Schools confiscating students' property

Fizzzard

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's legal for them to take it, but I'm pretty sure they have to give it back eventually. Atleast that's how it is hear. Dozens of people get their phones taken everyday in my school. To get it back, you just have to agree to show up to detention once or twice. Otherwise, it's stealing. And the law doesn't look very high upon thefts of personal property 'round these parts.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

Don't bring it in to school? Things like that only take common sense to know they will get confiscated. Almost any item which is not going to be used to learn in a lesson can get confiscated. the things you learn in school about how to obey rules and how to follow them properly can pay off a lot in later life in developing you into an adult.

My school bans sharpies and white out. How is this common sense not to bring it? If I write a mistake on pen, isn't common sense to fix it with white-out? If I want to write words on notecards wouldn't it be common sense to use a sharpie? If it's cold isn't it common sense to wear gloves or a hat? All those items are banned in my school. Why? [cabbage] relations to gangs and graffiti (except for the white out which I don't know how you can write on a wall with that).

Apparently some gangsters like to draw gang signs in White-Out for some reason... Of course, you could just rake it off.

Questioning these people and finding out what has happened to fix it is much more important than following bureaucratic rules.

In order to fight government bureaucracies, Congress passed legislation that allows the creation of the Department of Anti-Bureaucratic Affairs.

[/sarcasm]

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Depending on the type of whiteout, it's possible to concentrate and inhale the fumes for a 'high' - people do it with spray paint (chroming that is) so if they're desperate enough.. whiteout is a decent substitute. Stupid reason to ban it tho, just expel the kids for doing drugs.

Ya, schools tend to use the Guantanamo approach to rule breakers these days.

Get home schooled.

Both my parents have to work; your statement is not broad enough to cover a good quantity of people, as these days, many kids/teens have both parents working.

[hide=A funny conversation]Me:Have u wondered how my brassard, which leaves my chest bare, give about the same def as ur pile of rocks?

Friend:Hahaha

Friend:Maybe you are just good at blocking with your shoulder?

Me:Ahahahahaha[/hide]Rare drops: 4 D legs, 1 D skirt

Barrows items: 2 Verac's helms, 1 Dhorak's Greataxe, 1 Dhorak's platelegs, 2 Karil's leathertops, 1 Karil's crossbow, 1 Guthan's chainskirt

Quest cape achieved 28 Dec, 2009, lost with Nomad's Requiem, re-obtained on 19 Mar 2010.

Fire cape achieved 1 Nov 2010.

I support it. People should have common sense not to text, or use your phone during class. Afaik, sharpies and liquid wite outs do carry harmful substances,

and can easily be substituted with another equipment.

Cell phones weren't popular yet when I was going to highschool. I can only imagine how much it irritates teachers these days. They should be able to confiscate phones too if people get caught using them in class.

arcy777-2.jpg
arcsig.jpg
2001-2006 the fourth and last legit 123 on classic
123 classic/137 rs2 Native American Pride

Not sure how this post is going, read it and left it.

how ever how about this for Schools confiscating property: I left school over 5 years ago, and just recieved a message on facebook from my old A level bio teacher saying he just found my phone he confiscated from me in year 7! how is that for some vintage confiscation :P 12 years!!!!!! i dont even remember it lol, may just go get it to see what phone it was lol :thumbsup:

Or its a trap :ohnoes:

soon see lol

Teshi...

[hide=Stats & Goals]

teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

Teshiburu.png

[/hide]

Feel Free To Add Me In Game I Love Talking To Anyone| Void Knight Justicar

99s In Order of Achievement: Fletching, Strength, Cooking]

Cell phones weren't popular yet when I was going to highschool. I can only imagine how much it irritates teachers these days. They should be able to confiscate phones too if people get caught using them in class.

It pisses me off when sometimes teachers confiscate a phone after it rings, it's not as if he told someone to call him during class on purpose.

Other than that, almost nothing is confiscated here other than real weapons, but people don't bring them to school anyway. All this laser\sharpie\whiteout ban you guys have is quite weird imo.

In regards to phones... put the damn things on silent/off or you deserve to have it confiscated. You can't answer it anyways, so no point being notified during a class, just check it afterwards.

My sister was listening to her ipod in class and her teacher took it, then someone in her class stole it, so she didn't get it back. They shouldn't take student's stuff, it's stupid...

cursedtoastsignature.png

Come to #tip-it on Swift IRC, if you're cool

My sister was listening to her ipod in class and her teacher took it, then someone in her class stole it, so she didn't get it back. They shouldn't take student's stuff, it's stupid...

Your sister should not have been listening to the iPod and her teacher was just doing her job correctly. It's neither of their fault that her classmate is a thief but it is your sister's fault that it was taken up.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Well the teacher must have done a really good job of putting it somewhere safe :rolleyes: So I'd blame the teacher too.

The teacher is to be blamed for that, definately. Taking a phone for being distracting is one acceptable thing, but not taking rightful measures in safeweguarding it is not. We take overly excessive care for real criminals, but little for students? Come now...

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Well the teacher must have done a really good job of putting it somewhere safe :rolleyes: So I'd blame the teacher too.

The teacher is to be blamed for that, definately. Taking a phone for being distracting is one acceptable thing, but not taking rightful measures in safeweguarding it is not. We take overly excessive care for real criminals, but little for students? Come now...

Schools aren't responsible for the theft of student's items anyways. If she didn't wanted it taken up or stolen, she should've left it at home.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Schools aren't responsible for the theft of student's items anyways. If she didn't wanted it taken up or stolen, she should've left it at home.

That is like the police towing your car away because you parked five minutes overtime, then someone steals it. The police was not to blame because you, doidaresayit, broke the rules?!

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

That is like the police towing your car away because you parked five minutes overtime, then someone steals it. The police was not to blame because you, doidaresayit, broke the rules?!

It would be my fault, because if I had been more mindful, my car wouldn't have been towed or stolen.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

It would be my fault, because if I had been more mindful, my car wouldn't have been towed or stolen.

Yeah, because it was the rape victim's fault she went into that street missing one streetlight. She should of stayed at the bar.

Yeah, because it was my fault construction workers didn't fix a pothole on a very steep road. I should of stayed on top of the hill.

Yeah, because it was my fault a F16 flew over my house and bombed it. I should of gotten out.

Yeah, because it was my fault Hitler killed me. I should of stopped being Jewish.

Yeah, because it was my fault I was executed innocently. I should of bribed the juries.

Yeah, because it was my fault unjust punishments fit unfair rules. Riku, stop thinking the authority is a honest and accurate thing. It's not.

siggy3s.jpg

Yeah, because it was the rape victim's fault she went into that street missing one streetlight. She should of stayed at the bar.

Yeah, because it was my fault construction workers didn't fix a pothole on a very steep road. I should of stayed on top of the hill.

Yeah, because it was my fault a F16 flew over my house and bombed it. I should of gotten out.

Yeah, because it was my fault Hitler killed me. I should of stopped being Jewish.

Yeah, because it was my fault I was executed innocently. I should of bribed the juries.

Yeah, because it was my fault unjust punishments fit unfair rules. Riku, stop thinking the authority is a honest and accurate thing. It's not.

Those are ridiculous examples that most have absolutely no control over. The iPod and the car were examples of known rules being broken and people doing their jobs correctly. What happens after that would have been completely avoided if they hadn't broken the rules in the first place.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

Those are ridiculous examples that most have absolutely no control over. The iPod and the car were examples of known rules being broken and people doing their jobs correctly. What happens after that would have been completely avoided if they hadn't broken the rules in the first place.

When the police tow your car, you're supposed to be able to reclaim it. If they're lax enough to then allow it to be stolen, that is their fault.

The only difference between Hitler and the man next door who comes home and beats his kids every day is circumstance. The intent is the same-- to harm others.

[hide=Tifers say the darndest things]

I told her there was a secret method to doing it - and there is - but my once nimble and agile fingers were unable to perform because I was under the influence.

I would laugh, not hate. I'm a male. :(

Since when was Ireland an island...? :wall:

I actually have a hobby of licking public toilet seats.

[/hide]

You live in the country that has schools spying on students' private life with their own laptops. Forget that laser pointer and flee to Canada. While you still can.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Yes it is legal to confiscate it. Some people's eyes are super sensitive to laser pointers and your friend was probably being an idiot and flashing people with it.

No, it's not legal for someone to confiscate things - a school may keep it until the end of the day; but if they do not give it back to you after that it is theft anywhere in the United States. If the security guard was a sworn police officer, they may keep it for an extended period, but only if it is evidence in a crime investigation.

Go demand it back, get your parents in on it if they don't and report it stolen if they still won't return it.

You live in the country that has schools spying on students' private life with their own laptops. Forget that laser pointer and flee to Canada. While you still can.

A school that is now under investigation by the FBI and the subject of a civil rights lawsuit. Canada and Europe are both worse.

Yes it is legal to confiscate it. Some people's eyes are super sensitive to laser pointers and your friend was probably being an idiot and flashing people with it.

No, it's not legal for someone to confiscate things - a school may keep it until the end of the day; but if they do not give it back to you after that it is theft anywhere in the United States. If the security guard was a sworn police officer, they may keep it for an extended period, but only if it is evidence in a crime investigation.

Go demand it back, get your parents in on it if they don't and report it stolen if they still won't return it.

At my school your phone can be confiscated, turned into the campus police, and you'll need to bring a parent and they have to pay a fine in order to get it back. Why? Because it's in our student code of conduct which both students and parents are to read and sign while registering for the school year. As long as it's in the code of conduct, it's perfectly legal.

lighviolet1lk4.jpg

At my school your phone can be confiscated, turned into the campus police, and you'll need to bring a parent and they have to pay a fine in order to get it back. Why? Because it's in our student code of conduct which both students and parents are to read and sign while registering for the school year. As long as it's in the code of conduct, it's perfectly legal.

Still wrong. Simply put, you cannot sign away your constitutional rights (in this case to property) in a contract. In other words, permanently confiscating any property from a student is theft unless the student is given substantive due process; which is usually a full hearing in which the school is entitled to present their argument and the student to present their defense; such hearings are -extremely- rare outside the context of drugs and guns. Similarly, the policy you mentioned regarding fines is also illegal as paying the fine is tantamount to surrendering one piece of property - the fine - to recover another you already own - the phone. Such protections were clarified and clearly defined in the 14th amendment and subsequent SCOTUS cases regarding the condition of freed slaves.