Fansite Support (Re-launch)

Howlin0001

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I don't particularly care about the different levels of support; I'm just glad that Tip.It can be discussed ingame again without the risk of being muted.

As for the rest, the Admins have already stated that it will be resolved soon, so there's really no need to stir up more trouble. They have our best interests at heart, so we should leave this matter to them (IMO).

Interested in helping the Tip.It Crew?

Check out our Website Updates & Corrections Board!

Fey_Wanderer.png

The ranking lists are pretty ridiculous. RHQ i remember being terrible, Sal's is better but hardly ever updated and it seems it's just a list of how much each site has bent over for Jagex's advertising rules and such.

Wouldn't worry about it, if we're up for a re-evaluation in a month and the Admin team have done what they think needs to be done, i can't see why we shouldn't reach platinum.

Also, good on Zybez RSC for sticking to their guns.

It isn't in the castle, It isn't in the mist, It's a calling of the waters, As they break to show, The new Black Death, With reactors aglow, Do you think your security, Can keep you in purity, You will not shake us off above or below

Scottish friction

Scottish fiction

Hi

I'm sorta amazed to find that tip.it is not considered a platinum site by Jagex and reading through the post in this thread i'm under the impression you think it has something to with advertising - well, if that is the case then sr3w them !

Too close affiliation with a certain site will only leads to loss of independence in the long run and that is exactly what they try to do !

Just look at what they are offering to their top platinum "cheerleaders" - now, who in here thinks that anything in life comes for free ?

I can almost guarantee you that if Tip.it becomes a platinum site then it will only take a few tip.it times critical articles before a message arrives from Jagex (saying something like: "We're sorry to inform you that your exclusive trip to Jagex HQ has unfortunately been cancelled due to [insert unforeseen event here]") - even though they state that:

we neither want nor expect to have any editorial control. We understand that fans have frank opinions and discussion, and we want this to always be the case in fact, its great to have feedback whether we like it or not!

Yeahh right and pigs can fly...

just my 2c

I am wondering why zybez is out of these lists?

Basically W13 didn't agree with their terms and decided to work with Curse Inc.

Um how did runehq get platinum? That website is extremely annoying to use, it's slow to load and hard to find things. Can't believe it got platinum and tip.it didn't.

I've never used any of the other platinum sites or even heard of one of them.

RuneHQ is getting a re-design with the help of Jagex staff I heard.

The promise of:

Guaranteed invitations to Jagex and Jagex's future events

Regular exclusive staff interview

Regular exclusive concept art

Regular merchandise from the Jagex Store for competition giveaways

Update support (exclusive staff interviews and concept art following the launch of large updates

Advertising support or management from Jagex (if applicable)

Is probably too hard to resist.. Let us know when you all jet off to Jagex HQ yeh?

asrhasrh.jpg

The promise of:

Guaranteed invitations to Jagex and Jagex's future events

Regular exclusive staff interview

Regular exclusive concept art

Regular merchandise from the Jagex Store for competition giveaways

Update support (exclusive staff interviews and concept art following the launch of large updates

Advertising support or management from Jagex (if applicable)

Is probably too hard to resist.. Let us know when you all jet off to Jagex HQ yeh?

The main point was that in the long run we felt it was better for our community to get ourselves ranked at the highest level in order to receive the most new material for you guys.

Well it is good to know we should be on our way back to platinum, even though I disagree with supressing other gaming sites (it's the internet, people will find them anyway :razz: ). At least we can all safely discuss Tip.it ingame without being penalised.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RIP Michaelangelopolous

*dons flame-proof suit*

Hey guys,

Mod Hohbein here - yes, it is me, not a bad man impersonating me. I believe this account will be marked as an official Jagex account shortly. :)

Loads of comments here and I'd really, really like to clear a few things up before I head home for the weekend!

So, first of all - Tip.it is an awesome site. We love it, and we know it's one of the most popular RS fansites in existence. I've been working with a number of members of the admin team since we started supporting Tip.it and we've gone on to build a really strong relationship with the website and individual members of your admin team.

Now, I must ask that you try to understand this from my perspective. I can't go into great detail about the discussions we've had with the Tip.it admin team (or indeed any fansite owner/admin). This leads to me often having to avoid detail when people ask 'hey, why isn't my fansite being supported?!'. This isn't an active attempt to annoy people (as much as it may seem that way) - it's simply because, as a represpentitive of Jagex I can't breach the confidentiality of correspondence between myself and the owners/admin of a fansite. Sometimes I wish I could just explain exactly how it is, but that's something I need to leave up to the fansite owners/admins themselves.

Moving on to the matter at hand. Tip.it are currently at the Gold level of support. The reason for this is that we were noticing a lot of gaming adverts appear on the website. I'm pleased to say though that it looks like the technical admins have made fantastic progress in removing these adverts, to the extent that Tip.it is pretty much completely rid of them. Now, before we decide to move a fansite to 'Platinum', we have to be absolutely positive that there aren't any gaming ads persistently appearing and that the fansite is proactively removing them. So, we're staying in touch with the Tip.it admin chaps, and we're keeping an eye on the website over the next few weeks. Assuming there aren't any major issues/causes for concern, then we'll happily get Tip.it bumped up to Platinum (as yes, you guys meet every other criteria!).

But why gaming adverts? What's wrong with them?

The way we see it is that a big advert for another online game doesn't really have a place on a RuneScape fansite. By offering support to a fansite our aim is to drive more traffic to that fansite, increase its popularity and to help build the community that exists around it and, ultimately help build a bigger and better RuneScape community. In fact we're taking this really seriously - from inviting dedicated fansite owners over to Jagex, to offering free merchandise as giveaways for competitions - we're really putting a lot of time and effort into supporting our fansites. If we start offering a ton of support to a fansite which has adverts for another game plastered all over it (no matter how pretty the lady advertising the game is!) , we'd effectively be aiming to send lots of people to a website which actively advertises another game. This just doesn't make sense, which is why we can only start to offer loads of support to a fansite if they remove all of their RWT and gaming adverts.

We know that removing gaming ads can be tough though, especially when fansites rely on the income generated from those adverts. We do, where applicable, try to support fansites with advertising (whether that's hands on support with us helping manage their ads, or just offering advice and information on how fansites can go about removing gaming ads). If a fansite can remove gaming ads on their own - shweet! If they are really struggling and want our help, no worries, we can look into that too.

So it's nearly an hour after home time and I'm supposed to be going for a curry very shortly, and I'm sure my girlfriend will take great delight in dunking my head in that curry if I'm not home sharpish! So I'd better leave it there and head off.

I hope the above makes sense guys - I'll check back to this thread on Monday and will respond to any questions or anything that are raised.

Cheers,

Hohbein

Oh yes, thank you for telling us what belongs on our fan site. So glad you could set us stright. [/sarcasm]

It's almost like you're just out to cause trouble.

It's interesting you've removed your stat signature and all mentions of your RSN from your profile in the last 5 minutes, presumably because you knew you were going to try and stir something up? I don't think Jagex are going to ban you, lol.

I would like to say that as much as I am dissapointed that Tip.It was not included in the Platinum list, not all things in life should be handed to us on a platter. In fact, since we are classified as a Gold Fansite, this is a good excuse to work on renovating our site. While we (the TIF community) does not know exactly what we need to do to upgrade from Gold to Platinum, the administrators should be getting info from Jagex in a short time. Also, Jagex gave us a definition of a Platinum fansite: "They’re often the first websites you think of when you’re after help, events, information, tools or when you’re just looking to get involved in the community! By focussing on keeping their website completely up-to-date while supporting and growing their communities.."

What we can do now to make us the epitome of that definition is plentiful - the following list shows some of the ways we can help TIF improve.

• Write guides for useful (and sometimes not-so-useful) Runescape activities or combat/skilling tactics.
  • Take pictures as you do quests to submit to the Crew for illustrations in our quest guides.
  • Post answers in the Help & Advice topics.
  • Write an article for the Tip.It Times.
  • Join/participate with the TET - the more the merrier!
  • Suggest and/or write updates to certain guides hosted on the site (Take a look at the KBD guide - it suggests using a dragon longsword..)
  • If correction cannot be obtained, use the report button to weed out the rotten eggs of the community.
  • The most simplest way of making the forum and site better is post - a dead forum helps no one. Three questions you can ask yourself if you're not sure you are posting well are "Is my post Relevent/Understandable/Constructive?"

Edit: Since I started typing up this list before Mod Hohbein posted, and ended up submitting it after, a new way us community members can help out has appeared.

Edit 2: I guess I'm just restating what Pure_MageUK stated in his announcement here.

The way we see it is that a big advert for another online game doesn't really have a place on a RuneScape fansite.

But they belong on *Jagex's* sites? Can't really grasp the logic there.

By offering support to a fansite our aim is to drive more traffic to that fansite, increase its popularity and to help build the community that exists around it and, ultimately help build a bigger and better RuneScape community. In fact we're taking this really seriously - from inviting dedicated fansite owners over to Jagex, to offering free merchandise as giveaways for competitions - we're really putting a lot of time and effort into supporting our fansites. If we start offering a ton of support to a fansite which has adverts for another game plastered all over it (no matter how pretty the lady advertising the game is!) , we'd effectively be aiming to send lots of people to a website which actively advertises another game. This just doesn't make sense, which is why we can only start to offer loads of support to a fansite if they remove all of their RWT and gaming adverts.

What this basically boils down to is this. Jagex, a company that makes millions every year, wants to bully small fan sites with small revenue streams, because Jagex is only willing to give a little bit back to the sites that helped make RuneScape a success if they can be guaranteed that 100% of the benefit provided to those sites does not in any way help a competitor. Never mind that this policy makes your company look like control freaks, and harms the fan sites far more than any of your competition.

Sounds pretty selfish and short-sighted to me, but what do I know.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

Oh yes, thank you for telling us what belongs on our fan site. So glad you could set us stright. [/sarcasm]

It's almost like you're just out to cause trouble.

It's interesting you've removed your stat signature and all mentions of your RSN from your profile in the last 5 minutes, presumably because you knew you were going to try and stir something up? I don't think Jagex are going to ban you, lol.

Actually no, I did it before I even knew that he was going to post. I mostly did it for when I have to go under a different name because I get banned for using an adult, if not profane word, on what is apparently a kid site. <_<

And like Qeltar said, you guys are being rather hypocritical. Tell you what, be "Just about the Gaming Experience" and we'll be "Just about the community experience."

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

The way we see it is that a big advert for another online game doesn't really have a place on a RuneScape fansite.

Can't you report them sites to Jagex just like some people report them sites to tip.it when they appear on this site.

howlin1eeveesig.png

Can't you report them sites to Jagex just like some people report them sites to tip.it when they appear on this site.

Probably not as that would affect *their* stream of revenue which they actually care about.

Hohbein, there are many players that find the ad removal policy a bit hypocritical, because even runescape.com tends to have ads from other online games. While I understand the reasoning, I still think it's a bit silly to consider one website better than another simply because they might have a few adverts of other games. Content and community within the fansite are much more important to the players, and aren't the players the whole reason this list was created?

wl7w9j.png

I really do not want my Tip.It to change around Jagex's desires.

Sorry, but it's not really yours anymore. Tomorrow everyone's sigs will be changed to: