Fansite Support (Re-launch)

Howlin0001

There is more to it than that, however I am not allowed to say. I can assure you that nothing sinister is going on and it's very "behind the scenes". Jagex are not going to make us change actual content on our site, they're not going to get us to censor posts they don't like or anything like that.

Yes, removing advertising for other games is part of it, however it's not the full story. As Peter said, we should be Platinum soon and then maybe people can stop complaining.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone needs to tell Jagex, worry about your damn game and we'll worry about our damn fan site.

Maybe if they had focused more of their resources into making updates that the players of the game actually enjoyed and din't take all of 5 minutes to do then the people wouldn't be complaining as much as they do. Stop spending so much time worrying about that people are saying your game sucks and advertising other games and ask yourself *why* they think the game sucks now and why your new player base number have dropped off.

They're so out of touch now with their base you'd think their headquarters would be in Vatican City. <_<

ps Better Jonni?

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

This is enough to pull me out of my forum silence. It's strange to see how Jagex's friendly approach to fansites is slowly starting to look like blackmail, and I don't like it one bit. I've never really criticized Jagex because I thought they'd know best, but I'm starting to agree with MHL (oh no!). But if we look at it all, what can Jagex really do? A lot you might say, and indeed they can, but I don't think they'll actually do much. If we don't comply Jagex will throw us off the gold list. If we don't comply they'll censor our name. Does this really matter? We are arguably the best site, we are one of the biggest if not the biggest rs fan site. If Jagex no longer supports us we will continue to exist, without a doubt, because we offer quality guides and have a large and loyal userbase, and that is what counts.

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

How dare they employ people to help the community aspect of the game.

Jagex is split into different departments, just like every other company. This doesn't effect their development team in any way and it's an ignorant notion to suggest such a thing.

There is more to it than that, however I am not allowed to say. I can assure you that nothing sinister is going on and it's very "behind the scenes". Jagex are not going to make us change actual content on our site, they're not going to get us to censor posts they don't like or anything like that.

Yes, removing advertising for other games is part of it, however it's not the full story. As Peter said, we should be Platinum soon and then maybe people can stop complaining.

It isn't about wether tip it has platinum or not. It's about why we were ranked below rhq and sals from the beginning.

This is enough to pull me out of my forum silence. It's strange to see how Jagex's friendly approach to fansites is slowly starting to look like blackmail, and I don't like it one bit. I've never really criticized Jagex because I thought they'd know best, but I'm starting to agree with MHL (oh no!). But if we look at it all, what can Jagex really do? A lot you might say, and indeed they can, but I don't think they'll actually do much. If we don't comply Jagex will throw us off the gold list. If we don't comply they'll censor our name. Does this really matter? We are arguably the best site, we are one of the biggest if not the biggest rs fan site. If Jagex no longer supports us we will continue to exist, without a doubt, because we offer quality guides and have a large and loyal userbase, and that is what counts.

TIF won't stay independent of Jagex though because of the support and rewards Jagex have offered, at the minute they're only asking to keep RWT adverts off the forums which seems fair enough as it has a negative impact on the game.

TIF won't stay independent of Jagex though because of the support and rewards Jagex have offered, at the minute they're only asking to keep RWT adverts off the forums which seems fair enough as it has a negative impact on the game.

The thing is though, that they're not just asking to block RWT (and similar) ads. They are also asking fansites to block ALL other games. That IMO is where they're going a bit too far. Yes, requiring no RWT ads should be the number 2 thing when ranking sites (behind actual content), but to block other games that often aren't even Jagex's competition? That's just wrong.

The thing is though, that they're not just asking to block RWT (and similar) ads. They are also asking fansites to block ALL other games. That IMO is where they're going a bit too far. Yes, requiring no RWT ads should be the number 1 thing when ranking sites, but to block other games that often aren't even Jagex's competition? That's just wrong.

True, it is wrong. But like I said, fansites will do it because of what the status means (whether rightly or wrongly). Just look at the amount of people whining because TIF isn't ranked above Sal's or RHQ.

How dare they employ people to help the community aspect of the game.

Jagex is split into different departments, just like every other company. This doesn't effect their development team in any way and it's an ignorant notion to suggest such a thing.

I understand that, but my point was they are spending time focusing on things that are none of their concern.

My issue isn't with the ranking tip.it has. My issue is the how they are using their ranking. How dare they? How dare they use any method, in this case rankings, to exert any influence whatsoever on a fansite, whether it be content, forum posts, or adverts. That is to me a morally and ethically reprehensible action to take. This severely conpromises my opinion of them as low as it was.

Oh, and also the fact that tip.it admins aren't allowed to elaborate. Jagex trying to me more open and honest my Russian [wagon]. :mad:

Someone needs to tell Jagex, worry about your damn game and we'll worry about our damn fan site.

Maybe if they had focused more of their resources into making updates that the players of the game actually enjoyed and din't take all of 5 minutes to do then the people wouldn't be complaining as much as they do. Stop spending so much time worrying about that people are saying your game sucks and advertising other games and ask yourself *why* they think the game sucks now and why your new player base number have dropped off.

They're so out of touch now with their base you'd think their headquarters would be in Vatican City. <_<

ps Better Jonni?

I'd like to think you just made mod hohbien cry

but i agree with dd, they are obviously departmental and the community team has nothing to do with game development, but maybe if they did take personnel out of community management (which i see as useless come on they have done nothing interesting) things would be different. but that's a different discussion i suppose

I can't believe people are upset about tip.it not being platinum, for me that's not the point, I think there is a much worse underlying issue here as people have said. It's not like there will be any significant difference from these ranks.

While I am not a fan of the system itself, (it is ludicrous if you ask me.) I don't believe it is anything to worry about and I feel reassured that we are due to go on the Platinum list and that their is nothing 'wrong' with us. It makes me wonder, why in good heavens RuneHQ are on the Platinum list, considering it is filled with non-RuneScape gaming advertisements. I also question their advertisement censorship methods in general. But other then that, is there much point to caring?

It's good we can still say Tipit in-game and we will still get some sort of prizes for competitions. I suppose its some benefit for us, in strange-small subtle ways.

As for the rest of it, I have the full utmost confidence in our Administrative Team, they are not ones to let their community which they are so passionate about to fall into depths of doomsday predictions of the Slippery Slope effect.

I'm not going to worry, I was a bit annoyed at the start but after being able to look at other replies there is definitely nothing to worry about. The system has flaws some may wish to take into account, but I don't see much effort worth putting into it.

People in a company aren't all going to have the same skills, so taking someone out of one department and putting them in another isn't going to do any good. I have no idea about any of the mods histories, but there is no harm to the development of the game for having a section dedicated to trying to improve the community aspect of the game.

The reason we're not allowed to elaborate is we have nothing to say, it does no one any favours just complaining about things, especially things that aren't set in stone. It's nothing to do with Jagex telling us what we can and can't say, it's common sense and on top of that there are more likely than not some legal issues with discussing some of the things between us and Jagex at this point in time.

Jonni, as useless as I think the Community team is, it wasn't my intention to make any J-mods cry.

I don't care what methods they use, exerting influence onto fansites is in my opinion wrong. That sums my opinion of all of this.

On another note:

What's the difference between Jagex and a Catholic priest?

At least when the priest screws you he doesn't charge you 5-8 dollars a month. :grin:

What I want to know is why Jagex threw up Fansite Support and split it into the various rankings again, as I don't recall this ever existing since 2001 (Tip was Silver then, by the way). It's like they want the sites to pit themselves against each other, and factionalise the community. Maybe I'm viewing this in a fairly extreme way, but that's how I've always seen it. And, of course, baiting fansites to higher levels with promises of exclusive content sickens me.

Sorry for any deviation.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Surprised TIF isn't bronze, they were being too kind.

Some of the fishing ads and trojann laden pop-ups at this site are deplorable.

Oh and lets not forget about the time the forums was destroyed for like a month and or that time that everybodys login information was stolen.

Lol that RSC/zybez is nowhere to be found.

I bet its because they support all that 3rd party cheat/hackware crap. :lol:

Go Sal, although you haven't played the game in like 4 years.

Just send your money and don't say anything... the perfect Jagex customer. ;)

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

All this Jagex bashing is a bit too much. While some of you are making some valid points, things are the way they are, and Tip.It is partially at fault.

Let me explain.

When Jagex first brought our fansite support, Tip.It was at the highest tier (let's say Platinum even though the "medal" tiers weren't out then). Jagex have never liked the fact that we had competitor gaming adverts, and they told us this within a few months of fansite support beginning. They gave us a grace period to sort our adverts, we took too long deciding what to do and this means that Jagex dropped us down to Silver level of support. This of course involved removal of Tip.It from the safe sites list, I don't think we realised that dropping our level of support also meant removal from the safe site list at the time. And then we come to this announcement, which after contacting Jagex a few days ago, is an attempt to get back up to Platinum status and on the safe site list again. Without us making the effort over the past few days to remove adverts, we would have been on the Silver level of support when this system launched. Jagex said that because of our good will to remove the adverts they will put us back up to Gold status, with a review in less than a month's time to see if we can go up to Platinum.

People in a company aren't all going to have the same skills, so taking someone out of one department and putting them in another isn't going to do any good.

yeah i know that, not what i meant, i mean that they should have less people working on community which would free up the resources to have more people working in game dev like mhl said. but i don't know the mechanics of how their staff works etc.

All this Jagex bashing is a bit too much. While some of you are making some valid points, things are the way they are, and Tip.It is partially at fault.

Let me explain.

When Jagex first brought our fansite support, Tip.It was at the highest tier (let's say Platinum even though the "medal" tiers weren't out then). Jagex have never liked the fact that we had competitor gaming adverts, and they told us this within a few months of fansite support beginning. They gave us a grace period to sort our adverts, we took too long deciding what to do and this means that Jagex dropped us down to Silver level of support. This of course involved removal of Tip.It from the safe sites list, I don't think we realised that dropping our level of support also meant removal from the safe site list at the time. And then we come to this announcement, which after contacting Jagex a few days ago, is an attempt to get back up to Platinum status and on the safe site list again. Without us making the effort over the past few days to remove adverts, we would have been on the Silver level of support when this system launched. Jagex said that because of our good will to remove the adverts they will put us back up to Gold status, with a review in less than a month's time to see if we can go up to Platinum.

Ah, okay. That's better. Now I am seriously aggravated at them. Frankly I'm surprised that Bob isn't rolling over in his grave.

It's so bad even Kokomo is emabbarssed by their actions. He can't bear to look.

Picture.jpg

Let me explain.

Well if that's the case, they worded their fansite support post rather poorly.

It seems like the platinum/gold/silver/bronze ranks according to the amount of concept art/content they intend to give them.

They however, implied that the fan sites are selected based on their size, community, content.

This clearly isn't the case though, making alot of players go "what the heck just happened"

Naaxi.png

That game advert rule makes me lol. Their advertisements include other games all the time, I saw one for WoW yesterday on the homepage.

I would much rather see Targeted game advertisements instead of the usual ones for tampons,car loans & debt collection. :wall:

TERA.pngtera2.gif

tera.pngsig_corner.png

Thanks Gradeskip93 for my awesome sig!

I find it amazing that the admins here don't seem to have any problem with having Jagex tell them what ads to run, not for the sake of following Jagex's rules about the game, but strictly to suppress competition. Especially given how awful ad revenues are in general in this market segment to begin with.

I guess I'm reading the whole situation wrong. Other than Zybez everyone seems to be willing to go along with Jagex's demands. Practicality trumps principle.

So I suppose they do this because they can get away with it.

Qeltar, aka Charles Kozierok

Webmaster, RuneScoop - Premium RuneScape Information for Expert Players -- Now Free!

Featuring the Ultimate Guide to Dungeoneering -- everything you need to know to get the most of the new skill!

signew2.png

A haiku for Bored.

Looking for Logic

In banner ads at Runescape

Pointless endeavor.

Edited by DarkDude98
Removed pointless, inappropriate comment