it is done in the business world.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Ah well, we can be mentioned in the game, Works for me. it's a stupid list because who hasn't heard of zybez? LoL.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

They are forcing sites to stop advertising competitors in order to gain recognition as RS fansites. If that's not exercising control, I don't know what is. It's not like Guido and Luigi were going to show up and break knees -- that's how it is done in the business world.

I figured out that bit. I was hoping there was more though. If that's all it is though I'd have to say I'm more disappointed in tip.it than anything else. There's a professional relationship and then there is this. We don't need their approval and we shouldn't go out of our way for it.

What is on their list which reasons why sites are platinum is everything Tip.It has, except, we have more.

Hopefully this will be sorted soon.

RIP Michaelangelopolous