Things that annoy the HELL out of you.

Assume Nothing

Well, this has been an ordeal.

-CPU repeatedly experiences heat issues and going into thermal shutdown, becoming more and more frequent. I find out that it's overclocked (bought this PC second-hand), and the stock cooler can't handle it.

-Attempt to install cooling tower, and when removing the heatsink, the CPU comes out with it, bending some pins in the process.

-Rage and watch a tutorial, realizing that I would have had to take out the entire motherboard anyway.

-Attempt to have a PC in the meantime by putting the HDD into an older desktop. While taking it out, one of the brackets snaps.

-Once screwed into the new PC, something is wrong, windows "attempts repairs", nothing comes of it. So the HDD might be screwed.

-Go for a hard shutdown... and the power button pushes into the case.

-End up hooking my brother's old laptop up to my monitor and keyboard. Functionally similar, though gaming isn't happening. And it's Windows 8.

Finally said screw it. I've ordered a new processor, and I'm taking it, the new cooler, and the PC to a computer shop and saying "Here's some cash, you do it."

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.

It was probably driver problems when you put the hdd in the other computer. Putting it back in the computer it belongs too should make it work again unless the startup repair did something it shouldn't have.

But yeah looks like it was an AMD that you have.

Talking about OC, you reminded me I wanted to do it to my computer, it's so old and weak now that I can't do much with it, and I can't afford to build another yet.

It was probably driver problems when you put the hdd in the other computer. Putting it back in the computer it belongs too should make it work again unless the startup repair did something it shouldn't have.

Ah, that helps to know. And it was an AMD. I take it they have a reputation for this kind of thing?

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Ah, that helps to know. And it was an AMD. I take it they have a reputation for this kind of thing?

No it's just because they have PGA processors while Intel has LGA processors. Pins are on the Porcessor for AMD while they are on the motherboard for Intel.

The fact that somehow I manage to book every single evening for at least a week beforehand. Can't have nearly anything done in short term notices...

Case in point: Monday, start with work, then school, then frat classes and dancing.

Tuesday: interview with local elders for my coursework.

Wednesday: Writing an essay.

Thursday: Finishing up said essay.

Friday: Work, then immediately off to Brussels until Monday.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

I don't see how writing an essay and finshing an essay automatically books you for that night. You gotta be flexible with your times.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

Cause it is due date by Thursday midnight.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

The last interview that I need as a basis as my essay takes place on Tuesday...

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

Well, this has been an ordeal.

-CPU repeatedly experiences heat issues and going into thermal shutdown, becoming more and more frequent. I find out that it's overclocked (bought this PC second-hand), and the stock cooler can't handle it.

-Attempt to install cooling tower, and when removing the heatsink, the CPU comes out with it, bending some pins in the process.

-Rage and watch a tutorial, realizing that I would have had to take out the entire motherboard anyway.

-Attempt to have a PC in the meantime by putting the HDD into an older desktop. While taking it out, one of the brackets snaps.

-Once screwed into the new PC, something is wrong, windows "attempts repairs", nothing comes of it. So the HDD might be screwed.

-Go for a hard shutdown... and the power button pushes into the case.

-End up hooking my brother's old laptop up to my monitor and keyboard. Functionally similar, though gaming isn't happening. And it's Windows 8.

Finally said screw it. I've ordered a new processor, and I'm taking it, the new cooler, and the PC to a computer shop and saying "Here's some cash, you do it."

*8-hour sigh*

Took it to a place to have the job done, they basically told me they know nothing about computers but they totally have a guy that does if I come in Friday. Turns out their expert's knowledge ends with HDD and RAM. Ended up putting in the processor myself, but the whole motherboard has to come out before I can put the heatsink in.

*thousand-year sigh*

Edit: Ended up doing the whole damn thing myself. The cooler isn't screwed in correctly AT ALL, but it's not falling out, so as far as I'm concerned it's fine. Now the HDD is giving me troubles as well, but I'll deal with it later. It's enough for me that it boots at all.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

I forgot to take clean underwear with me to this trip.

UN-[bleep]ing-BELIEVABLY bad feeling like this.

Never again.

t3aGt.png

Etc, etc

I forgot to take clean underwear with me to this trip.

UN-[bleep]ing-BELIEVABLY bad feeling like this.

Never again.

You didn't seem to have a need for it during your...erm...previous exploits you bragged about on the Today thread.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I now know enough about color to be annoyed by complaints about blue/orange contrast. I get where they're coming from and it is annoying to see it everywhere, but it's really just devolved into neckbeards and Cracked writers (but I'm repeating myself) saying something is automatically terrible because they put their orangey-skinned hero against a blue sky, and not because of any real design flaws it might have... Or, you know, the fact that there are hundreds of very valid reasons to use it that any designer worth their salt would be aware of.

I mean, hey guys, look at this creatively bankrupt garbage

• Like 1

I now know enough about color to be annoyed by complaints about blue/orange contrast. I get where they're coming from and it is annoying to see it everywhere, but it's really just devolved into neckbeards and Cracked writers (but I'm repeating myself) saying something is automatically terrible because they put their orangey-skinned hero against a blue sky, and not because of any real design flaws it might have... Or, you know, the fact that there are hundreds of very valid reasons to use it that any designer worth their salt would be aware of.

I have no idea what the [bleep] you're talking about

• Like 1

That's a really obscure annoyance :P

77yLQy8.png

I understand why someone would want variety in media so that everyone isn't doing the same thing, but this is a such a subtle thing that deviating from it is going to have almost no effect on the power of the movie for 99% of the population. Yeah, this is kind of a dumb complaint.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I understand why someone would want variety in media so that everyone isn't doing the same thing, but this is a such a subtle thing that deviating from it is going to have almost no effect on the power of the movie for 99% of the population. Yeah, this is kind of a dumb complaint.

Yeah I didn't even notice it until I skimmed the links. Surprised they didn't include Portal in the examples.

My dad's kind of the same way as those guys sometimes, though so I can sort of understand where they're coming from. My parents go to the movies all the time and my dad was just joking about how frequently he hears the "ONLY ONE MAN CAN..." line in movie trailers and stuff. Hell, I saw Interstellar with him last night and he nudged me during the trailers and was like, "See! SEE?! 'ONLY ONE MAN CAN SAVE THE WORLD' in this trailer too!" "Yep you're right, Dad." haha

77yLQy8.png

I feel like a 13-gallon trash bag should be able to hold 13, 1-gallon water bottles.  I was wrong, could barely fit 9...

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

The problem is that the gallon is entirely inside the jug, but the jugs don't tesselate, so there's outside air volume to take into account as well.

You could cut them in half and fit them inside each other, then you'd fit even more than 13, because the inside air volume wouldn't be a problem either.

• Like 1

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off