What would the world be like without the United States?

DragnFly

Overpopulation might be a bigger problem too. That's a lot of space that people could have lived in.

It's not that the area would be unpopulated, the Spanish would have conquered it as well. You'd just have 4 or so smaller countries instead.

What about New France and Louisiana?

So pretty much the point is that it was never colonized by the English, or that the English colonists never fought for independence, or what?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overpopulation might be a bigger problem too. That's a lot of space that people could have lived in.

It's not that the area would be unpopulated, the Spanish would have conquered it as well. You'd just have 4 or so smaller countries instead.

What about New France and Louisiana?

So pretty much the point is that it was never colonized by the English, or that the English colonists never fought for independence, or what?

There are so many factors in this discussion...

1. Do we even colonize North America?

2. If yes, did we just colonize Canada instead of the Thirteen Colonies?

3. Did the Thirteen Colonies exist? If they did, did we fight for independence?

4. If we fought for independence, did we lose?

Yeah...

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

I think people are taking two views on this. America, the physical landmass and continent never existed, and America the mental government which revolted against England.

I can't see 2010 still as a colonial era though. I would think some countries gained their independence from now and then.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Unless I'm wrong the American revolution was the first successful one though. And it went on to inspire the later ones (most of which failed).

Well, it was successful, but that was only because the French government largely hated the British (and English) so much that they were willing to divide the Empire. It's a great plan.... Help the English colonists revolt and win the civil war, and then the British Empire will start to crumble.

Ironically, it helped to spark the French Revolution. :razz:

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

World hunger, fresh water shortages, and wars would end.

Look at it this way. We are 1/8th (12.5%) of the world. We use over 25% of the resources (that's what they learn us in school).

We would probably just be part of the EU/GB.

Wonder how much the country produces to balance that then? (Not trolling, honestly curious)

Quite a lot actually, GDP is around $14 trillion which is three to thirty times any other country you can name. [Excluding all the small islands and most African countries, of which it is even more].

I think people are taking two views on this. America, the physical landmass and continent never existed, and America the mental government which revolted against England.

I can't see 2010 still as a colonial era though. I would think some countries gained their independence from now and then.

Given that the question is 'What would the world be like without the United States?' not 'What would the world be like without North America?' I think those who are assuming the entire landmass is gone need to brush up on reading comprehension, but whatever. With no country, I'm going to assume that the Spanish took claim and it's basically a giant Mexico (or cluster of countries created by Spaniards through wars, etc. Some of which were later taken over by Cuba, especially around the gulf.

And the ah.. invention factor, would have eventually happened elsewhere. World wars might not have happened either since 'World Powers' would've been right next to each other, trying to start anything would've been well beyond stupid. At least Australia still would've existed :thumbsup:

And the ah.. invention factor, would have eventually happened elsewhere. World wars might not have happened either since 'World Powers' would've been right next to each other, trying to start anything would've been well beyond stupid. At least Australia still would've existed :thumbsup:

Isn't this kind of how it did happen though? In both world wars the US only openly joined towards the ends. Before then it just sold/loaned/gave weapons and such to Europe.

Both of 'em pretty much started as Europe's powers (and their many colonies) fighting one another.

Ah, but the UK would've been more badass and not such a softie country who really only had the power to 'hold them off' rather than actually push back with any decent force. If anything, the UK could have been the 'top dog' and the rest wouldn't have had the opportunity to get so powerful, except perhaps Russia.. don't think anyone would have been able to do much about them.

actually, if america had never been colonised, england would probably still be an empire, as the american civil war was what sparked the withdrawl/revolts in the other corners of the empire.

since the majority of those inventions were invented by people who are descendants of colonists, and who probably would've either still been born in another part of english empire, or since most of these inventions are logical follow ons to someone elses work, or even just one induvidual finishing off someone else's project, human technology would still have advanced at the same pace. claiming that these inventions only exist because they were made in the usa is simply ridiculous verging on stupidity.

however i agree with what a few people have said, about how the world would be politically and border wise if america didn't exist. the simple fact that europe, the uk and the africas could've become a much closer group of countries, if not one induvidual nation. out of pure neccesity of being so close together.

and ok, if we entertain the thought that these people only invented what they did because of the fact they were in america. then lets consider what your responsible for negatively as well. NUCLEAR WEAPONS. i guess its easy for you to say oh look at all the amazing things that have happened on our soil. lets look over the fact that the american initiative to create nuclear weapons is the start of the single greatest world relations catastrophe ever.

however, all of this aside, anybody trying to second guess how history would've played out if a certian continent, country, leader, or government had never existed is ridiculous and fruitless. you'll never find out, theres no way to test each theory, and all its going to do is start arguments about how important countries are to the development of the human race.

Torne apart between 2 worlds, with loves, dangers and worries in both. Can I be worth it?

Just a quick question, how many of the inventions on that list were made by direct imigrants from other countries, like germany?

Albert Einstein was german heritage, so i belive that means his inventions are tecnically german.

Did he just move over to the U.S, then invent stuff?

Unless im [developmentally delayed]ed, and Einstein is like SWEDISH of something. Someone correct me, i know im wrong :P

and ok, if we entertain the thought that these people only invented what they did because of the fact they were in america. then lets consider what your responsible for negatively as well. NUCLEAR WEAPONS. i guess its easy for you to say oh look at all the amazing things that have happened on our soil. lets look over the fact that the american initiative to create nuclear weapons is the start of the single greatest world relations catastrophe ever.

Yeah, not like other countries weren't working on it at around the same time... Unless I'm wrong Germany almost had it by the time they lost the war. And it was thanks to many of Germany's scientists that the US got it first. :grin:

Another question would be which inventions came about as a result of a problem that only America was facing. According to the ever-reliable history channel (You know, the one with the Mayan doomsday prophecies) The US produced something like 70% of the world's cotton by the time the cotton gin was invented.

Just a quick question, how many of the inventions on that list were made by direct imigrants from other countries, like germany?

Albert Einstein was german heritage, so i belive that means his inventions are tecnically german.

Did he just move over to the U.S, then invent stuff?

Unless im [developmentally delayed]ed, and Einstein is like SWEDISH of something. Someone correct me, i know im wrong :P

Pretty sure Einstein didn't *invent* anything. If I recall correctly, he successfully used his celebrity status to petition the president to start the Manhattan project, from a warning from one of his friends (who was warned by a German with a simple diagram).

If you're wondering why America is such a superpower, its because there was a staggeringly HUGE area of free trade and no tariffs. Not to mention the idea that if you don't work, you don't eat; and until recently the anti-welfare policies.

But don't worry Europe, Canada - if Obama, Pelosi, and Reid have their ways, we'll have a welfare state soon enough. Then we can be just like Greece.

As to why everyone *hates* America, its probably because of the stupid twenty-somethings that are rude and boorish when they travel abroad. As far as the stereotypes, everyone has them.

Also, with regards to the conflict in the Middle East - That's been going on for hundreds to thousands of years (In a biblical sense, you can thank Abraham for having relations with Hagar). Three religions claiming one area? No single country is responsible for that.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

The world without the United States...hmmm.

Well I have to imagine it would be something like this:

theworld.png

+ the Americas.

Though that wouldn't last too long. Unsuitability will cause isolated places to revolt and break free. Plus the military organization of the Nazis couldn't of supported distances that big for long.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

theworld.png

+ the Americas.

Though that wouldn't last too long. Unsuitability will cause isolated places to revolt and break free. Plus the military organization of the Nazis couldn't of supported distances that big for long.

Look at Russia. Then look at Germany.

Do it again.

Let that sink it for a while.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

Do it again.

The real question is Japan, to be honest. If it weren't the US, who knows what would've happened in the Pacific.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

theworld.png

+ the Americas.

Do it again.

I don't recall Germans fighting Russia in Siberia. Distances to fight a war front such as from Germany to India or China seems to be difficult. And the army will have to be thinly spread in the occupied territories. Put in Africa and two oceans to cross into the Americans, the Nazis just could not hold on to that. They might of won it, but it wouldn't of lasted ten years.

siggy3s.jpg

• 3 months later...

It is completely ignorant to claim that the world we live in now would be better without contributions from Americans. Since America's founding until now Americans have contributed so much to the world. It is ridiculous to claim that all these inventions would have been discovered anyways. Part of the reason why America catalyzed discovery and invention is due to American culture. We reward risk-taking and innovative thought. All throughout history most other civilizations suppressed this type of behavior. Would-be Americans left Europe because they wanted this type of freedom. One of America's basic foundations is based of of this type of culture.

That being said, the other argument I am seeing is that the world would still be better because Americans are stupid and obese. This may be marginally true relative to the rest of the population, but it is only the result of the vast contributions to the world Americans have already made. Historically America has done so much for the world. Not only have Americans invented so many things that have benefited mankind, but we're usually the first country to lend aid to other countries hit by devastation. And yet when New Orleans is hit by disaster after disaster, where is the rest of the world coming to aid?

You can expect some Americans to kick back and enjoy what their ancestors have laid out before them. If you won the lottery, wouldn't you expect to get a little lazy? It's unfortunate that some Americans have become this way, but it is to be expected when everything is handed to you. Currently in America this is changing to an extent. As Americans are hit by the recession, many of us have changed our lifestyle and have adapted to a more European outlook. I would expect to see a more reserved culture emerge in the next few decades due to globalization. Regardless of how American culture is now, there is no denying that the world would not have many of the things we all take for granted now.

theworld.png

yes, because the US singlehandedly killed all the bad nazis for us!

(rofl)

Didn't you go to school in the US?

Johnny Cash won the war for us when he ran over Hitler in his red white and blue Hummer.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

We will never know will we, not yet atleast.

Blasphemy

We choose to go...not because [it is] easy, but because [it is] hard, because that goal will serve to measure and organize the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win. ~ Blasphemien Way

29ehbtt.png

"Rest In Peace, Muelmar - A True Modern Day Hero"