Tip.it Times 2 May 2010

Mirror

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

Enjoy the articles!

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Agree with the first article, there is so much more room in Dungeoneering, it can be updated for years to come.

It is so nice to see someone saying that they think RS is friendly, and that it's not all bad. To stand up for F2P too, I've met plenty of nice F2Pers, I hate the stereotype that every single one is a "noob" and not worth the high-and-mighty time of the members. I liked the second article, it was happy. :)

Article #2

Great article, made me smile when you talked about P2P and F2P Communities. I've also noticed how the F2P community as a matter of fact seems more comfy — perhaps because with the smaller amount of content you need to find other ways to keep yourself entertained, and getting involved with a community certainly is a good way to do this. You raised up good points. Keep up the good job, I always enjoy reading your articles. :thumbup:

Master of Attack ~ August 29th, 2010

Proud to have served the awesome Tip.It Crew <3

4bbb67ec44.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

Juhniz.png

I agree wholeheartedly with the second article. Most of the friends I have are from f2p because like Juhniz said, the content is less in f2p. While in p2p there is so much to do, and everyone is always striving towards attaining something. You rarely see someone step back and actually start a conversation with the person beside them. I personally cannot even remember the time when someone actually spoke a few words with me training slayer in Kuradal's Dungeon.

i liked both articles actually

however i have a funny story relating to the second one.

last night i was making planks in varrock bank. about 600 planks in two people start arguing. i dont recall exactly what the argument started as, anyway. when i got done with the planks i was doing i decided to mediate the argument a bit because it was starting to get bothersome. any way one of the arguers was calling the otehr one names. the other one was reciprocating with the same thing. i tried to convince them that name calling does nnothing for anyone and it just make people mader. i suggested many of the handy ways of getting rid of annoying things. ie. ignore list, world hopping. neiother did so. about 15 or so minuets later the arguments was still going. i decided to give up at that point.

i dont know what this says about the runescape community but, i have a feeling at least one of them was part of the so called "miniclip" generation.

i do have to say that part of the argument was more funny that bad. one of the people there said he went to get popcorn lol.

any way, people these days :blink:

~~~legoman187~~~

nee0cg.png

Clicky siggy for blog

Thanks Pendonub for fancy new sig

Thieving guide[WIP]

Loyal player since May 2005 and member since November 2005 and Tifer for many years

~~~legoman187~~~

I liked the first article.

I liked the second article as well, although on the point of: the prejudice many P2P members have against F2P.

I think this is a two way prejudice, many F2P are also prejudiced against P2P.

People will ignore others just because they don't have a 99 or, even worse, they'll ignore them because they 'only have 99 cooking and fletching'.

This to, its a two way prejudice. When i achieved 100cb a couple of months ago, i found that a lot of people stated calling me a noob, or asking me what my summoning was and then going "haha your cb is only 96 or so then!".

I think they were doing this because level 100+'s had done it to them.

But i think some people who have my experience would start calling low levels noobs and make fun of their levels as a way of subconsciously getting revenge.

So it continues in a never ending spiral of prejudice.

7b6daf2cda.png

[spoiler=Goals]Quest cape: Complete! (for now)

All stats 70+:

othelbark.png

If you are my enemy: May Guthix bring you Rest!

Dragon drops: 2 d meds.

Barrows: Dharok platebody, d med.

I liked the second article as well, although on the point of: the prejudice many P2P members have against F2P.

People will ignore others just because they don't have a 99 or, even worse, they'll ignore them because they 'only have 99 cooking and fletching'.

This to, its a two way prejudice. When i achieved 100cb a couple of months ago, i found that a lot of people stated calling me a noob, or asking me what my summoning was and then going "haha your cb is only 96 or so then!".

But i think some people who have my experience would start calling low levels noobs and make fun of their levels as a way of subconsciously getting revenge.

Public Chat > Off

Solves all of the problems with this terrible community.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem with the first article: it points out that the floors max out at 69, that a lot of people expect a "Wave II" with Dungeoneering like they did with summon, and that perhaps such a wave is not coming.

Well, it is. I read the live FAQ they did, and they mentioned they will be doing a wave two that includes higher level floors (probably up to level 120ish, but they didn't mention any numbers,) a ranged prayer to match the mage prayer and who knows what else. Jagex stated the dungeoneering is....I can't remember it exactly...but like, a blank slate, or just some where they can "re-do" RS, in a way. Make all the skills much more useful, balance the combat triangle and equipment, etc.

Lol, people really seem to forget that they used to be low level newbs themselves....

Incidentally, I find that being a low-level newb is when you get the most enjoyment from the game. As for insulting people, I have a perfect quote in my sig about that...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

in relation to both articles: for me as a high level player, with good skills, and who actually finds dungeoneering fun (an exception going by tip.it posts at least), dungeoneering reinvigorates the community aspect ingame to a very large degree. If you know where to look, you find very nice people to cooperate with. With 5 people spending the good part of an hour or more on a large dungeon, you get to talking about stuff. none-runescape stuff, anything and everything. You cooperate, you share, you help and you interact closely with the same people over and over again.

Before dismissing either the runescape community or dungeoneering, and the vast potential of both, i suggest digging untill you find the right kind of people to dungeoneer with. I know my friendslist hasn't grown so fast (cleaned out and renewed, to be specific) than since i joined my first, and current clan.

If you don't try, the community or fun with dungeoneering won't come by itself. just look a little, you WILL find the most avid, fun, mature ---simply the finest runescapians currently dungeoneering.

in relation to both articles: for me as a high level player, with good skills, and who actually finds dungeoneering fun (an exception going by tip.it posts at least), dungeoneering reinvigorates the community aspect ingame to a very large degree. If you know where to look, you find very nice people to cooperate with. With 5 people spending the good part of an hour or more on a large dungeon, you get to talking about stuff. none-runescape stuff, anything and everything. You cooperate, you share, you help and you interact closely with the same people over and over again.

Before dismissing either the runescape community or dungeoneering, and the vast potential of both, i suggest digging untill you find the right kind of people to dungeoneer with. I know my friendslist hasn't grown so fast (cleaned out and renewed, to be specific) than since i joined my first, and current clan.

If you don't try, the community or fun with dungeoneering won't come by itself. just look a little, you WILL find the most avid, fun, mature ---simply the finest runescapians currently dungeoneering.

i agree =)

dungioneering brings together the high lvls with good skills and also some low levels that are kind and wanna learn usually.

but the dungioneering community is pretty small so people will remember if you do good or bad in the party ect.

batch 2 is coming in around a month or 2

StarViv.png

For the first article, I had not thought about dungeoneering this way before. It is bound to make the skill so much more interesting then it already is. I have one thing I differ on opinion with you about tho. For me at any rate, the entire point of training dungeoneering is for the tokens, not the xp. So getting xp any other way, be it quests, penguin points, or tears of guthix, is missing out on possible tokens. Thats how I look at it at any rate. Others may differ.

For the second article, I enjoyed the read, and agree completely. :D

pere_grin.png

Public Chat > Off

Solves all of the problems with this terrible community.

Lol yes i do some times do that.

Any way i think i should clarify my point, it is genuinely accepted that this prejudice is the P2P's or 100+'s fault.

I think that is wrong, it is both the F2P's and the P2P's fault, probably originally caused by a handful of high level rude people calling some easily agitated low levels noobs.

7b6daf2cda.png

[spoiler=Goals]Quest cape: Complete! (for now)

All stats 70+:

othelbark.png

If you are my enemy: May Guthix bring you Rest!

Dragon drops: 2 d meds.

Barrows: Dharok platebody, d med.

I'm replying to the "did you know" which was posted underneath the articles.

Did you know...

...that shooting poison eggs at Penance Healers at Barbarian Assault resets their poison to 1, regardless of the poison your healer teammate has applied? Beware! (Thanks to infam0us911!)

As far as i know, the healers in BA can be poisoned multiple times. So shooting an egg at a healer which was allready poisoned by a team mate. Would make it take poison "48" from the food in regular intervals, as well as poison from the eggs, in different, but similar regular intervalls, doing around "10" damage.

Please, please, please, check this. People still get flamed for shooting at all due to the myth of shooting costing points, which has been rectified and cleared by Pmod multiple times. I really would hate for people to get flamed more for using the canon in BA.

I'm replying to the "did you know" which was posted underneath the articles.

Did you know...

...that shooting poison eggs at Penance Healers at Barbarian Assault resets their poison to 1, regardless of the poison your healer teammate has applied? Beware! (Thanks to infam0us911!)

As far as i know, the healers in BA can be poisoned multiple times. So shooting an egg at a healer which was allready poisoned by a team mate. Would make it take poison "48" from the food in regular intervals, as well as poison from the eggs, in different, but similar regular intervalls, doing around "10" damage.

Please, please, please, check this. People still get flamed for shooting at all due to the myth of shooting costing points, which has been rectified and cleared by Pmod multiple times. I really would hate for people to get flamed more for using the canon in BA.

Gezz, i support you. I hate the completely random point deduction myth ><

@Dungeoneering one

What i already say myself, What people need to learn is exactly that; it's new, it will get updated.

As for it getting a 2nd patch like summoning, i'm pretty sure Jagex actually confirmed it was happening, just will take a little longer for it to be finished :-/. Poor level 99 dunge nerds.

I aqm in agreement with you. and i, too, find dungeoneering a really fun skill.

Greecl: agreed, mister Eskimo steroid wrestler black guy thingy.

Lite191: =] lol

Greecl: this is going on my siggy on tippit.

lite191: actually im a ninja Eskimo wrestler on steroids with a godsword… on fire.

Greecl: eating a Klondike bar. =p

lite191: yes but it melted=[

Greecl: aw…wish you weren’t on fire now, huh?

lite191 :no.

lite191: Still freaking awesome.me

Greecl: or as Greecl would say… Frosted flakes are better!!!

lite191: agreed.

Shouldn't these articles be written according to "formal" English grammar rules? EG, never, or at least rarely use "I", and "you", etc.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Shouldn't these articles be written according to "formal" English grammar rules? EG, never, or at least rarely use "I", and "you", etc.

Not necessarily. There is no specific format, and many articles are written in a first person, journalistic style.

stormveritas.png

I agree wholeheartedly with the second article. Most of the friends I have are from f2p because like Juhniz said, the content is less in f2p. While in p2p there is so much to do, and everyone is always striving towards attaining something. You rarely see someone step back and actually start a conversation with the person beside them. I personally cannot even remember the time when someone actually spoke a few words with me training slayer in Kuradal's Dungeon.

lol say "sup" to someone while slaying and they hop usually people dont like to talk while slaying dunno why i usually reply to people ;)

StarViv.png

Not necessarily. There is no specific format, and many articles are written in a first person, journalistic style.

Except for the fact that this isn't a journal?

Is it too much to ask that proper rules of grammar and writing be followed?

Stonewall337.png
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)

Except for the fact that this isn't a journal?

Is it too much to ask that proper rules of grammar and writing be followed?

I don't fully agree with this. As much as proper papers and such should be written with proper grammar rules, however, as one who has written short articles similar to this (unrelated to Runescape), people seem to enjoy it more when there is personal opinions (eg: "I" being used) and then relating it to the readers (eg: usage of "you"), rather than being impersonal pronouns and such. I believe that the Tip.it Times consists much more of short pieces, where the personal opinion of the author is expressed, and relates to the reader, rather than research articles, which in my opinion is where proper grammar is definitely required.

~Dan

[Edit]: Although, after reading the second article again, there definitely was several cases where "I" was unnecessarily used, but I seriously don't think most readers would pick up on these small things.

OT: I really enjoyed both of these articles, I really enjoy Dungeoneering as a skill, and I have spent nearly all of my time (if any) Dungeoneering recently. As for the second article, I agree to a point, however, several things has changed in the Runescape community, including the introduction of the Clan chat, which quickly shifted the "gathering of players," and moved to a slightly less personal relationship between players.

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

TBH, personal opinion is rather moot. Rules of grammar and writing aren't open to personal interpretation, as far as to what is acceptable. Certain things always are wrong, other things may be allowed. One should N E V E R use "you". One should use "one".

A forum post is one thing, a more formal piece, such as the Times, should require correct grammar.

Stonewall337.png

TBH, personal opinion is rather moot. Rules of grammar and writing aren't open to personal interpretation, as far as to what is acceptable. Certain things always are wrong, other things may be allowed. One should N E V E R use "you". One should use "one".

A forum post is one thing, a more formal piece, such as the Times, should require correct grammar.

To call the Times 'formal' is wrong. It is an open personalized editorial section. I think that to call it formal is just plain wrong. And Btw, saying 'TBH' isn't exactly grammatically correct, is it? Isay we just agree to dissagree, and leave it at that we will never agree.

Greecl: agreed, mister Eskimo steroid wrestler black guy thingy.

Lite191: =] lol

Greecl: this is going on my siggy on tippit.

lite191: actually im a ninja Eskimo wrestler on steroids with a godsword… on fire.

Greecl: eating a Klondike bar. =p

lite191: yes but it melted=[

Greecl: aw…wish you weren’t on fire now, huh?

lite191 :no.

lite191: Still freaking awesome.me

Greecl: or as Greecl would say… Frosted flakes are better!!!

lite191: agreed.

When I hear "one," it doesn't feel directed towards the reader, it is rather directed towards the general public, when someone uses "you" in their writing, it speaks directly at the person reading it. At least this is how I see it.

overall-1.png: 1437 combat.png: 173
Lowest Combat to 1,000 Total in F2P (23 Combat)
2r8i4.png
Check me out on YouTube!

I keep hearing the voice of the the drill sergeant from "Stripes".

"Settle down... Francis."

The Times is very much informal and open to some format of creative flow. Formality is often boring, and there is certainly no singular format which would govern the general article. There is no desire to limit the reader's experience to scientific journal formatting.

stormveritas.png