12-Apr-2010 - Dungeoneering Skill!

12pure34

The High Scores tables have been rolled back to 1am GMT. This only effects the high scores temporarily. As soon as people log back in, the accurate figures (from 17:24 GMT) will be displayed.

---

:thumbsup:

good to hear

48-40 dungeoneering was a scary sight indeed, more than halved my dungeon xp

I'll take this chance to ask, what's the secret to levelling that fast? Do you reset your prestige or what? Details if you can :)

I really don't see what's so hard with the prestige: only reset it once all the levels you can access have been completed. That means they have a tick next to them. Then, once you do reset (if no new levels have been unlocked by you cashing in your tokens for exp, if that's what you desire), you start from level 1 again. Do level 1 first, because each level you complete gradually raises your prestige, thus you gain more exp faster.

Levelling fast as far as i know: soloing complexity 6 is fastest. Open the bonus rooms, go in and out directly unless you need food. Don't kill unless you need food: you shouldn't be doing any skilling in any of the dungeons if you have a weapon and arrows bound. If possible, bind a promethean spear (for crush / slash / stab attacks). Once you start a level, be sure to buy a hammer, a pickaxe, an axe and tinderbox. these are easy to drop later on, but usually at least 2 of them are required for the completion of a level. use your prayer wisely, remember each level always has the same boss (as far as i know) and some bosses will disable your prayers anyway. Use the map liberally (while running) to see where you have rooms you haven't been in yet, to move efficiently around.

anyone have better / other advice?

use gateways:

Make from the first few coins/essence you find on the table like 10 gateway teleports: very usefull to bank quickly (and basically do anything)

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TrixStar

One of the things that annoys me is that I can't do this skill for 20 minutes then log off like every other skill. Take now for example I have to go to work in 20 minutes, theres no way I can start dungeon and expect to be done and get the exp before I have to log out. :angry:

This will change the game dynamics.

Currently I can play solo or with a clan/team depending on my mode or what I wish to accomplish.

This is only a small step, but a major one, in requiring players to work in teams, I hate being forced to play the way somebody else dictates.

As for this being a MMO, I do interlace with other players all the time, helping each other with quests, buying/selling/making items and such.

Interacting with other players and being forced to form teams to accomplish a goal are completely different, the first I like, the second I hate.

Currently I can play solo or with a clan/team depending on my mode or what I wish to accomplish.

This is only a small step, but a major one, in requiring players to work in teams, I hate being forced to play the way somebody else dictates.

As for this being a MMO, I do interlace with other players all the time, helping each other with quests, buying/selling/making items and such.

Interacting with other players and being forced to form teams to accomplish a goal are completely different, the first I like, the second I hate.

Click on the ring, and make your party. Walk into the dungeon. Voila' your dungeoneering alone. By the way, have you tried the new skill yet?

Low_C.png

I do not understand, you act as if there is no team based activity in the game at all before D'eering. It is definitely not the first piece of content which you can group with a party. I believe it all started with KBD, then KQ, etc etc etc. This has been introduced since what? 2003/2004? I doubt anybody in that time period said that this is the first step in which you will be forced to play in a team. Heck I did not see ONE complaint(at least on here) when corp came out, corp is definitely not a solo job and unless you are extremely wealthy, you cannot solo it. D'eering is not the first thing that has a group function and it is definitely not a signal that all future Runescape content is going to be team based. Yes no doubt there are going to be more content based on teamwork and such, but you cannot fully expect Jagex to focus entirely on solo players. If you really want to play a game that focuses entirely on single play..well, that is called a RPG.

PS: I am a bit annoyed that you predicted the death of Runescape when nothing much has been changed, if you did not notice, there are many players who are enjoying the skill and to them, Runescape is becoming better.

PPS: I am a bit grumpy because I am still missing lunch, bear with me here.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

now can anyone answer this question for me: HOW DO I TRAIN this skill if I can only access the internet 15-30 mins at a time?

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

I just read the Q&A for Dung. I love the Jagex mentality.

Q: What do you think of this problem?

A: It's not a problem. :)

Q: And what do you think of this issue?

A: It's not an issue. :)

Wow, denial is just a useful tool. :thumbup:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

You might want to explain that a bit more.

now can anyone answer this question for me: HOW DO I TRAIN this skill if I can only access the internet 15-30 mins at a time?

You will probably be forced to raid small rooms at higher levels, even so it is going to be close.

11-1.jpg[

Guild Wars 2-In game screenshot, the MMORPG you are waiting for. Click for thread.

This skill requires abit of time and it's not for the sorta person who has to have a short time limit to play. I had alot of work to do during the first two days of the skill and had to exit dungeons I already had progressed through.

Low_C.png

Oh my Gosh! Coal Bag??

Now would be a good time to come back to this game...

Might want to change your sig with the new addition of songs =p

11-1.jpg[

Dungenerring tutorial, Abridged!

Go stand in that room!

Congradulations, you are now dungeneering!

Damn, I fail at abridging things, that's twice as long as the actual tutorial.

Fixxing....

Go stand in that room!

Erm, nope, still same length.

Grom, if you read the Q&A, there were question about things people called problems. Jagex just said they werent and din't really dispel the issue.

Also, in my person opinion, and I don't need to explain it in more detail, I think the continous redefinitions of what this game is is what's eventually going to ruin it.

Dungeoneering > Current RS ... Let the current RS die ..

Old RS>all

Something tells me that you aren't a long time player...

5-6 years already and I like the current version more than the version than. I've played classic as well (till aprox level 40th to all skills) and I wouldn't play the "le olde RS" even if my life depends on it.

Grom, if you read the Q&A, there were question about things people called problems. Jagex just said they werent and din't really dispel the issue.

Also, in my person opinion, and I don't need to explain it in more detail, I think the continous redefinitions of what this game is is what's eventually going to ruin it.

What issue did they fail to address? It is confirmed the team is considering changing the rewards. The solo log out issue is been fixed as they attempt to find a solution. There is going to be a reward pack 2 coming sometime. I never actually felt binding is that much of an issue after seeing how quickly people leveled. I am satisfied with the answer given to the minigame/skill debate. Point is, I really do not think they missed anything major.

To your second statement, how is Runescape been constantly redefined? I thought Runescape is always, and will be, a MMORPG.

11-1.jpg[

Because people like to complain and critisise even when they find it fun and enjoyable. Just because it doesn't fit their opinion of what a skill is supposed to be. Truth of the matter is, they could release the best update to ever grace runescape and there would still be complainers.

If you notice, even though the point has been raised repeatedly, no one defending Dung as a skill addresses it. The problem is not just the label of skill. If that is all it was, who would care? The problem is that having Dung classified as a skill will have other consequences in the game; for instance, the ability to do a quest or finish an achievement diary. I am sure there are others as well; the law of unintended consequences is a [bleep].

This complaint is just ignored, probably because it will not matter for months, or even years. But the day when someone cant do a quest, and therefore not be able to wear his quest cape, or get to a particular spot, or get a certain drop, and then they will then lament the classification of Dung as a skill, and not just the mini-game that it is.

Before dismissing the complaint of the skill label, you may want to consider that those with concerns may be looking further down the road than you are.

Because people like to complain and critisise even when they find it fun and enjoyable. Just because it doesn't fit their opinion of what a skill is supposed to be. Truth of the matter is, they could release the best update to ever grace runescape and there would still be complainers.

If you notice, even though the point has been raised repeatedly, no one defending “Dung as a skill” addresses it. The problem is not just the label of “skill.” If that is all it was, who would care? The problem is that having Dung classified as a skill will have other consequences in the game; for instance, the ability to do a quest or finish an achievement diary. I am sure there are others as well; the law of unintended consequences is a [bleep].

This complaint is just ignored, probably because it will not matter for months, or even years. But the day when someone can’t do a quest, and therefore not be able to wear his quest cape, or get to a particular spot, or get a certain drop, and then they will then lament the classification of Dung as a skill, and not just the mini-game that it is.

Before dismissing the complaint of the “skill” label, you may want to consider that those with concerns may be looking further down the road than you are.

The question here is that why would someone not train dungeoneering for a quest requirement. Just because it is more similar to a minigame than any other skill? Again the real thing here is that do YOU like it as a piece of CONTENT? I honestly do not believe that if Jagex suddenly decide to release the exact same thing as an activity the gameplay will be immediately better.

My point is this, yes you can debate if D'eering is a skill or an activity, whichever one it is, it does not change the fact that the game play will still be EXACTLY THE SAME.

11-1.jpg[

I think that the biggest reason why Dung (Jagex had that coming) is so much like a minigame is because it has a single location in which to do a certain activity. It's isolated and doesn't apply anywhere else. A skill is more of a concept which can be applied in multiple scenarios and locations.

Thankfully, that can be fixed by making new dungeons elsewhere, possibly a tower instead of something underground, with a different visual style, rules, puzzles and enemies, but you have to appreciate that making a new dungeon is infinitely more content heavy than making a new hunter spot. It's huge on concept, but it just hasn't beared fruit as quickly as other skills have. I think we need to be more patient.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

I think that the biggest reason why Dung (Jagex had that coming) is so much like a minigame is because it has a single location in which to do a certain activity. It's isolated and doesn't apply anywhere else. A skill is more of a concept which can be applied in multiple scenarios and locations.

Cooooonstruuuuuctioooooon (and partly Faaaaarmiiiiiing)

What issue did they fail to address? It is confirmed the team is considering changing the rewards. The solo log out issue is been fixed as they attempt to find a solution. There is going to be a reward pack 2 coming sometime. I never actually felt binding is that much of an issue after seeing how quickly people leveled. I am satisfied with the answer given to the minigame/skill debate. Point is, I really do not think they missed anything major.

To your second statement, how is Runescape been constantly redefined? I thought Runescape is always, and will be, a MMORPG.

You might as well stop trying.

Theres a difference between having justified opinions and stubbornly denying anything that could be good.

Jagex themselves gives a rational presentation of evidence as to why this skill is no more of a mini game than any other skill, yet for some reason its still bad. Theres no point in talking to someone who just denies truths.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Runescape is constantly being redefined as to the kind of game it is, but stay in the same MMORPG genre. I think the number one thing is that behind the scenes the thing is being comitteed(sp?) to death. Also, they said the skill is like a game, but tey don't see any issue, where many, many people do. I think another issue is that they're designing the game as they want it to be instead what most of their players want it to be.

I'm not going into it anymore than that.

What the Q+A says:

"How is this a new skill when it incorporates all existing skills?"

We dont see this as a problem.

The Slayer skill (our most popular member-only skill) asks the player to use their combat skills to slay creatures. The ability to slay creatures and obtain drops was a function that already existed in the game, as were all the combat skills. Technically, it was a skill that incorporated all the existing combat skills. Dungeoneering also does that, but also asks the player to use other skills. Over the years we have added more and more features to the Slayer skill and we intend to do the same with Dungeoneering.

Looking back, the decision to include all other skills is one of the best weve made. The wealth of tasks available encourages individual roles within the party. The time youve already spent leveling on the surface has a distinct value, and will give you a more rewarding experience within the dungeons.

What you think it says:

"How is this a new skill when it incorporates all existing skills?"

Its new, trust us

Jagex's argument for why it is fine that Dung uses old skills:

-Slayer does it, people like slayer

-NEEDING a skill level gives people a sense of a "role" for their character. It is a role-playing game, therefore playing a role is perfectly a part of the game.

YOUR argument for why using old skills is a bad thing:

-It is bad

YOU are the one just responding with denial of information. Sorry.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

G00d, I might take you seriously if I thought you were in any way objective. Now if Den has something to say about it, that I would actually be interested in.